East West Quantum Leap Choir WordBuilder
Old 22nd February 2006
Gear addict

East West Quantum Leap Choir WordBuilder

Can anyone help me out on this, I can't get the words to come out, I've checked all the tutorials that are on soundsonline.com so please don't redirect me there. I try following what the guy does on screen and just press the keys after I put in the words but just piano sounds come out, and its weird cause whenever I try to change the global channel I just get different piano sounds. So ****ing frustrating someone help me please.
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

I can only assume that your MIDI track is not outputting to Choirs but is still routed to the default Wavetable synth.

Check manual and settings.
Old 22nd February 2006
Gear addict

Does that mean I need a Midi Controller with a In and a Out ? Cause I only have one midi plug.
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

What DAW are you using?

You need to do something like this -

Select your MIDI track.

Select input as 'MIDI input (whatever your MIDI input and controller keyboard is attached to'.

Select MIDI output as 'Symphonic Choirs'.
Old 22nd February 2006
Gear addict

Im just trying to make it work as a standalone right now, not as a plug in, I can't get it to make sound with my Midi controller.
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

Ok... Is it a Kompakt Player instrument? (Most East West stuff is)..

Go to FILE > SETUP > MIDI

MIDI input is your interface's MIDI input. Check its active.

MIDI output doesnt matter.

Go to SOUNDCARD

Are you on PC? Then set interface to ASIO

OUTPUT DEVICE is your audio interface. NOT the generic interfaces but the actual name of your actual interface ie. ECHO PCI or EMU ASIO etc...

Go to ROUTING. Select Outputs 1/2 as your interface's 1 and 2 outputs.

Should be good to go

EDIT: Just had thought... you're not using a keyboard with its own sounds as your controller are you? Do you mean your keyboard is playing the piano sounds...?
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
Ok... Is it a Kompakt Player instrument? (Most East West stuff is)..

Go to FILE > SETUP > MIDI

MIDI input is your interface's MIDI input. Check its active.

MIDI output doesnt matter.

Go to SOUNDCARD

Are you on PC? Then set interface to ASIO

OUTPUT DEVICE is your audio interface. NOT the generic interfaces but the actual name of your actual interface ie. ECHO PCI or EMU ASIO etc...

Go to ROUTING. Select Outputs 1/2 as your interface's 1 and 2 outputs.

Should be good to go

EDIT: Just had thought... you're not using a keyboard with its own sounds as your controller are you? Do you mean your keyboard is playing the piano sounds...?
Word Builder is a separate application. Its not as straight forward as it seems. At a friends' studio, I could never get it to work in standalone mode. (I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just my tiny mind couldn't figure it out.) I used nuendo as a host. You have to call up word builder as a midi plug-in. Then call up symphonic choirs as a vst plug. Set the midi out of WB to the Input of EWSC. In EWSC you can't use the regular voices in the program slots, i.e. sopranos, boys choir, etc. You have to use the voices in the MULTI menu that have WB in their titles.
Old 24th February 2006
Gear addict

thanx alot for the advice
Old 24th February 2006
Lives for gear
Hi Machine,

Did you get it to work?

How does it perform in practial use and can you post a sound file?

I listened to the demos with my mother who has been a choir director for the past 30 years. We were both AMAZED!

Years ago I purchased the Symphony of Voices sample set- amazing. BUT that Choir word builder takes the cake if you can actually type in words for the choir to sing and sound THAT good!

Let us know how realistic it sounds --- post a file please!
Old 24th February 2006
Lives for gear

Make sure you have lots of RAM. At least 2 gigs. 1.25 gigs kept displaying a running out of memory warning.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear addict

Last Stop: Standing at the Threshold of the Limits of the Outpost of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
Make sure you have lots of RAM. At least 2 gigs. 1.25 gigs kept displaying a running out of memory warning.

Maybe this’ll wind up as a sticky somewhere. I don't know how to initiate stickys, and its a moderator's task anyway. East-West simply are at the cutting edge folks at the top of their and everybody else’s game, and it doesn’t get any better than this. However be advised that you are at the fringe of the universe here, and stepping off into hyperspace and yer gonna need the right spacecraft and suit and operators manual set of instructions etc to survive out there in hyperspace.

