Login / Register
 
Using Logic and Pro Tools together?
New Reply
Subscribe
#31
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
SKyflash34's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 662

SKyflash34 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
Thanks for this .

I'm wondering, when you export midi from Logic to PT are there ever any issues?

My plan is to only use cross party(?) plugins so the DAW isn't such a big part of the sound. That way in theory I going from Logic to PT shouldn't take too much effort. I love the EXS24 but I'm assuming Kontakt can do the same things? I just got Komplete 8.
For the most part there aren't any issues aside from making sure where you
export the midi files. For me I always save them to the external folder with
the wav's or create a separate folder for all my midi files. Just make sure
you allow Pro Tools to include all the data(there is a prompt asking what to
extract/import into the PT session..ie..key,tempo etc)

Actually I'm taking the same approach as you in having a specific set of 3rd
party plugins so that transition is smooth. As far as Kontakt is concerned
I only use the player version with a few select libraries but I imagine the full
version is quite more than capable. the EXS is old code now and hasn't been
updated in years.

FWIW I will add that even the basic free version of Structure included with
Pro Tools can also import EXS patches/instruments though I haven't tried
a lot of factory sounds, only a few basic patches I created dragging wav's
into EXS. Not sure how the filters and amplitude settings translate.
#32
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
SKyflash34's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 662

SKyflash34 is offline
One thing I will add in regards to bouncing virtual instruments in Logic is that
you have to pay close attention to the outputs of the instruments you are rendering.
I find some channels need to be stereo and some mono on multitimbral or
multi-output VI's. For instance, with EZ drummer, I always find my kicks
and snares get bounced to stereo wav's when I want them to be mono and
I always find myself having to re-bounce them to mono and re-import to PT.

I will admit sometimes it would be easier to do it in Pro Tools even if it's
a pain setting up separate busses and audio tracks to record to and cluttering
the session up. Thank god it's easy to hide tracks in PT.

What would be a nice feature is if you could have a combined hidden audio
track within Pro Tools instrument tracks so all you have to do is click the drop down
a la playlist view,and have an instant internally bussed audio track to bounce
your instrument to. Need more tracks for bouncing drums or samplers? click
the audio playlist "+" button and bam, you have more audio channels instantly routed
with the option for mono/stereo.

Hmm I think I'm gonna head over to Idea Scale right now!....
#33
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
  #33
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 190

kongwee is offline
Don't really get what you. Logic can combine tracks and hidden under track "folder". I never done that. I saw that example. I don't remember how it is done, so I think not easy.
#34
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Birmingham/UK
Posts: 1,770

gussyg2007 is online now
protools....logic....????
I had to run off ....main mix,no lead mix ,underscore mix and stems for 39 tracks
realtime bouncing in PT anybody ?
and for that reason and that reason alone ... I'm out !
#35
29th September 2011
Old 29th September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 789

David Ray is offline
Using Logic and Pro Tools together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongwee
Don't really get what you. Logic can combine tracks and hidden under track "folder". I never done that. I saw that example. I don't remember how it is done, so I think not easy.
Um. Not easy or can't remember? Kinda two totally different things... Shift+command+f Thats "f" as in "folder." How much easier does it need to be? Two buttons?

I'm trying to say: learn first. Assess the difficulty or "messyness" second. Otherwise your opinion means squat to those who know better, and it can be very misleading to those who don't.

I understand why many folks like protools. I do. But come on. Logic is very capable.
#36
29th September 2011
Old 29th September 2011
  #36
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 190

kongwee is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Um. Not easy or can't remember? Kinda two totally different things... Shift+command+f Thats "f" as in "folder." How much easier does it need to be? Two buttons?

I'm trying to say: learn first. Assess the difficulty or "messyness" second. Otherwise your opinion means squat to those who know better, and it can be very misleading to those who don't.

I understand why many folks like protools. I do. But come on. Logic is very capable.
For me, I am not audio or recording engineer. I don't like to remember command keys. If can by done by clicking in two or three step, I consider easy.
#37
29th September 2011
Old 29th September 2011
  #37
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London
Posts: 22,505
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
psycho_monkey is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
Silly question- Most people I've seen who use PT use only Audio tracks, not much if any midi, mostly external instruments.

Is there a simple way to record a multi-out out instrument straight to seperate audio tracks?

