this is my final build:

CoolerMaster Silencio 650
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
16GB-Kit 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-27

1x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro (MZ-7PD256BW) - system
2x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro (MZ-7PD256BW) - sample
3 x HDD WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (Project)
4x CnMemory Airy 3TB USB 3.0 8,9cm (3,5") (Backup)

RME HDSPe AIO PCIe
UAD 2 PCIe
Win 7 HP 64
Cubase 5.5 - 32/64
Komplete 4 / 7 - 32/64
I noticed you chose the 840's. Recently I'ven been advised to go for the 830's as they are a lot cheaper than the 840's. At least, that's so where I live. Might be different for you. If not, be sure to research this.

I've only found evidence of an abysmal speed advantage with the 840 versions, and only in benchmarks; in real life situations the difference will not even be noticeable. As I see it, hardly worth the extra dough. Besides, the 830 already have a great 'track record'. Ugh, terrible unintended pun.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to DAW PLUS
The 840 replaces the 830, the latter are hard to get, only stock leftovers at shops.
The hardware is very different and much more picky regarding SATA3 specs.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Note that Windows Home Premium will not allow you to upgrade RAM if you ever need more.
Hi.
I think about that. In the moment 16GB is enough to start.

When Intel brings a 6core or 8core cpu for the ivy bridge mainboards,
then i will update the hardware with a 6/8core update.

At this time i will think about this:
Windows 9 pro?
32 GB RAM

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbarbaar View Post
I noticed you chose the 840's. Recently I'ven been advised to go for the 830's as they are a lot cheaper than the 840's. At least, that's so where I live. Might be different for you. If not, be sure to research this.

I've only found evidence of an abysmal speed advantage with the 840 versions, and only in benchmarks; in real life situations the difference will not even be noticeable. As I see it, hardly worth the extra dough. Besides, the 830 already have a great 'track record'. Ugh, terrible unintended pun.
Hi.

I Think between the 830 and 840 Basic Version is not so much difference but between the 830 and the 840 pro is more difference.

The 840 pro beats the 830 in many important points.

But you are right, the difference between this drives is not so big.

Thank You
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

yeah also have the 840 pro 256gb, what a little monster. When I got it I thought man can this be real?? It was so light... When you are used to old fashioned disks this a kind of change....
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

I subscribe to this thread e
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Hey guys

I have recently bought a RME FF800 but I'm not sure for wich MOBO to go.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

The Gigabyte has Firewire onboard.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Does anyone have experience with desktop PC cases that have handles on them, such as this one?
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 SGC-2100-KWN1 All Midnight Black Appearance: Polymer, Coated Steel Mesh and Body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Good or bad experiences? Good idea? Bad idea? Portability is important since I'd need to move the PC between two studio locations.

Maybe there are better cases for this sort of duty?
(and I admit: I'm tempted by ADK's "power" laptops, but there's a $$ premium involved for that luxury!)
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTransAm View Post
Does anyone have experience with desktop PC cases that have handles on them, such as this one?
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 SGC-2100-KWN1 All Midnight Black Appearance: Polymer, Coated Steel Mesh and Body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Good or bad experiences? Good idea? Bad idea? Portability is important since I'd need to move the PC between two studio locations.

Maybe there are better cases for this sort of duty?
(and I admit: I'm tempted by ADK's "power" laptops, but there's a $$ premium involved for that luxury!)
Hey man check out stuff from bitfinix. The survivor has handles and it's an excellent case.

When I got Pro Tools expert certification it was like joining a gang the only way out was the same way in... in a box.
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

I kinda wish my case had handles...although I do more than just audio so it's meant for easy upgrades and ease of cleaning. It has air filters for the intake fans and power supply fan. Make sure you guys look into the intake filters.....important for dust. My case is now hard to find... the Lancool K63. More so a gaming case though over an "audio" case. But I only do ITB work so...it doesn't matter how loud the case is.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear nut

Hey guys,

i'm currently trying to set up a new rig so i come to get some advice.

I will do ITB production, little recording and a lot of composition and mockup production with HUGE libraries.

So i'm going:

Case: Fractal Define XL
CPU: I7 3930K ivy
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Champion*
GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 OC*
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR3 2400 MHz CL10
CPU cooler: XIGMATEK Prime SD1484
PS: Coolermaster Silent pro gold 1200
HD: Probably an SSD to put my libraries on but i don't know what's good on the market now. I already have one for my setup.
I want to build a software raid 5 as a backup too.

Case: No question
CPU: Can get advice but seems ok to me
Mobo: Has everything i could need
GPU: Advice needed. Need to plug dual screen easily. Need to be as quiet as possible.
Ram: Need advice. Don't know if i'd better get more with less Mhz or the contrary.
The one referenced here is very expensive.
CPU cooler: seems to be efficient and silent.
PS: Overkill seing my rig? or ok?
HD: Advice welcome

If you can give me some help or tell me on what could i save some money to invest in a more important part...

Furthermore, my current rig is still in good shape, do you think i could use it in some way with my new setup? in serial or whatever...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Busdriver; 14th January 2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Change in Mobo & GPU
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver View Post

Raid 3/4/5/6 are all pure evil. Crappy RAID haters unite! Join BAARF!

