Apogee Duet (1st gen) on Lion 10.7 - **2 workarounds for devs/early adopters
HoldernessMedia
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Gear interested

Apogee Duet (1st gen) on Lion 10.7 - NEW Updated Apogee drivers available!!!

Hi, this is my first post here, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum.
I originally posted this information in the Macrumors Digital Audio forum, but I thought it might be helpful to post here as well.

3 TEMPORARY WORKAROUNDS for 1st gen Apogee Duet and Lion 10.7

**Lion is still considered unsupported by Apogee at this point, so if you upgrade to Lion before Apogee releases an official update to Maestro or the Duet installer software, you have been warned, please don't complain about it here.

These workarounds are intended for those of us who just have to try all the new stuff, or those who updated unknowingly before Apogee releases their updates.
As soon as Apogee releases their official updates this thread should be rendered useless, and deleted.

Let me first state that Im not sure these work across the board, but both solutions have worked for several different users. kittyflipping's method seems to work on both new and old machines, so try this process first. If that doesn't work, try #2 and see if that will work for your machine.

I hope this works for others, although I'm sure Apogee is already working hard to get it ready either before or shortly after Lion's release.

Here's the rundown.

Problems/Symptoms:

You have an original firewire Duet, and installed the latest Maestro/duet installer on your machine running Lion. The Duet initially would show up as an available core audio device in both Logic and system sounds, but would not play back audio.

If you try to playback audio or adjust the volume, the Duet would keep disappearing and reappearing as an available core audio device in Logic, same happens if trying to play from iTunes, etc. System sounds would show the Duet appearing and reappearing as an available device, but still NO audio.
Tried rebooting, no dice. Permissions repair, reinstall Maestro, etc. and still the same issues.

**Workaround solution #1 **
(From macrumors user kittyflipping, also confirmed working by Smeeth123 and HoldernessMedia)

1. Open activity monitor
2. Make sure "all processes" is selected in the popup menu at the top of the window.
3. Select DuetDaemon and force quit it. For me I've had to force quit it twice to actually kill it.

The Duet should be working fine now. Try the volume knob on the Duet.

*Additionally, even though the Duet volume knob works fine after this, and system preferences recognizes the Duet, for some reason the volume icon in the menu bar remains grayed out, and my volume up/down keys on MBP don't do anything. So for anyone trying this, be sure and try the duet's volume knob if your keys aren't working.

Additionally, Macrumors user Nitrus submitted this, using the kill duetDaemon method in an applescript:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrus
Here is what I am using... Works for me!

With the AppleScript editor, add the following:

do shell script "killall duetDaemon" password <your password here> with administrator privileges

SAVE AS APPLICATION!

Finally, add the script to your Login items.

**Workaround solution #2**

From Macrumors user VoiceofReason: (verified also by user vtk)

"I have read the fixes so far for the Apogee Duet under OSX Lion, e.g. killing off "duetDaemon", etc.

Here's a new one. Disconnect the duet, run the official uninstaller, and let it reboot. Then plug-in the Duet and re-select it as output device. Now, the Duet seems to work just fine and no killing of processes is needed. Of course, you can't go in and run Maestro b/c it doesn't exist, but when I killed of duetDaemon before it was annoying, it still didn't allow me to use the keyboard volume control for the Duet, and I was getting crackling audio with another drive running off the same firewire port. With THIS method (uninstalling the software) it at least works and you get volume control back."

**Workaround solution #3 (Original solution, try only if others don't work.)**

(From macrumors user HoldernessMedia, also confirmed working for aguaplano).

Try this, in THIS EXACT ORDER. Opening Maestro BEFORE trying to do anything with audio is absolutely crucial. This also assumes that you already have the latest Duet installer/Maestro software from Apogee's site installed on your computer. (Version 1.9.14 at the time of this posting.)

1.) Reboot the computer.

2.) Do not touch the duet, or try to adjust volume yet. Seriously, don't do it yet. If you do, you will need to reboot.

