Official Logic Tips n' Tricks Thread
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
I forget how to cut smaller increments,other on the grid.any help?

Sent from my AT100 using Gearslutz App
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Gear maniac

19th August 2012
Old 19th August 2012
Lives for gear

More about "Auto-Set":
• Auto-Set Locators changes your left/right locator (and therefore, Cycle) settings whenever you change your region and/or Marquee and/or note selection.

If you want to check if Auto-Set Locators is enabled, look at the Cycle icon in Transport. If there's a line under the cycle symbol, Auto-Set Locators is on.

A long click on the Cycle icon opens a menu which allows you to enable/disable that mode and define how auto-set locators should behave.

Auto-scrolling while editing your selection:
• You don't need to worry about extending the selection outside your window range: In Arrange, if you use the left/right arrows to extend or shorten your Marquee selection, Logic will auto-scroll to show the end of the selection, which allows you to see how your selection is changed. The selection end will be moved to the next/previous transient or MIDI note on/off.

The same is true for using the arrows with Shift, which changes the selection start.

Once you switch between editing the selection start and the selection end (by pressing Shift or not, while using the arrows), Logic will scroll/jump to show you the area you edit.

This behavior is independent of the Scroll To Selection and Scroll in Play features.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear

Not sure if this was mentioned...

Another use for the marquee tool, this time for copy and paste ...

lets say you program with samples and you have a percussion pattern that doesn't start on 'one' but 'a' of a sixteenth and it's a four bar pattern of various rhythms, instead of highlighting the regions in the four bars and option-drag copying and hoping you start the rhythm on the 'a' beat, simply highlight the four bars from the beginning of the bar to the end with the marquee tool, press apple+C(copy) highlight just the first bar of the copy start(first beat) with the marquee tool(no need to do all four bars), then press apple+v(paste) takes two second to copy whole sections with intricate editing and takes the guess work out at the same time.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Probably most of you do that already and I'm just late to the game:

Aliases

I reserve up to 64 bars in the beginning for my base groove, where I have all my regions. E.g. the bass line including the variations etc. The song itself starts bar 65 (time set to 0:00:00:00 there) only with aliases NOT copies.

When you need to change some notes or even whole melodies, when you already finished your arrangement. You'll need to change only ONE region and won't need to copy it thru the whole arrangement.

That works also very fine with automation. Just copy the automation into a region. Make an alias from this region and work with it within the arrangement.
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

23rd August 2012
Old 23rd August 2012
Saving your own "Standard" or "Go from here" Plug In settings with #default saves time after opening this Plug in. For example an active EQ Band/LowCut.
23rd August 2012
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalRichmen View Post
Saving your own "Standard" or "Go from here" Plug In settings with #default saves time after opening this Plug in. For example an active EQ Band/LowCut.
How do you do that with e.g. Fabfilter's Pro-Q?
23rd August 2012
Old 23rd August 2012
phantom powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
How do you do that with e.g. Fabfilter's Pro-Q?
It works with any plugin... stock or 3rd party. Open the plugin, set it up how you want, and save as #default in Logic's plugin save dialog and you're good to go. It'll come up with your settings any time you open it. Major time saver!
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhenge View Post
It works with any plugin... stock or 3rd party. Open the plugin, set it up how you want, and save as #default in Logic's plugin save dialog and you're good to go. It'll come up with your settings any time you open it. Major time saver!
Major thanks
6th September 2012
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a tip that's time saving when doing volume automation etc in logic pro. I just found it by chance on youtube. check it out. a really hand tip to know when mixing.

Kind Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
BOP
6th September 2012
Old 6th September 2012
BOP
Gear addict

I can dig it!
6th September 2012
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

It's a good way. I prefer to have the marquee tool assigned to the command key. When you select with the marquee in automation mode the nodes are created at the boundaries of the selection. I find it much faster as I don't have to go into menus.
8th September 2012
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
I prefer to have the marquee tool assigned to the command key.
My personal choice is to have the Marquee Tool assigned to the lower half of the region (enable Preferences>Editing>Pointer Tool In Arrange provides Marquee Tool Click Zones).

Tip: If you want to learn more key commands, make a picture file and place it on your desktop, with a list of the the commands you are about to learn (see example).

Tip: Right-click or Control-click the Transport Bar background to customise which icons that will be shown in that area. If you press "Save as default" when your done, you'll get the new look of your transport bar in all projects.
Attached Images
File Type: png Logic Key Command Reminder.png (140.9 KB, 347 views)
8th September 2012
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
My personal choice is to have the Marquee Tool assigned to the lower half of the region (enable Preferences>Editing>Pointer Tool In Arrange provides Marquee Tool Click Zones).

Tip: If you want to learn more key commands, make a picture file and place it on your desktop, with a list of the the commands you are about to learn (see example).

Tip: Right-click or Control-click the Transport Bar background to customise which icons that will be shown in that area. If you press "Save as default" when your done, you'll get the new look of your transport bar in all projects.
Since version 9, i copy and paste the "used" KC in the Project Notes of my template project, so all my KC are always in all my projects, ready to remind my sorry memory.

