the "today we build our studio pc"-thread
New Reply
Subscribe
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
I've been building PC's since the days of the Intel 8086/NEC V20 CPU's with 640K of RAM, had a far amount of success building DAW PCs for the last several years. Here's a Sandy Bridge DAW I made a shopping list for. I haven't built it yet, but this is what I will probably build for my next DAW and what I would recommend for my customers and friends. These are all first-class parts from reliable manufacturers that I have used in the past:

GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
(Get 2 of these; OS, Audio)

Sony Optiarc Black SATA CD/DVD Burner

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack - OEM

NORCO RPC-470 Black 4U Rackmount Server Case

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Total comes out to $1092.91 plus shipping for a rack mounted i7 w/16 gig of RAM, 2 hard drives, CD/DVD burner and Win 7 64-bit OS. Features of the motherboard include TI Firewire, USB 3.0, eSATA port & built-in Intel HD3000 video with VGA, DVI, HDMI & Hi-resolution Display Port. It also has 3 PCI slots, PCIe x16 slot, PCIe 4x slot & two PCIe 1x slots which would make it compatible with a lot of different audio interface options. Not a bad deal for this price point. Gotta supply your own monitor, mouse & keyboard.

Here is a link to the Newegg public wish-list for these parts as a whole:

Gearslutz DAW

(for some reason when you click "Add to Cart" for the above wish list it only places one hard drive in your shopping cart. If you want two you will have to manually update the quantity. I can't do everything for you. )
AWESOME MAN ! Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. How will the noise be though? I am worried about having the fans be too loud and stuff. Also, I wanted a pretty solid video card as I am going to do some video work on this machine also. Can you recommend maybe some silent options that I can check out? Thanks again so much!

Ps: I feel like 650 W is a little bit weak, isnt it? This is 750W, is rated great AND is less expensive !
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006
Should i consider going a little bit higher? Oh and also I am not going to be racking it. I need to use a tower :/ Also, I was told to make sure I get good quality RAM. Is that good RAM?
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeyb View Post
Ps: I feel like 650 W is a little bit weak, isnt it? This is 750W, is rated great AND is less expensive !
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Should i consider going a little bit higher? Oh and also I am not going to be racking it. I need to use a tower :/ Also, I was told to make sure I get good quality RAM. Is that good RAM?
650 is fine for this system. The power supply I listed is modular, meaning the cables are all separate and you only plug in what you need, cleaner appearance and better for airflow in your case. The 750 you listed is not modular, it has a big bundle of cables that you're stuck with. For a tower I suggest Lian-Li, you pick what you need for features in their line. DAW's are primarily 2D applications and a hot-rod video card is overkill in many cases. The machines I build and spec are not intended for internet/gaming, DAW only.

"I'll have to check with my Dad about that one. He knows everything, Mom says he's a Know-It-All."
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
I mean I always just wanted to use 96k. I have heard there is a difference between 44 and 96 so I am very interested.

My converter right now is an Apogee Rosetta 800, and I am more than happy with the quality that gives me. My main mic pre is a Great River MP-2nv. So I am happy with my quality with all that, it is more of the medium itself that I am not happy with

As for HP's, I would NEVER use an HP again in a recording studio. As I speak I am typing this on a $3500 HP maxed out, that has been nothing but trouble and I have sent back 5 times. They are a waste of time and are a waste of money.

I appreciate your insight however and will check out what you posted, so thanks man !!!
you should check out Audio Recording | Home Digital Music Production, Studios, Software
brandon does a lot of comparisons of cheap gear vs "good" gear. i have really come around on gear and started to do my own tests. indeed some cheap gear sounds very close to things many times the price.

to me it makes so much more sense to get the basics nailed. mic choice, placement, room.... those things are way more important to getting a recording to sound good. but this is gearslutz! GAS on!

what hp did you get? what is it maxed out doing? i've run a dell, a DIY DAW, MACs, and a boutique DAW. None of them was flawless. the MACs gave me the least amount of trouble. My next machine will be a MAC pro running bootcamp.

and with any complex system i think it's pretty hard to say with 100% certaintly what caused the problem. drivers? hardware? buggy software. you may have also just gotten a lemon.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
you should check out Audio Recording | Home Digital Music Production, Studios, Software
brandon does a lot of comparisons of cheap gear vs "good" gear. i have really come around on gear and started to do my own tests. indeed some cheap gear sounds very close to things many times the price.

to me it makes so much more sense to get the basics nailed. mic choice, placement, room.... those things are way more important to getting a recording to sound good. but this is gearslutz! GAS on!

what hp did you get? what is it maxed out doing? i've run a dell, a DIY DAW, MACs, and a boutique DAW. None of them was flawless. the MACs gave me the least amount of trouble. My next machine will be a MAC pro running bootcamp.

and with any complex system i think it's pretty hard to say with 100% certaintly what caused the problem. drivers? hardware? buggy software. you may have also just gotten a lemon.
My mics I am more than happy with, my room's acoustics are treated, my monitors are decent, my converters are awesome, my pres are phenominal. I am happy with everything in my chain except my computer.

