New Reply
Subscribe
joachimvw
9th March 2006
Old 9th March 2006
Gear interested

make low end mono plug in

hi,

I'm looking for a plug-in who can make the low end of a track mono and keep the high stereo. For use on those too big electro bass sounds.

Joachim,
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Banned

10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2138.html

there's another one i have at my pc at home (i'm out of state right now) which i think is free and does the same thing, can't remember who makes it right now, or the name of it, sorry.. i'll check when i get home
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Gear addict

Just bumping this post. Interested in getting a plug like this too. Anyone know of anything cool hit the market since this post was first written?
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Gear addict

PS, I'm on mac. Saw a few plugs that could do this, but they were all for PC..
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Audio Alchemist

Sonalksis StereoTools can do this (Mac and PC). Sounds great too.
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008

My DrMS plugin does this too (and much more ).
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Gear addict

The NuGen one is for OSX as well as Windows
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Nugen has the monofilter, I have it and it definitely works. Ozone has a filter that does this and other modules that are pretty great. Ozone has a stereo widener that can go into negative numbers to actually make them more mono. I guess Ozone can give you degrees of "mononess" but I've never tested to how well it works. I've attached the best pics I could find at the moment. Those are the two that I have...

If you get me a file like the ones you are talking about with some big bottom I will run it through both of the ones I have and I will post the results for everybody. I will try and do a couple of different settings but try and keep them as same as possible. The biggest problem I would watch for would be a sort of "Phasey" or possibly a hollowness to the sound but I'm interested in helping. Maybe we can make some guidelines and have some of the others run the same file with similar settings and post also. PM me if interested. Give Peace a Chance...
cam
Attached Thumbnails
make low end mono plug in-monofilter3.jpg   make low end mono plug in-oz3widener.gif  
24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

24th October 2008
Old 24th October 2008
Gear addict

otiumfx plugs are PC only, but basslane certainly does the job. On a side note, the other otiumFX plugins are quite tasty... good value too.
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear interested

Try This

In your final mix, make a duplicate track. In the first you aplly a lowpass. As you monitor the results tweek till you isolate all hi´s, leaving a fairly noticeable low mid. Mono this track.
After that, in the second track you apply a hipass. Tweek till you get the lows rolled off. Play with the mids, to get´em attenuated or boosted.
Bingo, that´s how they do it in mastering for vinyl.

Last edited by salsa_muffin; 14th June 2012 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: missed information
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear interested

Oh, by the way. Don´t forget to mix it all together again. ehe.
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear Head

GVST makes a couple.

GStereo is prob what you're after, and GMulti is a good multi-band comp with stereo width for each band.

GVST
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear Head

Agree with Salsa Muffin.. You really don't need a plugin to achieve your goal. Plus, you'll save yourself from running into phase issues that come up when you use widening tools. On your stereo "hi-end" tracks you could eq your left and right channels separately to make them sound a bit wider.
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloqwyse View Post
Agree with Salsa Muffin.. You really don't need a plugin to achieve your goal. Plus, you'll save yourself from running into phase issues that come up when you use widening tools. On your stereo "hi-end" tracks you could eq your left and right channels separately to make them sound a bit wider.
Your going to hi-Pass and low-pass filter a song and make stuff mono and leave other stuff stereo and then say be careful with stereo plugins because of phase shift?!!!

Everyday I go on this forum I shake my head and wonder????

PrimatCity TV interviews....

with Chali 2na
P.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie3to1r5scI
P.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=018G_agtqQA

with Pharoahe Monch
P.3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8F6MRiCuiY

Plus Spliff Star, Cunninlynguist, Smiff-n-Wessun and many more.... Check it out today!!!
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Gear interested

Phase Shift

Phase shift in middle to hi frequencies are common in music. In fact lots of effects and the stereo image by its own apply some sort of shifting. That´s how the human ear perceive changes in position. The stereo image is no more than that, fooling the brain so you think the whole sound is comming from various positions, giving the impression of space. The classic phaser effect is pure phase shifting, and not necessary is ugly, only if you abuse it.
Low frequencies are different. The brain and the auditory aparatus don´t translate low frequencies as well as mids and hi´s. It just doesn´t get where the sound is comming from. It keeps trying to find and give up confusing the whole cortex. That´s why phase shifts in low frequencies are more prone to feel as poor weak and confusing bass and lows.
As the spectrum falls ito deep low frequencies, one should eliminate any phase shifting left, in order to achieve a comercial master that plays well in most stereo players.
I am right? Or just too damn stupid?

Last edited by salsa_muffin; 15th June 2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: missing information
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Gear interested

It is a practice performed by master engineers to focus all the energy in low frequencies by making all drivers work together in the system achieving optimal energy in low frequencies.
15th June 2012
Old 15th June 2012
Gear addict

Never tried this but the three posts above mine make a lot of sense to me. I was thinking that EQ would be easy enough too but mista mins post made me facepalm (myself). However, a linear phase EQ would make that safe, right?
16th June 2012
Old 16th June 2012
Gear interested

Yes

And all the low and hi pass gymnastics could be done with a good Linear Phase EQ plugin, couldn´t they?
Am i missing the whole thing here? Oh men, i hope i can learn something. See i´m totally newbie. All i know is information from the internet and some self experiences.
16th June 2012
Old 16th June 2012
Gear interested

Brainworx Control is great for this! the "Mono Maker" knob does exactly what you're looking for.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search