New Reply
Subscribe
chiimba
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear maniac

Question Installing / Running Logic 9 on External Hard Drive

Hello.

I'm currently trying to setup my Macbook for my brother to take from me for recording purposes (I plan on buying a new iMac i7 but this was a cheap solution for him to get a laptop for school and recording).

It currently has garageband / superior drummer 2.0 and has run fine so far (intel core 2 duo, 2 gigs RAM).

We both purchased Logic 9 and I was going to do the install on the macbook thinking I'd just need 9 gigs but there is 50 gigabytes of stuff to install. He currently has 84 gigabytes available and I don't want to leave him with little room...

My question is whether there would be any problems with installing just the main app on the macbook (assuming 9 gigs of stuff) and then installing everything else on an external hard drive (jam packs, etc). Are certain optional applications only able to install on an internal to run (i.e. delay/space designer/etc)??

If I were to install the entire package on there, could I just move anything I wanted (other than the main applications) to an external hard drive to free up space?

He also has yet to get 20 additional gigs of stuff for superior drummer 2.0, although I read that you can definatley install that onto an external hard drive.

Thanks!
chiimba
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear maniac

hmm no luck so far.. I haven't had access to my macbook or Logic since I'm at work but when I get home tonight I'm going to read back through the install package and probably end up installing most all of it on the computer and the move whatever I can (assuming mainly sound libraries / loops / samples) to an external hard drive.

I'm just not familiar with these big package programs since it's our first one and I wasn't sure what could be moved off of the internal hard drive yet still run fine through the external drive... I could install it all and still have 25 gigs left over, but I assume i can probably move a big portion of that 50 gigs to an external to save space for anything else he might want (which probably won't be anything other than any software required for whatever interface he eventually gets...or anything for a guitar program he might buy but not for awhile)
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear nut

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search