DBX 160X in the plug in land?
solidstate
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

DBX 160X in the plug in land?

Here it goes.. I've been thinking to get a couple of DBX 160X for my kick/snare drums. The truth is, i'm just being too lazy to go the OTB route nowadays.. I don't care all the mambo transformers-discrete-non-linearities jumbo of the ol' 160. I just want the snap the 160X is famous for

Tested so far:

- Sonnox dynamics(not bad but not a dbx 160 emu in my opinion)
- Major Tom.. Could not install this one for some reason. Input please!
- URS CSP pro has some 160x presets. Mmmmmm.. Not convinced!
- UA DBX 160 I don't have the card anymore.. this is the old model anyway!

Any other plug in that i should know of folks?? Some secret nebula program? How's major tom? did stillwell killed(in a good way of course) this too?
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

solidstate
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Hi! I didn't even about this one.. Unfortunaly I'm on an Mac/AU. Keep them coming.
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Have you tried the Softube Valley People Dynamite? I've heard it does the job very well but I don't know first hand.
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Stillwell Major Tom works fine over here. I definitely use it as a stand in for the dbx 163x and 160x sound I like.

The THD is definitely a bit different though, so the drums don't quite have as much impact as the real thing despite the smack, you might want to add a bit of saturation pre or post compression if you so desire.

Blockfish VST is also a great way to get the snap in VCA mode.

Peace
Illumination
solidstate
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Krstudio, no I haven't. Isn't supposed to emulate the valley ppl comp though?

Illacov, thanks for the feedback.so attack and release ate spot on MT?
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Yes it is an VP emu but they can be very similar on drums.
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Krstudio, no I haven't. Isn't supposed to emulate the valley ppl comp though?

Illacov, thanks for the feedback.so attack and release ate spot on MT?
Not a problem.

I think the attack and the release on Major Tom are close enough if not all the way there.

I think Blockfish is a wee bit faster than Major Tom but sounds a little different.

Major Tom nails the sound a bit better in terms of feel and on an overall level, while Blockfish seems to get the action a little better but doesn't have the sound of a dbx.

I have a real 2 channel Valley People Dyna-Mite (Blackface) and the plugin is good and sounds great but it works really different imho than the real thing.

I can get the VP to do some nice stuff on kick and snare, as well as drum buss but it doesn't sound like the dbx to me, the VP is much more colored and heavy. Mind you I love them all!

I use the hardware VP ALOT on spot mics on rock, like toms and occasionally snare.

For hip hop dbx is my first choice for kick and snare treatment. But its about the song too lol

Peace
Illumination
2nd June 2011
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear interested

9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Any other plug in that i should know of folks??
Don't forget the freebie Rough Rider by Audio Damage. I think that's a similar style to what you're looking for, but I haven't used it in a good while.

Take Care
DSK
9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Worth noting that the McDSP 6030 has a 160-based comp. I dig it.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Maybe this one will do the trick:

de la Mancha sixtyfive

+1

That is one of my favorite comps.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
+1

That is one of my favorite comps.
++ 1 for DLM, but the OP is Mac only, so the next best thing wld B the UAD2 version. As a UAD user I demoed it but I just stayed with the DLM65...it's only $15 fer cripes sakes. I run Macs for my profession but I love my W7 PC for the great dirt cheap VST plugs that are out there...love all these guys.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Music CrAZy

Funny that nobody mentioned the URS 1975. Compare it to the UAD dbx 160, it sounds just like it. But you need to know the attack and release settings since the URS gives you full control over both.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

If you have the time & patience you'll almost definitely be able to get that 160 sound out of DMG Compassion.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
If you have the time & patience you'll almost definitely be able to get that 160 sound out of DMG Compassion.
i agree...every time i use this thing i am blown away...infinite possibilities...
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Softube released the 160 in plugin land just today via NI Guitar Rig

VINTAGE COMPRESSORS : VC 160 | NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : PRODUCER : POWERED BY GUITAR RIG
I just heard the demos of this and was totally impressed with it , Sounded very punchy on the drums . I tried out the UAD version when it came out , But just stuck with my SSL stuff . I know what you mean by external effects as a bit of a tedious thing to use . Recall is a must . I wish manufactures would build their analogue with digital control with a VST plug in for control We have the technology ! lets do it !
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I just heard the demos of this and was totally impressed with it , Sounded very punchy on the drums . I tried out the UAD version when it came out , But just stuck with my SSL stuff . I know what you mean by external effects as a bit of a tedious thing to use . Recall is a must . I wish manufactures would build their analogue with digital control with a VST plug in for control We have the technology ! lets do it !
That would be cool, especially if they could use MIDI to recall the settings.
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
That would be cool, especially if they could use MIDI to recall the settings.
Back in the day we used to save settings of analog synths onto a dat tape, i think that's what we did. It would spit out some kinda code and there ya go...saved. I also used to control digital outboard effects units via midi with a controller. Hey, you can backup an entire SSL console, so this is doable.
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011

valley ppl dynamite plug.... its better than the 160x for that "fish slapped on plywood" sound... waves SSL channel can be fun too
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
I don't have a real 160 in the studio so I can't really give you that "that's it" advice..

but:

1) Another vote for McDSP 6030 and URS 1975. They aspire to that "thing" that the 160 has.
2) If you send me over a real 160 I can do more comparisons for you and be more precise
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

No contest..the best one is compressor 260 by yamaha / steinberg
ON THE MONEY......
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

you guyz would be surpirsed by what i did to match my dbx with the focusrite midnight comp , just crazy ....the NI / Softube is exellent as well as the 165a from sknote ...
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
valley ppl dynamite plug.... its better than the 160x for that "fish slapped on plywood" sound... waves SSL channel can be fun too
This one... in parr. compression... slap in your face snare.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear addict

Native Instruments VC 160 is great keep in mind ive never heard the hardware but its a damn good comp
13th January 2014
Old 13th January 2014
Gear interested

Wink food for thought

Try the SSL channel plugins....
One of the reasons the SSL was so loved for tracking drums was the DBX based dynamic section on each channel....
You get that slow self adjusting attack or fast attack in the compressor and gate/expander sections plus that SSL E or G grime if you want and the EQs to boot.
YES..if you pulled the channels you'll find DBX chips in the dynamics section and all over the cards in the mixer. DBX VCAs!!!!
The bus comp was a double VCA setup that has its own sound.

These usually feed my DBX need
13th January 2014
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

it's funny, because for a lot of "utility" compression, the Ableton stock one works fine for me with low footprint, but for color, the NI/Softube 160 is really good, and the Audio Damage Rough Rider I really like a lot as well,… it has lots of character and I think is overlooked. And i prefer to support and send people to Audio Damage as they take a lot of pride in what they do, aim to please the customer (money back no fuss guaranteed), and think outside of the box on a lot of stuff. So take that as it is, but I prefer to support the smaller guy, especially when their product is great.
13th January 2014
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
you guyz would be surpirsed by what i did to match my dbx with the focusrite midnight comp , just crazy ....the NI / Softube is exellent as well as the 165a from sknote ...
My sknote 165a causes low level hiss even when it's turned on and not passing audio. Anyone else getting this? It's low level, but enough to be easily aparent post mastering. I had to go back and replace it in a project I just finished. It's basically unusable...
13th January 2014
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

McDsp compressorbank all day
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search