Lexicon PCM Native Plugins: Lion and 64 bit
New Reply
Subscribe
dio
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
dio
Gear addict

The lexicon web admins are obviously caught by surprise there. I am sure they would perform great in sites like BBC or CNN with continue flow of information. In static sites like Lexicon when we see an update every 2-3 years they obviously forgot how to handle it properly.

Michael Carnes
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
Sorry... so does this mean that the lexicon reverbs work in Lion now? This thread seems to be suggesting they do, but on the compatibility chart on lexicons site Lion hasn't been added.
Yes. PCM Reverb, PCM FX, and LXP Reverb are all 64-bit AND Lion compatible.
Michael Carnes
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
Nobody Special,

In the Lex download area for the PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle:

Clicking on the PCMNativeReverb_Plug-in-Mac.zip Installer link for the PCM Native Mac Build v1.1.3 for PowerPC, downloads the LXPNativeReverb_Plug-in-Mac_Intel Installer!
I'll point that out to the web manager.

I will take the opportunity to point out that there has been no update of the PowerPC code and there won't be one. The plan had originally been to bump a few things in the PowerPC code, but after several painful weeks, we decided it wasn't worth the bother. There were so many changes that we had to build conditionally that it turned the code into a mess. So the PowerPC code is what it has been.

I know there are a few PowerPC users out there who will be incensed at that, but the platform has been obsolete for over five years. We have a small group dedicated to plugin work and maintaining PowerPC code takes more work than we have resources. The plugs still do what they did before on PowerPC. I just retired a perfectly good G4 laptop, so I know how it feels. We continue to support the heart of the Mac product line (as just exemplified by our no-charge update), but the heart of the line has long-since moved to Intel.
Michael Carnes
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
However, update is causing CPU spikes and errors in Pro Tools that were not there in the previous version. CPU meter acting erratic and playback or recording impossible.
We spent considerable--and I mean considerable--time chasing reports of "CPU Spikes". We have not found anything attributable to our plugins. We've added many testers and set up a large number of test systems, but have not found anything. The CPU load of the new plugin builds is quite even, modulating by only a few percent.

What I have found in several cases is that a MIDI server process occasionally launches and chews up an entire core's worth of power. I've seen a number of issues under Pro Tools (eventually forcing me to delete the offending service) as well as under Logic. I have absolutely no idea why this is, especially since none of our plugins currently receive or generate MIDI. I've found many references to this on the web, with no obvious solutions.

So for anyone who believes they may be experiencing this, do launch 'Applications Monitor' and look at the relative process loads. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a solution, I've sometimes found that killing the MIDI server process will cause it to relaunch as a more considerate citizen.

NS
Michael Carnes
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
Whats the word on the hardware pcm96 integration with PT axx?
the unit is working great with PT 9.05 now
Do you mean Firewire streaming? I believe our sales group has been pretty clear in saying that "Snow Leopard" would be the last version of OSX where we support it. If it works for you now, count yourself lucky.

There will be zero support for FW streaming under AAX. As far as control-only, we haven't discussed it, but I will bring the subject up next time we have a group meeting.

NS
Michael Carnes
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
You guys still have the LXP Plugs listed in the "Other" category in Pro Tools. What's the deal??? I reported this many times!
Yep, you've reported it and we've looked into it. We've had more pressing issues to deal with. Your request remains on the queue and we'll look at it when it rises to the top. You do have a preference in PT where you can list plugins by manufacturer. Have you tried that?
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
We spent considerable--and I mean considerable--time chasing reports of "CPU Spikes". We have not found anything attributable to our plugins. We've added many testers and set up a large number of test systems, but have not found anything. The CPU load of the new plugin builds is quite even, modulating by only a few percent.

What I have found in several cases is that a MIDI server process occasionally launches and chews up an entire core's worth of power. I've seen a number of issues under Pro Tools (eventually forcing me to delete the offending service) as well as under Logic. I have absolutely no idea why this is, especially since none of our plugins currently receive or generate MIDI. I've found many references to this on the web, with no obvious solutions.

So for anyone who believes they may be experiencing this, do launch 'Applications Monitor' and look at the relative process loads. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a solution, I've sometimes found that killing the MIDI server process will cause it to relaunch as a more considerate citizen.

