Login / Register
 
Vienna Instruments: Symphonic Cube
New Reply
Subscribe
pingu
Thread Starter
#1
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
pingu is offline
Vienna Instruments: Symphonic Cube

This looks very promising.

I like the thought of whats gone in to the

Vienna Instrument plugin.
#2
4th March 2006
Old 4th March 2006
  #2
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 490

AnalogBob is offline
Looks cool the price,--------- eeeeekkkk..
#3
5th March 2006
Old 5th March 2006
  #3
Gear maniac
 
jacobq's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 158

jacobq is offline
#4
7th March 2006
Old 7th March 2006
  #4
Gear maniac
 
roughly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Chi-town, a BlueState
Posts: 215

roughly is offline
can't wait can't wait can't wait
#5
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
  #5
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 490

AnalogBob is offline
Prepare to open your wallet.........
#6
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
  #6
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,393

natpub is online now
wow, looks like a great concept, hope it works as described---yeah, that final price on the full library is literally painful to look at, hahah
__________________
Sonic Sorcery Productions
Austin, Texas
#7
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
  #7
Gear addict
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 376

borau is offline
Listened to the demos at the site.

I am the only one NOT impressed?

How far back hidden behind hip hop beats or on-screen dialogue has this stuff got to be, before anyone or her mother mistakes this for the real thing?
theother
#8
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
  #8
theother
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
I am the only one NOT impressed?

How far back hidden behind hip hop beats or on-screen dialogue has this stuff got to be, before anyone or her mother mistakes this for the real thing?
Yeah you are!

No one is making a claim here it's the real thing. But it's a s good as it get for a computer!
pingu
Thread Starter
#9
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
pingu is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
Listened to the demos at the site.

I am the only one NOT impressed?

How far back hidden behind hip hop beats or on-screen dialogue has this stuff got to be, before anyone or her mother mistakes this for the real thing?


There is no way you are going to sound like
Paganini on any of the single note performances but you can definately create some authentic sounding atmospheres pads and layers shit like that.
#10
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
  #10
Gear maniac
 
wolfhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 231

wolfhound is offline
The number one thing in making something sound like a realy orchestra, is being able to WRITE FOR ORCHESTRA. If you don't know what you're doing it's always gonna sound fake.....if you know your stuff then a library like this can really help take you a lot closer....and hopefully enhance the workflow....

The only prob I see with this is that you need to have multiple dongles to split the libraries over multiple machines....for those of us with several Gigastudio machines this is gonna be a bit of a change in our methods.
#11
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 695

strauss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound
The only prob I see with this is that you need to have multiple dongles to split the libraries over multiple machines....for those of us with several Gigastudio machines this is gonna be a bit of a change in our methods.
These are plugins, not Giga programs.
This way the 'performance tool' is integrated and you don't have the 'memory problems' Giga have.
#12
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #12
Gear maniac
 
wolfhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 231

wolfhound is offline
I know, I just meant that if you check out the way these things are authorized you'll read that can't have one instrument authorized on more than one computer at a time....based on the price this product is obviously geared towards the pro user who is probably currently running multiple Giga-dedicated PCs and able to quickly grab from all his sounds at any time. With this product you're gonna have to say PC #1 is strings, PC 2 is Winds, PC 3 brass, harp, etc....and you have to spread it all out over different dongles.

I'm still getting it, it's just a bit of a drag that's all.
#13
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
littledoodler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Beezers' Nook
Posts: 839

littledoodler is offline
these violins seem worlds better than the last ones they used...
pingu
Thread Starter
#14
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
pingu is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound
I know, I just meant that if you check out the way these things are authorized you'll read that can't have one instrument authorized on more than one computer at a time....based on the price this product is obviously geared towards the pro user who is probably currently running multiple Giga-dedicated PCs and able to quickly grab from all his sounds at any time. With this product you're gonna have to say PC #1 is strings, PC 2 is Winds, PC 3 brass, harp, etc....and you have to spread it all out over different dongles.

I'm still getting it, it's just a bit of a drag that's all.


Is this correct.

you can not have more than one set of instruments installed on one computer at the same time.