I quite like the idea of an audio only workflow
Assuming nothing is shared (eg reverb internally in the plugin) yes, it's very easy. Just route your voices in the plugin (eg sampletank or Kontakt). Set up audio tracks - you'll find the option as well as "hardware input" or "bus" the option of "plugin". Select input here. Arm and record...you're away. It's in real time, but by the time you've bounced 5-6 instruments offline in Logic, you've probably taken 5mins to do that anyway..
#38
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
  #38
Gear Head
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 61

Jiffzillla is offline
I have both PT and Logic. My preference is for PT, but that's probably because that's the DAW I started on. So that's my frame of reference. I do however like some of the VIs in Logic and would like to use them from time to time. I have them both coexisting and fully working on my MacBook Pro laptop using a fast track pro interface. (not the greatest interface, but it was part of the package at school) My problem happens when I try to run Logic on my desktop computer. An 8 core dual processor Mac Pro. PT functions just fine. No problems there. But anytime I try to trigger any sound from any VI when having Logic open, (not at the same time as PT...c'mon now...) I get a sound that I can only describe as something akin to a distorted ring modulator. Doesn't matter what sound/instrument. Drums, piano, synth, etc., always that same kind of sound. One other major difference is that on the desktop system, I'm using a 003 factory as my interface. I knew that I couldn't mix in Logic with the control surface portion of the 003, but I just wanted to use it for monitoring purposes. And I was under the impression that I could do this. I'm guessing that it might be some driver conflict issue, but I'm not sure. Anyone else run into this or something similar? If you did resolve the issue, how did you do it? For the record, I'm using PT9.0.3 and Logic Pro 9.1.5. The OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Thanks!
#39
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
  #39
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 262

roy_mattie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffzillla View Post
I have both PT and Logic. My preference is for PT, but that's probably because that's the DAW I started on. So that's my frame of reference. I do however like some of the VIs in Logic and would like to use them from time to time. I have them both coexisting and fully working on my MacBook Pro laptop using a fast track pro interface. (not the greatest interface, but it was part of the package at school) My problem happens when I try to run Logic on my desktop computer. An 8 core dual processor Mac Pro. PT functions just fine. No problems there. But anytime I try to trigger any sound from any VI when having Logic open, (not at the same time as PT...c'mon now...) I get a sound that I can only describe as something akin to a distorted ring modulator. Doesn't matter what sound/instrument. Drums, piano, synth, etc., always that same kind of sound. One other major difference is that on the desktop system, I'm using a 003 factory as my interface. I knew that I couldn't mix in Logic with the control surface portion of the 003, but I just wanted to use it for monitoring purposes. And I was under the impression that I could do this. I'm guessing that it might be some driver conflict issue, but I'm not sure. Anyone else run into this or something similar? If you did resolve the issue, how did you do it? For the record, I'm using PT9.0.3 and Logic Pro 9.1.5. The OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Thanks!
Not meaning to hijack this thread...but if this is what I think it is, it's the same thing that's driving me bonkers!! Does it sound like a feedback loop of some sort? Does it happen during playback or on stop?

PM me, or start a new thread...as this is a bit OT from the OP.

Matt
#40
1st October 2011
Old 1st October 2011
  #40
Gear Head
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 61

Jiffzillla is offline
PM sent, Matt. Thanks.
#41
7th October 2011
Old 7th October 2011
  #41
Gear interested
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 23

greensombrero is offline
Im running LP9 and PT9 on Mac with 28 G-RAM. I've always loved PT from the beginning, but I'm having less (pain in the butt issues) with Logic Pro 9. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Logic. It's seemless, export MP3's without payin for it .., Master with Waveburner (A Generic Master, but gets you in the ballpark). However, I'll bring my best to someone else to master. And they will prob use PT for files ...but .... as I'm doin right now, as should you.
Always A/B results.
#42
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
  #42
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: belgium
Posts: 116

Send a message via Skype™ to aluman
aluman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticRJ View Post
Logic for programming and composing using their VI.
Pro Tools for mixing and tracking.

