Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig Pro 5?

Which one do you think is better?
Old 29th September 2011
Gear addict

Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumtracks View Post
Which one do you think is better?
We cannot select your poison for you but I'd go for Amplitube 3 and if you have money left I'd buy Redwirez IRs.

For $125 you hace 49 cabinets with 22 mics, 6 mics positions for each mic/cab combination and 10 distances for each mic position.

I have Amplitube and the cabs sound good, but the IRs I've tried from Redwirez totally kill the cab simulation of every single ampsim out there.

For example:

Rectifier cab with a royer R121 mic, pointing at the cone at 3 inches

Rectifier cab with a royer R121 mic, pointing at the edge of the cone at 0.5 inches

And so... I really think that the cab simulation is what makes the difference in an ampsim.
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks. I wasn't looking for anyone to make a decision for me,I just wanted to hear people's opinions from those that have used both.
Old 29th September 2011
Gear maniac

amplitube 3 is free (with basics amp&cab) & you buy what you need in the custom shop directly from amplitube (amp/cab/stomp....)
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear
Don't waste ANY money before you try the free LePou plugins with redwirez impulses. I've tried every sim, and this setup kills then in both sound AND CPU efficiency.
Old 29th September 2011
POD HD...I really like Amplitube, but I find that the POD HD sounds a little better after getting in and adding some room sounds.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

I own Guitar Rig 5 Pro and I do not like it other than for trippy effects and some clean sounds.

I prefer Overloud TH2 10X more.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
I own Guitar Rig 5 Pro and I do not like it other than for trippy effects and some clean sounds.

I prefer Overloud TH2 10X more.
Overloud TH2 is underrated.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Overloud TH2 is underrated.
For sure, for high gain it's the best I've used.

I owned/tried:

Guitar Rig 5
Softube Metal Amp Room
Revalver MK 3
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 30th September 2011
Gear nut

I own them both-

Amp3 generally has a sound that I perceive as closer to a real amp than other amp sims, including GR. Its leslie simulation is the best I've heard in software.

GR has the better interface, cooler effect presets, and easier routing of complex chains. Also better for processing a stereo input source, which is a pain to do in Amplitube.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have both and end up using both, probably out of boredom or in the interest in trying to learn each one well. I can get good sounds from each. If I had to pick my favorite I'd say Amp3 as it has a more realistic tube amp sound and character. I've experimented with cabinet sims but for my workflow I usually don't bother. I used to be more into reamping things later with one of my 5 real amps but that's not the case so much anymore as all this stuff sounds really nice! I do think it helps to have a nice signal chain going in. I use the MOTU zbox I to an API 3124 or Reddi.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Guitar Rig for me, though I'm still using version 4.

It's the most versatile fx plugin, as well as being an "amp sim"
Old 30th September 2011
Banned

Try out AmpliTube 3 FREE and see how you like it. If you act now you'll also get an extra free amp too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
For sure, for high gain it's the best I've used.

I owned/tried:

Guitar Rig 5
Softube Metal Amp Room
Revalver MK 3

You should REALLY try out the Soldano SLO-100 in the Custom Shop - KILLER.
Old 30th September 2011
Gear addict

Soldano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Try out AmpliTube 3 FREE and see how you like it. If you act now you'll also get an extra free amp too!

You should REALLY try out the Soldano SLO-100 in the Custom Shop - KILLER.
I have the Soldano SLO-100, now I'm using American Vintage D a lot since I got it freebie .

I think Amplitube should include an IR loader, because I tend to bypass the cabinet and use 3rd party IRs.
Old 1st October 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
I have the Soldano SLO-100, now I'm using American Vintage D a lot since I got it freebie .

I think Amplitube should include an IR loader, because I tend to bypass the cabinet and use 3rd party IRs.
Awesome! :D Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted76 View Post
I own them both-

Amp3 generally has a sound that I perceive as closer to a real amp than other amp sims, including GR. Its leslie simulation is the best I've heard in software.