Thats pretty stupid if thats the case.
#15
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #15
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 490

AnalogBob is offline
Judging by the price they have backed themseves into a very small nich and not too many people would spend that much on software, that will be be out of date in three years, and it is not that much $XXXXX better than other software libraries. If I had that kind of budget I'd fly to Russia a bunch of times and hire an ORCH and stll have money left over.
#16
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
kosi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,029

kosi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBob
Judging by the price they have backed themseves into a very small nich and not too many people would spend that much on software, that will be be out of date in three years, and it is not that much $XXXXX better than other software libraries. If I had that kind of budget I'd fly to Russia a bunch of times and hire an ORCH and stll have money left over.
Which Orchestra records for 10k "a bunch of times" ? (ahem flight, catering, orchestrator etc) And then still money left over !!! GREAT
I'd really like to know .
#17
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
  #17
Gear maniac
 
wolfhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 231

wolfhound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
Is this correct.

you can not have more than one set of instruments installed on one computer at the same time.

Thats pretty stupid if thats the case.
Read all about it:

http://www.ilio.com/vienna/instruments/vkey.html
pingu
Thread Starter
#18
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
pingu is offline
#19
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 3,125

Ruudman is offline
As for me, I can't wait for eSessions Orchestra Service



ruudman
#20
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
  #20
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 490

AnalogBob is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi
Which Orchestra records for 10k "a bunch of times" ? (ahem flight, catering, orchestrator etc) And then still money left over !!! GREAT
I'd really like to know .
I was just being cheeky...forgot to add a wink..the point I was trying to make was that If I had the kind of budget to buy the full blown VSL for a project I would not be much of a stretch to hire a orchestra..and probably they would put in the extra.
#21
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
  #21
Gear maniac
 
wolfhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 231

wolfhound is offline
Hahah, I was also gonna ask which orchestra that was!!

I agree that no one's gonna buy it for one project....but for those of us who are churning out orchestral stuff all day every day, one project will pay for it and then you're good to go....and of course you don't HAVE to buy the whole library....the strings are 1100 for the standard library. The studio time alone for a real string section would be more than that.

But I do kind of wish they'd done the new features using the new midi tools in Giga 3.1 though....like Sonic Implants did. Now I'm gonna have to mix and match giga and some sort of vst host or something.....
ILL
#22
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
  #22
ILL
Gear maniac
 
ILL's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 251

ILL is offline
How good are the Sonic Implants Strings ? I'm looking for something to replace the strings from colossus i use right now.
#23
13th March 2006
Old 13th March 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,319

Ziggy!! is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound
based on the price this product is obviously geared towards the pro user who is probably currently running multiple Giga-dedicated PCs


wwwhhat? Given everything that is offered i'd say this is geared towards anyone other than a pro user with multiple giga machines.
#24
13th March 2006
Old 13th March 2006
  #24
Gear maniac
 
wolfhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 231

wolfhound is offline
I'm not sure I get you Ziggy...are you commenting on the giga remark, or the pro thing? This new complete library is coming in at over double the price of the orginal vsl pro edition vsl, 3x sonic implants, and 5x east-west platinum.....who's it for then? To rival all those options I'd say they're trying to solidify the pro market....but god knows I don't get out much....or are you saying the opposite completely? (ie you're not impressed by the price or features?)

fwiw....I feel the sonic implants are the "best" sounding strings, but they don't have all the performance options as the VSL so it defintitely depends on the day....I think their (sonic implants) brass really out does the VSL, the woodwinds are pretty much equal in my opinion....but I love the VSL legato clarinet. The VSL percussion is way more interesting to me generally, but the SI timpani absolutely rock as do some of the pitched cymabl and gong programs......these new VSL solo strings seem very good from the demos....
#25
13th March 2006
Old 13th March 2006
  #25
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 139

guerillamixer is offline
I don't think they can justify charging so much for a VI interface. I know its
got new samples and articulations yada, yada, yada...

but as always the market will set the price.

Back when the VSL was launched, my partner bought VSL for screenwriting.
The only other person in town who bought it early was a specialist doctor.


With tascam bringing out a gigastudio VST/rtas instrument 'spring 2006' it
could get interesting. Different concept, but much less expensive at $499.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Agno / Music Computers
1
Ives / High end
1
jjohn031 / Music Computers
0
The Marrvel / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
5
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.