Logic is a mess to mix in.
Same here.
I need both.
I wouldn't like to choose one or the other.
#43
13th October 2011
Old 13th October 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 583

ejsongs is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffzillla View Post
I have both PT and Logic. My preference is for PT, but that's probably because that's the DAW I started on. So that's my frame of reference. I do however like some of the VIs in Logic and would like to use them from time to time. I have them both coexisting and fully working on my MacBook Pro laptop using a fast track pro interface. (not the greatest interface, but it was part of the package at school) My problem happens when I try to run Logic on my desktop computer. An 8 core dual processor Mac Pro. PT functions just fine. No problems there. But anytime I try to trigger any sound from any VI when having Logic open, (not at the same time as PT...c'mon now...) I get a sound that I can only describe as something akin to a distorted ring modulator. Doesn't matter what sound/instrument. Drums, piano, synth, etc., always that same kind of sound. One other major difference is that on the desktop system, I'm using a 003 factory as my interface. I knew that I couldn't mix in Logic with the control surface portion of the 003, but I just wanted to use it for monitoring purposes. And I was under the impression that I could do this. I'm guessing that it might be some driver conflict issue, but I'm not sure. Anyone else run into this or something similar? If you did resolve the issue, how did you do it? For the record, I'm using PT9.0.3 and Logic Pro 9.1.5. The OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Thanks!

that may have more so to do with your buffer settings...sounds like they are just too low...remember lower buffer setting make your cpu work harder.

my thoughts,

ej
#44
13th October 2011
Old 13th October 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 583

ejsongs is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
One thing I will add in regards to bouncing virtual instruments in Logic is that
you have to pay close attention to the outputs of the instruments you are rendering.
I find some channels need to be stereo and some mono on multitimbral or
multi-output VI's. For instance, with EZ drummer, I always find my kicks
and snares get bounced to stereo wav's when I want them to be mono and
I always find myself having to re-bounce them to mono and re-import to PT.

I will admit sometimes it would be easier to do it in Pro Tools even if it's
a pain setting up separate busses and audio tracks to record to and cluttering
the session up. Thank god it's easy to hide tracks in PT.

What would be a nice feature is if you could have a combined hidden audio
track within Pro Tools instrument tracks so all you have to do is click the drop down
a la playlist view,and have an instant internally bussed audio track to bounce
your instrument to. Need more tracks for bouncing drums or samplers? click
the audio playlist "+" button and bam, you have more audio channels instantly routed
with the option for mono/stereo.

Hmm I think I'm gonna head over to Idea Scale right now!....
just to save you a bit of time. import your stereo kicks into pt. then create 2 empty moon tracks right below your stereo kick tracks. drag the stereo kick track files to the 2 mono kick track...then delete the stereo track and one of the mono track...way faster than rebouncing just to get a mono track.

ej
#45
14th October 2011
Old 14th October 2011
  #45
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 5,341

oceantracks is offline
I'm using a Duet 2 with a Mac Pro and Logic and PT do not like being open at the same time. More specifically, Logic does not like PT open when you are recording VI tracks. I get the same weird sounds you do. I have to quit PT, or at least not have a PT session OPEN when programming in Logic.

TH
#46
15th October 2011
Old 15th October 2011
  #46
Gear interested
 
sflogicninja's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 11

Send a message via AIM to sflogicninja Send a message via Skype™ to sflogicninja
sflogicninja is offline
Use both. Started in Pro Tools in the 90's, but now Logic is 90% of my workflow.

Tracking is done in PT, though. Until I get a low-latency interface for Logic.

I use everything. Logic is just my main weapon of choice.
#47
16th October 2011
Old 16th October 2011
  #47
Lives for gear
 
SKyflash34's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 662

SKyflash34 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
just to save you a bit of time. import your stereo kicks into pt. then create 2 empty moon tracks right below your stereo kick tracks. drag the stereo kick track files to the 2 mono kick track...then delete the stereo track and one of the mono track...way faster than rebouncing just to get a mono track.

ej
Just caught your reply. This is a great idea that for some reason I never thought of. I'll definitely be doing this from now on.
#48
16th October 2011
Old 16th October 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 5,341

oceantracks is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
Just caught your reply. This is a great idea that for some reason I never thought of. I'll definitely be doing this from now on.
No just choose the stereo track and the command "Split Into Mono"...

TH
#49
17th October 2011
Old 17th October 2011
  #49
Gear addict
 
Night Stalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 323

Night Stalker is offline
I find it easy to mix in Logic actually. I dont understand how its messy....its actually rather simplified....making tracks, aux, busses, all automatic stuff actually.....Bounce offline is a god send, and the Hide Tracks function is how I work when mixing.
__________________
We're all screwd
#50
18th October 2011
Old 18th October 2011
  #50
Gear maniac
 
ellipse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 177

ellipse is offline
Its surprising to me that Pro Tools hasn't seriously considered VST support in a future release. Maybe PT 10 will, but if Pro Tools supported VSTi's I think it would eliminate the need for another DAW entirely for a lot of people, myself included. Could be a big deal for them.
#51
26th October 2011
Old 26th October 2011
  #51
Gear maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hewitt, NJ
Posts: 188

HitzHits is offline
ok, so I am approaching the same situation as stated at the beginning of this thread. I produce in Logic (love it for that) but want to start mixing the tracks in PT as all the studio's I work with use PT (and I just want to learn PT).

