Login / Register

running cubase WHILE running other programs: doable?
New Reply
Subscribe
joemail75
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear interested

running cubase WHILE running other programs: doable?

im curious if anyone has had experience with tracking in cubase AND operating another program at the same time. here's the deal: i wanna try and record a sermon into cubase for cd burning, but need to do it on the same computer that runs the powerpoint for the service. will running a small program like powerpoint be enough to screw with a session thats tracking simply two tracks? Im not doing anything within cubase except recording real-time during the preaching. will a 2.6 ghtz cpu handle both tasks? any experience welcome.

-joe
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to InsaneMixaken
its possible try release AISO driver in background
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemail75
im curious if anyone has had experience with tracking in cubase AND operating another program at the same time. here's the deal: i wanna try and record a sermon into cubase for cd burning, but need to do it on the same computer that runs the powerpoint for the service. will running a small program like powerpoint be enough to screw with a session thats tracking simply two tracks? Im not doing anything within cubase except recording real-time during the preaching. will a 2.6 ghtz cpu handle both tasks? any experience welcome.

-joe
I have the internet, email, Cubase and iTunes opened right now.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear nut

I'm able to keep other programs open but Cubase has to be the program that's on the screen or it doesn't playback or record. So if you need to switch to powerpoint while Cubase is recording I don't think that will work.
19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
Gear interested

Thats coz you need to release ASIO drivers in the background
19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

This shouldn't be a problem. Programs that randomly ping the proc cause issues mostly. In the process list you can can assigh high priority to Cubase and you should be fine. As long as you are just recording a track or two anyway..
19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKillerz
Thats coz you need to release ASIO drivers in the background
No, you need to NOT release ASIO drivers when Cubase is in the background.

Device Setup/VST AudioBay/Release ASIO Driver in Backround - uncheck the box.

I can see any reason why you can't use Powerpoint at the same time. Depends on the processor of course. Just test it first.
19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Jay Kahrs Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Kahrs
Maybe yes...maybe no.

I run SX3 & use that to feed the console with Sound Forge 8 open (on another set of ASIO drivers) to capture mixes and it's usually problem free put sometimes I'll get pops & clicks as the video updates. This is on a 2 gig P4...recording & playing back audio from a dedicated 200 gig internal drive.

Really, it's best to have a DAW setup & dedicated soley to audio duties. The more you've got going on the more problems you might encounter. My DAW doesn't see the internet EVER. It's strictly in it's own world so I won't have to risk something like anti-virus software popping up & crashing my rig in the middle of recording or mixing.

All you can do is try it & see how it all works out. Though given the cost of computers today you could probably dedicate a less-powerful computer to each task & be totally safe for the cost of one really killer CPU.
mooseaudio.bandcamp.com
Quote:
All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...
20th May 2006
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use Cubase SX3 for mixing and send the analog mix out my board into Adobe Audition using the Spectral Freqency view. I use two soundcards for this.

It's awesome. I can solo tracks on the mixer and see the spectral content in Audition. Solo kick and bass and I can easily see where they're overlapping. Use analog EQ and I can visually separate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemail75

-joe
20th May 2006
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Powerpoint doesen't necessarily need to be a 'small' program. If you are using large graphics and orchestrating movements it can take up quite a bit of CPU power. If you are using text than you are corrent it shouldn't take up many resources.

"I do use compressors/limiters but not for controlling dynamics, I use EQ for that!" Jp22 (damn I miss him)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -- Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

"I try to get a boom out of the bass drum, in one of my albums, my CD, boom, I try to get that big boom, I could not get a big boom, I paid bucks, and could not get the boom" - Recording Expert, Tad Donley
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search