New Reply
Subscribe
Michael Carnes
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM Native Plugins: Lion and 64 bit

Hi folks,
Just thought I'd post a little heads-up regarding our native plugins. For Mac users, 10.7 (Lion) is right around the corner. Our current shipping plugins will not run under Lion, so hold off on upgrading for just a bit. New versions of the plugins will be available before long. They're working in the lab, and we've just got to get them through our test program. Shouldn't be but a few weeks. Here's what you'll need to know in advance:
  • These are Mac versions. We're working on the Windows stuff, but it may lag by a bit.
  • All AU and VST plugins will become 32/64 bits for Intel processors (they'll stay at 32 bits for PowerPC).
  • The RTAS plugins will remain at 32 bits, since ProTools remains at 32 bits. Still a few bug fixes you'll want.
  • For Intel Macs, 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and 10.7 (Lion) will be supported. No more 10.4 Tiger on Intel.
  • For PowerPC Macs, 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard) will be supported. This will probably be the end of the road for PowerPC support.
  • The new iLok (iLok2) is required. I know some folks won't be happy about it, but that's just the way it's got to be.
  • We will probably stage the release of these plugs so that we have adequate testing. We will update PCM Native Reverb, PCM Native Effects and LXP Native Reverb.
  • This will be a free upgrade to licensed users.

We usually don't like to tip our cards about what's coming up, but Lion is a big change and we want to make sure it goes smoothly for you. The 64-bit thing isn't too bad either.

Please don't PM me about Beta testing. When the time comes, we'll ask you to contact our service department if you like being on the bleeding edge. Best wishes for a good weekend.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Awesome news!!! 64-bit is the way!!!
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for the transparency NS. It will not go unnoticed. Best of luck working on the update!
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
Gear addict

It's cool that my plugs will be moving up to 64 bit.. the ones that aren't already, but it's too bad PT hasn't yet, hopefully soon..

But then there is my Mac Pro.. it's a 2008 8 core 3ghz.. a 2.1. I'm not sure that it will even run Lion as it has a 32 bit kernal. Maybe there will be an EFI update to allow it to run in 64 bit, but I'm not holding my breath.. May be time for a new Mac Pro..
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
But then there is my Mac Pro.. it's a 2008 8 core 3ghz.. a 2.1.
That's one of the machines I develop on. Not a problem.
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
Gear nut

I'm running a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 as well, so it's good to know that it will run Lion. Still thinking about getting a new machine within the next year though.
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lematrix Send a message via Skype™ to lematrix
Great News!!

Thank you for the news.
Now its time for me to get a new Mac with Lion, when it arrives.

...and Time for ilok2. Hope it works now
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
Hi folks,
Just thought I'd post a little heads-up regarding our native plugins. For Mac users, 10.7 (Lion) is right around the corner. Our current shipping plugins will not run under Lion, so hold off on upgrading for just a bit. New versions of the plugins will be available before long. They're working in the lab, and we've just got to get them through our test program. Shouldn't be but a few weeks. Here's what you'll need to know in advance:
  • These are Mac versions. We're working on the Windows stuff, but it may lag by a bit.
  • All AU and VST plugins will become 32/64 bits for Intel processors (they'll stay at 32 bits for PowerPC).
  • The RTAS plugins will remain at 32 bits, since ProTools remains at 32 bits. Still a few bug fixes you'll want.
  • For Intel Macs, 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and 10.7 (Lion) will be supported. No more 10.4 Tiger on Intel.
  • For PowerPC Macs, 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard) will be supported. This will probably be the end of the road for PowerPC support.
  • The new iLok (iLok2) is required. I know some folks won't be happy about it, but that's just the way it's got to be.
  • We will probably stage the release of these plugs so that we have adequate testing. We will update PCM Native Reverb, PCM Native Effects and LXP Native Reverb.

We usually don't like to tip our cards about what's coming up, but Lion is a big change and we want to make sure it goes smoothly for you. The 64-bit thing isn't too bad either.

