Please Recommend Me An SSD Drive
New Reply
Subscribe
syntheticrhyme
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear addict

Please Recommend Me An SSD Drive

My 30 day old OCZ agility 2 ssd just died on me and after researching many brands online, I'm not sure what to go with. Can you recommend from experience, a somewhat reliable brand (so far, I think an intel ssd might be the best option)
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

OCZ Vertex thumbsup 18 months without a hickup 30 days? I think the warranty is 3 years

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
syntheticrhyme
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
OCZ Vertex thumbsup 18 months without a hickup 30 days? I think the warranty is 3 years
maybe the vertex is better than the agility series (or it could have been just my bad luck?). I was able to get a full refund from the shop since it was within 30days and now I'm going to look at all my options. From all the research I've been doing, the intel ssd's seem to be the most problem free (although spec wise, they are a bit slower at write speeds and a bit more expensive
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

intel!

new models arrive next week..
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

i've been using a Crucial SSD as my main windows partition and it's been both fast and totally reliable.
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

Something you should consider.....

In all those reviews and opinions, even the slowest of the SSD's is likely going to DESTROY the benchmarks on any 7200 drive.

Intel is a known entity. Likely you will have no problems and lots of ear to ear grinning.

I am using a Samsung 470 series in my Macbook Pro and it is amazing. Love it and cannot see anything but SSD's in my future.

Good Luck!
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
intel!

new models arrive next week..
The intel 320 series ssd (Postville refresh) are only sata-300 and, compared to the Postville, are a bit faster in writing large chunks of data, but at random 4K, it's about the same. The price premium is not worth it if you ask me, but the street prices might be a lot lower perhaps.

The Intel 510 series SSD are sata-600, can be extremely fast (about 500 MB read, 400MB write) but with small random data, it's actually slower compared to the Postville! Weird!

If you need one now, and you don't have sata-600, I would pick the Postville, or perhaps the Corsair Force (Sandforce and fast 34nm flash, OCZ has slower 25nm flash)

If you have sata-600, the vertrex 3 is probably the best performing SSD, for now at least.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you using that with PT9? I see PT in your signature. If yes, did you do anything special to tweak it? I ask cause a lot of people get DAE errors with SSDs in PT9 and they're not approved . . . but I'd love to use one.
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Gear Head

I got one of these for my OS, Intel X25-M SATA 2.5" SSD 80GB ,it`s rock solid, fast , pro tools is a lot more stable, and I think and I may be having myself on but my mix`s sound clearer...
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Gear nut

Ok ...this brings the question ....really how big of an SSd do you need if you are going to use it with Logic Pro 9 at this time?? With how fast these things are improving is buying just enough better than buying more than you need ...with upgrading in a year or two as part of the plan?
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Are you using that with PT9? I see PT in your signature. If yes, did you do anything special to tweak it? I ask cause a lot of people get DAE errors with SSDs in PT9 and they're not approved . . . but I'd love to use one.
Works perfect with PT9 - flawless super fast boot times - super fast session loads. - there is no mention of SSD drives in the official Avid System Compatibility

Avid - Pro Tools HD 9.0 System Requirements
syntheticrhyme
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena View Post
I got one of these for my OS, Intel X25-M SATA 2.5" SSD 80GB ,it`s rock solid, fast , pro tools is a lot more stable, and I think and I may be having myself on but my mix`s sound clearer...
I ended up getting this one too, but the 120gig model. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear nut

Well I like the OCX Vertex 3.5" spec ..but I have heard of problems with them ...can anyone else speak to this??
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
I ended up getting this one too, but the 120gig model. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed
You have a good, stable, and fast SSD. Have fun with it!! thumbsup
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear addict

Yeah can't go wrong with the Intel SSDs! thumbsup
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

That's good to hear, I have an Intel X-25M 80GB on it's way to me right now. I've been running PT 7.3.1 on OSX Tiger for a long time and finally bit the bullet to go Snow Leopard/PT9. Figured I'd just go SSD while I'm at it and keep the old drive around as a bootable external, though I'm not sure how to go about doing that...
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Gear nut

Another question on the 2.5" SSDs ...besides something like the Icy doc ...do I need to get SATA cables or anything else to hook one up? I have not opened my Mac Pro as of yet so I do not know what is in there or what I may need to get besides the drive and mounting doc. Thx again ...
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Works perfect with PT9 - flawless super fast boot times - super fast session loads. - there is no mention of SSD drives in the official Avid System Compatibility

Avid - Pro Tools HD 9.0 System Requirements
Then SSDs might be OK for PTHD, not regular PT, possibly because the HD card does a lot of the processing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search