3.) Open Maestro, click on the "identify unit" button. You will see the Duet's hardware meters go full into the red. Wait a second or so, then click the "identify unit" button again. The Duet's hardware meters should return to normal.

4.) If need be, in Maestro unmute the Duet's outputs.

5.) Try playing audio out of the Duet now. Try using it as normal in Logic, GarageBand, iTunes, whatever.

Please, anyone who upgraded early to Lion please report back here if this works for you, or if you find any further information!

Last edited by HoldernessMedia; 1st September 2011 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Updated Drivers released
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Nice of you to share this!
HoldernessMedia
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Morph_ View Post
Nice of you to share this!
No problem.
It seems to be helping people over at Macrumors, and should make the transition to Lion a little easier until Apogee release their updates.
I've got my Duet working great on my test machine that's running 10.7
HoldernessMedia
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Gear interested

Added info from Macrumors user Nitrus who is using an applescript with the kill duetDaemon to run the Duet with Lion. Pretty slick solution.
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Gear nut

All of that...

and Lion is not even out yet. :-)
HoldernessMedia
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosz Idzi View Post
and Lion is not even out yet. :-)
Haha, yes. Well, this is intended for EARLY, early adopters like myself who just can't wait, and insist on mucking around before anyone releases updates for Lion compatibility.

This thread will be rendered moot as soon as Apogee push out an update for the Duet.
HoldernessMedia
19th July 2011
Old 19th July 2011
Gear interested

Ok, so Lion is officially being released tomorrow. Hopefully Apogee will release their updates soon. In the meantime, for anyone who upgrades and has issues with their original Duet, the solutions in the first post work.
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Gear interested

Audio Quality Issue?

Anybody else having difficulty? To me, I hear a difference in the audio output - lacking a certain definition and crispness that I had going under Snow Leopard. I'm hoping official software/drivers fix this, but nobody else mentioned it.

Additionally having some issues plugging in V-Drums to the 1 and 2 inputs. Getting no signal, although single channel stuff like bass and guitar work fine. Again, hoping its a software issue.

Anyone having similar issues or noticing the audio quality issue?
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Gear interested

How to fix 1st Gen Duet in Lion

Hi - I found that the conflict in Lion is with DuetPopUp. Using Pacifist I deselected DuetPopUp.app and the 1st Gen Duet works like it did!!! Give it a try. regards, JIm
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSonic View Post
Hi - I found that the conflict in Lion is with DuetPopUp. Using Pacifist I deselected DuetPopUp.app and the 1st Gen Duet works like it did!!! Give it a try. regards, JIm
Can you discribe how you did this? Pacifist lets me only extract files... :-(
HoldernessMedia
30th July 2011
Old 30th July 2011
Gear interested

I've added a 3rd workaround via Macrumors user VoiceofReason and vtk who simply ran the Duet uninstaller and is using the Duet bypassing the Maestro software.

I haven't done this myself as I haven't had the need, but figured I'd share it here for anyone who is interested.
I've personally been running fine by just occasionally killing the duetdaemon once and awhile if need be.
30th July 2011
Old 30th July 2011
Sonic Hooligan

^ It's true.. On my Lion test drive, I noticed the Duet just worked without me installing any of it's software. But then it likely would in 10.6 too, as the basic driver has been part of the OS for a while.
However, unless you only use the interface for playback, rather than recording, then it's use is very limited without that extra software that lets you switch inputs and adjust levels etc etc..

So.. Better than nothing, but it's no fix by any means..
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Head

Hi,
I made a little application for the Duet and Mac OS X Lion.
Just select it in pref pan/account/choose it to open at reboot
Sorry for my english i'm french

Apple Script Duet.zip
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

^And what exactly does this script do? Just killall duetDaemon?
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks for this posting !!
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

Yes it kill the daemon.
Enjoy !
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Gear interested

shell script?

