Login / Register

I'm here to assist you with EastWest support
New Reply
Subscribe
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I do tech support for Toontrack but I also stop by here and answer questions about our products when I can. I don't see anything wrong with providing tech support here by me or from another company's rep. I suppose if someone asked a Toontrack tech question, I could just post 'why don't you post over on the Toontrack forum', but it usually takes no more time to just answer that damn question.

I'm not sure I understand some of the negativity here (MusicProducer) about Jay offering to answer questions. He was hired to answer EW questions on various forums with full discloser of his company association. That seems like a step in the right direction...and he's chastised for making himself available to answer questions???

Gearslutz is kinda wacky sometimes...

Rainbow Sounds Recording
www.rainbowsounds.com

3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
I'm not sure I understand some of the negativity here (MusicProducer) about Jay offering to answer questions. He was hired to answer EW questions on various forums with full discloser of his company association. That seems like a step in the right direction...and he's chastised for making himself available to answer questions???

Gearslutz is kinda wacky sometimes...

It seems you are talking about me so I could not resist to respond.
Have you read the whole thread or just a couple of snippets? tutt
Be free to quote me next time so we all know what you mean.

The negativity or how I see it as anger from my side is that East West did not answer one of my questions yet. It's waist of time to post all these messages when you are not sure if you really get any help.

I am surprised you have managed to post the name Toontrack 3 times in 7 sentences. Interesting....
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicProducer View Post
It seems you are talking about me so I could not resist to respond.
Have you read the whole thread or just a couple of snippets? tutt
Be free to quote me next time so we all know what you mean.
OK, I just said you were being negative. But, if you want me to quote you...ok...

Quote:
The negativity or how I see it as anger from my side...
Quote:
...East West did not answer one of my questions yet. It's waist of time to post all these messages when you are not sure if you really get any help.
Do you mean questions like these?

Quote:
Questions:

1.) Why is every other most simple program working on my 64bit except EWQL symphonic choirs?

2.) Why do I not get a free update to Play. I already paid for the software and I think another extra $100 is not worth it.
Are these rhetorical or are you serious? If a user of a Toontrack product asked those type of questions on the Toontrack forum I would first ask to offer more than just 'most simple program working'. I don't think a program like EWQL choirs is 'simple' by any means. Like Jay pointed out, you would need to provide more info if you want any kind of serious answer. Oh, I don't know, like your system specs (saying '64-bit' just doesn't cut it) as well as under what circumstances that the 'problem' occurs. But your kind and so helpful reply when asked for more info was:

Quote:
What part of not working did you not understand?
Of course, if you're just taking the piss, and your questions are just trying to fan the flames of hostility, then, cool, fan away.

Quote:
I am surprised you have managed to post the name Toontrack 3 times in 7 sentences. Interesting....
Seriously? Are you 12 or something?
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear nut

Code:
Because here on my rig in Logic Pro 9 it DOES work.
Great. so when can we expect the Pc/non logic support person EW have hired to chime in?

Sorry Jay, nothing personal of course. you seem like a reasonably cool guy regardless

Best,
midi.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post
LOL!

OK, thanks for educating me on that. It is now in my signature and hopefully will show up.

But it is not exactly an aid to concise expression, is it?

OK, this is not a one-liner. Why is it not showing up?
You're welcome. I'd say put you're sig back and give it some time to propagate. Last time I changed mine, it took a long time to make it to my old posts. That shouldn't be as much of an issue with a new account, but who knows. Remember what Jules wrote. It's only going to show up once per page, and not at all on one-liners. If you had or have left it, it should eventually show up on your first post of this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Seriously???? Does it bother you that much? You the Fu*kin GS police? sorry, but this is just irritating...
It's just the rules. And yes, I am the police for me, not to mention speaking for the shy, helpless and down-trodden. If I don't, then who will? It is funny though, that your irritation seems to well exceed my bother. Man, this super-hero git-up sure is itchy.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

I duuno this thread appears tangled to a Titanic degree .

Seems (at least to me) like "a door" was opened that here to fore was not. At that point those pissed at East/West had two choices.

a) To see if that open door could perhaps provide some solutions. Maybe it could, maybe not. That appears at this point to be moot. Or of course...

b) Slam that door shut so hard as to intend to do harm to the messenger. Which appears to be the outcome.

I've used Gold and Silver, Storm Drums and Percussion Adventures since the dawn of history. That said I have NEVER been to excited about "Play". I guess I saw this as a golden opportunity instead of a chance to punch someone in the nose.

My twisted 2 cents
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear addict

niiiiiiiiiice.