BAARF member's
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post

BAARF member's
Raid 0 rules!
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys,

i'm currently trying to set up a new rig so i come to get some advice.

I will do ITB production, little recording and a lot of composition and mockup production with HUGE libraries.

So i'm going:

Case: Fractal Define XL
CPU: I7 3930K ivy
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Champion*
GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 OC*
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR3 2400 MHz CL10
CPU cooler: XIGMATEK Prime SD1484
PS: Coolermaster Silent pro gold 1200
HD: Probably an SSD to put my libraries on but i don't know what's good on the market now. I already have one for my setup.

Case: No question
CPU: Can get advice but seems ok to me
Mobo: Has everything i could need
GPU: Advice needed. Need to plug dual screen easily. Need to be as quiet as possible.
Ram: Need advice. Don't know if i'd better get more with less Mhz or the contrary.
The one referenced here is very expensive.
CPU cooler: seems to be efficient and silent.
PS: Overkill seing my rig? or ok?
HD: Advice welcome

If you can give me some help or tell me on what could i save some money to invest in a more important part...

Furthermore, my current rig is still in good shape, do you think i could use it in some way with my new setup? in serial or whatever...

Thanks in advance!
Looks like a solid build, but GPU appears to be overkill for just two screens and DAW. It's a good one for GPU acceleration of HD video editing. If you play PC games, then that's a different story. Fanless GPU would be just fine (and replaceable, if you don't like).

1200W PSU sounds like overkill to me, if you choose fanless GPU.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post

BAARF member's
i... i don't even...
Could you develop please?

Quote:
Looks like a solid build, but GPU appears to be overkill for just two screens and DAW. It's a good one for GPU acceleration of HD video editing. If you play PC games, then that's a different story. Fanless GPU would be just fine (and replaceable, if you don't like).

1200W PSU sounds like overkill to me, if you choose fanless GPU.
Yep i figured i would finally go for a 1000w PSU.
For the GPU i struggle to take a decision.
I'm working on film and games music and need a decent quality.
Any idea about the RAM? Much for less MHz or contrary?
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to DAW PLUS
Even 1000W is over the top. Do you do gaming or video with that rig?
Currently testing 9 systems, each with an AMD W9000, S400 sync board and Deltacast capture cards. At full load, they eat up 450 Watt. Note that the W9000 eats 125 Watt more than a non OC GTX660.
Decent power supplies are protecting very well against any kind of fluctuation and peaks.
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

1000w PSU are for multiple GPU configuration. no place for them in a DAWcomputer imo.
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear nut

Ok that's nice. I'll go for a 650 or 800w.

Question still open on ram.

Tanks guys.
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok that's nice. I'll go for a 650 or 800w.

Question still open on ram.

Tanks guys.
I don't know the current differences in price between 1600Mhz and 2400Mhz RAM. But regarding Benchmarks and several articles about I read on the web about the matter, you won't be able to notice any difference in every day applications between the two. Imho that may apply to gamer kids that just want get the 0.5% plus in their benchmark score to post them on overclocking forums. But nothing I would spend any extra money on for a DAW machine. Even with games you might be able to get just one or two points more on the FPS score, provided you already have the fastest gamer graphics cards and overclocked your CPU to the limit. As long as you have enough RAM, the extra MHz won't make any difference, because modern CPUs are equipped with enough onchip cache memory to compensate for the difference in memory clock speed.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
1000w PSU are for multiple GPU configuration. no place for them in a DAWcomputer imo.
It may be a waste of money but there's nothing wrong with having power supply headroom, all other aspects being equal. I typically plan on having ~30% more power available than my expected max load. I will tell you that 750 watts is a huge load, even on an overclocked PC with a couple of overclocked GPUs. I used to do OC competitions and have pulled over a KW.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
i... i don't even...
Could you develop please?
Re my comments about Raid 5 (and other similar RAID's).... a quick google search will quickly show you how much RAID 5 sucks. Ask any IT pro who doesn't have their head in the sand and they will agree with me.

My preferred raid is RAID 10, which has an excellent mix of performance and redundancy. People are often drawn to RAID 5 etc because it gives you more storage space with fewer drives, but IMHO that is absolutely not worth it when you consider the MANY drawbacks. I am not kidding when I say RAID 5 is pure evil, I literally feel that way about it, I cannot stand it.
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

For example can someone tell me what's good or not in this computer:
PC de bureau Asus CG8270-FR007S (3640795)

Will I get a better deal building the computer myself?

It'll be used for recording, mixing and a bit of production with Studio One and Protools 10
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

after 3 weeks of trying to make this build work, I finally requested an RMA for the motherboard...then promptly bent the socket pins removing the processor, rendering it useless.

already checked with ASUS, and minimum cost to repair the socket would likely cost more than I paid for the board, and I'm not sure the SATA was working anyway.

reaaaaaaaaaally pissed right now, trying to pick out a replacement

23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Hello everyone. This is my first post on here, ive been reading this thread for a while though.

