Pro Tools Software: how to buy used licenses and how works license transfer?
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Pro Tools Software: how to buy used licenses and how works license transfer?

Dear fellows,

planning to buy a used Pro Tools 9 software and perhaps a few upgrades or expansions in the near future.

For this I have a few questions because I do not find it on the Avid homepage.

1. Is it sufficient to make an iLok transfer? I have both iLok2 dongle and iLok account.
2. Is it right that I do not need to register the software again?
3. Is it right that I have to re-register hardware only?
4. If someone is selling the license only, where do I get the installer or the replacement discs in the shop for the install?
5. Is it possible to upgrade to future versions legally or is it not possible and I would have to stay with the license I would buy and this would be all?
6. Is it legit to buy a used Pro Tools 9 HD software without hardware?

Please understand it right: Neither I do not want to do anything wrong, nor I want to be ripped off.

Thanks for help in advance.

Greetings from Germany

Marcus
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Is it sufficient to make an iLok transfer? I have both iLok2 dongle and iLok account.
yes

Quote:
2. Is it right that I do not need to register the software again?
once the ilok transfer goes thru the software will be reg'd to your avid account.

Quote:
3. Is it right that I have to re-register hardware only?
dunno bout this.

Quote:
4. If someone is selling the license only, where do I get the installer or the replacement discs in the shop for the install?
you download the installer from your avid account in "my products"

Quote:
5. Is it possible to upgrade to future versions legally or is it not possible and I would have to stay with the license I would buy and this would be all?
very easy to do. you pay your upgrade price for the new version, recieve new license and surrender your old one.

Quote:
6. Is it legit to buy a used Pro Tools 9 HD software without hardware?
HD software doesnt work without hardware. if you already have the hardware then it is totally legit to buy a new version of just the software. if someone is trying to sell you the software on the premise that it works without the hardware then beware. it is a scam.
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for this fast reply.
Quote:
once the ilok transfer goes thru the software will be reg'd to your avid account.
does this mean I have to create an Avid account before I buy a used PT license?
Quote:
very easy to do. you pay your upgrade price for the new version, recieve new license and surrender your old one.
Does this mean after I bought an upgrade perhaps from v9 to v10 (if available) the old v9 license is found in my iLok and Avid account?

What about Instruments or Effect bundles? Is this the same process?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
does this mean I have to create an Avid account before I buy a used PT license?
im not to sure if you need to do it before hand. they might just need your ilok ID. but you will need to create one to get your installer anyway.

Quote:
Does this mean after I bought an upgrade perhaps from v9 to v10 (if available) the old v9 license is found in my iLok and Avid account?
your licenses are stored in your ilok account but when you upgrade your old license disappears.

Quote:
What about Instruments or Effect bundles? Is this the same process?
its the same process for any piece of software that uses ilok. some companies have an extra registration step (softube, waves etc) some just do a license transfer and away you go.
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
some companies have an extra registration step (softube, waves etc)
with them I know it already.

Made an account at Avid, but not able to download the PT installer, only the v9.0.5 update which needs a basic v9 installation, but in my account are no products, so no downloads. :(

How could I buy a used license with iLok transfer if I am not able to download the basic installer?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
HD software doesnt work without hardware. if you already have the hardware then it is totally legit to buy a new version of just the software. if someone is trying to sell you the software on the premise that it works without the hardware then beware. it is a scam.
Mm, that's not true.

HD9 software, if installed on a computer without Hd hardware, will run as if you were running PT9+complete toolkit. so if someone decides to sell their license (and it will usually be resellers with spare licenses kicking about) it's perfectly legit, and can be a cheaper way to upgrade to the complete production toolkit, if you need it.

Pre PT9, the above comment would stand. Now, it's not the case.
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
HD9 software, if installed on a computer without Hd hardware, will run as if you were running PT9+complete toolkit. so if someone decides to sell their license (and it will usually be resellers with spare licenses kicking about) it's perfectly legit, and can be a cheaper way to upgrade to the complete production toolkit, if you need it.
so it is allowed and legit to sell PT 9 HD software without Hardware?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-pole View Post
so it is allowed and legit to sell PT 9 HD software without Hardware?
My understanding is that it isnt legit. Hardware (core cards) must be sold with the software.
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
My understanding is that it isnt legit. Hardware (core cards) must be sold with the software.
That is correct. As per Avid's terms:

"The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well."

