What do you think of Puremix.net
Old 15th July 2011
Gear nut

What do you think of Puremix.net

Guys, I've searched the forum but didn't find any similar topic. So here we go.

Recently I came across the web site puremix.net which is a mixing and recording tutorial site run by well known producer Fab Dupont. You may remember him presenting sonnox plugs in NAMM as that's where I know him from.

I have watched all the free tutorial and I am convinced that this web site is a good canditate for a mixing tutorial source on the web. And I know Fab is really talented.

But before buying the tutorials, I would like to know what you think of this website and tutorials they are providing. Has anyone watched the full tutorials?

PUREMIX
Old 29th July 2011
Gear nut

Bump.
Old 19th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Fab and Ben are really talented. They know what they are talking about.

These videos get straight to the point and show what really matters. No blabbering... Audio is high definition too.

People actually feel like they have learnt something that they can put into use right after they watched one of the videos.

Just look at all the comments under each video... it speaks for itself.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Head

I guess I'm probably biased but I've seen a lot of other videos from other places and the way the Puremix videos are put together is much more thorough, lots of A/B examples, etc. They also challenge you to listen to what's happening more than just telling you to use this preset to sound this way if you get what I mean.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear interested

PureMix.net

I've purchased a bunch of their videos, Fab is obviously a beast when it comes to mixing and recording. He explains everything in a way that is so easy to follow. I constantly tell myself "oh so that's the way they get that sound.." You can't get tips like these from anyone else...
Only one thing, I WANT MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION AVAILABLE!
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

+1 to everything above. Fab explains stuff better than ANYBODY I've come across and it seems to be for a more knowledgable crowd, which is nice since that seems to be a gap in the market. Monthly subscription would be great.
Old 7th December 2011
Advanced Audio Tutorials

Thanks guys!
It really makes my day when I see than people like what we do.
More videos coming!
Subscriptions are going to be available really soon!
Stay tuned.
Old 11th December 2011
Gear maniac

I’ve bought a video yesterday, Trasparent Vocal Compression and I saw the mixing videos live in Gearfest too. They are excellent. I’m waiting for the How To Listen video. The tracks for practicing are great too.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Head

I have organized several mix workshops with Fab in Germany many years ago. These videos are in every aspect the best ones out there, Fabs lets you into his secrets and the quality is amazing. Thumbs up - keep on going !

stefan
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Very high quality turoials/video/audio, and fab is the man. I first saw got tuned into them after those gearfest videos.
Old 13th January 2012
Advanced Audio Tutorials

Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

puremix

based on the samples, these vids look pretty cool. I'd really like to see some of them. Today, i created a puremix account and attempted to purchase one.

However, the description on how to watch the videos is not helpful. The site says "To rent a video, thank you for choosing a video and click the button «buy now»". Unfortunately, i see no button clearly labeled "buy now". I think they mean the orange shopping cart icon beneath the video description, but it does nothing when i click it. I've tried both the Firefox and Safari browsers.

BTW, nobody has pointed this out, but I think it should be stated clearly that you don't actually "BUY" these videos. According to the Puremix website, you can only stream the video for 30 days. They do not offer a download option.

oh well...
maybe i'll try again later.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

Stupid not to offer downloads imo.
If I want to double check something in two months, I have to buy it again?
No sale.
Old 14th February 2012
Advanced Audio Tutorials

FYI
We are currently working on something that should ease your pain.
Old 14th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremix.net View Post
FYI
We are currently working on something that should ease your pain.
Keep us posted when that happens.
Then I might give it a try.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

I haven't been to the puremix site so far- but watched a presentation about tracking and mixing by Fab Dupont on the Sweetwater Youtube channel a few days ago.

If that video on youtube is any indicator of the quality of puremix.net then it must be really excellent.
Old 15th February 2012
Advanced Audio Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbs1210 View Post
I haven't been to the puremix site so far- but watched a presentation about tracking and mixing by Fab Dupont on the Sweetwater Youtube channel a few days ago.

If that video on youtube is any indicator of the quality of puremix.net then it must be really excellent.
This video series which took place at sweetwater last year is a "live"performance for the artist and for us. No safety net. It did turn out pretty good.

Videos on the website are at another level. They are scripted, concise and straight to the point.

Also, it looks like we re about to do it again this year :-)
Old 25th November 2012
Advanced Audio Tutorials

Hi guys!
We thought we would give this thread a refresher.

pureMix is now offering up to 35% off its subscriptions. Offer is ending tonight, at midnight. After that, everything it turning back to pumpkins again.