12 hours into a post offering help to PLAY users and this thread is already taking on water at a rapid pace.

There are plenty of other EW gripe threads - how 'bout airing your grievances in one of those and leave this one for people that actually want help?
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Glider View Post
Code:
Because here on my rig in Logic Pro 9 it DOES work.
Great. so when can we expect the Pc/non logic support person EW have hired to chime in?

Sorry Jay, nothing personal of course. you seem like a reasonably cool guy regardless

Best,
midi.
Understood, Midi Glider.

As I said, I am not here as a tech support guy, although if it pertains to Play with Logic Pro and VE Pro or Plogue Bidule I may well be quite qualified to help. I am here to facilitate people getting answers if they are having specific Play problems and not getting them for whatever reasons and to give you information that EW deems important for you to know that you might not otherwise get accurately.

I cannot stress enough how important it is though to have very specific descriptions of the issues and the system specs. You don't have to do it here btw. You are welcome to email me at the address in my signature.

jasher@eastwestsounds.com

Logic Certified Trainer and author of "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9"
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear interested

The reality is this , and really it is clear as day.

As places like Gearslutz have become more populated and more respected as a source of opinion about products of all types , companies have started to realise that forums can be a great advertising tool. Nothing sells a product better than 'word of mouth' and you can create this in a forum , especially with the anonymity such a place grants.

This is why I have chosen my user name , this place in a few short years has now turned into commercial radio. Gearslutz is full of 'users' endorsing a product like it is one of its own...... well now we see that it probably is.

Multiple accounts , building 'respect' .... you see some people are starting to work it out , someone with 10 or 20 posts often about the same product is very suspicious and this is how we get to this thread.

Company's are now 'buying' the respect some users have on forums and obviously 'ashermusic' s stock is up high and they are buying.

But let me stop there to say that I don't think there is anything wrong with this , it is a new technology that is being used the same way every other technology has been used - to make money.

I guess for me the 'forum honeymoon' is over , I will never trust anything I read on forum ( I feel stupid for ever having done ) and now we consumers must go back to the old 'see it to believe it' before buying anything.

Good luck Jay Asher for you are a pioneer , you are one of the first to virtually sell yourself out. Now I'm off to create another user and create some 'mad' respect , how much is my virtual self worth ?
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

I very much doubt that ToonTracks or EW or SSL "love" the bad press from forums such as this. a search through the threads for just about every piece of equipment or software here is complete with endless denunciations and flamewars galore with partisans of either side of the love it hate it divide. Further, if Jules or the mods had issues with their reps participation they would have handled it already. I'll state I don't particularly care for toontracks, but that's just my own experience, and I still have it on my PC. That EW is beginning to relize and take steps to correct an issue in customer service and do so publicly is a step forward for them. Denouncing them for doing so seems counterproductive to the casual surfer or lurker who's trying to figure out what samples or playback engines are best for their needs. I'll give them some time and see how they do- benefit of the doubt it's called. And I don't work for any of these companies, and hope I never do- I Just like using their stuff to create my stuff. Further, Ashermusik, Jim, and s-sibs have been here a damn sight longer than I, and have posted several fix its for some of their products.

As for Joe Porto- search for SSL Nucleus here- there's a whole thread concerning this, it's been ongoing for at least a month.
Then until quantum computing allows Stochastic Reality and isn't just simulating but is rather authentically recreating microsystemic fractal chaos of thermal conductivity and electrophysics, OTB summing it is...

attrib:andonwego
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforadverts View Post
The reality is this , and really it is clear as day.

As places like Gearslutz have become more populated and more respected as a source of opinion about products of all types , companies have started to realise that forums can be a great advertising tool. Nothing sells a product better than 'word of mouth' and you can create this in a forum , especially with the anonymity such a place grants.

This is why I have chosen my user name , this place in a few short years has now turned into commercial radio. Gearslutz is full of 'users' endorsing a product like it is one of its own...... well now we see that it probably is.

Multiple accounts , building 'respect' .... you see some people are starting to work it out , someone with 10 or 20 posts often about the same product is very suspicious and this is how we get to this thread.

Company's are now 'buying' the respect some users have on forums and obviously 'ashermusic' s stock is up high and they are buying.

But let me stop there to say that I don't think there is anything wrong with this , it is a new technology that is being used the same way every other technology has been used - to make money.

I guess for me the 'forum honeymoon' is over , I will never trust anything I read on forum ( I feel stupid for ever having done ) and now we consumers must go back to the old 'see it to believe it' before buying anything.

