Originally Posted by Kamurah
However, update is causing CPU spikes and errors in Pro Tools that were not there in the previous version. CPU meter acting erratic and playback or recording impossible.
We spent considerable--and I mean considerable
--time chasing reports of "CPU Spikes". We have not found anything attributable to our plugins. We've added many testers and set up a large number of test systems, but have not found anything. The CPU load of the new plugin builds is quite even, modulating by only a few percent.
What I have
found in several cases is that a MIDI server process occasionally launches and chews up an entire core's worth of power. I've seen a number of issues under Pro Tools (eventually forcing me to delete the offending service) as well as under Logic. I have absolutely no idea why this is, especially since none of our plugins currently receive or generate MIDI. I've found many references to this on the web, with no obvious solutions.
So for anyone who believes they may be experiencing this, do launch 'Applications Monitor' and look at the relative process loads. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a solution, I've sometimes found that killing the MIDI server process will cause it to relaunch as a more considerate citizen.