Hurry up!
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

Hi Roberto,

The web terrain changes every minute day by day so frequent searches on this topic will turn up new solutions all the time. That said currently Puremix is one of the most concise, accurate, and up-to-date sources of information for using the tools.

A previous commenter mentioned having problems with the site. I can’t shed any light on issues the site may have. Not knowing whether the guy who mentioned having problems is using any browser plug-ins that may be contributing to his issue, we can’t say there really is any issue. So we have to take that comment with a grain of salt.

When buying a subscription you also have to take into consideration the parties involved, the information they have to share and it’s value, whether the site is “their baby” and all they do, or if it’s a secondary hobby or business that they work around other things they are doing. In the case of Puremix it appears to be a secondary business.

However, the material is about how to use the tools available so how much hand holding do you need when you watch a video that says “Turn this knob and this is what it will sound like when you do so.”? When I am going to pay for something on the web I will frequently do a little test where I contact them either to say hi, or to ask a question, or play dumb as if I don’t know how to click the button that says “Register” and submit a help request saying “I need help registering”. I do this so I can get a feel for how responsive and informed their support is.

With some websites if you have a problem you want to know how long it’s going to take to get an answer, the quality of the answer you are going to get, and how big a staff they have to handle questions. In the case of Puremix I never heard back from something I sent them. This is not a deal breaker for me but it might be for you if you think you may need to email them to ask for an explanation on something or if you need help with some issue on the site. My personal feeling is that the videos are of excellent quality and it’s not likely you would need to contact them for any clarification. Your mileage may vary.

If you urgently need to know how to make a hot dog or want to be entertained, Puremix is worth a look. Fab is very entertaining in my opinion so that helps ease the pain of learning.

The best thing to do is sample it. Decide whether or not the presenter speaks to you and you feel like you can connect enough to absorb the material.

When I was in grade school I asked a teacher how I might become a better sight reader and he pointed to a stack of music and said “Read music”. So as with anything, you get out of it what you put in. If you think you will watch a video and learn how to record and mix you are deluding yourself. You must apply it, you must do it on a daily basis. Applying it to your own projects still limits you - so you also want to take a stab at mixing material you wouldn’t normally work on. You mentioned mixing so there are some other sites you may want to look over as well. Three other sites that come to mind are:

TheRecordingRevolution.com (see his 30 days to a better mix on youtube - free). (Response time 1-3 business days)

Pro-Tools-Expert.com Yearly subscription, less than $20 for a full year. Cheaper than Puremix, a good alternative to the digidesign user conference (DUC), more aimed at using Pro Tools and the plug-ins provided with Pro Tools. (Response time 1-3 business days)

Mixcoach.com Monthly subscription, $20 a month. One song released per month in several different formats. They walk you through the track and the problems you may find. You post your mixes throughout the month and other fellow engineers give feedback. Then you go back and tweak your mix throughout the month. Kind of like you might do with a client. You turn in your final mix at the end of the month along with everyone else and they go through the videos and comment on them all in one session. The material is varied so you will work on many different genres. (Response time less than 24 hours, sometimes within a couple of hours).

I hope you find this information helpful.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
If you like puremix, I would highly recommend checking out AudioSchoolOnline.com - From Basement to Bigtime. It's a great site run by an excellent Grammy Winning Engineer by the name of Ken Lewis who is also a GS'er.
Sorry (and no disrespect) but this quote from Ken Lewis "Nowadays it's very difficult to find a mentor that can truly teach you anything of real value about the record making process." kinda put me off as it comes over as a kind of old fashioned advertising copy that bears nor relationship to the facts. There are a load of great people doing wonderful tuts... People like Fab whose entertaining and humorous tutorials are always spot on or Dave Pensado who is such fun in a weird kind of rambling way...The guy from 'The Recording Revolution' etc...

But to answer the initial query... PureMix rocks!
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
Sorry (and no disrespect) but this quote from Ken Lewis "Nowadays it's very difficult to find a mentor that can truly teach you anything of real value about the record making process." kinda put me off as it comes over as a kind of old fashioned advertising copy that bears nor relationship to the facts. There are a load of great people doing wonderful tuts...
Kelvyn,

You are correct. There are a lot of people doing good work. In the case of Ken i wouldn't assume that Ken wrote it. It could have been written by someone else or some marketing person hired to put something together. I always ignore that marketing hype anyways. I also agree that when you see a lot of marketing jabber it's time to really get down and scrutinize the product offered.