NS
I am not a programmer so please take my question with a grain of salt....

BUT....is it possible the MIDI server is somehow tied to the tempo clock for the application? I ask because it seems the spikes occur more readily on the presets that have delay lines tied to session tempo....

Could the plugin be sending a tempo query that is somehow getting interfered with?

Also,... FYI ...I noticed the spikes occur more readily if the plugin window is open.

Forgive my ignorance on how the internals work...just trying to be helpful.
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
Yep, you've reported it and we've looked into it. We've had more pressing issues to deal with. Your request remains on the queue and we'll look at it when it rises to the top. You do have a preference in PT where you can list plugins by manufacturer. Have you tried that?
First off, thanks for replying! I felt like wood here for a while! ; ) Yes, that's how I have it set up (list plugins by manufacturer). I look 4ward to the fix!

I see that the updates are listed as "Release Candidates". Does this mean that they are BETA releases?

All the best,
~Iz
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

I have experienced some problems with the update.
The plug-ins repeatedly produce glitches when opening the plug-in windows when the sequencer is running. Sounds like a buffer override.
I also experienced some (seemingly random) dropouts.

This behaviour is new, I did not have it with the previous version. I am running the latest versions of both Logic Pro 9 and OS X Lion.
www.hannesbieger.com
http://www.facebook.com/hannesbieger

Check out my monthly photo report series "Studio File" in Sound On Sound!
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
However, update is causing CPU spikes and errors in Pro Tools that were not there in the previous version. CPU meter acting erratic and playback or recording impossible.
Does this also happen when the plug-in's GUI is closed?

(EDIT: just read your second post, okay, same here)

Last edited by cowudders; 4th November 2011 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: later ..
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Gear maniac

CPU spikes here too. Can't be positive, but it seems somehow related to the PCM Native plugins. Definitely when the GUI is up and the sliders are manipulated by mouse, "sketchiness" happens, and sometimes a "running out of CPU power" warning pops up and playback stops. This is not a lot, and not when doing nothing with the plug-ins... but a little annoying if when I actually have to manipulate them they keep crashing (although not a lot right now... yet once is still too much).
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to andivax Send a message via MSN to andivax

www.ANDIVAXMASTERING.com - 50% discount

8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda View Post
CPU spikes here too. Can't be positive, but it seems somehow related to the PCM Native plugins. Definitely when the GUI is up and the sliders are manipulated by mouse, "sketchiness" happens, and sometimes a "running out of CPU power" warning pops up and playback stops. This is not a lot, and not when doing nothing with the plug-ins... but a little annoying if when I actually have to manipulate them they keep crashing (although not a lot right now... yet once is still too much).
I have submitted my experience / issues with the latest version through Lexicon's Customer Service / Support page.

I encourage anyone having similar problems to do the same.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear maniac

It's hard for me to go through the "prescribed" route, given:
a) the death of the PCM96 control software, even though I tried my best to submit problems AND I was on the beta-test list for one of the releases (a really GOOD experience, actually)
b) the timeline of the current versions' "fixes", from submission to "cure"
c) the introduced "glitchiness" of the current version vs the old version.

If they were as responsive as they can be - as they were during my beta testing experience - I'd submit any old glitch with the expectation that I'd be taken care of in some sort of reasonable time frame. As it stands now, I'll just "try" to use it... but if I can't, I'll use something else, because I won't wait months for bug fixing.

Am I bitter? Yes. Admittedly so. Especially when contrasting the service level of other "pro" companies.

Is it justifiable to be bitter? I think so. Others may disagree, but I think so.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear nut

Can anyone confirm whether the Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Bundle Lion update works on Mac? Which version have you installed? The site is useless. Does not provide any information about whether the latest version is Lion compatible etc...
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear maniac

Just chiming in to say the PCM Native Reverb update is working great for me so far. 64-bit on Cubase Mac. Way, way better performance than over the bridge. Now that my samplers (Kontakt and G-Player) plus my verb is 64-bit, its like I just got a new computer...thanks Lexicon!
mfx
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
mfx
Lives for gear

Scratch the post. Just realised what Lexicon mean. The LXP bundle works on Windows7 but is not actually 64bit. Teach me to get up early, read gearslutz and start searching for something that's not there.