GR has the better interface, cooler effect presets, and easier routing of complex chains. Also better for processing a stereo input source, which is a pain to do in Amplitube.
Amplitube 3 has the best software Leslie and newer amps are very accurate.

Overloud TH2 Respire is the best Cab / Mic section.

GR4 has the best UI of them all plus a ring mod.

Mokafix has the best distortion and overdrive stomp emulations bar none.
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Head

I don't have Guitar Rig 5 yet, but I've been using ReValver III.V and Guitar Rig 4, plus I've tried Overloud TH1 and LePou plug ins as well. They're all good and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I recently bought the full version of Amplitube 3 while IK had their 3 for 1 sale on and have to say I'm really impressed. It's awesome. The custom shop is a great idea and I've bought a few of the new pieces there recently too. The Soldano amp, Engl (Anger) amp, Power Grid and T-Rex Møller pedals are fantastic and I use all of them a lot. There are also some amazing presets posted by other users who obviously know how to get the best out of the software.

After using all of the other programs I mentioned I'd have to say Amplitube 3 wins!

+1 on the IR loader feature for Amplitube, although there's nothing wrong with the supplied cabinets. The flexibility would be good though.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

That AT3 Copper AMP is killer. They also did a bang up job on those SVX and Fender expansions.

It would be interesting to compare GR stomps with the equivalent versions in Amplitbue.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Amplitube 3 has broken away from the pack. I used to have an Axe Fx II and Line 6 Pod Pro XT. Not even close. But Amplitube 3 is very resource dependent. Need a fast CPU with plenty of RAM.
Old 18th October 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
That AT3 Copper AMP is killer. They also did a bang up job on those SVX and Fender expansions.

It would be interesting to compare GR stomps with the equivalent versions in Amplitbue.
We'd love to see that comparison! We welcome competition! Have you guys heard the new gear models we just released?

AmpliTube Custom Shop New Gear - Jet City, German Gain, Hi Amp and 2 Mics - YouTube
Old 18th October 2011
Banned

Old 18th October 2011
Gear addict

I like the amps in amplitube better but the effects in guitar rig and the cab/mic stuff from two notes. My favorite sim setup right now is the slo amp in amplitube going into a parallel effects chain in guitar rig and then into pi-free. My next purchase will most likely be the full torpedo pi product, it's the best cab/mic product I've heard yet. The guitar rig stuff is more flexible but I think the amplitube stuff sounds better - except the effects.
Old 18th October 2011
The Hiwatt is the bomb...in AT3.7
Old 19th October 2011
Banned

Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

I've been in love with Amplitube since ever.
Amplitube 3.7 got stucked in my mind...

BUT, I've tried 2 guitars into my audio interface and then routed to my DAW and lot of samples and some MIDI at the same time. NO WAY for Amplitube, saddly.

Also tried Amplitube into Reaper loops/markers and etc., it had lost to Guitar Rig. Amplitube seems to clip or bug my RAM with Reaper loops.

I really love Amplitube tones, amps, UI and the ease of use, but the RAM/CPU killer thing is bugging me a lot. I like to have 3 or 3+ channels of guitars into the same project or live setup and some MIDI channels routed to the Amplitube tracks. Unfortunately, it's killing my RAM and CPU, something that Guitar Rig (or the new stuff I'm about to try) isn't.

Last edited by dbmind; 7th May 2012 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 7th May 2012
Banned

Try the new 3.7.1 version now available for download in your user area. Over 30% less ram and CPU and a few bugs taken care of.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Try the new 3.7.1 version now available for download in your user area. Over 30% less ram and CPU and a few bugs taken care of.
That's what I'm running.
Old 7th May 2012
Banned

Please contact our support for 1 on 1 help. This also helps us note any bugs to improve future updates.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Head

Another one to check out is Scuffham S-Gear. The selection of amps and effects is tiny compared to the others, but what it does sounds fantastic.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search