Wasted $1400 on a used UA 2610
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

Wasted $1400 on a used UA 2610

IMO this amp is way too colored and vintage and lacks clarity. My Avalon 2022 blows it away on almost any source. I wanted something to compliment it with a little more color, but this just sounds like a cheap outdated amp. I see its highly regarded here, but i think many of you confuse the good music of the 60s with the good recording quality of the 60s. Those bands would be using modern gear if they were making those albums today IMO. Damn.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness008 View Post
IMO this amp is way too colored and vintage and lacks clarity. My Avalon 2022 blows it away on almost any source. I wanted something to compliment it with a little more color, but this just sounds like a cheap outdated amp. I see its highly regarded here, but i think many of you confuse the good music of the 60s with the good recording quality of the 60s. Those bands would be using modern gear if they were making those albums today IMO. Damn.

I have a strange feeling that it's not the 2610
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

It's the 2-610. Should have got a Great River or API. I should start trying things before i buy them.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

have you tried backing the gain all the way down and turning the level up? i have no problems getting "clean" out of this pre.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Gotta agree with the others above, it is possible to get clean out of the 610.

Maybe it's not your style, no biggie...

But "cheap and outdated"...? gimme a break

I am discovering lately that it absolutely excels as a line level coloring device,
something to add size and tone. Plenty of mojo and clarity too. Liking it so
much in this role that I'm not even using it as a mic amp anymore, just as a
line level tone box.

Do yourself a favor and try it in this application before you ditch it. You might
be surprised.
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

ill give it a shot and try it on some drums on monday. My disappointment was how it sounded on 3 vocalists i recorded in the last few days. It did not give me what i wanted. I had the gain at -10. Sounds kind of like my Mindprint DTC which is not a great amp. I love vocals through my 2022 so if the UA can prove useful for something else, maybe ill hold onto it.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
ill give it a shot and try it on some drums on monday. My disappointment was how it sounded on 3 vocalists i recorded in the last few days. It did not give me what i wanted. I had the gain at -10. Sounds kind of like my Mindprint DTC which is not a great amp. I love vocals through my 2022 so if the UA can prove useful for something else, maybe ill hold onto it.
cant say its my go to for vocals, but it always gets used on overheads, guitars, and bass. also, DI keyboards.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

btw, what mic are you using?
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
It should work fine as a vocal pre. Use a bright mic. Using a 47 type with this pre is like wearing a leather jacket over a fur coat. Use a c12 or u67 type mic with it and use it's EQ to boost the top if you have to. The pre has the type of color that makes slight intonation issues not sound like distractions. That's mainly my love for this pre, not necessarily its sound.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i personally have found every single piece of avalon gear to be much too boring and clean to my ears. i have always enjoyed the ua preamps, personally. my aesthetic absolutely falls on the "darker" side of things...but, that is me.

see...that is the great thing about this gig....lots of ears...lots of options.

if the avalon works for you....awesome !!...you got it figured out already...make music.

a strat just ain't my thing....but a tele feels RIGHT.....that is just ME. strat's don't suck (well...some of them do...but that is another thread) unless they suck for the person using them.

use what sounds right...and works...for you.

best,

jchristopherhughes
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I should start trying things before i buy them.
best advice you will get on this thread...or anywhere...and you gave it to yourself.

check out a bunch of stuff...you never know what is right for you until you hear it.

i actually spent years lusting after some neve preamps. i had a pair of 1064's for a few years...they sounded great. then i heard some daking pre/eqs...and my life changed....and the neve's went....many more dakings showed up. i've been happy.

best,

jchristopherhughes
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear nut

I would pay 100 bucks an hour to compare high end pres in a Studio.
Maybe even more.. It's worth the experience.. nothing like first hand experience.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post
have you tried backing the gain all the way down and turning the level up? i have no problems getting "clean" out of this pre.
+1. Level up, gain down, until you find those applications where you need some more hair on them. Otherwise, you may find yourself scratching your head about this one.

