Vocal plug-in
New Reply
Subscribe
ANDREWintheBOX
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Head

Vocal plug-in

Idk if this is a good spot to post my thread but what ever. What is the best vocal plug-in for the money? Or should I spend a butt load and get waves. Mess around with those to make my vocals sound....good. Im just using what I have to work with in logic. Not much, and not the best. Any help?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Gearslutz.com App
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

there's no best anything. everyone's favorites are another story. you can do fine with the plugins that come within your daw. eq, compressor, reverb.
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Gear maniac

Go to Audio Plugins for Mixing, Mastering & Recording | Waves and register a new account and get the musicians bundle-1 for only $ 49,-. It has RVoxx, doubler, supertap, etc. It would get you started.

You could get "the Glue". It's a no-brainer almost.

Get Slate's VCC.

Nebula is also cheap but has good libraries which can be bought for a few dollars.

Your DAW should help you out with the rest.
RiF
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWintheBOX View Post
Idk if this is a good spot to post my thread but what ever. What is the best vocal plug-in for the money? Or should I spend a butt load and get waves. Mess around with those to make my vocals sound....good. Im just using what I have to work with in logic. Not much, and not the best. Any help?
Best for the money? You got Logic?
AFAIK, Logic's arsenal of stock plugins pretty much covers the surgical side of mixing, but lacks a bit on the "mojo/character" side. So I'd go shopping in that department.

Of course, Universal Audio's DSP-based UAD platform, with a focus on the 1176LN and LA-2A compressors, Neve 31102, Pultec and Harrison 32C EQs, EMT 140 reverb are what you might be looking for.

Then I'd demo the Stillwell plugins "The Rocket" for 1176LN-style compression, "1973" (Neve 1073'ish) and/or "VibeEQ" (Pultec-y) for EQing.

Or, if you don't care to get WUP'ed and don't need too much mojo in plugins, the Waves Musician 2 bundle might be worth a look. But I don't think it adds too much new to the table (that's filled already with Logic's own plugins).
If you're not much into tweaking, the Waves CLA Artist Signature Collection might be worth a listen. Just throw em on a vocal track, tweak some meaningful knobs and there you are without too much brain-involvement ;-). But I have to admit that they sound good (but please don't tell anybody...), especially the "CLA Vocals" thing. They are real CPU-hogs (even on my Quadcore) and induce quite some delay, though.
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

save your money and download all the variety of sound plugins. they're free, and sound as good as or better than high-priced equivalents.

VST Effects « Variety Of Sound
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the two 'all-in-one' options: Voxformer (Voxengo) and Nectar (Izotope). You can demo both for free.
RiF
22nd April 2011
Old 22nd April 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Did I mention the Softube Mix Bundle? It goes for around $299 and includes the nice FET Compressor (1176LN), a pack of EQs and the TSAR reverb.
22nd April 2011
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

The best vocal plug , or at least an all inclusive complete and excellent sounding one that I use all the time is this one by voxengo the voxformer Vocal channel strip audio plugin (AU, VST) - Voxformer - Voxengo It has 2 compressors , eq , gate , debreathe , saturation which I really like a lot . Then I just run a UAD LA2A in limit and the track is done !! This is what I use in all styles of production I do .
22nd April 2011
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear addict

JJP

Quote:

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Gearslutz.com App

JJP Vocals is AWESOME!!!
ANDREWintheBOX
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

Thank you guys for all your input!!! I hope it helps I haven't been on forever. So I haven't seen this till now. I will give them a try tomorrow.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Super Moderator

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
JJP Vocals is AWESOME!!!
+1.

Graham
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I use normally a combination of different plugins to get the best result. My vocal strip starts with a Waves de-esser - then UAD 1176 to cut the peaks - then UAD LA-2A to make the vocals sounding smoother - then a Sonnox EQ or SSL Duende X-EQ. Sometimes the EQ is pre compressor sometimes post. I love the sound of the Sonnox EQ on vocals very much. It sounds very smooth for a digital EQ.
After that I add some hardware effects on them like a ducking delay from my t.c. electronic D-two and a hall or plate programm from Lexicon 300 or Eventide DSP4000 depending from style and source signal.

A very simple and sometimes unbelievable good sounding all-in-one plugin is the Waves Rennaisance Vox. It has only a gate and a compressor, but sounds even today awsome.
It's easy to use for beginners and semi-profs, but can also does a good job for professionals.
Before I had that UAD, Sonnox and Duende stuff I used the Rvox very often with good results.

Another all-in-one plugin for vocals could be the ssl duende vocalstrip. I will try it in the future after my current production.

Sudad G
Studio gear Lexicon 300,Eventide DSP4000,Lexicon MPX1,Roland SRV2000/330,RSP Intelliverb,T.C. D-two,Korg SDD2000,Electrix Warp Factory,MXR Phase 90,Edison EX1,T.C. Finalizer+, DBX166A,166XL,160,286A,Dualfex II,Mackie 1604VLZ pro,Mackie Control,RME AIO PCIe,UAD2 Solo,PC Intel Core i7 2600 4x3.40GHz,Steinberg Cubase 6.5,MOTU Midiexpress 128,Ultrasone Signature PRO
ANDREWintheBOX
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

whats jjp vocals?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Super Moderator

My Studio

Quote:
whats jjp vocals?
Waves JJP Vocal Plugin.

Graham
ANDREWintheBOX
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

hmmmm and its only $50 how good is it?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Super Moderator

My Studio

Quote:
hmmmm and its only $50 how good is it?
IMHO it will embarrass you how fast it is to get great vocal tacks compared to trying to do it yourself with separate plugins.
Demo it and see for yourself, for the price its more than handy to have it in your arsenal.

Graham
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search