Since I don't know Ken personally or have never had the chance to sample his offerings I can't really comment on the material offered.

Best wishes!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend PureMix over Audio School Online. My only issue with PureMix is they have a subscription model, but new videos aren't released all that frequently.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

www.AudioSchoolOnline.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Kelvyn,

You are correct. There are a lot of people doing good work. In the case of Ken i wouldn't assume that Ken wrote it. It could have been written by someone else or some marketing person hired to put something together. I always ignore that marketing hype anyways. I also agree that when you see a lot of marketing jabber it's time to really get down and scrutinize the product offered.

Since I don't know Ken personally or have never had the chance to sample his offerings I can't really comment on the material offered.

Best wishes!
Hi guys. I wrote it, said it, and i stand by it. Sure there are a few great sites out there to learn, Puremix, Groove3, there are far more expensive resources like Berklee Online. Of course great free stuff like Pensado's Place and Into the Lair, Recording Revolution, and my site and a few others i'm sure. I think we all have our niche. and if you think thats ALOT of resources, well, i'll just have to disagree on your definition of "alot". Sure there are plenty of others scattered about, and the feedback that i've gotten time and time and time again is that its very difficult to find credible top level people teaching in depth information regularly. Not impossible. thats other people constantly saying that to me. feel free to contradict.

When i was coming up in the music industry, there were at least 100 MAJOR recording facilities in NYC alone, the studio i worked at in NYC had 9 big rooms, same with LA and Nashville. Miami was on the come up, Chicago had alot of rooms, etc... there are still a few of those studios left, but maybe 10% of what used to be there. It used to be that you could intern / assist at one of these facilities and get dozens of hours, usually alot more, of directly being in the room while big records were being made, learning from some of the absolute top guys in the industry.

I used to get to assist for guys like Tony Maserati, Bob Brockman, and a string of other top guys from that era that dont have as currently recognizable names. what a fantastic education that was for me!! That path is only available now to a very very select few. Me and the above mentioned sites are the few consistently offering the level of training we are. So, i'm not really sure why your bashing me, but hey, its the internet, i'm used to it.

So, to this poster (and moreso to the one you quoted), you say "its time to really get down and scrutinize the product offered". couldnt agree more. scrutinize away. some people are gonna love what i do, some people are gonna find fault with it. hmmm, sounds like the music industry I've been a part of for 20 years plus now.

So, to emphasize my point, to anyone who thinks resources like mine grow on trees, please show me where else on the internet you can find an over 90 minute free tutorial, breaking down the mixing of a double platinum #1 single, step by step thru the entire mix by the guy who mixed it, using the original session, showing and explaining everything i did. Here's episode 1 of 3.

"Down On Me" Mix Session Part 1 of 3 (Jeremih and 50 Cent) - Ken Lewis Breaks down the Mix - YouTube

enjoy.
Ken Lewis
AudioSchoolOnline.com
Old 4th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by puremix.net View Post
Hi guys!
We thought we would give this thread a refresher.

pureMix is now offering up to 35% off its subscriptions. Offer is ending tonight, at midnight. After that, everything it turning back to pumpkins again.

Hurry up!
Is that 35% off the advertised price currently on the website?
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
My only issue with PureMix is they have a subscription model, but new videos aren't released all that frequently.
x1000
Old 5th December 2012
Advanced Audio Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Hi Roberto,

When buying a subscription you also have to take into consideration the parties involved, the information they have to share and it’s value, whether the site is “their baby” and all they do, or if it’s a secondary hobby or business that they work around other things they are doing. In the case of Puremix it appears to be a secondary business.

In the case of Puremix I never heard back from something I sent them. This is not a deal breaker for me but it might be for you if you think you may need to email them to ask for an explanation on something or if you need help with some issue on the site.
Hi Java!
Thank you for your detailed post.
I can assure you that pureMix is not a secondary business and that there is an entire team working full time on this baby.
Also, we make a point in answering every single email we receive. Usually the same day. 2 days max... something must have gone wrong. Try again :-)
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear
@Ken Lewis... Please accept my apologies if I gave the impression I was bashing you in any way. I watched your tutorial and thought it was very informative I just was commenting on that one statement.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear nut

I downloaded a few of Ken's tutorials last night. I've been doing audio recording and mixing for over 10 years and I feel that my time and money was well spent. Thanks Ken!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search