WarrenBeat
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Gear addict

SPL Transient Designer Trial... In my Shopping Cart very soon

5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, it rules. It's pricy but definitely worth it.
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Gear nut

its ok, but a bit artificialy clicky, plastic almost. followed by some saturation can sound better tho. i prefer sonnox transmod far more
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupid stunt View Post
its ok, but a bit artificialy clicky, plastic almost. followed by some saturation can sound better tho. i prefer sonnox transmod far more
I have to agree. I didn't like the sound of it and end up going with the sonnox.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
theother

Have you compared it to the SPL hardware?

I compared the Sonnox with the hardware and deleted it the same day from my drive. No contest. I lost my faith in software (compressors followed by EQ) completely over the last years.

Why settle for something that promises with every update to be almost as good as the real thing when you can have the real thing now?

I'd rather have 2 good real compressors and EQ's than hundreds of plugins that you will buy over 10-20 years and never be happy with, busy updating etc. Don't be fooled by a nice GUI and the support of the hardware company by giving 'their name' to the plugin. They only try to make an extra buck...
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

I compared the Sonnox with the hardware and deleted it the same day from my drive. No contest. I lost my faith in software (compressors followed by EQ) completely over the last years.

Why settle for something that promises with every update to be almost as good as the real thing when you can have the real thing now?

I'd rather have 2 good real compressors and EQ's than hundreds of plugins that you will buy over 10-20 years and never be happy with, busy updating etc. Don't be fooled by a nice GUI and the support of the hardware company by giving 'their name' to the plugin. They only try to make an extra buck...
I thought the subject was the plug in not the hardware. Agree the hardware is good tho.
WarrenBeat
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear addict

SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

The difference is that with two "real compressors and EQs" you are limited to 2 Channels (or you spend 10x time bouncing each track and sending the signal to the pair of EQs and compressors).

I don't know if it sounds the same, I only know that it sounds good, I don't care if it matches the sound.

The same goes to you, don't be fooled by a NEVE logo in a pre, if CLA used Behringer, you would see Behringer in the HIGH END FORUM of Gearslutz, Waves Behringer Series and most people would think that SSL is a venereal disease.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Head

I love the hardware version, so if it's as good as that then I'm definitely interested. I personally think that the free BitterSweet and the envelope shapers included with Cubase and Logic are all pretty good too. Transient shapers are fairly essential to me in my mixing routine.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
The difference is that with two "real compressors and EQs" you are limited to 2 Channels (or you spend 10x time bouncing each track and sending the signal to the pair of EQs and compressors).

I don't know if it sounds the same, I only know that it sounds good, I don't care if it matches the sound.

The same goes to you, don't be fooled by a NEVE logo in a pre, if CLA used Behringer, you would see Behringer in the HIGH END FORUM of Gearslutz, Waves Behringer Series and most people would think that SSL is a venereal disease.
I agree with the beginning, but the end is a strange comparison, no? Neve isn't just a logo, it's a brand. Same applies to behringer. If behringer brought the same quality to the table as a Neve, then yeah, you'd see a waves bundle and top engineers would be using it. However, it isn't, so you don't.

In any case, Transient Designer is great on Kick, Tom, even overheads/rooms (used sparingly) when they are out of control.

7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

how does it compare to the UAD version?
7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo View Post
Believe it or not, but the UAD version sounds closer to the hardware version! I have used the UAD version a lot, but since I don't have an UAD anymore, I bought the SPL version. It works, but it's not as good.
7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Believe it or not, but the UAD version sounds closer to the hardware version! I have used the UAD version a lot, but since I don't have an UAD anymore, I bought the SPL version. It works, but it's not as good.
Opinions seem to vary widely on this.
I've heard from fans on each side who think their version sounds better than the other.
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
I've heard from fans on each side who think their version sounds better than the other.
Of course it is all opinion/preference. I checked out the SPL and the Sonnox and decided I liked the sonnox better to my taste so I went with that one. I'm sure someone can get just as good results with the SPL.
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
I tried SPL Transient Designer plugin and I just can say WOW.

For iLok owners: YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD THE DEMO RIGHT NOW!

With this simple 3 knob plugin I have obtained the kick and snare sound I've ever wanted. Before trying it I thought it would be an agressive envelope modifier.

It's perfect for removing the "sometimes annoying" snare ring sound.

SPL TRANSIENT DESIGNER 2880 PLUGIN - Thomann Cyberstore Español
I have the uad version and I also love using it on kik. Don't know how it compares to hardware but the plug is really good.thumbsup
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

The Scope version of Transient Designer compares favorably to the hardware, and to my ears responds better than the software version if you're not running @ higher samplerates. Sadly the original version's GUI was much better than the current one which mimics their other software, though I think the newer one may have better internal algorithms (and iirc the original version was limited in terms of instances.)
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Use the UA version on kick and snare. Works great.
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Problem is that most of the time, they have either the SPL version or the UAD version, not both.. and another problem is that people tend to defend there purchase, so when they have the SPL version, they say "it's better", but when somebody has the UAD version, they also say "it's better".

I happen to have worked with both, and although I have the SPL version at the moment, I still like the sound of the UAD version much more.. it sounds more like hardware to me.. but.. the UAD version is twice the price of the SPL version.. so you get what you pay for I guess.

Now I'm going to try to remember why exactly did I sell my UAD cards... I'm missing out on some great plugins. Oh wait, I already know again.. I needed the money to buy some native plugins.

I regret the fact that I sold my UAD cards.. some great plugins have arrived from Uaudio that I would LOVE to be able to use. The UAD-2 Satelite looks nice... maybe I should.. spend... money..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search