Login / Register

Nebula must have
New Reply
Subscribe
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

Acustica website>User Area>My Downloads

You'll also get the the sidechain update. (you'll need to figure out routing in your DAW to use it though. Fantastic on Compressors)

You'll need the Compressor sidechain programs too, here:
• View topic - Nebula Updates Announcements
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

thanks
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Can you explain - i have lost subgroups with the new menu - it is just a long list of presets and it takes ages to scroll through
Just click in the middle on "init" and a nice menu appears! Took me quite a bit to find that out
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Just click in the middle on "init" and a nice menu appears! Took me quite a bit to find that out
Thanks a lot! Cheers
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Acustica website>User Area>My Downloads

You'll also get the the sidechain update. (you'll need to figure out routing in your DAW to use it though. Fantastic on Compressors)

You'll need the Compressor sidechain programs too, here:
• View topic - Nebula Updates Announcements
Do you know how to configure this in logic or protools?

It doesnt seem that obvious to me.

'The art of good management is to keep the people who hate you away from the ones who haven't made up their minds yet'
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear addict

I don't know routing in either of those. I used to use Pro Tools LE, no side-chaining in that. If you read the sidechaining thread at Acustica someone may explain it. I had to ask how to use it in my DAW, It took a couple clarification posts on my part and about a day, but I got it sorted. It wasn't hard once I knew what I was doing.

Good luck and it's definitely worth it
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Do you know how to configure this in logic or protools?

It doesnt seem that obvious to me.
What are you using to port Nebula into Pro Tools? (In case I want back into it.) Are you also able to use it on mono tracks or just stereo tracks?

thanks
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
What are you using to port Nebula into Pro Tools? (In case I want back into it.) Are you also able to use it on mono tracks or just stereo tracks?

thanks
using vst to rtas adaptor FXpansion. works with both mono and stereo.
cheers
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

If I could only get one alexB library, which should I get...

... looking for some mojo, but also can't dull everything too much or anything like that since I'm looking to blanket everything. Looking for the best all-arounder.

So far, looking at maybe mammoth, emt plate, and one of the alexB offerings

Also, I know things are changing rapidly in the compressor department.

... anything recommended as a best desert island comp? I think I'd prefer a bit more mojo than an ssl buss type. Looking to comp mainly vocals and stereo buss (maybe I need 2?)... Not really sure which direction to go. Maybe more like vari-mu or even api... open to suggestions. Running at 44.1 if that matters.
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear addict

I'm very excited about Nebula as I just downloaded it. I was going to get a UAD card but for price and the sound Nebula just can't be beat.

My favs so far are:

EQ: AITB Mammoth (basically a MMP)

Comp: I waiting for the Var-Mu Comp/Limiter (1313 » Blog Archive » VM-Comp/Limiter

Tape: Nebula Studer

Console: haven't really tried any just but I might look into Vintage GMC as mine thing is mastering.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul View Post
If I could only get one alexB library, which should I get...

... looking for some mojo, but also can't dull everything too much or anything like that since I'm looking to blanket everything. Looking for the best all-arounder.
I like the Neve consoles quite often. MWC has nice silky highs and VBC is also on the bright side without beeing harsh with creamy mids and nice smooth bass. My 2ct
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
Console: haven't really tried any just but I might look into Vintage GMC as mine thing is mastering.
Check out the BMQ and VMQ, they are great for mastering. My 2ct
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for this thread. I'd like to request one more piece of information (Fantomen, others) - sample rates of the 3rd party libraries, and the implications.

The reason I ask is the discussion of sample rate conversions in this thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...or-nebula.html

I realize I've been assuming all these 3rd party libraries are sampled at 96k, but that isn't true. I've also realized I don't know all the implications of library sample rates on projects (in the above thread someone mentions that using a 44.1k library in a 96k project doesn't give the best results).

I've read that AnalogInTheBox is all 44.1k. Is that true? Why did they do this?

I've also noticed that sample rates of the 3rd party libraries don't always seem to be included in the product descriptions, and don't understand why.

I also don't understand why some have only 44.1k, some have multiple sample frequencies, and some only 96k.

Thanks in advance for any info. (Want to pull the trigger on 3rd party libraries, but still a little confused...).

Maybe I'm overthinking it.
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

yeah there should be some uniformity and if it was my call, all of these would be 96k. but the guys making the libraries are disorganized

for the price point, I think you are overthinking it. grab the highest quality possible, and get the lower rates ones too

the eqs and some of the comps are killer
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

using 96 khz programs in a 44.1 khz project isn't a problem as nebula does the conversion automatically. I don't really know about the other way round, will try it out though. But yeah all programs should be 96k for nebula imho.