Avid - How do I submit a Transfer of Ownership form for Avid Audio (Digidesign) hardware?
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And why are people selling it with iLok?
Saw some fellows who sell it on the Avid forum, but nobody claims to stop these kind of threads.
Strange that Avid does not control their own forum's.

But back again to the topic.

Quote:
Made an account at Avid, but not able to download the PT installer, only the v9.0.5 update which needs a basic v9 installation, but in my account are no products, so no downloads. :(

How could I buy a used license with iLok transfer if I am not able to download the basic installer?
Who can help me?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Except i haven't been able to take advantage of deals/upgrades etc because I don'thave the registration number card. Discs, but no reg card so it kind of sucks.
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Except i haven't been able to take advantage of deals/upgrades etc because I don'thave the registration number card. Discs, but no reg card so it kind of sucks
Now I understand nothing any longer.
You are not able to upgrade from a second hand license without having the license card? The license on the iLok dongle and in the iLok account is not sufficient for a legit upgrade?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I am also interested just purchased a core card and interface with no mention of software included (seller may just not have bothered to mention it) it was a good deal so i just figured I'd shell out for PT9 .
But if i want to register hardware seller has to agree? And invalidate his software if he Was /is panning on keeping it and using some other interface?
Hmmmmm!
Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But if i want to register hardware seller has to agree?
there is a formula on the page for hardware license transfer, and you should own the software as well...

but what about my request?
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

As clearly stated in Avid's ownership transfer information page, only hardware can be transferred from one user to another via Avid, not software. That is done solely through iLok.com

As to your question of whether or not it is legit to sell a PT HD 9 license separate from hardware, it is again clearly stated on the ownership transfer information page that it is not. If your question is why are people doing something they are not supposed too, that is another thread for another day...

It seems to me that all of your questions have been answered in this thread. Most of them by the first poster. You still seem confused and unsure of the correct procedure for transferring a PT 9 license. I encourage you to fully read:

Avid - How do I submit a Transfer of Ownership form for Avid Audio (Digidesign) hardware?

And to contact AVID directly if you still have any questions.
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Ok so in my case I may have to buy pro tools 9 from an authourised seller or reseller in order to take advantage of any trade in deals! Just for background i broke the bank to buy a fully authorised brand new G3 based PT 24 system in 2000 (12k UK) in order to be in the Avid update futureproof family ! They rolled out HD while i'm still recovering from that outlay! So I miss out on any trade in deals
So f'it bought a mirror door G4 and a used mix3 system in 2005 for peanuts compared to that original official avid PT24 sting .carried on with a rock solid but frozen in time 6.4.1 system ......
But now i got to get back up to date.... Blah blah whinge whinge
but basically i hate Avid apart from when i'm just working on Pro Tools

The upgrade paths only seem to work if you're willing to lay out 3or 4k every 2 to 3 years .

b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Strange I get no clean answer here, perhaps I am really too stupid.
In order to avoid confusion, I am only interested in buying a used PT 9 native software, only, no HD version.
So I am still not sure where to get the installer, after I would have bought a used PT 9 native license, which is on my iLok and in my iLok account. And I am still not sure if it is possible to legally upgrade the license.
Seems I have to contact Avid directly here in Germany at the beginning of next week.
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Good luck contacting avid by phone! Seems impossible in the UK

27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strange I get no clean answer here, perhaps I am really too stupid.
In order to avoid confusion, I am only interested in buying a used PT 9 native software, only, no HD version.
So I am still not sure where to get the installer, after I would have bought a used PT 9 native license, which is on my iLok and in my iLok account. And I am still not sure if it is possible to legally upgrade the license.
I just went through this. I needed an extra license for a 2nd laptop and bought a used PT9 asset. You will be able to use PT9 software via the iLok asset that was transferred but you will not be able to re-register the software to your Avid account. The owner of the software that you are buying it from has to give you access to the full installers in his Avid account or download them and send them to you some other way.
b-pole
27th August 2011
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The owner of the software that you are buying it from has to give you access to the full installers in his Avid account or download them and send them to you some other way.
new aspects, but for the installers I saw in the Avid store you could buy a recovery DVD for about EUR 13,00.
But what about future upgrades (e.g. from vx to vxx)? Possible or would I have to buy a new license?
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear maniac