The 610 isn't for everyone. I use mine as a bass DI 95% of the time, and then just for a little color to differentiate background vocals and fatten VIs the rest of the time. I do like it, but I happen to have other preamps I prefer more for workhorse duties.

Quote:
I should start trying things before i buy them.
You are trying it out. That's why God made used gear. You can sit on it until either you like it or it makes you sick to look at it, and you should be able to get what you paid if it turns out not to be your bag.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Before gearslutz, my first Preamp was an Avalon ad 2022. It's clean and the best thing about it was the high pass filter and the DI. Not worth the money tho. When I later bought a 6176. It was music to my ears. And if you can't get a clean sound from a 2610, then you've really been accustomed to the clinical sound of the ad 2022. Both great pres, would pick the 610 over the 2022 for vocals any day. And it's a toss up for DI however. I did enjoy the tight,solid state midrange "sound" of the 2022. Cmon tho.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO Those bands would be using modern gear if they were making those albums today IMO. Damn.
really?,

if that were true then your 2022 should sound as nice as some vocals from abbey roads sun king?, or here comes the sun?,

upload a file...

heck i'm sure they'd trade their desks and tape machines to use a 2022 and some nice digital converters....

dfegad

theres a reason it costs a lot to record with vintage gear now and back then,

because it sounds great.....

the V72's and Red47's that the beatles used back in the day were and still are incredible... your statement is foobar
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
sorry you wasted your funds.
try recording with an original console 610 and you'll see what its about.
the 'reissue" you bought ain't there .
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear maniac

UA is prosumer.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

You are right. I will give you 1.000.- for it and you'll be worry free again, ok?
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

It does sound prosumer, I agree. Oh well.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I like the 610.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
UA is prosumer.
Haha, classic Gearslutz!!

Yeh, you have to be EXTREMELY cautious with the Gain. A tiny bit starts coloring a lot. This unit has just soooo much gain which makes it great for dynamic mics.

As mentioned before, try start using it with the gain all the way down.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear maniac

I used to have at the same time avalon 2020 and ua 2 610 ,I sold Avalon to much money to keep it around for the sound that I thought it wasn't worth for me,I am very happy with 2-610.but the best thing as everyone here is proposing try the gear before you buy(you don't get married before you spend some time with the lady )
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

Each turn of the gain switch takes it back a decade in quality. Trying to record my royer 121 with it on an acoustic and with the gain down and level up at max I have barely enough signal.....but it doesn't sound bad.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear maniac

You should bring your unit to a tech.......might not be right.

If you can not get a good sound out of UA 2-610........then there is something wrong.

PS : kids are amazing with the prosumer tagging
Madness008
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I just think it's too colored on vocals for my tastes. Im hoping i will like it on enough instruments to keep it around. Maybe I was being too harsh. But definitely not my cup of tea on vocals.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
UA is prosumer.
You can't be serious.
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

My LA-610 is capable of transparency, even with lots of gain.
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just because a piece of gear doesn't jibe with you aesthetic does not mean that it is a bad piece of gear. Its really just a piece of gear. We've all got gear that we like and use and other gear that we send on it's merry way. You don't like dark gear or 'vintage' tone. Fine, move on.
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
UA is prosumer.
Yup... Gibson, Fender, UA, all shitty prosumer stuff...

These guys from the past were so friggin lost

If only they knew the truth....

27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Used tube gear may sound bad due to bad tubes. Heck, even some new tube gear needs the tubes replaced to sound right.

I use to own the 2610 and the 2022. Both quality pre-amps when used in the right situation. Would I record electric guitar with a 2022? No, not unless I wanted a harsh metallic sound. But with ribbon mics I have gotten some great results with the 2022.

I also happen to have four channels of original UA 610 modules. Like Roundbadge says, it ain't even close. The only thing the reissue has in common is tubes and the number 610. The old UA 610 modules sound huge and present like nothing else I have ever heard.

PS. I have long since sold the 2022 and the reissue 610. Kept four channels of the old UA 610 though, ain't nothing else quite like em.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search