KA
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Thanks. I'm aware of that, but my mouse is very nervous so prefer to assign it to command
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

And for the ones who can't get their hands off the mouse and needs more kc... http://warmouse.com/
That kind of mouse can make you as fast as a flash.
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hello folks!

This trick applies to the general use of ML as well to the Logic Pro, of course.

When using auto-hide for dock, there is an annoying delay which is irritating and clumsy, especially if using full screen apps just like Logic Pro.

With this trick when you hover down with a cursor, the dock immediately jumps up.

Write this to the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 0 && killall Dock

If you want go back to the default settings, write:

defaults delete com.apple.Dock autohide-delay && killall Dock
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Gear maniac

Make yourself a key command guide, for your screen or to print:

Choose Preferences/Key Commands.
Open the Options menu.
Choose 'Copy Key Commands to Clipboard'.
Move to your favorite text editor, word processor, or page layout app and paste.
Chop, slice, and dice to suit. Printing upside down on a t-shirt is optional!

While you are in the key command editor, take a tour and see how many commands are not assigned to any key...
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Three different dynamics.

Volume - loud vs quiet

Depth - direct signal vs reverb

Width - mono/center vs stereo/out of phase
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys. Say I wonder, is there a way to copy and paste all channel strip settings for a project outside of saving each channel individually and recalling them again individually to a new project? I often times like to get a rough mix up on the first track of a record and apply that base to all the tracks, and have been doing it one by one thus far.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Open your file browser in the MEdia area (eg. by pressing "F"), and find your source project. Select all the tracks (drag the mouse over them; still in th file Browser), and click on one of the Plug-in Buttons.

That's it. Now you'll import all these settings into your blank project by pressing "Add", and can start to work with the settings of the source song.

If you rather want to replace the settings (for multiple tracks in an existing project), using the settings of another project, use the key commands called "Copy Audio Configuration" and "Paste Audio Configuration".
Use the first key command when your source song is open (and selected), and the latter when your destination song is open and selected.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul View Post
Try Free-G. It's a MUCH better solution for multiple reasons.
So I have to install there self updating download manager to get this thing?

"All Sonalksis plug-ins are downloaded and installed via our 'Plugin Manager' application. Our plugin manager simpifies the experience of installing, authorising and updating your plugins, as well as allowing you to access evaluation versions of our software. The Plugin Manager is a self-updating application, so you should only need to download it once"

A HUGE NO THANKS. What a load of bull...

edit: found on google after a bit of searching without the forced d/l manager.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Fill channel plugin slots with similar kinds of plugins disable them then save them as a strip.
then when you forget which (e.g drive or saturation) plugin you might be looking for, load a whole strip into an unused channel.

if you keep having to move the arrange page to relocate a certain horizontal and vertical position.
assign the jump to selection key command to F for Find. and then select a part which where you need to be.
then pressing F will take you there.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hello lads!

I thought to ask from you Logic wizards about my audio editing problem I dont work with audio that much, mostly with midi/virtual instruments.

Anyway, I give an example. Lets say that I have five bars of emptiness within audio region and I want to get rid of it. I choose scissors and I begin by setting the beginning and ending. If I do in this order, then I need to click once more when I choose the region I want to delete. But If I choose the ending and then the beginning, then I dont need to choose the area.

For me this sounds a bit lame, choosing the ending and then beginning. Is there a way how can I avoid clicking once more? I know its just a one click but still if that happens often, its kind of irritating
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sample rate question...

I work at 88.2, but I have audio samples from all over the place (sample packs, YouTube, Internet archive, etc)...is there any way to have logic seamlessly do its own conversion when dropping audio in (like ableton)...how do you guys manage different sample rates of audio? I was always confused by this (again, in ableton I don't have to think about it).
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
phantom powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Hello lads!

I thought to ask from you Logic wizards about my audio editing problem I dont work with audio that much, mostly with midi/virtual instruments.

Anyway, I give an example. Lets say that I have five bars of emptiness within audio region and I want to get rid of it. I choose scissors and I begin by setting the beginning and ending. If I do in this order, then I need to click once more when I choose the region I want to delete. But If I choose the ending and then the beginning, then I dont need to choose the area.

For me this sounds a bit lame, choosing the ending and then beginning. Is there a way how can I avoid clicking once more? I know its just a one click but still if that happens often, its kind of irritating

Give the marquee tool a whirl, in combination with the delete key on your keyboard. I think you'll be quite pleased.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhenge View Post
Give the marquee tool a whirl, in combination with the delete key on your keyboard. I think you'll be quite pleased.
Thank you Sir! Its indeed faster like this!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

You can also choose the part of the region you want to keep and hit Ctrl+C (crop). What's outside of the marquee selection is deleted
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
You can also choose the part of the region you want to keep and hit Ctrl+C (crop). What's outside of the marquee selection is deleted
Thanks for the tip!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search