Live issues, do i need an A.I.?
Renato Qu
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Head

Live issues, do i need an A.I.?

Hi, ableton's been crashing on me like crazy recently. Anytime i try add more than few instances of a VST, it's down for the count. It basically starts clicking and hissing, CPU usage gets to around 64% and while i can still save, audio dies. Now I'm running it on a brand new MacBook Pro with the Intel Core i7 so that makes me sad...

One thing i did notice is that if i jump from my crashed Live to lets say a video player, the audio in the video player is also dead. Is it my soundcard that's the problem? sounds like it. Can anyone else hazard a guess?

So based on my assumption I thought I might get a audio interface. The Tascam US122 MKII seems ok. Any thoughts?

Thanks
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

yeah ableton does start spazzing out when you get past 60/70% having a proper audio interface will take a bit of strain off the computer, firewire will take more strain off the cpu than a usb interface not sure if you have a firewire plug though on the MBP.

what speed hard drive do you have? you need 7200rpm for audio work. also are you on the latest update of ableton?
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear addict

I second the HD question. I had that problem when trying to run on the internal 5400rpm drive on a macbook which I don't normally do. Use another dedicated drive (i.e. not the OS drive) or upgrade your hard drive to 7200rpm. A 7200 drive allowed to run the OS and large sessions with no problems. I use Live a lot and it doesn't give out on me until after 95% CPU useage, then it sounds like stuttering death.
Renato Qu
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Head

thanks for the feedback. i think i might just lash out and buy an SSD. remove the useless dvd drive and pop it in there... Having done a bit of pocking around the interweb, it seems the 7200rpm doesn't get that much faster, and in some cases, performs slower!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search