New Reply
Subscribe
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
that's exactly what I have planned :-)
Could also learn the logic commands also also. also.

When you trash you logic prefs you have to reset that command info again....I have read where people store that info and reapply it to after trashing.but I don't know where or how... wasn't paying attention also, also.....
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear maniac

ok I know this is based on looks alone but - hubba hubba!

Tell me more about Harrison MixBus! So basically it's a analogue desk sim?

goody goody gum drops if so!
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I know some people using logic for production and then sending it off to get mixed in pro tools. I therefore often get the question on how to send the project from logic to PT.
This video explains it pretty well although I m sure there are other ways to do it:
Puremix_how to export from logic to pro tools
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Head

Yup, as Warren G would say in "So many ways..."

RIP TRAYVON MARTIN!

An innocent child murdered by an evil man

President Obama needs to help... this is real... please help anyone
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by willco View Post
You can't change Pro Tools shortcuts. You are better off learning the pro tools ones and mapping the comparable functions in logic to the same key strokes. Hit alt+k (I think from memory) in logic to set up custom key commands.
There's a program call Quickeys that can allow you do make your own key commands for ones Pro Tools doesn't assign by default. I think MacOS can do this as well, but Quickeys can do tons of extra stuff as well. For example, I've made a shortcut that creates a new track, routes another track to it and arms it all ready to bounce. It really make a lot of things much faster especially since it can chain multiple actions together when you hit a single key command.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear nut

Even more recently I'm experimenting by recording the click and drum tracks to analog tape and tracking
guitars and bass right on my Tascam 388 old school,forcing better takes,then transferring that into Pro Tools.
But that's a whole nother deal in itself I won't get into.[/QUOTE]

Please get into it! I would like to start doing the same. Send drums from logic to tape and then finish on tape and send the tracks back to logic. What's your formula? I know it's a little off topic but...
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzyo View Post
Even more recently I'm experimenting by recording the click and drum tracks to analog tape and tracking
guitars and bass right on my Tascam 388 old school,forcing better takes,then transferring that into Pro Tools.
But that's a whole nother deal in itself I won't get into.
Please get into it! I would like to start doing the same. Send drums from logic to tape and then finish on tape and send the tracks back to logic. What's your formula? I know it's a little off topic but...[/QUOTE]

I can use one recent song as an example. I kind of used Logic along
the way at various points but to get audio to the tape I actually had
to use Pro tools on my old PC using my Delta Card with 8 outputs.
it can work with Logic just the same though if you have the right interface.

I had the idea of doing this down in my head but no songs ready to use
so I grabbed an old demo transferred from a PT session into Logic and
expanded the song out to a couple minutes. I have a method of writing
my songs using 1 bar chords as midi files and using a piano VI of some kind
(Pro tools Velvet in this case,bounced as audio and transferred to logic)

Once the arrangement was down, I had a guide track with chords. I soloed
Klopfgeist and bounced it down as a stereo audio file. I routed EZ drummer
down to 4 channels...Kick, snare and two overheads..and bounced them
as audio files. I now had a click track,electric piano/chord guide track and
4 tracks of drums. To save tape tracks I combined the first 4 bars of the click
with the kick and snare so I would have a count off.

So I now have 5 audio tracks. great!! but my Project mix I/O only has 4
outputs and two of them are for my monitors. I realized I had my delta
card with 8 outputs on my old PC. So I burned the wav. files onto a DVD.
I still had my PT 7.3 on that system plus my license on my ilok so I pulled
the files up in Pro tools and set the routing up for 5 mono outputs.
I have my Delta card hard wired into my Tascam 388 via patchbay so I
spooled up a junk reel,cued it in place,set my levels and hit record.
(the 388 has separate inputs that bypass the mixer and go direct to tape)

I plugged my headphones into the tascam and set up the monitor cue mix
and when I played it back I was impressed with the way the drums sounded
coming off the tape. REALLY punchy! Great! So now I have 3 tracks left
so I setup an all analog chain using a Large condenser>Joe Meek Preamp
patched into the tape track 6 and put down an acoustic guitar. I messed up
the chords but proceeded onward by recording bass guitar direct on track 8.
I was so eager to hear how it sounded I didn't care if the parts were messed up. lol!

