Exporting MIDI Notes as Seperate Audio Tracks — Cubase
New Reply
Subscribe
rystro
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Exporting MIDI Notes as Seperate Audio Tracks — Cubase

In Cubase 4... I am using a drum kit in Kontakt and like most sampled kits each note on the MIDI keyboard represents a different drum... for example C3 is the kick and D3 is the snare.

Is there a way to export the note C3 to a audio track and the note D3 as an audio track so that I can have a kick and a snare on different audio tracks? And then so on and so forth for each note that represents a different drum kit piece.

Does that make sense?
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

In Logic I'm using BFD ECCO which I created a multi VI track.I assigned the drum pieces to their seprerate channels and then created tracks in the arrange page BUT!! There is no bounce to audio option for those tracks!! I can only do that on the original VI track as a full kit.

I guess it needs an object out put routed to it to bounce Im sure theres a way to do this and you'll probably have to do something similar so lets see what the solutuion is and hopefully fairly straight forward.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I do not have the "direct" answer but in case you need a workaround:

There is a command for MIDI to split a track up into "one midi track per note". Then you can solo each midi track and export it one-by-one. It is "dissolve" track and then I think you will need to tell if separation is per pitch or per channel (you would want pitch obviously).

Not as elegant and immediate but workable (unless you have hundreds of percussion instruments ;-).

On the AUDIO side, maybe the module you are using for the drums has separate outs...so you could route each instrument to a separate output (can get a bit fiddly if you have master effects that you use though - but depends on the module)
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
I do not have the "direct" answer but in case you need a workaround:

There is a command for MIDI to split a track up into "one midi track per note". Then you can solo each midi track and export it one-by-one. It is "dissolve" track and then I think you will need to tell if separation is per pitch or per channel (you would want pitch obviously).

yes you can do this in Logic however you need and instance per track to be able to bounce in Place.I could always do it the old way by routing it to a record track but Its messy and there must be a straight forward way i don't know of.
Quote:
Not as elegant and immediate but workable (unless you have hundreds of percussion instruments ;-).

On the AUDIO side, maybe the module you are using for the drums has separate outs...so you could route each instrument to a separate output (can get a bit fiddly if you have master effects that you use though - but depends on the module)
yes you can assign the track as a multi and BFD has multi outs routing its after that that I'm scratching my head.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

^^^ I was talking about cubase.

Several midi channels can point to the same instance, so I am not sure what you mean with your multi-instance comment.

If you have several audio outputs on a plugin then just export these tracks (multi-track-export), no?
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
In Cubase 4... I am using a drum kit in Kontakt and like most sampled kits each note on the MIDI keyboard represents a different drum... for example C3 is the kick and D3 is the snare.

Is there a way to export the note C3 to a audio track and the note D3 as an audio track so that I can have a kick and a snare on different audio tracks? And then so on and so forth for each note that represents a different drum kit piece.

Does that make sense?
Use Kontakt in multi-output mode (you can save & reload your program if you're currently using only the stereo output version), assign each hit to a separate output either by using separate programs or groups within the program that you're using in Kontakt, and apply effects to each of these. I'm assuming that you really just want to do this for mixing control, not to actually bounce to separate audio tracks at this point, but that's feasable too...
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
^^^ I was talking about cubase.

Several midi channels can point to the same instance, so I am not sure what you mean with your multi-instance comment.
Yes Logic does tha.However AKAIK the channel/track can't be bounced in place.

In Logic you can bounce in place a track (a VI track or and audio track with PI)or a region.With this setup only the original VI track has the instance of BFD on it so the other "mult" tracks can't be BIP.A new track has to be made with a new instance the extrapolate the midi drums notes for a region..THEN BIP.

That can chew up a lot of resources plus be a pain.IMO there must be a less steps way to accomplish the same thing.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe I don't understand the issue...use the multiple output VI..."export audio mixdown" on it's outputs, selecting "to audio track and pool"--now you have all the drum "mics" exported to their own audio track. I don't know why you would only to the kick and snare, but you can do that, too-then use the drum map to mute that kick and snare notes.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Is there a way to batch render midi channels coming from a multi-output VSTi in Cubase (Kontakt, Omni, BFD, etc.)?

Not using the Instrument Channels and a plug per instance, but the VST rack and multiple midi channels from the same VSTi?

Or maybe through the instrument channels with mulitple outs from the same instance of the plug?

rystro
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
assign each hit to a separate output either by using separate programs or groups within the program that you're using in Kontakt, and apply effects to each of these.
How do you assign each hit a separate output? What are the steps to do so?

Yes I am wanting to apply VST plug-ins to say the kick and then a different VST plugin to the snare. And then hear that effect in real-time.

Thanks
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

You can do that without rendering to audio. You enable the multiple outputs in the VST Instruments panel. Little symbol to the left of the VI name. Some, though, need to have the right version of the VI loaded, which someone pointed out above. Kontakt-you need to load the 4 or 8 or 16 out version. Then you'll have to assign the samples to the outputs in kontakt...one advantage of a dedicated drum VI like BFD2-it has the various drum mics already mapped to the multiple outs. You just enable and now you have a kick in, kick out, snare top and bottom, etc, in your Cubase mixer where you can put whatever audio plugs you want.
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
How do you assign each hit a separate output? What are the steps to do so?

Yes I am wanting to apply VST plug-ins to say the kick and then a different VST plugin to the snare. And then hear that effect in real-time.

Thanks
Kontakt 3 Output Config in Cubase - The Long Way - YouTube

It's a bit dated in the versions it's using, but should at least get you mostly there...
9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Gear addict

You can also "dissolve" the combined midi track into separate midi tracks (Midi-> dissolve part). Then you can manipulate them as separate midi files.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search