Please don't PM me about Beta testing. When the time comes, we'll ask you to contact our service department if you like being on the bleeding edge. Best wishes for a good weekend.
Thanks for the detailed and transparent info on this. This 64 bit Mac OS platform is really shaking things up lately, and a hot topic around my studio world. That 32 bit plugin wrapper (or whatever it's referred to) is a half-assed work around. Glad Lexicon is on the forefront in the 64 bit development. Waves, UAD (though I don't currently use UAD plugs) seem to be treating this in a backseat fashion. Which to me is a big mistake. The ability to have only one plugin window at a time open on the screen is unworkable, let alone having to click twice and the disappearance of the plugin window when clicked off of. We all know the ball-and-chain feel.

I operate between Pro Tools and Logic, but more recent projects are done in Logic, which will be a good thing once this 64 bit situation gets smoothed out. Having access to the additional RAM and other factors is a great leap forward.

Although there is another extensive thread here on GS about the Lexicon Native plugins, for those in doubt about the sound and functioning of these Lexicon Native plugins, fear not. I have owned many HW Lexicon units through the years, and still do. These Native plugins are no joke, but the real thing no question about it. Having a development team at Lexicon such as what exists is instrumental in holding their standing in the industry. And it is moves like these toward 64 bit and speaking openly to real users that will win the race every single time. Take note Waves and UAD and others.
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to andivax Send a message via MSN to andivax
thank you! can t hardly wait for win vst 64.
ilok2 suxx
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
That's one of the machines I develop on. Not a problem.
If you're saying Lion will work on this, you just made my day.
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Although there is another extensive thread here on GS about the Lexicon Native plugins, for those in doubt about the sound and functioning of these Lexicon Native plugins, fear not. I have owned many HW Lexicon units through the years, and still do. These Native plugins are no joke, but the real thing no question about it. Having a development team at Lexicon such as what exists is instrumental in holding their standing in the industry. And it is moves like these toward 64 bit and speaking openly to real users that will win the race every single time. Take note Waves and UAD and others.
I put off buying the PCM reverb bundle for ages thinking that there coudn't be that much difference between them and what I already had, (a bunch of them).... boy was I wrong. These guys get my vote almost 90% of the time now.. Altiverb 6 gets the other 10..
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear addict

cool reverb
12th July 2011
Old 12th July 2011
Gear interested

Somehow this sounds strange...but I want to thank Nobody.
Michael Carnes
12th July 2011
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy543 View Post
Somehow this sounds strange...but I want to thank Nobody.
Nobody appreciates your remarks
12th July 2011
Old 12th July 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to tekis
I love...

Quote:
Nobody appreciates your remarks

...Nobody Special!
dio
21st July 2011
Old 21st July 2011
dio
Gear addict

any news?
Michael Carnes
22nd July 2011
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
any news?
We're testing now. Should know more in a few days. We know it's urgent and are doing our best to move along quickly.
22nd July 2011
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to stevedemena Send a message via Skype™ to stevedemena
Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
It's cool that my plugs will be moving up to 64 bit.. the ones that aren't already, but it's too bad PT hasn't yet, hopefully soon..

But then there is my Mac Pro.. it's a 2008 8 core 3ghz.. a 2.1. I'm not sure that it will even run Lion as it has a 32 bit kernal. Maybe there will be an EFI update to allow it to run in 64 bit, but I'm not holding my breath.. May be time for a new Mac Pro..
I wouldnt worry - I have the very first Mac Pro from 2006 and it ran the betas of Lion fine on test drives I have in it.

I won't be upgrading the whole system for awhile until PT 9 & my plugins will work.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Steve

---------
Mac Pro & MacBook Pro - Pro Tools 10 HD, Logic 9, Cubase 7, Ableton 8, OS X 10.7.3 / 10.8.2
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK XS & ES, FS1R, Roland INTEGRA-7, V-Synth XT, MKS-20, MKS-50, TR-909, Korg M3, TRITON-Rack, Akai MPC2000XL, access Rack XL
Avid HD I/O & PCIe Native, UAD 4-710d 4-channel Mic Pre, Bricasti M7
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear addict

64bit for Win 7

I am really looking forward to a 64bit version for Win7.