Good luck Jay Asher for you are a pioneer , you are one of the first to virtually sell yourself out. Now I'm off to create another user and create some 'mad' respect , how much is my virtual self worth ?
Agreed.

This is clear as day: software pimping. End of story.

I actually have no problem with the fact that that is what is happening. BUT I am amused at the double-standard at Gearslutz regarding this. According to Jules: they are actively trying to eliminate that very behavior (by changing the signature stuff, and even banning accounts of people who appear to trespass, etc.) So, I am just baffled exactly how this thread is allowed to function, given these current "rules" about pimping.

Anyway. It's sort of funny.
p.

Labor Camp Orchestra

We Are Working All The Time!
+

>>>>>> FS: api-5500 mint!
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
]So, I am just baffled exactly how this thread is allowed to function, given these current "rules" about pimping.

Anyway. It's sort of funny.
p.

There are so many pimps here on this forum these days. Some even making careers/companies out of business from this site.... shall I name them?

At least this thread is one to help those with problems and that I'm cool with... since I own quite a few EWQL products and PLAY is a bitch indeed.

I'll be using this thread from time to time with PLAY issues....
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
There are so many pimps here on this forum these days. Some even making careers/companies out of business from this site.... shall I name them?

At least this thread is one to help those with problems and that I'm cool with... since I own quite a few EWQL products and PLAY is a bitch indeed.

I'll be using this thread from time to time with PLAY issues....
Yeah: I am cool with it as well.
I am just not cool with the ridiculous posturing about "setting up rules" and then policing them in completely arbitrary fashion. Either rules are there or not. Just seems hypocritical. That's all.
p.
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Would you guys feel better about this if for the duration of my EW employment I discontinued using Ashermusic as well as EastWest Lurker?

The downside is that I cannot help people with problems with other software like Logic Pro that I am knowledgeable about but if most of you feel that there is more transparency and less conflict of interest I will do so.

And btw, I am continuing to paste my signature in because it still is not showing up, even in longer posts.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I don't see why that's necessary. But maybe you should include your new status as EW rep in your Ashermusic signature, if you have not already done so.

Z's hub
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I don't see why that's necessary. But maybe you should include your new status as EW rep in your Ashermusic signature, if you have not already done so.

EW definitely wants that reserved for this name so it will be crystal clear when I am writing as a representative of the company and when I am not.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

As I said, I am not here as a tech support guy, although if it pertains to Play with Logic Pro and VE Pro or Plogue Bidule I may well be quite qualified to help. I am here to facilitate people getting answers if they are having specific Play problems and not getting them for whatever reasons and to give you information that EW deems important for you to know that you might not otherwise get accurately.
I missed this part. Scratch my questions then. Tried tech support, was no help, felt like I was bothering them and really didn't offer any suggestions besides what I already knew to do. So figured would give this one more try in this thread. Don't really understand the point if you are not here as tech support guy, but ohh well. Just will put Play back in the do not use category here. Such a waste of money. Guess will have to just suck it up as a loss.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
EW definitely wants that reserved for this name so it will be crystal clear when I am writing as a representative of the company and when I am not.
Just think the statement is flawed. You don't get to choose when you are being a representative, by which name you sign in under. You are a representative either way as soon as you cash your pay check. Kind of silly to think otherwise.
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowood101 View Post
Just think the statement is flawed. You don't get to choose when you are being a representative, by which name you sign in under. You are a representative either way as soon as you cash your pay check. Kind of silly to think otherwise.
I don't feel that way about it but if enough of you feel this way, I will limit myself to only posting on GS under this name. I am really trying to be as transparent as possible.

Last edited by EastWest Lurker; 3rd March 2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Still no signature showing up.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
I don't feel that way about it but if enough of you feel this way, I will limit myself to only posting on GS under this name. I am really trying to be as transparent as possible.
Personally I enjoy seeing your perspective as ashermusic on Logic topics, ha even though I don't always agree. At the same time, it doesn't mean you are not being a representative of EW. Your the same person no matter what name you log in to, who is someone that is being payed by EW.
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
From the FAQ:

It is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN for anyone to have more than one forum membership (Discovery of alternate or bogus identities will result in a BAN from the site.)

And from the "signature" sticky:

Sig files will appear only ONCE per page now and will not appear at all on short 'one liner' posts. This is to cut back on the dealer / manufacturer over posting, gear "pimping" problems we have as people push hard to get their links out there.

You already have a post on this page with your signature. Why do you feel the need to manually add it to additional posts on the page?

What I would like is for Gearslutz to enforce its rules without bias, and not make exceptions for those who pay for banner adds.
Joe you make fair points. I last read the rules a long time ago and did not realize that GS forbids more than one identity so at least for the time being Ashermusic will go away.

