Originally Posted by zephonic
If you are to go for a MacPro refurb, it would be wise to pay a little extra for the 2010 model (GBP1735). The difference is GBP51 and you get a much better graphics card for that. If expansion means nothing to you, get the iMac.
If the choice is between refurb and eBay: anytime, refurb
. At least if you need it for your work and don't want to gamble.
Mac Pro or iMac: when
) the screen of the iMac fails, you'll kick yourself for not having gone the route of separates: computer and monitor in separate boxes. Again, provided you need the Mac for work.
Waiting for updated models: rumours of model updates are persistent.
Have been so for some time. The big question is whether the new hardware will be made available before OS X Lion, or with it
. Based on precedent, it seems more likely that the hardware update will be used to push the Lion installed basis. Great if you're a newbie starting from scratch. Not so great if you have previous software and hardware that you need to use in conjunction with your new Mac. If it was me, I'd eschew playing Guinea pig and go for a recent, refurb model with Snow Leopard
, letting the others iron out the inevitable wrinkles of the brand-new system and upgrading to Lion only when compatibility with present software and hardware is assured — or relevant updates available. The upgrade cost to Lion is nominal.