I need a new audio PC, any advice much appreciated, my old set up is struggling. The DAW ill be using is Reaper, and i use a lot of VSTs, VSTi's.

Im looking at going from Acid Pro on Win XP to Reaper on Win 7 Pro x64. Ive read on this thread that Jbridge should get all my vsts working hopefully.

I use an Edirol FA-66 Firewire interface. I want this PC to be as quiet as possible.

The list ive got so far is:
Case: Fractal Design R4

PSU: I used the power supply calculator and i think a 600w will be enough, i dont know which one , i want something very quiet.

Motherboard: Ive been looking at the Asus P8Z77 range, dont know which is best to get.

CPU: Been looking at Intel Core i5 3570K or the Intel Core i7 3770K
. Not sure if the i7 is overkill, maybe the i5 will do the job fine, ive read conflicting things.

CPU Fan: Something quiet, maybe this? Be Quiet Dark Rock

Graphics Card: The Asus GT 610 1GB is silent so should be ok?

RAM: Corsair 16GB 1600MHz Vengeance Is this RAM fast enough?

Intel 120GB 520 Series SSD for Windows and Programs.

I'll use my current HDD for projects and samples and all other stuff, and ill get a big SSD for this when prices come down.

Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks!
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaco View Post
Hey guys

I have recently bought a RME FF800 but I'm not sure for wich MOBO to go.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

The Gigabyte has Firewire onboard.
I went through this with a rep from Scan computers and he was telling me that there is little between motherboards of the same chipset as most of the bits were proprietry. He advised me to choose based more on the outside conectivity and slots I needed. I found when looking around many very similar boards that varied 40-50 pounds in price.
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear maniac

Here's what I'm about to order:

Intel Core i7-3770, Asus Radeon HD 6450, Corsair 400R - System Build - PCPartPicker

I'm also gonna get an Auria 27" monitor from Microcenter.

My questions:

1. Am I smart to buy that CPU cooler (Enermax ETS-T40-TB) and use it instead of stock?

2. Will that GPU (Asus Radeon HD 6450 1GB) easily handle 2560x1440 via its dual DVI? I know technically it will work, but would I be a lot happier with a GPU that has Displayport? I'm thinking I can always upgrade the GPU when that feature becomes less expensive.

3. I'm including a fairly expensive PSU which is fanless (SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Platinum). In my perfect world, I'd love to be able to track in the same room as this box. However, without much trouble I could put a hole in the drywall and put it next door. So.. if you think I'm never gonna be happy with how quiet this unit is, I may as well throw in the towel and not worry about how quiet it is in the first place. Am I making sense? Is this quiet PSU only going to point out how noisy the hard drive, GPU, etc. are?

Thanks!
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

Well, I don't think that the noise is going to be a problem. I have a PC right next to me with some cheap PSU, aftermarket cooler, SSD and it's almost dead silent. I also have 3 (!) older external HDDs, which make definitely the most noise. And I'm making music with relatively quiet volumes.

I would probably skip the fanless PSU and save my money for a bigger SSD (256gb), I'm cursing my 64gb now all the time. Aftermarket cooler definitely, the stock coolers can be at least twice as noisey (i picked mine for low noise and good performance, cost about 30$).

Depending on your budget, I'd look into even bigger HDD (2TB), you'll thank yourself later when all the stuff is in one place, less power consumption and less noise.

According to the specs, that GPU doesn't have dual DVI. I think that the DVI will be able to handle the large resolutions well enough. Also, I would definitely go for the big monitor if you got the bread, makes life so much easier.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear maniac

ultra, I appreciate your advice and I took it. Except for that I haven't chosen a different PSU yet. I found a motherboard that has Displayport so I don't need a separate GPU. This is the new version. A little more expensive than before but still much cheaper than a comparably equipped Mac Mini!

Intel Core i7-3770, Corsair 400R - System Build - PCPartPicker
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Built my new home studio pc today. I wanted to use it for Animation and 3ds rendering as well as programming so I maxed it out. So far so good (minus DAW)

-i7-3930K
-Rampage IV Extreme
-64GB of 1.5v Ram
-2x Nvidia 690
-1x 512GB Samsung 830 SSD (Main OS, DAW, Essential Programs)
-2x 256GB Samsung 830 SSG (Each contains EWQLSO and Hollywood Strings)
-3x 3TB Seagate HDD (1 Stores all other samples, 1 stores computer apps, 1 data)
-RME Interface (Heart and Soul of My Machine)
-4x 27" Monitors. On one SLI Card
-Windows 8 64-bit (So far so good)
-Cubase 7 (So many hangs on exit so far.... Nothing even installed yet)
-Cooling: Liquid Cooled. Wanted to be as silent as possible and not get as dusty to keep my parts clean. Worth it.

I'll see if I can find pics sometime
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Could it be a good begining?
Materiel.net Psycho Kit - Pack composants de mise
i7 3770K
Asus P8Z77-V
16 Go of Kingston ram
and the integrated HD 4000
Looks well so far. May I ask what type of ram do you use? I found that Interface, Ram, and SSD were the 3 most important things for me in an audio workstation.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search