I add the signature info because not everyone reads every post in a thread and I want to be clear that I am a representative of EW. Given the history, I am sure you get my thinking.

Last edited by EastWest Lurker; 3rd March 2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Signature showed up!
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Thumbs down

Quote:
Hopefully, I won't screw it up

Jay Asher
Sales Representative and Damage control
EastWest/Quantum Leap

jasher@eastwestsounds.com
Well, you are screwing up big time.

1.) How many people did you helped so far? I only heard excuses and all kinds of other stupid screw ups everybody knows.

2.) What kind of proof can you give us you are really here on behalf of EWQL?

3.) Why are you keep neglecting the forum rules and we have to uphold them? Something smells fishy here.

EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, you are screwing up big time.

1.) How many people did you helped so far? I only heard excuses and all kinds of other stupid screw ups everybody knows.

2.) What kind of proof can you give us you are really here on behalf of EWQL?

3.) Why are you keep neglecting the forum rules and we have to uphold them? Something smells fishy here.

You are quite welcome to spend your time trying to bait me into fighting with you if you like, but I am not here for that and I am pretty self-disciplined.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

How does one import QLSO sessions which used the original player into the PLAY architecture? EW flat out refuses to answer this question which I've asked over and over again.
EastWest Lurker
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
How does one import QLSO sessions which used the original player into the PLAY architecture? EW flat out refuses to answer this question which I've asked over and over again.
Elambo, unfortunately Since Kompakt and Play are different plugins, and use different file formats, there really is no way other than manually replacing each instrument and re-saving the sequence. Sequencers have no way of knowing intuitively since they are different plugins with different names. It's just the reality of upgrading.

This is not unique. I cannot open a Logic project that had Atmosphere in it and automatically convert it to Omnisphere.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
1.) Why is every other most simple program working on my 64bit except EWQL symphonic choirs?
( Sigh ) . . . probably because Choirs is an incredibly complexed product and your computer isn't up to it ? . . just a thought.

Quote:
2.) Why do I not get a free update to Play. I already paid for the software and I think another extra $100 is not worth it.
Probably because you didn't buy it Six years ago and pay $1,500 for it ?
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd think a software company would have the resources to create their own tech support forum.

So how much is East West paying Jules/Gearslutz to use this forum for their tech support needs?
Quote:
Why is it none of my business? A precedent has just been set here. One that can completely change the dynamics of this forum.
While I've never visited the EW forum, nor do I know if one exists, I do agree.

Jules has set strict rules and he does not make exceptions for one particular manufacturer. I'll have to re-read the rules on this subject.

I understand your concerns Joe. It can change the dynamics but we don't know in which way yet. It could be either negative or positive... For example I was also pleasantly surprised to see a bit more openness from Avid/Digidesign. Companies change and ways to do business can change as well.

Coming here is a way to sell a product, on the other hand, people here want to read about the newest software/hardware, and what's better than to ask your questions directly to the creators?

One benefit is that because it's not their forum they can't censor comments like they can on their own forum. But I also not want this place to become a place where people vent all their frustrations which they can't do on the regular support forums. Just because it's the internet doesn't mean that we shouldn't stay polite and some obviously don't understand this.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'll look into this. I am not sure either that this thread is a good idea, but it appears to me that you're trying to de-rail this thread at any cost, which isn't fair either.

I understand you're frustrated with the EW software that you've bought and it's okay to share you negative experiences with others here, but everybody has at sometime bought something that they regretted later.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
( Sigh ) . . . probably because Choirs is an incredibly complexed product and your computer isn't up to it ? . . just a thought.?
I have a Win 7 64bit i7 with 8gigs of ram. It should be enough. Beer, please note that it's not about that. The question is if I upgrade will the Play software work and if not do I get my money back. This is a pretty fair question don't you think?

Quote:
Probably because you didn't buy it Six years ago and pay $1,500 for it.
Even if you would have bought it 6 years ago I do not think you are entitled to a free play upgrade. Anyway,
I bought it 3 or 4 years ago for $600+ Beer, please understand that EWQL does not give me any options. They say buy our unstable upgrade to Play or buzz off. Well I do not buzz of fuuck
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
I'll look into this. I am not sure either that this thread is a good idea, but it appears to me that you're trying to de-rail this thread at any cost, which isn't fair either.

I understand you're frustrated with the EW software that you've bought and it's okay to share you negative experiences with others here, but everybody has at sometime bought something that they regretted later.
Ok Geert. I respect you and will sign out of this thread.
Laterzz
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search