Login / Register

Official Logic Tips n' Tricks Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
31st July 2012
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Haven't read that one here and it seems to me a lot of people don't know this or haven't yet epxerienced the benefits of my hint:

Copy automation data into a region. Best for me is to have for each parameter (per track) a separate region (one for volume, one for panorama, one for filter, etc.)

You just need a region (create one with the pencil), put the region where the automation is, select the region and use the appropriate command "move automation data into region".

This way you can loop automation, copy it easily, rearrange fast, work with aliases, give them colors, etc.

You can view the automation by pressing "A", then switch thru the automation with (I think) cmd+D. I use zooming "Z" before I view the automation.

stardustmedia - murat
high end analog music production
stay tuned thru my facebook fanpage: stardustmedia
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Tip: The Stop button is highly customizable: a right click (or long click) on that button opens a menu which lets you decide how it behaves. See the image above.

The upper three options define what happens when your press stop during play, and the next three options define what happens if you press stop when stopped.

The options may be a bit overwhelming, but just remember that if you enable several of them, they work from the top to the bottom.
Example: If all the options (in the "if stopped"-section) are enabled, Logic selects the first one (Jump Between Marquee- and Project Start if Stopped) *if* there is a Marquee selection. If not, it uses the third enabled option (from the top), and jumps between cycle and project start (if Cycle is active).

With the same settings - if neither an active (= green) Cycle selection nor a Marquee selection exist, but a region is selected, Logic goes for the third option - and jumps between region start and project start).

If that option wouldn't have been enabled, and the fourth option is enabled, Logic would jump between last locate position and project start if stopped. I usually have all these four options enabled.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Haven't read that one here and it seems to me a lot of people don't know this or haven't yet epxerienced the benefits of my hint:

Copy automation data into a region. Best for me is to have for each parameter (per track) a separate region (one for volume, one for panorama, one for filter, etc.)

You just need a region (create one with the pencil), put the region where the automation is, select the region and use the appropriate command "move automation data into region".

This way you can loop automation, copy it easily, rearrange fast, work with aliases, give them colors, etc.

You can view the automation by pressing "A", then switch thru the automation with (I think) cmd+D. I use zooming "Z" before I view the automation.
It's CMD+Y to switch between 'autoview' of automation params by default I believe, though I change a lot of the defaults myself as well. And being able to move automation to parts and back to tracks is one of the top reasons I still use Logic over other DAWs that I own. Combine it with the environement and you can take automation written 'live' for 1 parameter and tie multiple other parameters to that single change in a 'musical' way (by scaling CC/Fader values to fit and offset), and quickly build out a section of automation with aliases of the original parts then come back later and convert to real parts, scale/subtly manipulate each or even 'expand' the automation back out to the individual params (just make a new track to 'write' the data to at the end of the environment chain) and convert back to track data for final 'global view' tweaks.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
switch thru the automation with (I think) cmd+D.
Quote:
It's CMD+Y to switch between 'autoview' of automation params by default I believe
What's that key command called? I only find these automation key commands:

Open Automation Preferences...
Toggle Current Track Automation Off/Read
Set Current Track to Automation Read
Toggle Current Track Automation Touch/Read
Toggle Current Track Automation Latch/Read
Toggle Current Track Automation Write/Read
Set All Tracks to Automation Off
Set All Tracks to Automation Read
Set All Tracks to Automation Touch
Set All Tracks to Automation Latch
Set All Tracks to Automation Write
Automation Event List...
Toggle writing Volume Automation in Write Mode
Toggle writing Pan Automation in Write Mode
Toggle writing Mute Automation in Write Mode
Toggle writing Send Levels Automation in Write Mode
Toggle writing Plug-in parameters Automation in Write Mode
Toggle writing Solo Automation in Write Mode
Toggle Automation Quick Access
Set Move Automation with Regions to Never
Set Move Automation with Regions to Always
Set Move Automation with Regions to Ask
Toggle Move Automation with Regions Never/Always
•Set Automation SelectTool
•Set Automation Curve Tool
Snap Automation
Write Automation to End
Write Automation to Right Locator
Delete Visible Automation on Selected Track
Delete All Automation on Selected Track
Delete Orphaned Automation on Selected Track
Delete All Automation
Move Visible Region Data to Track Automation
Move Visible Track Automation to Region
Move All Region Data to Track Automation
Move All Track Automation to Region
Hide/Show Track Automation
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
It's CMD+Y to switch between 'autoview' of automation params by default I believe, though I change a lot of the defaults myself as well. And being able to move automation to parts and back to tracks is one of the top reasons I still use Logic over other DAWs that I own. Combine it with the environement and you can take automation written 'live' for 1 parameter and tie multiple other parameters to that single change in a 'musical' way (by scaling CC/Fader values to fit and offset), and quickly build out a section of automation with aliases of the original parts then come back later and convert to real parts, scale/subtly manipulate each or even 'expand' the automation back out to the individual params (just make a new track to 'write' the data to at the end of the environment chain) and convert back to track data for final 'global view' tweaks.
Could be CMD + Y, I think I changed it to CMD + D

I think it's "Hide/Show automation data"... nbt sure though
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hide/Show Track Automation = "A" only....

