mac pro quad 2.93 vs. octo 2.26
New Reply
Subscribe
guitarheadhunt
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Head

mac pro quad 2.93 vs. octo 2.26

I am looking for advice. I searched the threads and could not find anything specific to situation.
I am running pt8 soon to upgrade to 9. I have been running everything on macbook pro 2.5 core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram. Mixing wise it usually runs pretty smooth.

Here lately I have been doing a lot of composing using several instances of superior 2, sampletank, amplitube and some Ni stuff. Amplitube usually chokes out when I am trying to track with the lowest buffer. So I am using a lot of Vi's to write with. My trustee mac book pro is not keeping up with me.

I saw 2 mac pros on sale a quad 2.93 6 gig ram and 1tb hd for $2,049 and a octo 2.26 6 gig ram and 640 gig HD for $2349. I was wondering which one would better fit my needs. The faster processor or the slower octo.

My gut tells me the 2.93 quad but I want to make sure and see if anyone has any experience with either machine or more knowledge than me.

I know the more cores will get me more plugs and I am pretty sure the quad will get me all the plugs I need during mixing but I am more concern with my work flow during composing using the Vi's and still being able to track vox and guitar with the Vi's in place at the lowest possible latency.

Thanks for any advice in advance
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

In my opinion, if you're using VIs, fewer cores with more power are better than more cores with less. You can't typically split a VI over several cores, so if you load up a huge processor hungry one (say, Omnisphere with 8 patches) it's going to overload the core, even if it's only using 15% of your system's total power. I sometimes run into this issue with Superior Drummer on my 8 core from 2008.
guitarheadhunt
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking. The quad being more powerful would yield better performance with the Vi's.

Does anyone out there have any exp. with the 2.93 quad mac pro that could report how it performs for you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search