Once the tracks were recorded I cued the tape up. The Tascam's direct outs
are hard wired into all 8 line inputs on my Project Mix. I already had a
Pro Tools session setup for 8 tracks of audio ready to go. So I hit record and
pressed play on the 388 and transferred them back in. I chose Pro tools
because I prefer to edit and mix there now 100%.

I found it interesting because I was listening more and even though I
screwed the parts up, I found myself striving more to get them right
and it was nice not staring at a screen the whole time and not having
computer fans whirling cut down on the noise was a bonus. The cool thing
is once i have good takes and they are transferred I can go back and
record more parts along to the same drum tracks on the tape. You just
transfer them all over and line them up according to the click/drum tracks.
They are recorded from the same start point on the tape so the variance
in tape speed doesn't affect it.

I should note that Pro Tools is best for lining things up as you can combine
regions into groups and it makes things easier. Just un-group, delete the duplicates
and your ready to go. It could be done in Logic but not sure if I wanna try it lol!

Sorry for the long drawn out post lol! It was a really complicated way to
go about it but it worked. The process is going to be different now as
I'm going to be running an ADAT interface direct to the 8 track from
the Project Mix. Burning wav files and transferring them to another
computer was a PITA and going back to PT 7.3 from PT 9 is painful
on the eyes lol!

You can certainly do it using just Logic. If you want to record any midi
on top of the tape transfer your grid won't line up so you'll have to
have to do tempo detection/match if you want to quantize and stay
in sync with the metronome.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Hi,

I wonder why would someone want to use Logic and Pro Tools together-for other than simple or practical stuff... Like someone else in this thread who also owned PT for years, I've barely had one single request for doing something in PT. I've had several for doing stuff in Logic, because many composers/musicians use Logic. Nevertheless, I spent some time last month trying out PT, after having told myself a few times that I'm sure I won't like it much since I'm so used to Logic, and therefore will come to highly biased conclusions.

I wasn't looking for conclusions re. which DAW is best. As a matter of fact, I'm not interested enough in PT for that. But when it comes to the topic of this thread, I seriously question the value of using them together for anything but really simple tasks. I'm relatively convinced that it's a lot better to spend time on being really fluent in one of them than being quite good in both.

Of course I got a number of those "PT must be silly because it doesn't do things the way Logic does it"-moments. And I didn't spend much time on eg. Memory Locations in PT, a feature where PT users claim to be better Logic. Why? Because when I opened the Memory Locations window, there were a lot of icons there with no explaining text, not even upon mouseover. This was everything but a scientific comparison.

One reason I don't think it's really worth try to master both is that they - to my surprise - actually are very different, particularly when it comes to workflow. PT has some goodies Logic hasn't (one can rearrange tracks in the mixer freely, select and move multiple tracks in the main window etc), and I of course came across many things that didn't seem to have a simple solution in PT - or a solution at all. So I checked with some PT fluent people here and there - plus that site which lists feature and workflow wishes PT users have, and I couldn't find the equivalent of loads of Logic features/solutions in PT because they don't exist.

Just activating a click took time in PT, and when I found out how to do it, the click was pitched (!). The Beat Detective and Elastic Audio features aren't integrated into each other. Plain zoom/multi-select/delete features across several tracks are either not there or not done the Apple way. Key commands can't be assigned - fair enough (sort of) - but there are so few of them compared with in Logic, and I really heavily on key commands to work fast. I could go on, but won't (I already wrote a little about it here and here anyway). And so on....

Of course PT users will easily find things PT can do which Logic can't as well - plus stuff Logic can do, but in a different way or using a different name for the feature.

5-10 years ago (until Logic 8, actually), it seems that PT was used more among Gearslutz members than Logic. The most recent polls I've seen suggest that Logic is generally/overall used as much or more than Logic. And sure, we've had that "What's the industry standard?" and "Are we talking about one industry (standard)?" discussion on GS a few times before - no need to repeat them in this thread. It just seems that nowadays, both DAWs have found it's market, and I guess I just wrote this because it seems like a rather bad idea to try to share one's time equally between Logic and PT - and because this thread was 'sticky', so I see it a lot). :-)

But why don't the other two of the Three Big DAWs (Cubase and Logic) have dedicated subforums on GS... anyone?
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me what's involved in taking a finished Logic song into a PT studio environment, if all I want is to send my tracks out through the audio interface?

