New Reply
Subscribe
Crazyd943
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Windows alternative to Logic Pro 9

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some recording and arranging at home, on my laptop. I've been used to using Logic Pro 9 at college, and love it.

Basically, I'd like to know which DAW you guys would say was closest to Logic for Windows in terms of features, layout, ease of use etc.

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite, Intel core i3 @ 2.53ghz, 2BG RAM, Realtek hi-def audio.

Cheers.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear addict

PreSonus Studio One. Its very similar in many ways (imo).
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Head

I would have to say Cakewalk Sonar. I have been using it for the last 10 years and you can record vocals/guitars/ect in sonar as well as incorporate your vst's inside of it. It also comes with a great variety of instruments out the box as well as plugins
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

I'd also say Studio One Pro might be the closest I've seen. Though I prefer Logic to Studio One by a mile. But if you're stuck on PC not much you can do. Check out Studio One. They let you demo it so no loss if you don't like it.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Studio One or Reaper, but both are more limited in their current forms than Logic (because they're both much much more recent in terms of codebase but evolving quickly.)
Crazyd943
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Cheers guys!

I'll give Studio 1 a go then.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Studio One is not even in the same category as Sonar and Cubase. Pick among these two, both have pros and cons.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Head

Nuendo 4 rocks.. far more logical than logic.. quick work flow..I won't go back to apple...
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

For PC:

- Cubase
- Sonar
- Nuendo.

I would say Cubase or Sonar.

Roger
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Gear maniac

Why not Cubase 6?
TNM
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
TNM
Lives for gear

Sonar couldn't be more backwards and opposite to the way logic works...

Studio One may look like it but feels nothing like it either.

Reaper? I don't think so.

Believe it or not Cubase will get you closest to that german feel of logic.

But, there really is no substitute, and that't what always draws me back despite bugs etc, i learned on logic, and nothing else feels right even 20 years later.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sonar is nearly identical more than any windows app I can think of. Cubase would be next. The rest not so much.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I use Logic as my main daw but, if I were able to look into using another daw "full time" I'd seriously give Reaper a look. First off, you can try it for free and , assuming you like it, the cost of the license is very cheap. Secondly, it does things that neither Logic, DP or PT can do. Last but not least, it's cross platform. How do I know this? I'm a gigantic nerd and actually worked on learning Reaper for fun with the help of the tutorials over at groove3.com. I would say that, like Logic, there's a learning curve and using tutorials is very helpful if you want to get up to speed faster. Hopefully some of the other daws mentioned have demos available, although that's usually pretty rare. You could always spend $25 and just rent the vids at groove3.com and then watch some of the tutorials on Reaper, Sonar, Studio One and Cubase and see which daw looks the best for you. Best of luck.
Logic 10.0.6, DP 7.24, PT 10.3.7, Reaper 4x, Apogee Symphony, professional 4 room studio great for songwriters and producers.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

For that German feel, try Samplitude. I don't know Logic at all. How well you work in a given DAW is a function of paradigm ("this is what i am used to...") and look and feel. The truth is that most of the major players do most things pretty well, while each has it's strengths and weaknesses. But we all like what we like, and most of the likes and dislikes come down to look and feel rather than some missing function or failure.

Sonar is probably the best over-all, in that they try to cover all the bases. recently I've seen a lot of complaining about their user forum (too bad, it used to be great). Cubase has an advantage in that it is the most bundled software... comes for free with a lot of interfaces, so it is natural that they have a large user base. ProTools has that wonderful promo ("professional studios use ProTools"... fantastic marketing...). Reaper is cheap. For years i used SAWStudio and the bulk of the work done in our studio from the early 90s until the early to mid-2000s was done in SAW. I switched to Samplitude/Sequoia for the more robust feature set and mastering tools (at the time mostly for DDP, but now I find it indispensable) in the early 2000s but ran both for quite a while. But I beta-tested for quite a few others, and most do about the same thing with a different face. Vegas, Audition, Nuendo... there are others, mostly all fine products.

So, find one that looks good to you. It probably is.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Crazyd943;6653707]Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some recording and arranging at home, on my laptop. I've been used to using Logic Pro 9 at college, and love it.

Basically, I'd like to know which DAW you guys would say was closest to Logic for Windows in terms of features, layout, ease of use etc.

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite, Intel core i3 @ 2.53ghz, 2BG RAM, tRealtek hi-def audio.he

Cheers. [/QL

I can't recall the name and not sure they make it anymore but it was found in consumer stores like Best Buy, Fry's Electronics but
had the look and feel of the original logic. In fact it could have been made by magic, the creators Apple bought it from. EMagic.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I am the author of 2 Logic Pro books but if I were to switch to a PC, my clear choice would be Cubase or Nuendo. They are by far the most similar to Logic.

jasher@eastwestsounds.com

Logic Certified Trainer and author of "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9"
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Finnish
Why not try Reaper? You can download it within a minute, installation is about 30 seconds. Check a few tutorials from youtube, record and go. It'll take 30 minutes of your time, you'll hate it or love it. If it's not for you, then buy something "big", Sonar Cubendo etc.
WD Caviar Black 1 Tb,7200 rpm,64 Mt,SATA-600
Samsung Bluray-DVD
THERMALTAKE ToughPower Grand 650W
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
M-Audio ProFire2626
EMU 0404 USB
MPatch2, BCF2000
GAP pre-73 x2
GAP R1 tube active ribbon mic
REAPER all the way!