Another tip:
If you want to quickly create a new, blank/empty (= no plugins) track of the same track type you have selected, press the "+" button above the track list while holding down the Option (Alt) key.

If you want to create a new, blank track of the opposite kind of the currently selected track, press the "+" button with Option and Shift: This will create a new audio track if you are on an instrument track, and a new instrument track if you are on an audio track.
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Hide/Show Track Automation = "A" only...
Yessss, that's it.
I'll check out tonight which command it is to show the different automation parameters within a region.
12th August 2012
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

Tip: In order to be able to protect the global tracks, enable Protect for the normal arrange tracks.
13th August 2012
Old 13th August 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to stevelalonde
Quote:
1. Select the scissor tool.
2. Alt+click on an audio region.
This one changed my life since I discovered it a year ago. Especially when dealing with electronic/electroacoustic stuff and beats.

Also if you're like me, when dealing with colors, double clicking on one brings up the os palette and you can modify this color. I had to moan once or twice at the choice of colors before discovering this.

Also, you can put regions on the Aux track :
- If you're working with movies or just need to move the whole project a few bars left or right and you have (lots of) automation on aux busses. You can create empty regions on your auxes and then select the "Move automation with region" option. Select all and move everything. Your automations will follow.

Then you can erase the empty region if, like me, it bugs you to see region on an aux track.

And never forget that the esc key brings up a menu with all the tools you need!
13th August 2012
Old 13th August 2012
Gear maniac

CMD + Z is the most commonly used quick keys at my place! Haha!
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelalonde View Post
I have to admit that I did not remember this! Thanks!
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
This one changed my life since I discovered it a year ago. Especially when dealing with electronic/electroacoustic stuff and beats.

Also if you're like me, when dealing with colors, double clicking on one brings up the os palette and you can modify this color. I had to moan once or twice at the choice of colors before discovering this.

Also, you can put regions on the Aux track :
- If you're working with movies or just need to move the whole project a few bars left or right and you have (lots of) automation on aux busses. You can create empty regions on your auxes and then select the "Move automation with region" option. Select all and move everything. Your automations will follow.

Then you can erase the empty region if, like me, it bugs you to see region on an aux track.

I love regions on the auxes. Keeps a good overview thur my arrangement. They're yellow and go from the start -1 bar until the end plus some bars.

Selecting one of those regions plus my short cut "cmd + =" for creating a loop from region start to end is an easy way to include the whole song for bouncing.
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

If you want to compare two different sections, or eg. copy regions/events between them, have Logic memorize these locations for you, with Zoom levels, by using the Store Navigation Snapshot command. (I have it on Control S). Then you can use "Navigation: Back" and "Navigation:Forward" to move between the memorized locations.

---

"Mark as good" during record: If you cycle record audio, try the “Select Previous Section for Realtime Comping” command after you have heard something you want to keep. When you're done, Logic will make a comp out of all the sections you marked as good during the record process. To be able to play back a comp based on the best parts of a performance immediately after you have pressed stop is particularly useful if the singer is single and attractive and you at least are single. :-)
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Gear Head

Region on aux

Quote:
I love regions on the auxes. Keeps a good overview thur my arrangement. They're yellow and go from the start -1 bar until the end plus some bars.
Since your comment, I decided to try to use it today in a new session. With big clear colors and all.

I may start to accept it and maybe soon like it!

16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Always keep the marquee tool as the second tool for command/right-mouse clicking. You could select and even delete stuff with this tool. After the pointer tool me thinks the second most used tool in the tools palette.
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Since your comment, I decided to try to use it today in a new session. With big clear colors and all.

I may start to accept it and maybe soon like it!

