Login / Register

On phone with Apple! 8 core 2.93 or 6 core 3.33???
New Reply
Subscribe
composer
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

On phone with Apple! 8 core 2.93 or 6 core 3.33???

I told him I use a lot of plug insane he aid open activity monitor and check the ram. MacBook Pro, "2008, right before switch to chicklet keys.

Anyway I started this and realized I booted to wring external drive and did not want to authorize all the plugins. So will try it later but I've been around macs and pc's since the 386 if you can believe it to know it's the CPU overloading.

Anyway I noticed the 8 core 2009 and 3.33 sell around the same price.

Question. Presently, the 8 core is really close to 12 in terms of benchmarks and the 3.33 is no slouch. I would just hate, for example, to get the 2.93 only for apple to release some update that makes even the 6 core fly by the 8 with 6 cores and 6 virtual cores running all perfectly balanced making the 12 core the fastest on earth with 24 total and virtual cores. So what would you do?

Yes? What would you do? Buy a 6 core that supposedly the 9.1.3 update fixed for 6/12 cores, plus faster FSB, memory and graphic card or the 8 core which today, gets really close to the 12 cores.

In hindsight, Apple should have waited until the 12 was perfected. Then we would not see price gouging of the 2.93 and it would have dropped $1000 in price as the 12 would blaze past the 8 and Apple may have charged less for it as the price now is only due to what, , in theoretically, do in the future as the 2.93 benches close to the 12 and while the six only has 4 memory slots as everyone knows it cost more to add 32 GB of ram than 8 2GB sticks.

In a way, it's one of the messiest releases I've ever seen.

But alas, if you had the $$$, between the 2, (2.93 8 core xeon nelham or 6 core quad 3.33 Westermere), what would you do?

Or do what a few, or so I've read did, build an overclocked 8 core at 4~4.5 ghz hack, I mean PC, for your machine. Plus we can only hope the new lion works just as well on the 2.93 machines so Apple doesn't make you get a new machine.
IE no lightpipe pci support???

Godspeed and all dreams come true this year.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Easy choice. 8 core 2.93 gives you more power in any current DAW version.
You have more RAM slots.
You have 2 CPU slots that can be updated .
Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 285GTX, AVID HD I/O, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, PT HD3 PCIe PT HD 10.3.7, 10.8.4 , CS-80,Jupiter-8,P5rev2,Oberheim OB-Xa, Code8,Jupiter-4,PPG Wave 2.2,Prophet600,SEM Pro,Voyager RME,Prophet VS
composer
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Easy choice. 8 core 2.93 gives you more power in any current DAW version.
You have more RAM slots.
You have 2 CPU slots that Canada be updated .
Yes but what about all the other things that make a computer a computer? FSB. Memory speed. Graphics etc. Plus, unless they keep the pin count the same we could only upgrade to a 3.33 correct?

Thanks.
TO OTHERS. SORRY ABOUT SPELLING. USING AN IPHONE RIGHT NOW. IN LOS ANGELES. MIGHT GO TO NEW HAMPSHIRE ( no sales tax-going to Boston next week. Apple. Store about 1/2 an hour away.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer View Post
Yes but what about all the other things that make a computer a computer? FSB. Memory speed. Graphics etc. Plus, unless they keep the pin count the same we could only upgrade to a 3.33 correct?

Thanks.
TO OTHERS. SORRY ABOUT SPELLING. USING AN IPHONE RIGHT NOW. IN LOS ANGELES. MIGHT GO TO NEW HAMPSHIRE ( no sales tax-going to Boston next week. Apple. Store about 1/2 an hour away.
If you intend to run you system at 44.1 Khz, then Firechild is about right. The 2.93 will be more than adequate for most situations.

If you need to run a good amount of really really CPU-Intensive VI's/SoftSynths/Plug-Ins or if you intend to work at very high sample rates (96 Khz & Up) then the 3.33 is your safer friend for now.

Both are upgradeable to a max of 12 Cores at 3.46 Ghz, which as I'm sure you know is blazingly fast.

The 2.93 Ghz can be upgraded to 12-Core 3.46 Ghz status by swapping out the mobo, processor board, the corresponding heat sinks, and the newer processors, of course in the future if you should want to do so when the parts and price goes down.

The 3.33 6-Core can be upgraded to 12-Core 3.46 Ghz status by merely swapping out the processor board, getting the corresponding heat sinks, and the processors.

OWC can do both of these upgrades, or if you are willing to take the plunge, you can do them yourself although if you are not skilled, I'd be wary of doing such an upgrade as a starter.

So if you needed a great Mac but knew that you would be operating at a base sample rate with minimal CPU-Hungry software but wanted to have an upgrade path moving forward that you could take time to save up for, the 2.93 Ghz is a winner, especially if you can get it slightly cheaper than a 6-Core Mac Pro. Where you're going to pay, is in the area of the upgrade as at this time as it tends to be more expensive to upgrade a 2.93 Ghz to a 12-Core 3.46 Ghz, than a 6-Core 3.33 Ghz to a 12-Core 3.46 Ghz, at least right now.

However, if you do not need the the slightly extra bit of 'heft' (As far as the Logic Benchmark figures are concerned) that the 2.93 8-Core gives you at 44.1 Khz and you want the less expensive upgrade path in the near future but need some real CPU power right now in the meantime - The 6-Core 3.33 Ghz is your chick.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search