My Studio

all you have to do is to make sure that whoever you buy it from has to provide you with original full install of pro tools 9.0.0 (just ask them to burn it for you and ship it). then you or the buyer just have to pay 25.00 USD fee to transfer licence onto your ilok and thats it. once you have installed 9.0.0 you can go to avid website and download latest update.
b-pole
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
all you have to do is to make sure that whoever you buy it from has to provide you with original full install of pro tools 9.0.0 (just ask them to burn it for you and ship it). then you or the buyer just have to pay 25.00 USD fee to transfer licence onto your ilok and thats it. once you have installed 9.0.0 you can go to avid website and download latest update.
thanks for this reply, all seems so complicated...
But because I cannot register the used software to my name it seems I cannot order the replacement DVD in the shop in order to avoid shipping from the seller?
If I would do it as you say, is it possible to upgrade from this version in the future to possible new versions of Pro Tools? Or would I have to buy a new full license again?
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear maniac

My Studio

to my understanding you will just have to pay for an upgrade. thats due to the fact that you will own full commercial licence of pro tools 9 on your ilok. remember that all you buying is just a licence not the program itself so if you own licence thats it when next pro tools comes out you are eligible to upgrade to next version cause you own licence of previous one...
b-pole
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
to my understanding you will just have to pay for an upgrade. thats due to the fact that you will own full commercial licence of pro tools 9 on your ilok. remember that all you buying is just a licence not the program itself so if you own licence thats it when next pro tools comes out you are eligible to upgrade to next version cause you own licence of previous one...
I hope you are right, because I have a few potential sellers of PT9, with iLok transfer only, at the moment.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
I hope you are right, because I have a few potential sellers of PT9, with iLok transfer only, at the moment.
I am curious if your process of transfer of ownership has worked. I have a PT9 license to sell. Your questions are the same questions I have. I would be grateful for any insight.

THNKS!
b-pole
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am curious if your process of transfer of ownership has worked. I have a PT9 license to sell
All was fine afterwards, iLok transfer is sufficient.
Replacement discs to install can be ordered from the Avid shop.
I hope that helps.
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
Is anyone sure that this really works?

I'm selling PT9 license, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,

k
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

No Avid serials are given for software only authorization codes this is not required for pre -authorized Pro Tools HD 9 iloks. In fact with an authorization code number you would have received a second copy of Pro tools HD 9 license.
An Avid registration is not required and is not needed for updates and future upgrades.
UPGRADES ARE TIED to THE ILOK LICNESE
Why is that?
Say I had PT 9 in my Avid account and sold my license off my ilok account
If upgrades were tied to Avid account - I could buy PT 10 upgrades as many time as I want.
However if you choose to upgrade to PT 10 form 9 the form only asks for your ilok USER ID to deposit the upgrade license.
For free updates you can go to the technical alerts section at duc.avid.com
You can also run the Software Updater application in the Pro tools folder then can be download direct to computer. All free updates are always posted in public forum with no login necessary to download them.

However you must keep your Pro tools ilok license in order to obtain any update or upgrade.

Al you need to do is buy a new ilok transfer the PT 9 HD license to it the remove that ilok from your account
You are then free to sell the ilok to anyone
9th May 2014
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Head

So I just purchased a Pro Tools 11 iLok license from a guy on ebay...he transferred the license, I activated it and i've used it...I just noticed PT 11.1.3 is out, so I went to the avid site to download it...every other version has been on the website to download without any code or license or whatever, but this version apparently you have to log in to your avid account and put in your activation code to download it??...is this true?...i didn't get the activation code from the guy on ebay, just the ilok license...is there a work around?
10th May 2014
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Head

Anybody?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search