What keeps me from pulling the trigger on other libraries than AlexB for the moment is gain staging. Do all 3rd parties take that seriously ?
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Ok pulled the trigger today on nebula pro 3 ,been um & ar'ing for a while now
got myself some those there eq's
fate,mammoth,coolteq
first impressions....... jeeeez !!! stunning
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Ok pulled the trigger today on nebula pro 3 ,been um & ar'ing for a while now
got myself some those there eq's
fate,mammoth,coolteq
first impressions....... jeeeez !!! stunning
Yep. thumbsup
You must try R2R and AlexB Consoles.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
Yep. thumbsup
You must try R2R and AlexB Consoles.
R2R?
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
R2R?
R2R is a tape effects nebula program - it is excellent

CDSoundMaster.com
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
R2R is a tape effects nebula program - it is excellent

CDSoundMaster.com
Ohhhh, right. Thanks. I have to try those. I'm about to decide between the UAD Studer and the Nebula. But each time this subject is covered in this forum, the UAD discussion takes over and then Nebula fades away. It would be nice if someone compares them from the Nebula's perspective.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ohhhh, right. Thanks. I have to try those. I'm about to decide between the UAD Studer and the Nebula. But each time this subject is covered in this forum, the UAD discussion takes over and then Nebula fades away. It would be nice if someone compares them from the Nebula's perspective.
Well I saw a review by someone who had both who said they were both excellent but the nebula one is only a fraction of the price.
I suppose it also depends on whether you have invested in a quad uad card - I cant bring myself to spend that much on one.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I saw a review by someone who had both who said they were both excellent but the nebula one is only a fraction of the price.
I suppose it also depends on whether you have invested in a quad uad card - I cant bring myself to spend that much on one.
Yeah?
But where's Akai, Teac, Otari... on UAD? Can't beat that.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Even those advantages, Nebula tend to be an uncomfortable program for many people. Is not for the amateurs who need a nice gui. And it does have it's disadvantages, but is a treasure too. I mean, putting 2dB of 12k of Doc Fear in the Master out of a mix...isn't that luxurious?
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even those advantages, Nebula tend to be an uncomfortable program for many people. Is not for the amateurs who need a nice gui. And it does have it's disadvantages, but is a treasure too. I mean, putting 2dB of 12k of Doc Fear in the Master out of a mix...isn't that luxurious?
I think the nebula pro gui looks pretty nice
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I agree. And there're many options for gui.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I've used nebula quite alot, and i've come to like alexb's Modern Tube Console as well as cdsoundmaster's r2r the most.

The preamp suit from alexb is really really nice as well.

And for eq i mostly use Mammoth and German Mastering Console.

You can't really go wrong with any of it

/Jon
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
I agree. And there're many options for gui.
I left you a question in another thread, but it can be answered by anyone who uses AlexB's consoles. I want to know if you really need to put one instance in each track, each bus and master. And if the users really place a Mic Mono, or Line, or Line Stereo, etc, in it's respective places. Sorry for the strange question, but this is still a mystery for me.

To be more specific, a month ago I used the White Console Demo in a mix (one Mic Channel, one Bus and one Line Channel). I placed them in each channel and buses and there was some special shine and deepness in that mix. I'm about to buy one o those "consoles" (waiting for the Paypal funds to clear!!) and want to know how is been used. That's it, end of story.

Last edited by insomnio; 3rd April 2011 at 05:08 PM..
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even those advantages, Nebula tend to be an uncomfortable program for many people. Is not for the amateurs who need a nice gui.
Or professionals that prefer a nice GUI.

I have the R2R and the TapeBooster libraries as well as the UAD Studer. I use both though I prefer working with the UAD. I find it much faster to create the sound I want with the UAD. Of course, occassionally, the exact sound I want is the R2R 15ips Studer so I go straight to Nebula and print the effect. It's great having both but if I had to choose just one I would keep the UAD. Even with just a Duo card I get plenty of instances of the Studer. With a 3GHz quad core the same cannot be said of Nebula and the process of auditioning multiple Neb libraries to find the right sound is slower and less satisfying than adjusting parameters on the UAD.
You have to realize that using the R2R libraries is really just applying presets. You can affect the tone somewhat by driving the input but the sound of each library is either what you want or not. If not you have load up a different library and give that a listen and I find that process more tedius than turning knobs or flipping virtual switches. Each to his own, but like I've said before in this forum: Nebula is better suited to those that have more time than money. It can be had at a great price but what it does to your workflow might not be worth the savings if you're someone who has to work fast or someone who finds that the Nebula workflow interupts your creative flow.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I pulled the trigger on nebula a few days ago ,and yes from a workflow POV it's less than stellar but damn those eq's are amazing ! I'm using them to add a bit of shine, the fate eq is really good ! Still trying to work out how to get nebula to work for me ,I've made some preset saves in logic for a quick recall I may just keep to using eq's as I am happy with the rest of my plugs
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I left you a question in another thread, but it can be answered by anyone who uses AlexB's consoles. I want to know if you really need to put one instance in each track, each bus and master. And if the users really place a Mic Mono, or Line, or Line Stereo, etc, in it's respective places. Sorry for the strange question, but this is still a mystery for me.
Yeah, it's best to apply the whole sound trip as it emulates every stage of the Console.
I don't use it for groups that much. So just line and master buss for me.
There's a render program as well, where you can apply those changes faster.
Don't know about the Mac...
There is a lot of work but the sound you'll get...
Everything gets glued somehow. It's crazy..
Eq's are beyond anything else I have tried. And I have UAD and others...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search