We are talking about tetrabytes worth of bundled data folks, and you're gonna need the fastest and bestest platform to fully come into your own with this amazing work these folks have put together for your inspiration, composition, and production. This will pass muster on anybody's film scores for any Hollywood producer (assuming you’ll have a Harrison Series 12 plus their MPC4D and Trion post-production desks at minimum to mixdown on) and I'll venture to say that soon enough complete orchestras will disappear where handfuls of ingenuous performers will be doing the entire orchestral thang live on stage with a GK3 equipped guitars in conjunction with Zendrums connected to the mainframe as well as the Yanni types surrounded by keyboard controllers all over the place tied into the mondo automation system pushing East-West samples in real-time in all directions.

2 GBof RAM huh? Put the crack pipe down son and step back from the microphone. All these dickheads who write software and build hardware add-ons all tell you all you need is 2MB to 2GB of RAM. In these hyperinflated 24 bit 192 days? Yeah right ..... in all of our dreams LOL. Yeah ok, buy the East-Wets mondo bundle for $2199 and masturbate yourself silly reloading clean installs 16x 16 hours each attempt trying to make it work with 2GB of RAM until you’re dead!!!!

Lets talk platform:

You wanna stick to MAC? Ok and Good luck! She works fantastic with MAC written from the bottom up audio and video software like Logic and DIGIDESIGN software and affiliates like Oxford among others, as well as Apogee hardware among others too, but there’s another universe out there beyond the visible Milky Way folks. Its called hyperspace and there’s some real big ugly black holes that’ll gobble ya up, and yet the hardware and software MFGs will never bother to mention it in their rush to market their next illusion that is supposed to do something it can’t by the next NAMM show in 6 months from now. Have fun on their ‘User Group’ website pulling your hair out while everybody else is crying and screaming as well, then onto eBay to get rid of it and lose more money. Hey, and guess what? It’s already 6 months past and … besides being the poorer financially x2, you haven’t recorded a lick yet either LOL. Hey loser: Welcome back to Gearslutz! Ready for round two?

Let’s Talk Hardware:

Here try an AMD QUAD PRO Dual AMD Quad Opteron Road Proven Workhorse // Up to 32GB DDR-2 667 Ecc Reg RAM // Up to 6TB Audio/Samples Drives // Dual Layer DVD+RW/CD-RW // Dual, Triple or Quad DVI Graphics // Windows XP Pro/Vista* // Available in tower or Rack / Xtreme Quieting available //MOTHERBOARD-- 4xPCIe 16x// 2xPCIx100// 1xPCI // (See ADK)

+

8x Lifetime Memory 2GB Kit 667MHz Fully Buffered DIMM 2GB 667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC (See ADK)

with 16GB of RAM for starters if you are on the VISTA 32 or 64 rocketship. Sooner or later everything will be 64 bit, so go there already. Stop listening to the airbags naysayers who tell you not to. Growing pains at first, but guess what, you’re going there whether you like it or not along with everybody else in the herd by next year. Forget about WIN XP. It’s going away by way of the dodo bird. Vista 64 will be happening sooner or later. It’ll all be ASIO, no more WDM or ASIO, and sooner or later ASIO will be replaced by some new 64 bit convention/protocol that’ll be better. Maybe even at 1-BIT to make me happy.

Then add to that:

5x 1.0TB Western Digita WD RE3 SATA I/II 3.5" Enterprise 7200RPM HDD 'RAID Edition' 32MB Cache, 5yr Western Digital Factory Warranty (WDGWD1002FBYS) INTERNAL

Then add to that:

1x "Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5M - 5 Bay SATA to eSATA RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, Span, JBOD Enclosure - Silver Color. 1 Year Warranty. (SDITR5M) External enclosure holds up to five drives using one cable. Capacity to store up to 7.5TB of data.
Hot-swappable for on the fly drive changes. Compact enclosure with dust-free cover.
PC, Mac, and Linux compatible. Requires Port Multiplication host controller card sold separately. "

Then add to that:

1x RocketRAID 2314 Host Adapter Initially SATA was designed as an internal or inside-the-box interface technology, bringing improved performance and new features to internal PC or consumer storage. Creative designers quickly realized the innovative interface could reliably be expanded outside the PC, bringing the same performance and features to external storage needs instead of relying on USB or 1394 interfaces.

Then add to that:

and then of course your PCIe MAGMA 7 7 Slot PCIe expansion board-set and 1-meter cable, 32-bit for your 2-4 UAD2 cards for mixing and mastering, and whatever other Waves dongel stuff you will use as well.