In other words: I have a song that I'd like to finish on a mixing console and outboard gear. How much work is it to, say, play the song (heavy on virtual instruments, and a few esoteric plugins) off my laptop in Logic through the typical studio's PT HD interfaces? Or would I have to bounce everything to audio first and import that into Pro Tools software?

Peece,
T. Tauri
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri View Post
Can anyone tell me what's involved in taking a finished Logic song into a PT studio environment, if all I want is to send my tracks out through the audio interface?

In other words: I have a song that I'd like to finish on a mixing console and outboard gear. How much work is it to, say, play the song (heavy on virtual instruments, and a few esoteric plugins) off my laptop in Logic through the typical studio's PT HD interfaces? Or would I have to bounce everything to audio first and import that into Pro Tools software?

Peece,
T. Tauri

If you want to trigger your MIDI tracks off your laptop, you'll need an interface that can accommodate the number of audio tracks you want to record into, plus your laptop will have to slave MTC for lock on the PT timeline. This means that if you have an 8-ch interface and you have 64 tracks, that's 8 passes in realtime. If you are outputting analog tracks, then you'll need analog inputs on the PT side. If you are using a digital format (Ie. ADAT), you'll need word clock for sync, and either ADAT on the PT side, or a format convertor.

This can all be done, but it's tedious & time-consuming to reassign outputs for each record pass, with no real benefit in quality or performance....

OR.....

You could just bounce your audio tracks on the laptop side from bar 1 - beat 1, and import all the audio tracks into ProTools... and you're done.
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_mattie View Post
If you want to trigger your MIDI tracks off your laptop, you'll need an interface that can accommodate the number of audio tracks you want to record into,
What I'm trying to figure out is: can a studio's Pro Tools HD system be that interface? --without importing the song or audio files into the Pro Tools software, just separating each of my Logic song's tracks through the PT interface outputs into a mixing console's channels, and staying out of the digital domain for everything else downstream.

Peece,
T. Tauri
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
What I'm trying to figure out is: can a studio's Pro Tools HD system be that interface? --without importing the song or audio files into the Pro Tools software, just separating each of my Logic song's tracks through the PT interface outputs into a mixing console's channels, and staying out of the digital domain for everything else downstream.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Why bother? There is no advantage that I can see, unless you have to maintain the ability to make changes at the midi level...

Doesn't an HD system require a PCI card? That automatically removes your laptop as an option to connect to the interface.

Hope that helps. It's a bit of thread hijack, so let's get back on topic.
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peece,
T. Tauri
??? Not knowing, but PT is WAV LP is Aiff........(as you know)

(JUST?) as a contractor always kills me but.

I fell behind in the times.
stay out of the digital domain.....why not....and record it to what? (tape?)

then you kinda locked in in tape multi tracking.

What are your intensions. do you what to add things?

Work in logic and stay in logic till the end unless you felt compelled to go into protools (via audio files).

(just a thought though.......pt and lp rewire with reason......each can send midi thru the rewire to reason.......can a reason midi cross between logic and pt....interesting. thankyou......you have me curious).

But I would think you need to get the (LP) aiff together than if compelled send it to pt (WAV).and your locked in.......
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
??? Not knowing, but PT is WAV LP is Aiff........(as you know)
Nope. You can choose to record and work in wav, aif and caf with Logic. You can even work with all 3 in the same project.
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

in pt 10 I guess?

they go back and forth I think but does pt not transpose (import) to wav anymore?

sorry......you mentioned logic.......

wav is all pt correct? you can import to pt to a wav but pt is still wav correct???
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

In Logic you need to export to wav to be able to work on PT yeah
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

thank you.
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

sorry, just thinking......

why can't all the big boys get on the same page ....if you can export (and import) to the same page anyway?
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Wow you guys must have a really special copy of PT, because it can't even think of doing what Logic can do with VI's and plug ins.