Any news when we will see LXP bundle on Windows x64 native. Both Cubase Bridge and jBridge seem to have issues with these.

Thanks

Last edited by mfx; 9th November 2011 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Early morning caffeine plonker post revised :)
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotpriest View Post
Just chiming in to say the PCM Native Reverb update is working great for me so far. 64-bit on Cubase Mac. Way, way better performance than over the bridge. Now that my samplers (Kontakt and G-Player) plus my verb is 64-bit, its like I just got a new computer...thanks Lexicon!
Good to hear that.. Are you using v1.2.13?
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear nut

PCM Native working well here as well - Logic 64-bit

(Snow Leopard at the moment but soon to be Lion)
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

Got PCM native bundle in today. I tried it with version 1.1.3 (which luckily came with the box) but downloaded the newest version. Getting nothing but buffer underrun errors at 512 samples buffer still, in Protools HD9on osx 10.6.8

Could run the plugins at 64 samples buffer with the previous version.
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Just a heads up of caution to anyone who may be considering installing the update and is under a deadline.....

For my system, my configuration....the update is unusable. I am running Pro Tools 9.0.3 on a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.7 and 8gb RAM. I downloaded the update specifically hoping they fixed the settings recall bug mentioned earlier in this thread.

I tested this both in existing projects and in fresh projects with the Lexicon PCM Native Reverb as the only plugin.

During installation I did all the normal precautions...uninstalled the previous version, deleted all Pro Tools Prefs. Additionally, as a matter of habit I always zap PRAM and repair permissions after every software install.

I will of course submit this to customer service...but for now, I am stuck using the previous (BUGGY) version of the plugin.

After uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the previous version, system is stable again.

I have not tested the new plugin version in any host other than Pro Tools 9.

Best of luck everyone.
Ah I just read your post, you exactly describe the same problem I have with the newest software version of PCM Reverb, also that it changes from unusable to extremely unusable when the plugin window is open.

1.1.3. works fine. I'm on a MacPro 3,1 8-core 3,2GHz, with OSX 10.6.8. protools 9.0.5.

Anyone successfully using the 1.2. ... version under Lion with Protools 10? As that is what I'll be upgrading to..
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm getting CPU Spikes with the LXP Bundle as well!

MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 RPM, Lion 10.7.2

Pro Tools 10 (10.0.0)

Logic Studio: Logic Pro (9.1.5), MainStage (2.1.3), Soundtrack Pro (3.0.1), WaveBurner (1.6.1)
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

Mm ok, doesn't sound like it's safe to upgrade to Lion then. Little pitty though. Hope they'll fix it soon.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lematrix Send a message via Skype™ to lematrix
Thanks NS and the Rest of the Team for the new Version.
Works here under Lion and Logic ;-)
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear interested

Ok, sounds like the version 1.2 plugin works great on any DAW, except for protools. Anyone at lexicon looking into this? Already sent in the support form through the website
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Gear addict

So when is the windows version comming?
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to andivax Send a message via MSN to andivax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhama View Post
So when is the windows version comming?
+1. cubase x64 pc + jbridge is ANNOYIING!!!!!
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Gear nut

Hmmmm. I take back my earlier comment about all working well.

Having now used the 64-bit Lexicon PCM plug-ins in Logic a lot, I am experiencing some crashes that didn’t happen before i upgraded.

This morning I was working on a project, had been for about an hour. All I did was to try to add a Lexicon plug-in and Logic crashed.

This was JUST while trying to insert the plug-in

I have reported it to Lexicon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lexicon error.jpg (36.0 KB, 265 views)
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Gear maniac

I'm on PTHD 10 with a fresh install of OSX Lion and am experiencing lots of instability with the Lexicon PCM plugins. The CPU could be below 20% on my new 6 Core Mac Pro, and I'm still constantly getting -9094 errors. Hopefully, Lexicon is aware of the problem and is currently working on a fix for PT users.

Last edited by drumster; 21st November 2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: typo
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Just bumping this thread in case NobodySpecial cares to give us an update?

....a thirty second "yep...got it...we're working on the fix..." would do wonders for morale.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search