It's very refreshing to hear how other people work. This way I often try new things and find myself working faster or better
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Always keep the marquee tool as the second tool for command/right-mouse clicking. You could select and even delete stuff with this tool. After the pointer tool me thinks the second most used tool in the tools palette.
Until now I never felt the marquee tool. I really don't understand its function. Maybe I need to force myself more
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Until now I never felt the marquee tool. I really don't understand its function. Maybe I need to force myself more
I didn't adopt it either when it came out, but let me tell you once I started to use scissors with right click and marquee with command key my workflow improved dramatically. It's just that tool that does a bunch of things. My favorite is probably when drawing automation and you want to say lower the volume of a section. Just marquee select the spot you want and drag it it down with the pointer. Boom, 4 nodes created instantly and volume lowered in 2 steps
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definately get to know your marquee tool, it is indespensible for audio edited and automation, it does so much quickly!
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Always keep the marquee tool as the second tool for command/right-mouse clicking.
Or go the Preferences>Audio>Editing, and enable "Pointer Tool In Arrange Provides MArquee Tool Click Zones". This setting incrases the work-speed of Logic dramatically, because it turns the main tool, which already is a multi-tool, into something even more multitoolish: it converts the pointer tool to a marquee tool when it's positioned over the lower half of a region.
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Yessss, that's it.
I'll check out tonight which command it is to show the different automation parameters within a region.
The key command is called "Hyper Draw: Automatic view (or definition)"
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

Some of the "Marquee" advantage i know of:

- Click anywhere with the Marquee: Playback will start there as long as the Marquee line is active.
- Drag a selection with the Marquee and hit Play: Will play that section and stop at the right end.
- Double-click a region with the Marquee: same as scisor tool.
- Drag a Marquee selection on a region, return to pointer tool while holding Option and drag the selection: Will copy the Marquee selection. Use the Marquee strip to do this to all the regions on all the tracks.
- Drag a Marquee selection on a region and then select pointer tool and click the selection: Will cut at the Marquee boundaries. If there's some Midi regions and cuts up some Midi notes, it will ask what you want to do.
- Marquee selection creates 4 automation nodes: See member Phased explanation before my post...
- I'm tired of writing the word Marquee, so i'll stop there. If a Logic guru sees some uses i forgot, feel free to complement.

KA
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

There's also the marquee selection when doing automatic punch recording and hitting M when a selection is made with marquee (will cut at the bounderies and mute what's inside).
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
There's also the marquee selection when doing automatic punch recording and hitting M when a selection is made with marquee (will cut at the bounderies and mute what's inside).
Oh, really? Cool!! Does hitting M runs over any KC that are assigned to M when a marquee selection is active or in this example it's because of the default assignment?(I'm in front of an iPad right now so i can't test this...)

KA
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

M is the default key command for muting. If you changed it use the one you chose for that function.
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

Once you get used to using the Marquee tool, this info could be useful:

- 4-point editing mode: In Flex mode, mark a section with the Marquee tool, and move it left/right, and Logic will automatically make two new Flex markers for you, one on each side. Your selection won't be stretched; the material on the left/right side will be, but only between your main selection and the following/previous relevant transient markers.

- Make a thin Marquee line (short click), and the use Crop. The follow section will be removed.

- Make a normal selection (not just a line) inside a region, on one or several tracks, and press Crop. The audio material outside the Marquee selection (on the relevant regions) will be removed.

- Mark a part of a region - but don't include the beginning. Crop will remove the beginning of that region.

- Areas on multiple tracks may be marked at the same time, and shift-clicking some of the multi-selected sections (across several tracks) will remove those sections from the Marquee selection. Shift-clicking on an area above/below a Marquee selection will add that area to the selection.

- When areas on multiple tracks are selected, record or auto-punch will rec-enable all these tracks automtically.

- Mark an area with the Marquee, and the nudge features will apply to this area.

- If an area is Marquee-selected, you can use "Scroll to Selection" to have Logic show you that selection

- The same goes for Zoom to Selection.

- "Jump Between Marquee- and Project Start if stopped" can be enabled via the menu under the Stop button in Transport.

- If enabled, and when Auto-Set locators is active: A Marquee selection will define the left/right locator positions.

- There are key commands which lets you set the the Marquee end/start to the next or previous transients.

- You can edit the Marquee start or end to the playhead position with key commands.

- The key command Select Inside Locators sets the Marquee selection according to the locators
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

For Snap to transients just select with marquee. Use the left/right cursor keys for snapping right boundary and shift+left/right cursor keys for left boundary. Then just crop (Ctrl+c just cuts at boundaries and removes what's outside of the selection from the arrangement). You can create a loop in a few seconds easy
17th August 2012
Old 17th August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
It's very refreshing to hear how other people work. This way I often try new things and find myself working faster or better

Agreed, this is gonna be my favorite thread soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
For Snap to transients just select with marquee. (...) You can create a loop in a few seconds easy
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Gear maniac

Question,, in a multitrack project with multiple takes.. How can I switch takes in batches..

Like say I am listening to take 1 in all tracks and then want to listen to take 2 in all tracks.. How do I switch them all at once ?
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Question,, in a multitrack project with multiple takes.. How can I switch takes in batches..

Like say I am listening to take 1 in all tracks and then want to listen to take 2 in all tracks.. How do I switch them all at once ?
Logic pro multi-track comping - YouTube
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search