New Reply
Subscribe
DJF
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Gear nut

Best tape emulator plug

Hello,

I am looking around and trying to find the best tape emulator plug. i have a UAD-2 card and have tried the studer, but was unable to finish the trial because I was busy - now I can't go back! I am also looking at the Fatso, but I haven't trialed it yet. I was also told there was a good tape emulator with Nebula 3. Any recommendations? Or does anyone know of any cheaper or basic free ones?
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

The massey tapehead is pretty darn good for free.
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Bootsy Ferric is very sublte but also pretty good,
Roundtone seems to get lotsa love here,
Tonebooster Ferox just got a facelift even tho' it has been around for quite some time,
Nomad Factory Magnetic gets some good feedback as well (even tho' is everything but subtle..)

These are the cheapest I can think about, never tried Ferox myself tho', been using Ferric since day one (very useful when you spread several instances around the mix, love it on kick, always sits in the first slot of its channel for me)

Also Mellowmuse Satv while is a saturator has a tape algo, I find this last one a great plugin, but the tape is definitely the one I like the less among the 4 available algos on it

There are so many today.. and I'm sure more will come, along with "faux console" type of saturators

my 2c
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

UAD Studer is very good.

AirWindows ToTape is also very capable if you KNOW the sound you want and get into really listening.. which probably you should be doing...lol

Nebula has some good tape programs i hear, but the demo's i tried were not great, apparently the full versions are the business but i didn't wanna splash for 'em without a decent trial....

If you explain to UA that you failed to proerly use your demo period in an email, they will probably let you have another and send you a new auth document to reset your demo... they have done that for me before...

Have fun..

Zz.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
The massey tapehead is pretty darn good for free.
+1
It's good even if you buy it. What is it like $69?
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Help my old man mind...there was another one released two months ago for $19 bucks cant remember name
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Help my old man mind...there was another one released two months ago for $19 bucks cant remember name
That must be Roundtone.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I still prefer the URS Saturation 30ips tape algorithm. It's a brickwall soft-clipper so it's great for slamming stuff into it to make it louder without increasing the level... as such it's the last insert on every channel in my mixer.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
Dunno if I'm just a bit tired of this matter (everyday a new thread like this pops out), but all the tape sims I've heard so far just doesn't sound right. IMHO they all sound like subtle distortion - not "tape". Heard every single one of those plugs, except the UAD which is out of my table. Some of them are useful for....subtle distortion. Maybe some subtle compression. Not "tape".

People are getting very crazy on this issue, so beware of all the "passionate" takes on this subject.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

sorry for bumping this thread, but can someone gives a score in percentage how close all this stuff gets ?
I had a crazy HARDWARE idea dream ! no kidding.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil View Post
sorry for bumping this thread, but can someone gives a score in percentage how close all this stuff gets ?
I have quite a few of these, and I use them all the time. But I don't know how close they get and ... I don't care.

It's like the "how close is this pre to a 1073" discussions. The only questions are a) do they sound good and b) is that a sound you can use.

For me, yes on both.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear maniac

23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJF View Post
Hello,

I am looking around and trying to find the best tape emulator plug. i have a UAD-2 card and have tried the studer, but was unable to finish the trial because I was busy - now I can't go back! I am also looking at the Fatso, but I haven't trialed it yet. I was also told there was a good tape emulator with Nebula 3. Any recommendations? Or does anyone know of any cheaper or basic free ones?
From what I've read, fatso is the best there is. Just like tape and if not mistaken, you can overdrive digital to an analog sound. I could be mistaken.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
I still prefer the URS Saturation 30ips tape algorithm. It's a brickwall soft-clipper so it's great for slamming stuff into it to make it louder without increasing the level... as such it's the last insert on every channel in my mixer.
"make it louder without increasing the level..."

hmmmmmm......
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

what would work, if you need this, is a soft compressor and a slight distortion. You could probably tweak your own to taste if you are not happy with the available options.

The thing that strikes me here is that any tape machine make and model is going to react differently from other makes and models, and any given machine is going to react differently depending upon how it is caled, and all of the tape formulations will sound different in each of these situations... so what are we emulating????? It is basically bullshit. It is like saying we've got a digital plug to emulate the sound of a microphone. Not any particular microphone, just a microphone.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
msl
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
+1

+2
on PSP mix sat. Very smooth

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear addict

PSP's Vintage warmer 2 is also very useful. Still telling myself I don't need McDSP's Analog Channel but I'm sure one of these days I'll cave.

gongbass on instagram

www.Fliktrax.com - Check us out and if you are interested in licensing your music for TV/ADs/Film
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on RoundTone
haven't tried them all but it's the one i like the most so far.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Studer, then VTM-M2, then ferric.

-1 on roundtone and mix sat.

Edit: WAVES MPX ofc.
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for food

Do you guys a/b these recommendations with a real tape machine? Or are these just comparing one plugin to another plugin for deciding what you like ?
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Do you guys a/b these recommendations with a real tape machine? Or are these just comparing one plugin to another plugin for deciding what you like ?
I would think the answer is the later. I wanted to UAD Studer, but I had problems with my computer working with a UAD 2 card, which I can't believe has happened. So now I am trying to find out what my next best option is.

No one mention Heat, but that is for PT only. Roundtone does seem to be talked about a lot, perhaps I will look into that one.
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Banned

Fatso N1! It is not only pure tape simulaton, but also excellent compressor and creative tool generally One of the best plugin as hardware simulation.

For cheaper option, as next- URS Saturation. This plugin has interesting detail, - for individual tra in solo mode it sounds like 'nothing speciall' or even with distorted tone, but in mi these URS Saturated tracks sits very good.
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
+1 on RoundTone
haven't tried them all but it's the one i like the most so far.

+10 on ROUNDTONE. in a word - "FANTASTIC!"
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Gear maniac

DJF
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Gear nut

SoundToy's Echoboy - Tape Delay

Waves' Kramer MPX Master Tape - Tape Master

UAD-2 Studder A800

I think out of all of them the Waves one is the best value for money. It is only $99 and is very versatile. It sounds as good at the UAD one, and has more features - including tape delay.

i have also heard some people talk about Nebula and the Massey one.
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Gear Head

6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have tried or own the following: UAD Studer, UAD Fatso, Roundtone, URS Console Strip, Nebula R2R/TapeBooster, Nomad Factory Magnetic, and Samplitude's Amtrack.

Best: UAD Studer, Samplitude Amtrack
Good: UAD Fatso (the "tape" settings sound nice, but not at all like tape)
Fair: Roundtone, Nomad Factory Magnetic
Not Good: URS Console Strip (not good in any setting)
Don't Understand Why It Isn't Good When So Many People Say It
Is (I'm Probably Doing Something Wrong): Nebula R2R + TapeBooster

This thread is going to turn so bad. -- travisbrown

My mileage does not vary. -- RawBeanZen

It's time to ask yourself the timeless question: What Would Steve Albini Do? -- joelpatterson

What is your problem? -- Silver Sonya

About My Avatar...
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear

Don't know that "tape" is the first thing that springs to mind when I use them, but as far as mild distortions go, the Massey Tapehead and URS Saturation are both really good. I tend to reach for the URS just about everywhere, but use the Massey on snares and kicks. The Massey is a little crunchier. At $69 (not free), the Massey is a no-brainer. The URS is currently on sale for $99, and at that price is equally a no-brainer.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search