Installing newly-purchased Logic Pro 9 on new Mac running OSX Lion
New Reply
Subscribe
deantonic
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear interested

Installing newly-purchased Logic Pro 9 on new Mac running OSX Lion

First: I'm new to Apple and Macs. I recently bought a new 2011 Mac Mini with OSX Lion that I intend to use primarily as a DAW. I will be soon be buying and installing Logic Pro 9. Apple says that OSX Lion requires at least Logic 9.1.4. I am trying to determine whether I should just buy Logic from the Apple Store shelf, where I assume I can see the exact version listed on the box and can verify that this is at least 9.1.4, or whether I can save a few bucks by buying from Amazon. Buying from Amazon of course means not being able to examine the box specs in advance.

Now I pause and ask: am I being overly concerned about this? Will an earlier version of Logic 9 that may be stocked at Amazon just install fine over Lion, then update to the latest version via the Web? I may be unnecessarily wearing my PC hat into this new Mac world.

Bottom Line: Has anyone made a fresh install of Logic 9 on a new computer system with OSX Lion?
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jbrown1music
If amazon has it cheaper then get that. Once u install the software update the software and your golden.
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

As far as I know Logic isn't even available on the app store, and jbrown1msic stated with a retail box you simply let software update find the updates you need...install them from software update or (what I prefer to do is) search Apple's downloads and install them from the .dmg files so you have them for later. Software update will list the updates you need in more or less the order required, as sometimes you will need to apply a previous one before the latest (especially with Mainstage & OS core stuff like Pro Kit though I doubt Lion has had any Pro Kit or etc updates yet).
deantonic
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear interested

Thanks jbrown1music and valis for the replies, and valis, i'll plan to manually install the updates and preserve the .dmg files as you suggest. I'm so new to macs that I have to assume these are the mac equivalents to .exe files in the PC world. But I totally get the theory of maintaining a back library of install files should one ever have the need to rebuild a system.

Here's the link to Amazon's listing for Logic Pro 9:
Amazon.com: Logic Studio Retail: Software=

I don't see any gotchas with this offer, looks like the full version, not an upgrade or an academic version, stocked by and fulfilled by Amazon...but if anyone sees something that looks to be problematic please let me know.

Thanks again.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

That is the retail version of Logic. When you see a product that says 'Prime' and 'ships and fulfilled by Amazon' you know that it's at least not a scammer, and that's same boxed version that I own. It's not as large as the image would have you believe

Also, .dmg files are disk images which are often used for downloadable installers as it's a way of allowing you to verify that a download is intact before installing (you'll see it says 'verifying image' before it opens). Inside you typically find what looks like a yellow/brown box and if you have disabled 'hide file extension' for that file (or all files) then you'll see that installers from Apple typically have .pkg extensions. Applications that are the equivalent of Windows .exe files actually have the extension .app, and tend to reside in your Applications or Applications/Utilities folders on the HD.

Also two other common methods for installation are simply to drag & drop the file into your Apps dir (most DMG "installers" that give you this method give you the App next to a shortcut to your App folders), and then there's the Vise installers which are becoming less & less common as of Snow Leopard & Lion. And of course there's the App store...and btw I recommend running the App Store and finding The Unarchiver and installing it, it should be free and opens more archives than OSX does by default.
deantonic
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

Many thanks, valis, for the great info. Yea that photo is not to scale; I've seen the box at the local Apple Store.

And I'll definitely make the Unarchiver my first reason to check out the all famous App Store.
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do better than Amazon. Get it from B & H. Even cheaper.

Apple Logic Studio - Music Production Suite MB795Z/A B&H Photo

They've had the best price on this for a couple of years straight.

And they are a great, fully authorized dealer. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them, even since before there was the internet.