You are no longer in desktop workstation world anymore, You are now venturing into the MINI COMPUTER/MAINFRAME PROCESSING POWER Daemon world and well, we’ve come full circle jerk automation industry since my SUNN/NEC/DAC UNIX Mainframe days back in the 70s/80s. We became a client-server desktop workstation culture, and now we are a MINFRAME culture again except, its not in big air-conditioned rooms controlled by PhDs in white smocks, it now occupies our entire homes. Thanks Bill Gates and Steve BlowJobs for the wonderful journey in a big fvvking circle for the past 25 years. I suddenly feel like the Book of Genesis traveling along with Moses and the Lost Sheep of Israel in the Wilderness for 40 years in circles getting abosfvvkinloutely nowhere LOL.

Yup, its gonna cost a pretty penny to do it right after you add the dual Acer 26 " and cabling etc you're looking at around $12,620.00 USD. Its hardly cheap. but it will get ya there and you can stop worrying about crashes, and load rates, and transfer rates, and SATA speed, and this and that and everything else like durability, and heat, and warranty, and valid performance, and consistency, and reliability and all that. That's the cost you will pay for the best of the best.

Or ……………..

You can stick to Reason 4 and all their crazy hip hop trance whatever noise or IK Multimedia engines and mix/master software (not bad stuff) or the new Muse Research Receptor 2 (real good stuff) Pro Max: Komplete 2U Rackmount Hardware VST Plug-in Player with 3.0GHz Dual-core Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, UniWire Technology, and Native Instruments Komplete Pre-installed for $3199 and connect it to you computer and have fun ad nauseum …. Hey I like and use a lot of their stuff too so I am not disparaging IK Multimedia or Konnet by any stretch. Reason Basses, and Abbey Road Keys, and Drums etc., are all ok to great. But so is my Roland DTRS20 loaded live expanded that I record with everyday in the studio using very good Roland triggers on top of my Acoustic kits with the best live cymbals in the thousands of dollars worth too under the best SDC mics. Might I add that there are so are many other gadgets out there as small as Korg PX4A, PX4D, PX5d, or as rack elegant as Line 6 X3 Pro fed by a Variax, and all can be played live and push air thru amps and speakers to mics to tape too or DI direct in front of audiences up to 50 to 100,000 maybe? Hello? The sky is the limit folks, and how big are your balls to do it? Huh Chicken!!! That’s what I thought LOL

These are all great too for their purposes and how you use them. But will never be as good as East-West and this is REALITY, and these will never ever rise to the same specs as the East-West stuff. But EAST-WEST is also a different market for folks who CAN afford to pay for the required platform and bundles too. After all how many ‘Hans Zimmer’ level film score producers are reading this who cannot afford the platform? And the reality is that the majority out there who are not film score producers and who cannot afford such but who would like to have the best of the best ‘just because’ but really don’t need it. Right? Yup …. its called needs versus wants. Grow up. Your work will NOT be distributed on MySpace in THX 7.1 Surround anyway at least not at 20-26 bit audio so’don’fkkin’worry’boudit’oreaddy!

So if you don’t have the hardware platform to correctly load and utilize this amazing sampled technology and the engines designed around all that to maximize everything the bundles were designed to do and more than you could ever envision in real time in your life time then DON’T get on Gearslutz or any other foprum and trash East-West because you are clueless, and your breath stinks, and you look like a Yak, and you probably drive like a NJ moron too? Hey but I rike you! This is reality check and bankbook check time. You vil get vat yu pay for booby. Now sign ze papez and step off smaaatly the other direction before you step off the dock into outer space by accident and kill yourself in the process!

Hey and if anybody from the MUSE research team is awake out there, here's an idea to ameliorate the path for these gearhead-slutz who have good hearts and intentions but are impetuous and arrogant and have no patience and who are for the most part kindred spirit ar-sh-ol-es like me? Probably not. For I AM the KINGof the ar-sh-ol-es and who dares rone me? HA!. Hey how about a 2sp Workstation Rack with the right Gigabit transfer rates and RAID/SATA RPM speeds with Tetrabyte+ platform storage etc like what you did for Konnet and IK that the folks can load up with East-West technologies bundles and reduce our entire band to literally a rack of these platforms for everything from UAD-2s, to Waves, to East-West, and so forth so we can trot the globe with 12 sp SKB racks and entire $bazillion recording studios under arm, as well as reduce concert band equipment to a rack as well. All we will need is somebody to create keyboard controllers and guitars that accordionate and reduce into a briefcase pocket when not in use, and then can be reconstituted on site to normal size. Gasp. Now that would be wonderful huh? Symphonic Orchestra literally in a multi rack SKB or Calzone or whatever else makes you happy .