My "studio":

My band/recordings:
The Puikot
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to symmetricalSound Send a message via MSN to symmetricalSound
demo all your options
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I use Logic and Cubase regularly. Feature wise, they are similar, but each program has it's own way of accomplishing certain things. The layout is where these two programs are most dissimilar. If you are used to the "single window" workspace of Logic, then Cubase will be a challenge, at least initially. Cubase is certainly a great DAW in it's own right though.
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I suppose it depends on what aspects of Logic you use in your workflow. As far as 'typical' midi+audio workflow with plugins, Cubase is the closest in terms of feature parity (as well as Sonar) being able to transform/filter midi data and deal with audio. Sonar/Reaper come closer to Acid in the way that they handle loop editing in the timeline and Ableton Live + Max4Live is the *only* other daw that I know of that can do some of the more intricate tricks Logic can do in its environment (complex midi processing not just midi plugins used on the track input/output as in Cubase/Sonar). Reaper & Ableton's flexibility to use any track to bus other tracks & midi data as you see fit are somewhat akin to Logic's object oriented nature...

I do agree that you may want to consider giving them a test drive and see what appeals to you the most.
Crazyd943
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Gear interested

Thanks guys.

I'll give them all a spin.

Maybe I've gone wrong, but I downloaded Cubase 5, and it's bloody awful! Not just the kind of learning curve you'd expect; just plain unusable.

I'm downloading Studio One now, and I'll give that a go first.

Cheers
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

RE; Logic vs Sonar

I run both, and Sonar up to and including v8.5 is similar enough to Logic 9 that you'd probably be productive with it in the same day. I think that may be where the difference in opinions is coming from. Old sonar=good comparison to logic, X1=not so good.

X1 is definitely a different beast, mainly because of the pro-channel integration and a new GUI layout. It is efficient once you get the swing of it though & it sounds great.

I do agree with the other posters that Studio One could be a 'logical' choice too.

todd
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase 6

Or...

Studio One Pro

I think Studio One Pro, once version 2.0 is released will be a fantastic DAW. Version 1 is missing lots of advanced features you will find in Cubase 6.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
RE; Logic vs Sonar

I run both, and Sonar up to and including v8.5 is similar enough to Logic 9 that you'd probably be productive with it in the same day. I think that may be where the difference in opinions is coming from. Old sonar=good comparison to logic, X1=not so good.

X1 is definitely a different beast, mainly because of the pro-channel integration and a new GUI layout. It is efficient once you get the swing of it though & it sounds great.

I do agree with the other posters that Studio One could be a 'logical' choice too.

todd
I also use both (X1 and Cubase 6), but I disagree with you. X1 is fantastic as far as user interface and window management go, especially when you're using more than one screen. I have three and it's simply wonderful how flexible it is. It also has screensets, which means all of your windows can INSTANTLY change to a completely different configuration with a SINGLE CLICK (like when you're done tracking and you're starting mixing, or when you're done mixing and you're starting mastering.) In that respect, no other DAW comes even close to X1. X1's weakest points are notation and tempo management, which are clearly inferior to Cubase 6's. But if Cakewalk manage to improve those, they might end up with a near-perfect DAW. Unfortunately, another serious drawback of Sonar is the company that produces it. While the people at Steinberg have managed to clean their act (largely thanks to Yamaha), Cakewalk still seems as if it's run by teenage drama queens.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyd943 View Post
Thanks guys.

I'll give them all a spin.

Maybe I've gone wrong, but I downloaded Cubase 5, and it's bloody awful! Not just the kind of learning curve you'd expect; just plain unusable.

I'm downloading Studio One now, and I'll give that a go first.

Cheers
I agree with you, and I don't. On one hand I know the program is full-featured and quite capable. On the other hand, I didn't like it, either. But thousands use it every day, so it can't be that bad,, just that bad for you and I.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
demo all your options
Yeah, that doesn't work for most people, because you can only get the most superficial over-view and not even that if you don't have someone experienced in running the program sitting next to you showing you what to do. I've been running Sequoia for years, and probably once or twice a month someone talks about how they are doing something with it that I did not know could be done. How would trying to demo the top two, three, or ten DAWs do anything but confuse? These products are just too complex, the immediate impression doesn't go deep enough, and add to that the familiarity with Logic and the expectation to be able to have these programs work as Logic does... maybe demoing with some hand holding, but not alone.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

Since you already use Logic and like it, I doubt you will find anything else you like as much. Maybe you should you should use reaper (because its cheap) until you can scrape up enough money to buy a Mac/Logic system.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

I use Cubase 6 and Reaper. Reaper is inexpensive but a pro DAW all the way.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyd943 View Post

I thought the same of Logic when first trying it out, after using Cubase for years. It took me a while to adjust to Logic. They are really that different in GUI layout and operation. I don't think you're going to adapt to any DAW over night. I would check out some of the numerous video tutorials of the DAWS you are interested in.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also use both (X1 and Cubase 6), but I disagree with you. X1 is fantastic as far as user interface and window management go, especially when you're using more than one screen. I have three and it's simply wonderful how flexible it is.
I don't think you're disagreeing with me, at least it doesn't look like it from this end. When I said 'both' I was aiming at Logic and X1, not Cubase. X1 is fantastic once you get the swing of it. I really like it on my 2 screens too for the same reasons you're talking about. It's definitely a different animal than Logic though....

I don't know enough about what Cubase is like now vs X1, so I'll just keep my mouth shut & believe you

todd
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search