Is there an approx. timing ?
Will it be available for native reverb and native effect at the same time ?
Michael Carnes
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsound-2 View Post

The Windows stuff is coming along well, although it will lag the Mac release by a bit. The Native Reverbs will be first because there are more people affected. FX will follow by a little while.
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to andivax Send a message via MSN to andivax
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsound-2 View Post

me to! but ATM i use 32 bit version with JBRIDGE. It's cheap - 15 euro.

www.ANDIVAXMASTERING.com - 50% discount

23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Hi folks,

I have already upgraded to Lion and am facing tons of issues with Lex stuff.

Can we have some information about lead times?

Last edited by Unicorn; 23rd July 2011 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: .
Michael Carnes
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
I have already upgraded to Lion and am facing tons of issues with Lex stuff.

Can we have some information about lead times?
Sorry you didn't catch this thread earlier when I announced the incompatibility. I will not state any lead times here. I'll say once again that we know it's a serious issue for many people and that it is our number one priority. The code is done and it's a matter of sufficient testing.
31st July 2011
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Will the LXP bundle need the ilok 2 also?
31st July 2011
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to inthere
I'm having trouble with all my other iLok plugins too. Is iLok2 Lion compatible?
Michael Carnes
31st July 2011
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton View Post
Will the LXP bundle need the ilok 2 also?
Yes it will.
Michael Carnes
31st July 2011
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
I'm having trouble with all my other iLok plugins too. Is iLok2 Lion compatible?
Yes it's compatible, but you need to hop on iLok.com and make sure your drivers are up-to-date. A lot of plugins may still need some work. The chief issue is that the 'Carbon' framework from Apple isn't supported in Lion. Many plugins use bits of that older framework, so they need updating. Previous versions (Leopard and Snow Leopard) support both 'Carbon' and the newer 'Cocoa' framework. Lion plugins must be Cocoa-only.
31st July 2011
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to inthere
Well, I guess it's time to upgrade to iLok2, expecting a huge hassle but I've got
to do it! I have Lex reverbs at least 4 times on every song I have saved!
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi folks,
[*]The new iLok (iLok2) is required. I know some folks won't be happy about it, but that's just the way it's got to be.
[*]This will be a free upgrade to licensed users.[/LIST]

No offense intended, but the statement "that's just the way it's got to be" really rubs me the wrong way. There are already several vendors whose plugins work under Lion using the old iLok system. I can understand that Lexicon wants to beef up the security of its software. However, I think it's kind of under-handed to force customers to buy new iLok2 hardware to continue using software that they have already purchased. Especially under the guise of it being required for future OS compatibility.

I currently have two iLoks because I sometimes need to move my plugins between my studio computer and laptop. This is no trivial purchase for me, since I would need to purchase two iLok2s. I sincerely hope that Lexicon also intends on throwing in some new LXP algorithms, presets or something.

I have a serious problem with supporting companies that expect me to pay money to continue using something that I've already paid for. 64-bit support is nice, but it's not something that most of us actually need. Please don't say that I could always choose to NOT upgrade to Lion because I can't...my new MacBook Pro came with Lion included.

-e.B
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
I think it's kind of under-handed to force customers to buy new iLok2 hardware to continue using software that they have already purchased.
Quote:
I have a serious problem with supporting companies that expect me to pay money to continue using something that I've already paid for.
It costs every software manufacturer a lot of time and effort to bring their software to a new operating system or new CPU. $100 for two new iLok 2's is small change compared to what you spent on your new laptop. Occasional small upgrade fees from major software makers seems fair to me.

And, perhaps these costs wouldn't be there if everyone actually PAID for the software they use!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search