And if Muse pulls this off? All the above is moot. You'll just need a laptop to send the midi notes to the rack units and the external Muse racks'll do all the work and port out to whatever you are going to: Korg 1Bit, PA System, a stand-alone HD Recorder (RADAR/HD24XR), another Muse Rack Box for tracking and another for mixing and mastering? Wow. That's something I'd be willing to invest heavily into .... Wow!

I just can’t stand it that I just know everything all the time!!!
I guess it just sucks to be me huh?
Stop it skygod you sexy muthafvvka … you’re killing me!

~skygod~

Last edited by skygod; 3rd February 2009 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

who let dennis leary in

btw 2 gb of ram is oh, about $50

1tb hd is $150

so for around $300 just about any recent computer should be good to go.
Old 12th October 2009
Gear interested

Please help.....problem with wordbuilder and symphonic choirs

Hi,

Im completely new to forums.

I have a Digi 003 factory and am using ProTools 8 factory bundle. I recently got hold of EWQL Symphonic Choirs along with Word Builder ver. 1.16. All Installations went fine.

Problem is in the wordbuilder midi input selection, i get only two inputs

Digidesign 003 port 1
Digidesign 003 Control Port

In mdi outputs i get four options

Microsoft GS Wavetable synth
Digidesign 003 port 1
Digidesign 003 port 2
Digi 003 Control Port

So when i select the 1st option for midi input, it works fine, my keyboard MIDI is being recognized by the wordbuilder. But at the same time when i open EW symphonic Choirs program, the inputs disappear and cant get it to work. Also, when opening ProTools, i get the error saying the midi ports are being used my another program. IN SHORT I CANT GET SYMPHONIC CHOIRS TO WORK ON MY PC

PLEASE HELP. Im getting headache with solving this mess. Thanks guys
Old 7th December 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
how does this word builder work? anygood?
is it usable for rock music?
Old 31st January 2010
Gear interested

Dam! Wow! hahaha I absolutely loved your rant there Skygod. In fact it was the reason I went through the registration process. I see it was done a few years back but still had to come up just to say
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear interested

Anyone out there for some help

I have a Digi 003 factory and am using ProTools 8 factory bundle. I recently got hold of EWQL Symphonic Choirs along with Word Builder ver. 1.16. All Installations went fine.

Problem is in the wordbuilder midi OUTPUT selection, Well here are my inputs, which are fine,

Digidesign 003 port 1

However, In midi outputs i only get three options

Digidesign 003 port 1
Digidesign 003 port 2
Digi 003 Control Port

Basically i am not able to select SC as my output from WB. Anyone out there having this problem?

Old 3rd March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel007 View Post

Problem is in the wordbuilder midi OUTPUT selection, Well here are my inputs, which are fine,

Digidesign 003 port 1

However, In midi outputs i only get three options

Digidesign 003 port 1
Digidesign 003 port 2
Digi 003 Control Port

Basically i am not able to select SC as my output from WB. Anyone out there having this problem?

working fine here on pro tools 801 cs1
works better standalone, cos play is a ram hog from hell even with 4 gb of ram witch makes me wonder that i am not supprised they recoment 64bit os for play
i cant use my east west instruments on a 32bit os within pro tools doing 8 min orchesta,never gonna happen!! but i can build up a smal song with maybe 20 channels at the most
and for wordbuilder to function you need a virtual midi device,im using midi yoke witch is free and works fine. if you dont have it just google midi yoke.

good luck
Old 18th May 2010
Gear nut

Okay seriously, can anyone help me out here please? I am having the same problem, there is no MIDI interface called 'WordBuilder Virtual MIDI' or something like that, how do I install the MIDI Driver so that it can loopback to Symphonic Choirs? This is so frustrating and I don't know why people are not answering this question. Its also stupid how the software has to rely on MIDI when they can EASILY integrate this feature as an addon to the software itself.
Old 18th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihal View Post
Okay seriously, can anyone help me out here please? I am having the same problem, there is no MIDI interface called 'WordBuilder Virtual MIDI' or something like that, how do I install the MIDI Driver so that it can loopback to Symphonic Choirs? This is so frustrating and I don't know why people are not answering this question. Its also stupid how the software has to rely on MIDI when they can EASILY integrate this feature as an addon to the software itself.
I'll help you buddy.

I actually was able to make this run on ableton 7 even though it's not supposed to.

I know your confusion. And this is kinda complex to do.

Here goes:

google search and install midi yoke. (I'm on iPhone so I'm not gonna search it for your link)

open your daw and open 6 midi channels.

1 will be your in/out and the other 5 will be outputs for vowels sections.

Engage your keyboard controller on all 6.