I have a little different question though and I couldn't find anything related to this - AND YES I DID A SEARCH :-)

I'm used to all the key commands "shortcuts" of Logic and was wondering if there is like a conversion available that I could load into PT so I more or less can work with the same commands in PT?

Is this available? Does anyone know? Otherwise I'll program it and sell it for a shitload of money...ha ha ha.

As I understand you can program every key command and therefore someone might already had the idea to make this conversation?

Or am I totally missing something?

Holla at me :-)

the O
#52
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
  #52
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: San Fernando
Posts: 14

Sound4LifeStudio is offline
In the past I used to record my MIDI stuff in Logic using the virtual instruments and bouncing the files to audio. Then I loaded up Pro Tools and mixed there, because I relied on the TDM plug-ins. Since then I now use Cubase to do the MIDI stuff and export the bounced files with the batch export to Pro Tools.
#53
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
  #53
Gear maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hewitt, NJ
Posts: 188

HitzHits is offline
same plan here

Yeah, I used to work in Cubase (4 at that time) but now work with Logic. I love the way it handles Midi and use a lot of their VI. If you like Redone productions you will find a lot of his sounds in Logic. Ok, a little tweak here and there :-).

I produce everything in logic and bounce the midis to audio. Love the "tape stop" function for audio files.....does Pro Tools have that as well?

So now I just got PT 10 HD and mix in there and I LOVE it :-)
#54
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
EddieTheRed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,018

EddieTheRed is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipse View Post
if Pro Tools supported VSTi's
What, like Logic does?
#55
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
  #55
Gear maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hewitt, NJ
Posts: 188

HitzHits is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheRed View Post
What, like Logic does?
Sorry, this is me, the Swizz guy trying to explain in English :-) ha ha ha

When I have an audio file I can make a fade in and a fade out with the fade tool.

With the same fade tool I can switch from FADING to Tape stop/ scratch FX....I mean it goes from regular tempo to very slow - until it literally stops.

Does this make more sense?

Sorry for the confusion.....
#56
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
  #56
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 242

florent is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
Sorry, this is me, the Swizz guy trying to explain in English :-) ha ha ha

When I have an audio file I can make a fade in and a fade out with the fade tool.

With the same fade tool I can switch from FADING to Tape stop/ scratch FX....I mean it goes from regular tempo to very slow - until it literally stops.

Does this make more sense?

Sorry for the confusion.....
yes there is a plug in as audio suite in PT that does the same thing
#57
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
  #57
Gear maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hewitt, NJ
Posts: 188

HitzHits is offline
yeah, now that I know that it's called Speed fader I found like gazillion threads on google :-)
#58
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
  #58
Gear Head
 
willco's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 44

Send a message via Skype™ to willco
willco is offline
it's called vari-fi - audiosuite only. It's a good one.
#59
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
  #59
Gear Head
 
willco's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 44

Send a message via Skype™ to willco
willco is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
ok, so I am approaching the same situation as stated at the beginning of this thread. I produce in Logic (love it for that) but want to start mixing the tracks in PT as all the studio's I work with use PT (and I just want to learn PT).

I have a little different question though and I couldn't find anything related to this - AND YES I DID A SEARCH :-)

I'm used to all the key commands "shortcuts" of Logic and was wondering if there is like a conversion available that I could load into PT so I more or less can work with the same commands in PT?

Is this available? Does anyone know? Otherwise I'll program it and sell it for a shitload of money...ha ha ha.

As I understand you can program every key command and therefore someone might already had the idea to make this conversation?

Or am I totally missing something?

Holla at me :-)

the O
You can't change Pro Tools shortcuts. You are better off learning the pro tools ones and mapping the comparable functions in logic to the same key strokes. Hit alt+k (I think from memory) in logic to set up custom key commands.
__________________
Cheers,

Will Cohen
sound design & composition
www.will-cohen.com
#60
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
  #60
Gear maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hewitt, NJ
Posts: 188

HitzHits is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by willco View Post
You can't change Pro Tools shortcuts. You are better off learning the pro tools ones and mapping the comparable functions in logic to the same key strokes. Hit alt+k (I think from memory) in logic to set up custom key commands.
that's exactly what I have planned :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.