I do what the earlier poster said as well, work in Logic and then got to PT for overdubs and mix.
Me too, I'm able to be more of an artist in Logic, and more of an engineer in Pro Tools, so I bring the files to PT, after bouncing vi's to audio.

Even in PT 10, midi is still more clunky than Logic for me.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
In Logic you need to export to wav to be able to work on PT yeah
it's best to do it that way.
mat1
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear addict

OP here, I've switched from Logic to Ableton. Once the bulk of the VI stuff is done I bounce it all to PT and carry on working. Love the workflow so far. Took me a long time to realise Logic wasn't for me
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear maniac

Used Logic for years. Recently got into Pro Tools 9 and love it.

I write songs, edit midi files & use some of the amp models in Logic, bounce those down & then import them into Pro Tools. Do 90% of my audio tracking in Pro Tools.

It's working fine for me

Rude people still suck & sadly they are not in short supply.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear interested

I love both Pro Tools and Logic. I always thought that I would never be able to make the crossover to Pro Tools from Logic as far as composing and arranging, however I've found that after doing my homework, learning shortcuts, and forcing myself to use the program that it actually works better for me. Particularly with audio files, and as someone who does a lot of work with samples- PT is great.

But here is where it gets interesting: I do a lot of traveling. Because of PT's iLock situation, I find it easier to work with Logic while on the road. This way my Macbook pro with 2 USB ports can have one dedicated to a small midi controller, and a harddrive (if necessary), or USB thumb drive, or whatever it may be.

I do love logic's midi functionality and will sometimes make a midi loop in logic, bounce it to a .wav and then import to PT. Saves CPU and is easier to work with.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear interested

Been using Logic since the emagic days. I only recently got into protools and am a bit behind the learning curve. That said I prefer to end sessions in PT because of compatibility with other studios.
i_o
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
i_o
Gear interested

PT Logic & Ableton

Personally, when writing music I like to program in Logic, and for audio manipulation (especially quantised or grid based) I love the ease, power and creative possibilities of Ableton, running into Logic as a ReWire slave.

For post production mixing I much prefer to use Pro Tools.

Next time I write some music I'm going to render everything to stems & try to mix it in PT..never tried this before.

Just a note on bouncing from Logic. I can't put my finger on what it is, but my bounced files never sound quite as good as live playback does. Something goes missing in the translation. It just doesn't sound like it's alive, which of course it isn't, as it's a copy. Maybe it's because I bounce offline. Must do a A/B comparison, perhaps I've been missing a trick. Anyone else ever noticed this?
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear interested

Hi. Never had issues with L9.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

I think there are some benefits as other people have mentioned.
However they are roughly the same thing, and you certainly dont NEED both.
Personally, I like to use logic and reason together, as there both quite different.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

With all due respect, Logic & Protools are not basically the same thing. The user interface is completely different, and as a result, the workflow is different.

IMHO, Logic is clearly the DAW of choice for creative endeavours (pre-production, composing, arranging), and ProTools is still a rock-solid DAW for tracking sessions & mix, not to mention the most common DAW found in facilities world-wide (speaks to compatibility).

Not to say that people don't use Logic to mix or track, or PT for composing... just saying that their strengths seem to lie in the areas I mentioned.

Again, my opinion. May work different for you, and no disrespect intended.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

Logic & Protools 10 here. I work in other studios that are protools only. Protools is cool and I like audiosuite and the way waveforms reflect fades and gain changes, but other then that it's similar to me. I do 99% of my mixing in logic because I find that easier on the eyes and easier on the mind. Comping is so much easier in Logic. And for me logic is more stable. I had protools freak out on me a lot more times then logic, and that during basic simple audio tracking.

That said; I started on logic and know my way around without thinking. I'm sure I would prefer Protools if I started on that, is just a matter of what you are accustomed to. Most discussions I see arguing for the one or the other are based on pure lack of knowledge about the programs, or the assumption that Protools is more expensive and therefore better. Protools HD has the advantage of (near) realtime processing if you need that (which I don't) so I can see why people would prefer that.

And that's basically it: what do you prefer? It's a matter of taste really. Whatever makes it easier for you to focus on the music (although I can't use Abelton because I can 'hear' it, but that's another topic).

www.ietmusic.com
www.mokosound.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search