I'm new to this degree of computer lingo... But I have to figure out how to get my duet to work with my new laptop... my gig relies on this! The first approach didn't work...I'd force quit duetDaemon in the activity monitor (twice) and it would disappear for only about 5 seconds and come on again. So I proceeded to the #2 workaround and I'm doing something wrong. perhaps I don't know what "shell script" is? I'm typing this: killall duetDaemon password <my password> and clicking "RUN"

then I get this message:
"an Identifier can't go after this identifier" (and "killall duetDaemon" is highlighted in gray)

haven't tried third workaround yet.

Also do you know if you can go back to 10.6 after upgrading to 10.7?
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Head

Try my app it working !!!
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Sonic Hooligan

saith, if it is for a gig, then im guessing you only require the outputs. In which case, simply using the uninstaller for the Duets software should work fine. The OS's default drivers will take care of audio out from the Duet for you.
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Head

I doubt there will be a driver update. Who wants to bet when August is close to an end it will change to "September, 2011" or "October, 2011" might as well just put "NEVER." I'm forced to sell my Apogee Duet now and use an AudioBox USB instead, makes no sense that the AudioBox works better than the Duet. I really doubt this static issue is a driver issue also. Whenever I listen to music it has static pops on playback. I have to reboot my computer constantly to make it go away, but few hours later it'll come back. What a nightmare!
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baurman View Post
I doubt there will be a driver update. Who wants to bet when August is close to an end it will change to "September, 2011" or "October, 2011" might as well just put "NEVER." I'm forced to sell my Apogee Duet now and use an AudioBox USB instead, makes no sense that the AudioBox works better than the Duet. I really doubt this static issue is a driver issue also. Whenever I listen to music it has static pops on playback. I have to reboot my computer constantly to make it go away, but few hours later it'll come back. What a nightmare!
Come on! Lion has only been out, what, 3 weeks?? Give them a chance.

Ok, so this little problem was actually known about even before Lion was publicly released. So you could have perhaps taken that as a sign not to upgrade to Lion just yet. Apogee could also be a little quicker about it, granted. But it is far from too late.
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Head

So the problem with the static isn't with OS X Lion? What's the issue with that? I'm new to the forum so I'm not exactly sure what the issue was with the static until reboot was. The reason I'm kinda disappointed is I read rave reviews about how amazing the Duet was, so I bought it. (I already updated to Lion before I knew about the Duet, and I didn't know it was incompatible until I received it.) So ever since I got it, it's been giving me nightmares more than joy. So it sucks for me.
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Sonic Hooligan

The static would be a different issue, im sure. But I couldn't say what, from here.. Maybe a fault with the Duet? Some chipset compatibility issue? Can you try it on another Mac?
I doubt 10.7 is responsible though.. I can get mine to output audio in 10.7 with no problems that I noticed. But as it isn't fully supported yet, I chose to stick with 10.6 for the time being. And I don't feel like im missing a whole lot in Lion anyway to be honest..
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear Head

3 more days until September. In which Apogee should get sued for false advertising if there is no driver update... We'll see how much Apogee cares about their customers.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baurman View Post
3 more days until September. In which Apogee should get sued for false advertising if there is no driver update... We'll see how much Apogee cares about their customers.
Word.. Still waiting. Only one more day now..
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear maniac

Got a new mac with Lion coming later this week and will be pissed if I can not use my Duet properly with it
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by daguv View Post
Got a new mac with Lion coming later this week and will be pissed if I can not use my Duet properly with it
Understandable.. We'll see tomorrow!
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing yet 5pm uk time.

Seeing as the Duet 2 driver is still in beta and Lion was released to devs in February, it's not looking good..
HoldernessMedia
1st September 2011
Old 1st September 2011
Gear interested

New drivers for the Duet and ONE available on Apogee's site

Apogee Electronics > Downloads

Installed, everything is back to normal.

This thread is now moot.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search