1 will take input from your keys and output to wordbuilder.

It will go through wordbuilder, and route back to the 5 vowel channels.

This is why you need midi yoke. For those 5.

So output from that 1 With choirs (multi) loaded on it to midi yoke channel 1.

on wordbuilder set the input from midi yoke mid 1.

On wordbuilder set the Vowel outputs to midi yoke 2-6.

On your daw, set the inputs respectively 2-6 for each individual. And set the outputs in your daw do your speakers.

So the chain goes keyboard in - midi1 out - wordbuilder in - wordbuilder out - midi 2-6 in - sound out.

When you install midi yoke there will be like 10+ virtual midi channels on your system.

This only works with a multi not with single voices. The reason it can make words is it uses multi voices to create the vowels for words.

Pm me if you have more questions.

You can find this step process in detail somewhere online search for it too.
Old 5th June 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaySickLy View Post
I'll help you buddy.

I actually was able to make this run on ableton 7 even though it's not supposed to.

I know your confusion. And this is kinda complex to do.

Here goes:

google search and install midi yoke. (I'm on iPhone so I'm not gonna search it for your link)

open your daw and open 6 midi channels.

1 will be your in/out and the other 5 will be outputs for vowels sections.

Engage your keyboard controller on all 6.

1 will take input from your keys and output to wordbuilder.

It will go through wordbuilder, and route back to the 5 vowel channels.

This is why you need midi yoke. For those 5.

So output from that 1 With choirs (multi) loaded on it to midi yoke channel 1.

on wordbuilder set the input from midi yoke mid 1.

On wordbuilder set the Vowel outputs to midi yoke 2-6.

On your daw, set the inputs respectively 2-6 for each individual. And set the outputs in your daw do your speakers.

So the chain goes keyboard in - midi1 out - wordbuilder in - wordbuilder out - midi 2-6 in - sound out.

When you install midi yoke there will be like 10+ virtual midi channels on your system.

This only works with a multi not with single voices. The reason it can make words is it uses multi voices to create the vowels for words.

Pm me if you have more questions.

You can find this step process in detail somewhere online search for it too.
Dude thank you very much, someone told me on another website to use MIDI Yoke but I will refer to this and get it working. Also I didn't know you could type on this website all that using an Iphone haha!
Old 5th June 2010
Gear nut

Hey I still need help, I installed Midi Yoke and now I don't know what to do. What should I do if I just want this to work standalone? The routings all seem confusing to me.
Old 1st July 2010
Gear interested

Hey guys, I also need some advice. Maybe I'm just missing something that you can clear up. I'm using wordbuilder and symphonic choirs as stand alone at the moment, and I'm connecting them via midi yolk. Wordbuilder sends to midi yolk port 1 channels 1-5, and symphonic choirs is set to receive from midi yolk port 1.

However, regardless of what words I type in wordbuilder, symphonic choirs simply plays the chord I'm pressing on the midi controller, in other words different vowels/consonants aren't being sent to the correct places. The result is usually a uniform 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.' I have checked that symphonic choirs isn't receiving anything from the controller.

I must be stupid, but I need someone to tell me where? Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

I use Choirs with Cubase. To do this, you select the appropriate choir "instrument" as a VST instrument and the WordBuilder app runs as a MIDI insert on the same track. It takes some massaging, but I can usually get a phrase sounding uncannily real. The only problem is that with Cubase 5 it doesn't export properly (dropped syllables and such) which has been determined to be a Cubase problem. The guys at EastWest are working on a new version where the WordBuilder will be directly integrated with the Play engine, which should solve this problem. Can't wait for this!
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear interested

Yeah, I reckon I'm just going to start using it in Cubase now. Who could have thought that would actually be simpler?? It's about time they integrated the two applications; I mean if you're going to pay the money for EWSC, chances are you want your choir to sing words?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I use Choirs with Cubase. To do this, you select the appropriate choir "instrument" as a VST instrument and the WordBuilder app runs as a MIDI insert on the same track. It takes some massaging, but I can usually get a phrase sounding uncannily real. The only problem is that with Cubase 5 it doesn't export properly (dropped syllables and such) which has been determined to be a Cubase problem. The guys at EastWest are working on a new version where the WordBuilder will be directly integrated with the Play engine, which should solve this problem. Can't wait for this!
Is this solved?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
Is this solved?
Good question. There's a beta currently undergoing user-testing; I've heard there's a few kinks to work out. But really, it's taking way too long. I have a song waiting for this fix; it's holding up an entire Cd release
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search