What laptop can compete (win?) in proformane against macbook pro?
Old 22nd June 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
What laptop can compete (win?) in proformane against macbook pro?

For live shows (running omnisphere) and portable studio...
Old 22nd June 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

The one with a faster CPU.
Old 22nd June 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 

if you mean processor speed and general specs then same for same
an Apple is a PC with a different OS (meaning they use the same hardware)

so 2.0GHz -2.3GHz sandy Quad Mobile vs same
8gig vs same
7200 hdd vs same

the issue comes down to what interface. most new off the shelf windows laptops firewire interface is completely out
a good 1/2 of them wont do well with USB either.

Scott
ADK
Old 22nd June 2011
  #4
Gear addict
 
daaronhoffman's Avatar
 

I own a ADK laptop that screams...great company and service!
Old 22nd June 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
so 2.0GHz -2.3GHz sandy Quad Mobile vs same
...
a good 1/2 of them wont do well with USB either.
Though any Sandy Bridge (Series 6) based laptop should be just as fine as the Macbook, because USB ports are directly connected to the chipset.
Old 22nd June 2011
  #6
Gear addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Don't know about others but I used a 2010 MBP with ensemble/main stage as my mixer for live sound for years without a single glitch.
Old 22nd June 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
Don't know about others but I used a 2010 MBP with ensemble/main stage as my mixer for live sound for years without a single glitch.
I can't help but note that there is no way it could have been more than 1.6 "years"

2010 was last year dude...
Old 22nd June 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
The one with a faster CPU.
Well ,all i know its an i7 2.3 in the mac book pro but i dont know the cpu model...


Im looking for a good i7-2820QM.
Old 22nd June 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
Not sure I would agree with that statement.
It's just a matter of understanding specs and knowing what to shop for.
There's a huge number of Win7 notebooks with USB3 support...which is not-native to the Intel chipsets and thus using 3rd party chipsets and connections to the system bus that may not play well with others. If the OP knew what to shop for he'd probably not have asked btw
Old 22nd June 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
Well ,all i know its an i7 2.3 in the mac book pro but i dont know the cpu model...


Im looking for a good i7-2820QM.
one and the same the 2.3 in the macbook pro is the 2820QM.
Old 22nd June 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
Though any Sandy Bridge (Series 6) based laptop should be just as fine as the Macbook, because USB ports are directly connected to the chipset.
as they were with last gen and the previous and the one before that etc.

you of all people should know all to well that taming DPC is no small feat.
its not if the interface will work its if DPC can be tamed..


something Azriel_7 seems to not understand

Scott
ADK
Old 23rd June 2011
  #12
Gear addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
I can't help but note that there is no way it could have been more than 1.6 "years"

2010 was last year dude...
Got mine from the factory before they officially hit the stores. I think it was late 2009.
News flash! My wife informed me that my MBP is a 2009. For those of you concerned NTL it worked great without a single glitch.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
you of all people should know all to well that taming DPC is no small feat.
its not if the interface will work its if DPC can be tamed..
Thought you were only talking about USB connection and chipset stuff. DPCs surely is a whole different thing, as are CPU power-saving features.

BTW, I seem to have come up with a nice combination of my own custom power-profile + Throttlestop that keeps the i7 Quad (all cores) at a constant clock-rate (as long as temp doesn't force it to be lowered) and Core Parking off on my bootcamped MBP.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #14
Gear nut
 
spacebass's Avatar
 

"you of all people should know all to well that taming DPC is no small feat.
its not if the interface will work its if DPC can be tamed."

scott is right on with this one!
i have had several clients go with ADK and EVERYONE was more than impressed.
my last laptop was a bit of an ordeal but it wasn't their fault, everything got worked out and i couldn't be happier!!

those kids at ADK really do know what they are doing...but that's just my 2 cents.

forrest
Old 23rd June 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
one and the same the 2.3 in the macbook pro is the 2820QM.
Cool,may i asked where (link?) can one find this info?
Old 23rd June 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Maybe you can help me...

Im looking for a lap top recommendation with these specs in a lap top.

15"
256 sshd (and maybe another 500 7200rps HD).
Intel i7-2920XM (extreme)
16gb (or 32 gb) of 1600mhz memory
Dont care about graphics...but it has to be HD.
Blue ray.

