Login / Register

How the F do I link my Soundcloud page to Facebook?
New Reply
Subscribe
che_guitarra
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

How the F do I link my Soundcloud page to Facebook?

This is doing my head in. I'm trying to create a Soundcloud tab on my Facebook artists page, like this yellow box in the screenshot i've taken:

I cannot get this function working for the life of me. I've just created an artist's FB page (Che Guitarra | Facebook) and I want to link it to my Soundcloud link (Che Guitarra's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free). I'm following all the troubleshoots on Google and at the Soundcloud help desk, but half the instructions are either out of date or require the use of non-existent selection boxes.

Has anyone got it working? What did you do?
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post
This is doing my head in. I'm trying to create a Soundcloud tab on my Facebook artists page, like this yellow box in the screenshot i've taken:

I cannot get this function working for the life of me. I've just created an artist's FB page (Che Guitarra | Facebook) and I want to link it to my Soundcloud link (Che Guitarra's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free). I'm following all the troubleshoots on Google and at the Soundcloud help desk, but half the instructions are either out of date or require the use of non-existent selection boxes.

Has anyone got it working? What did you do?
Facebook is continually tinkering their API and pulling the rug out from under third party plug ins. I had a similar issue. They don't have the same sense of responsibility to the third parties who've helped make them who they are that other web services and things like OS's have. Windows may be backwards compatible to 1990 -- but Facebook sometimes isn't backwards compatible to last week. They seem to be real jerks, frankly. But whaddya gonna do? Google Plus is a better interface but all the sheeple are on Facebook, just like they used to all be on AOL. They'll wise up eventually...
che_guitarra
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Is google plus still invite only?
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, I'll dump Facebook as soon as it's available to us common folk

The Dome of Clement now available: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#

Minimal Cheese: www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear addict

28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Yep, I'll dump Facebook as soon as it's available to us common folk
Well... I might have made it sound 'readier' than it is to start taking FB's place. There are some quirks, and things take some getting used to. There isn't the same kind of third party plugin app support (frustrated or not). And there definitely isn't the user base.

Check your PM inboxes.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Rootmusic Bandpage makes the process a bit more straightforward:

RootMusic - BandPages on Facebook!

Google Plus doesn't have music / band / company pages yet.
I haven't tried Rootmusic Bandpage but it's true about G+, no band names yet, no studio or other biz names, only real names so far, although I believe that's planned. (And no pets, which just seems wrong. ) Also no developed 3rd party plug in scene. (But, on the upside, ni Farmville or Mafia Wars. )

[EDIT: Just checked out the Rootmusic Bandpage vid. Looks pretty good. I guess I'll have to give that a shot. EDIT 2: Agh. Rootmusic Bandpage uses the crappy Soundcloud 128 kbps streams. That's pretty close to a deal breaker right there. Also their reliance on long, boring videos when a couple quick, written sentences would do better at getting simple info across is kind of annoying.]

Anyhow, I probably should have mentioned that after having a couple of bandpage tab things disappear out from under me, I used Reverbnation's latest FB add-in to add a music player to my band page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/one-b...app_2405167945

One good thing about RN is that their player apparently doesn't dumb down what you upload. As long as your file isn't over the 8 MB limit, it can be up to 320 kbps, IIRC. One bad thing about RN is the sleazy pay-to-be-considered 'opportunities' they continually spam your email with. I think you can opt out but every once in a great while they actually send out 'real' opportunities that don't have an 'entry fee' attached. That stuff really ticks me off. [And the one time I got a (free) and non-cattle call invitation (it only came to one of my bands) to submit for licensing consideration, it was so buried in spam that I didn't even see it for almost 6 months.]

Another nice thing about the RN player, you can plug your own buy link into the player, so anyone clicking a buy link for a song will be redirected to my Bandcamp page, which serves as my 'store,' since it lets purchasers buy a variety of formats up to lossless and gives me the best cut [when using PayPal micropayments] of any store I've hear of.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear addict

The soundcloud apps suck. You can't blame the changing API cause they just never really worked well at all - and besides, who looks at apps on your profile page? FB is all about the stream, so you need to post so that your tracks show up in people's stream:

Scott Wilson - Mix Engineer | Facebook

(there's a few soundcloud links on there - some with images and some without)

Just post a 'link' to your soundcloud track url, and it'll show up with the player embedded and if the track has an image, that'll be the tumb. Works better than any app would.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Michael E
Quote:
Can share some G+ invites if needed.

PM your Gmail.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
IEDIT 2: Agh. Rootmusic Bandpage uses the crappy Soundcloud 128 kbps streams. That's pretty close to a deal breaker right there. Also their reliance on long, boring videos when a couple quick, written sentences would do better at getting simple info across is kind of annoying.]
The original post asked about linking Soundcloud with Facebook.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

TK, Scott. Nice pages at FB. I have a fan page there, which kind of runs off my social page. Is it possible to add the Reverbnation (or any other OMD app) on a fan page? Or should I just start an artist page?

Cheers
Phil
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
The original post asked about linking Soundcloud with Facebook.
Ha! Your'e right! My bad. And -- I'm sorry -- even apart from the fact that your suggestion of Rootmusic was a perfect answer for the OP's question -- I really did not mean to seem critical of that suggestion -- which was so promising looking that I signed up for it.

My bad. You answered the OP's question perfectly!

And
, btw, the site I chose to do my own sales from, Bandcamp, also has crummy sounding 128 kbps streams. Which is why I use the RN player but then use its capability to link to a third party store in the buy link in the player.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
TK, Scott. Nice pages at FB. I have a fan page there, which kind of runs off my social page. Is it possible to add the Reverbnation (or any other OMD app) on a fan page? Or should I just start an artist page?

Cheers
Phil
You know, I honestly don't know. I guess I already feel guilty about any time I spend on FB.

Starting an artist page (or any other) is pretty easy. Which pages you can embed players in, I don't know. I do know that it frustrates me that I can't figure out a way to have a link to my music on my personal page (since my personal account has a bunch of my 3DW friends while my poor band pages are struggling just to get up to the 25 fan tier so they can get 'friendly' URLs).
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, I have 92 fans on my fan page. No idea FB had a tier system for those. I'd better look into it, the tools to make the page stand out more may well be there already.............

Cheers
Phil
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hmm, I have 92 fans on my fan page. No idea FB had a tier system for those. I'd better look into it, the tools to make the page stand out more may well be there already.............

Cheers
Phil
Yeah... you can create a 'friendly' URL (facebook.com/mybandname) once you get 25 likes. I used to have an iLike tab and then a ReverbNation tab on my personal FB page but then they removed the tab option on personal pages so that stuff disappeared. Eventually, I realized we could start band pages and that you could even plug players back into them, so I'm still playing catch up. Looks like I might just be able to nick that friendly URL in a couple more "likes," though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search