And as was mentioned, as long as it's Logic 9 on the box, you'll be able to get all the latest updates to bring it up to speed.
deantonic
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Gear interested

Thanks for the tip NST7! I love B&H! But I've only bought photo gear and hardware from them, never software. Didn't even think about them for software, so thanks again. They don't have free shipping on this like Amazon, but for me at least B&H and paying shipping is a better deal than even Amazon and free shipping.
5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure it is free shipping on this. You put in your zip code and a box opens up where you select free ground shipping.
deantonic
5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Gear interested

I can't find any offer of free shipping. I'm offered 8 different shipping options, but the cheapest is UPS Ground at $10.10.

Perhaps a free shipping coupon is required?
5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I just checked again and you're right. It might have been that I had other items in my cart.

I think in the past if there was other stuff that shipped free it made everything free, but I'm not sure.

You might want to see if there's anything else you need to order at the same time, to at least make the shipping more efficient. Maybe cables or something.
deantonic
6th September 2011
Old 6th September 2011
Gear interested

Yes, that's probably it, nst7. No problem finding something else to add to the order so the whole thing ships for free! Don't we always "need" something new?

Many thanks for all the input in this thread.
deantonic
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
Gear interested

Looks like B&H is determined to charge the ten bucks shipping for the software. I added a Superdrive to the cart, free shipping of course, then added the software, back to the $10.10 shipping. Then just to test, added the software to the cart first, next the Superdrive, same thing. Tried a Samsung drive in the cart rather than the Apple drive...thinking Apple may be the restricting factor...and same thing.

Still the best price even with the shipping.
deantonic
17th October 2011
Old 17th October 2011
Gear interested

Thought I'd update this thread with my experiences with a brand new installation of Logic Studio on a 2011 Mac Mini with OS X Lion.

Ordered the box version with DVDs (9 total!) from B&H as indicated above along with an Apple Superdrive for the Mini. Lowest price I could find (thanks again, nst7!) and typical great B&H delivery speed and service.

Read through the little installation manual that came with the box. Considered not installing Mainstage because I don't see myself using this when playing out, but in the end decided to go with Apple's standard installation, not changing installation parameters or locations, just to keep things "standard".

Loaded the first Installation DVD (Install DVD) and got a message indicating I'd need the following disks, in order:

Audio Content 1
Audio Content 2
Audio Content 3
Jam Pack Content 1
Jam Pack Content 2
Jam Pack Content3
Additional Content

Note that this message did NOT indicate I'd need to install the 9th and final DVD, Demo Content. That puzzled me a bit, but I assumed that when I tried to work with the demo, I'd get a message then to load that DVD. Bad assumption, as it's not asked me yet for that DVD.

The first disk took the longest to install...I'm guessing 45 minutes perhaps. The others varied: the first few after the installaation disk took about 30 mins but that install time decreased as I moved through the disks. The Jam Packs took the shortest amount of time to install.
Finally I got a message to reload the first disk, the Installation Disk, and once done, after just a few seconds, I got a finished installation message and that all-important white check mark on the green circle indicating that the installation was successful.

With the installation apparently done, I doubleclicked on the Logic Pro icon and immediately got an error message saying that the installed version of Logic Pro was not compatible with OS X Lion. I'd expected that the first thing the software would do would be to automatically update itself. Not so. Anyway, off I went to Software Update which indicated that 4 updates were available. After these 4 updates were installed, I doubleclicked on the Logic Pro icon, and the software loaded properly, first of course making an automatic audio setup with my MOTU 828mk3.
Now I'm tweaking the settings, but Logic Studio installation is apparently done.

PS. When I loaded the Demo Project, I did NOT get a message to load the final installation DVD, Demo Content, so I'm still not sure what that DVD is used for.
17th October 2011
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Michael E
Quote:
Originally Posted by deantonic View Post
PS. When I loaded the Demo Project, I did NOT get a message to load the final installation DVD, Demo Content, so I'm still not sure what that DVD is used for.
It's for Apple - Logic Studio - Artist Sessions
You can copy stuff from this DVD as from the folder.

Demo you have opened is probably "Number Games" song.
18th October 2011
Old 18th October 2011
Gear interested

Thanks Michael E! That explains it. I'll have to check that out DVD soon.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search