Now i know alienware by dell,but i dont need 18" screen ןאד too heavy.
What im trying to do here is to actually create a computer that wil cost as much as a macbook pro i7 2.3 256ssd 8gb
But will be more powerful...
Old 23rd June 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 



It's always the same decision for laptops:

a) buy from a dedicated audio PC builder
b) get a Macbook
c) try your luck with the myriads of PC laptops out there, knowing that probably no other audio user is using the same config.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 

google "Pro audio laptop"


Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
Maybe you can help me...

Im looking for a lap top recommendation with these specs in a lap top.

15"
256 sshd (and maybe another 500 7200rps HD).
Intel i7-2920XM (extreme)
16gb (or 32 gb) of 1600mhz memory
Dont care about graphics...but it has to be HD.
Blue ray.

Now i know alienware by dell,but i dont need 18" screen ןאד too heavy.
What im trying to do here is to actually create a computer that wil cost as much as a macbook pro i7 2.3 256ssd 8gb
But will be more powerful...
Old 23rd June 2011
  #19
Lol! Just did.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #20
Gear maniac
 
58lespaul's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
It's always the same decision for laptops:

a) buy from a dedicated audio PC builder
b) get a Macbook
c) try your luck with the myriads of PC laptops out there, knowing that probably no other audio user is using the same config.


That really is what it comes down to. We should make these three points a sticky.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #21
Banned
 

What laptop can compete (win?) in proformane against macbook pro?

Most w7 laptops perform better than there mac couterparts when you remove all the bloatware. And now with more options than ever for usb2.0 sound cards it's seems unnessecary to get mac or adk for FireWire.

Asus is the highest rated commercial manufaturer so u should check out their line. With the money u'll save by not buying a high end mac or adk lptp u can get a brand spanking new rme babyface for low latency and great portability (look up reviews, people are getting great results with the combination of w7 laptops and babyface).
Old 23rd June 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

That would be option c) then.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #23
Banned
 

What laptop can compete (win?) in proformane against macbook pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur
That would be option c) then.
Yeah I think if ur strapped for cash or are more a hobbyist than a professional it's the best option. If money was not limiting I would go with ADK just cuz they have good tach support (supposevly i cant verify) They do charge a shit ton for the specs they offer. Why not price competitively for the hobbyist crowd. Last time I checked they don't offer any i7 products for under 1k US. And since audio interfaces are plug and play nowadays with a majority USB 2.0 it seems like a no brainer.

My laptop is a 2009/2010 Sony vaio i7 and it works awesome. And my desktop is an i7 ASUS that has been flawless. But then again I'm not a professional and don't require some crazy ass setup.

In my personal experience commercial w7 laptops aren't nearly as unreliable as option c makes them seem.
Old 23rd June 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
thinkpad t410 with i7 640m here - rock solid and v fast. latency about 4.5.
tried a MB pro a while back and found that i am so PC-oriented (ie, i know how to solve problems on windows), that i just could not figure out how to solve even little problems on a mac. v frustrating...
Old 23rd June 2011
  #25
Banned
 

You could buy an 11 Mac and run windows on it. Some users prefer this approach, citing how well w7 runs on it.
Old 25th June 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I was looking at alienware they have that i7 extreme processor but dear lord...a 4700$ laptop...
Old 25th June 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
The fastest mac book pro is $2500 2.2Ghz Quad-core
The fastest Imac is $2000 3.1Ghz Quad-core
The fastest Mac Pro $5000 12 Core 2.66GHZ

Thus the best Mac Book Pro is still less powerful than an IMAC. and the Mac PRO is a class all on its own.

But I can't get a PC laptop cos I use Logic Studio. So basically, makes the choice simple.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 25th June 2011
  #28
Gear maniac
 

Stability is also an issue if your going to work live.

And for stability, Macs have the lead by far. I would just install windows on my MBP or my iMac if I absolutely needed it for some obscure reason.
Old 26th June 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
mikymike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Stability is also an issue if your going to work live.

And for stability, Macs have the lead by far. I would just install windows on my MBP or my iMac if I absolutely needed it for some obscure reason.
Complete and utter BS
Old 26th June 2011
  #30
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Stability is also an issue if your going to work live.

And for stability, Macs have the lead by far.
Typical fanboi statement you can't back with anything more than "because I said so"...

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sonare / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
14
DavidKmusic / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
12
coffeeanan / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
22

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.