s/pdif out on Emu 0404 USB??
New Reply
Subscribe
BudgetMC
7th August 2011
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for beer

s/pdif out on Emu 0404 USB??

Alrighty computer gurus... here's a query for ya! I've got an Emu 0404 usb that I'm trying to use the s/pdif out on to run some new monitors with digital inputs. BUT, if I'm running the signal from my computer into the 0404, I get nothin' from the monitors. If I run optical into the 0404, then I can monitor from the s/pdif... but that isn't what I want. I want to be able to use the digital inputs when I'm doing mastering in Wavelab, in particular.

I've gone through the Emu manual backwards and forwards, and played with the control panel... but still nothin'.

Any ideas or input is appreciated. Thanks!
http://theaudiomc.com
7th August 2011
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

I have the reverse problem. I want to input a digital device via ADAT and nada happens. I think it´s broken.
7th August 2011
Old 7th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Alrighty computer gurus... here's a query for ya! I've got an Emu 0404 usb that I'm trying to use the s/pdif out on to run some new monitors with digital inputs. BUT, if I'm running the signal from my computer into the 0404, I get nothin' from the monitors. If I run optical into the 0404, then I can monitor from the s/pdif... but that isn't what I want. I want to be able to use the digital inputs when I'm doing mastering in Wavelab, in particular.

I've gone through the Emu manual backwards and forwards, and played with the control panel... but still nothin'.

Any ideas or input is appreciated. Thanks!
So you basically want to use the SPDIF Coaxial (RCA Type) output to feed your monitors, but use the TOSLINK (digital) input when mastering in Wavelab?

Seems straightforward, but I'm guessing EMU probably set up the card to run output and input ONLY on either Coax when being fed or sending signal vs Digital when being used.

I had the same problem with an old AD/DA converter, but solved the problem by gettin an RME Converter since those let you chose, via the front panel, to mix and match input (be it coax, toslink, etc) with different output types.

I'm guessing you're using the SPDIF Coaxial output to feed your monitors, so I would suggest getting a SPDIF Coaxial to Digital converter if you want to use the set-up you want, since I'm guessing the EMU doesn't have the option to do it internally.
BudgetMC
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
So you basically want to use the SPDIF Coaxial (RCA Type) output to feed your monitors, but use the TOSLINK (digital) input when mastering in Wavelab?

Seems straightforward, but I'm guessing EMU probably set up the card to run output and input ONLY on either Coax when being fed or sending signal vs Digital when being used.

I had the same problem with an old AD/DA converter, but solved the problem by gettin an RME Converter since those let you chose, via the front panel, to mix and match input (be it coax, toslink, etc) with different output types.

I'm guessing you're using the SPDIF Coaxial output to feed your monitors, so I would suggest getting a SPDIF Coaxial to Digital converter if you want to use the set-up you want, since I'm guessing the EMU doesn't have the option to do it internally.

Sorry... I'm not being clear. I can get the s/pdif coaxial to work ONLY if I'm running through the optical in. I can't get the s/pdif coaxial to work if I'm running analogue in from the computer... and that's what I want it to do.
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Sorry... I'm not being clear. I can get the s/pdif coaxial to work ONLY if I'm running through the optical in. I can't get the s/pdif coaxial to work if I'm running analogue in from the computer... and that's what I want it to do.
You want analogue in, optical out to the monitors, right?

*edit* This is probably a dumb question, but do you have the direct monitoring set to s/pdif?

*again* Sample rate?

Better a crust in peace than a banquet in a house of contention

"Be careful chasing Unicorns..." -tINY
BudgetMC
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
You want analogue in, optical out to the monitors, right?

*edit* This is probably a dumb question, but do you have the direct monitoring set to s/pdif?

*again* Sample rate?
Yes... that's what I want. I do have the Monitoring set to s/pdif. Not sure exactly where I should set the sample rate, however...
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Gear maniac

in windows... the s/pdif outputs are only available in ASIO mode... you can't assign to them from the windows control panel currently. dunno about on the mac.

direct monitoring does NOT affect the signal coming from the computer (over USB) - it only determines whether signals coming into the box from either main inputs or S/PDIF input get mixed into the main or digital outputs, locally on the box itself (without a round-trip through the computer). This is why selecting the optical in, and monitoring to S/PDIF works. (btw, audio from the computer ALWAYS comes out the outputs... this only determines whether audio from inputs is ALSO added).

afaik it outputs both coax & optical at once, but can only take input from one or the other (obviously).

if you're on windows, probably the emu is not the right box for you, unfortunately, because of this limitation.

Last edited by chroma; 8th August 2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: add one line
BudgetMC
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
in windows... the s/pdif outputs are only available in ASIO mode... you can't assign to them from the windows control panel currently. dunno about on the mac.

direct monitoring does NOT affect the signal coming from the computer (over USB) - it only determines whether signals coming into the box from either main inputs or S/PDIF input get mixed into the main or digital outputs, locally on the box itself (without a round-trip through the computer). This is why selecting the optical in, and monitoring to S/PDIF works. (btw, audio from the computer ALWAYS comes out the outputs... this only determines whether audio from inputs is ALSO added).

afaik it outputs both coax & optical at once, but can only take input from one or the other (obviously).

if you're on windows, probably the emu is not the right box for you, unfortunately, because of this limitation.
Thanks Chroma!

OK... this is starting to make a wee bit of sense to my pee brain.

1) I'm getting digital audio from the computer into the 0404 via usb.

2) I can send this audio to my monitors via the analogue outputs.

3) I can hear this audio via the headphone out of the 0404

4) If I bring digital audio into the 0404 via the optical, I can send digital audio out from the 0404 via s/pdif coaxial

5) BUT, I cannot get digial audio into the 0404 via the USB and send it out via the s/pdif because of something that has to do with ASIO... am I right on this last point??
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear maniac

yep, all correct. the reason is that the main outs are outputs 1-2 and the spdif are outputs 3-4, and there's no way in the windows control panel to choose the 3-4 output pair. But a program that uses ASIO sees all 4 outputs, and you can tell it to go out the 3-4 output.
BudgetMC
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
yep, all correct. the reason is that the main outs are outputs 1-2 and the spdif are outputs 3-4, and there's no way in the windows control panel to choose the 3-4 output pair. But a program that uses ASIO sees all 4 outputs, and you can tell it to go out the 3-4 output.
Gotcha. Thanks!! You rock.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

glad to help

incidentally, i just yesterday saw (got inspired to search) that there is actually a win7 beta driver for the 0404 usb. And when installed, you get three options in the control panel, Speakers, Headphones, and Digital Out. I don't know what is different between speaker and headphones, and I didn't get a chance to play with it, but maybe try that and see if it lets you use the digital out. Weird thing was the digital out only seems to support sampling rates 88.2k and above... no 44.1 or 48. But maybe that works for you?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search