That is why I am going to invest right now in my computer. I say, on with the future! haha

The HP was not a lemon. Their Dv8t series was defective and nothing but trouble. HP has been rude throughout the entire way and caused me non stop conflict. I got a brand new replacement from them after a year of failing to fix it, which had the same problem two months in. You can read all about it here.
HP is KILLING my studio!
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear nut

i'm not talking about the consumer machines.

was that a laptop? or laptops.

i'm talking about what they call "business machines" or maybe they are called workstations. the z series. towers with engineering/business in mind. there is very knowledgble guy at my DAWs forum who starts with i think the z600 series as the base and has shipped them all over the world. he has had less failure with these then anything else. same guy advised me not to DIY DAW. he was right.

i'm just one of those people that believes in testing things with your ears. I don't care who is raving about it or how much it gets used. A/B it and see if you hear anything. then you can work at 192k. my take on expensive gear is i usually like it slightly better. but when 3% costs me 2k i spend in other areas.

i hear foobar is an excellent way to do an A/B. after enough input you can tell statistically if you are guessing or really hearing something.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
i'm not talking about the consumer machines.

was that a laptop? or laptops.

i'm talking about what they call "business machines" or maybe they are called workstations. the z series. towers with engineering/business in mind. there is very knowledgble guy at my DAWs forum who starts with i think the z600 series as the base and has shipped them all over the world. he has had less failure with these then anything else. same guy advised me not to DIY DAW. he was right.

i'm just one of those people that believes in testing things with your ears. I don't care who is raving about it or how much it gets used. A/B it and see if you hear anything. then you can work at 192k. my take on expensive gear is i usually like it slightly better. but when 3% costs me 2k i spend in other areas.

i hear foobar is an excellent way to do an A/B. after enough input you can tell statistically if you are guessing or really hearing something.
Yeah man I got you. Well if you can hear a 3% difference great for you. You're much better off than me because my ears are not that good.

What do you guys think of my specs on this computer?

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Yeah man I got you. Well if you can hear a 3% difference great for you. You're much better off than me because my ears are not that good.

Do you want two processors?

I'd look for a sata III SSD at that price. I'm waiting on SSD for my system.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
why do you want to run at 96k? my DAW does some crazy high sample rates but if i can't hear it why bother. i've seen lots of people talk about a difference from 44.1 to 48k. many believe this has to do with the filter being moved to a bit higher range so the artifacts are outside of people's hearing.

the other thing is...if you are recording you need an interface to support 96k. i expect many would these days.

working at 48k will save you storage space and dsp.

for a stable DAW i would not build it myself. i would get a mac pro or an engineering machine by dell or hp. do not buy the consumer products. i have a very long blog post where i deliberate about these life important decisions. DIY DAW Build | BlueDustStudio / Chris Porro

the machines will start around $1500. a cheap interface (behringer ada 8000) will run you $300. that give you 1k to put in the bank for your next rig upgrade. you know, when you can so clearly hear the difference between 48 and 96k. :D

you can hear the difference between the ada8000 and a fireface 800 here: Syncing Converters for 8 More Tracks | BlueDustStudio / Chris Porro
Why would you buy a computer not capable of 96K? And if you can't hear a difference does it mean others should take your advice for it?

If you move the filters higher(96K) you will reveal more "artifacts" and the normal hearing range is 20Hz-20kHz so whatever is outside that range will not audible to you. All the "artifacts" up from 20kHz are outside of peoples hearing...
The other thing is... you need an interface if you record at 48K. You even need an interface at 44K, imagine that...

48K will save you storage and dsp but with that budget(2800$) you should be able to get a computer that allows you to work with whatever samplerate and bit depth you choose, not just what you're limited to.

I would by a purpose built DAW or build it myself to save some money for a great interface/converter.

You should definitely stay away from all the dell/toshiba/hp computers.

In this day and age, it has been made very easy to build a computer yourself with a lot of recommendations of components all around for DAW.

I would personally go with mac but they are extremely pricey...

Get a good used interface. It really does not matter sonically wheter it's new or used...
I would suggest RME for your budget. They are very reliable and solid and most of all they sound excellent.

Chris, I mean no disrespect but your post really does not make any sense. It's as if you're saying "get an atari, I've had it and it works".
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio ManCave View Post
Why would you buy a computer not capable of 96K? And if you can't hear a difference does it mean others should take your advice for it?

If you move the filters higher(96K) you will reveal more "artifacts" and the normal hearing range is 20Hz-20kHz so whatever is outside that range will not audible to you. All the "artifacts" up from 20kHz are outside of peoples hearing...
The other thing is... you need an interface if you record at 48K. You even need an interface at 44K, imagine that...

48K will save you storage and dsp but with that budget(2800$) you should be able to get a computer that allows you to work with whatever samplerate and bit depth you choose, not just what you're limited to.

I would by a purpose built DAW or build it myself to save some money for a great interface/converter.

You should definitely stay away from all the dell/toshiba/hp computers.

In this day and age, it has been made very easy to build a computer yourself with a lot of recommendations of components all around for DAW.

Get a good used interface. It really does not matter sonically wheter it's new or used...
I would suggest RME for your budget. They are very reliable and solid and most of all they sound excellent.

Chris, I mean no disrespect but your post really does not make any sense. It's as if you're saying "get an atari, I've had it and it works".
Thanks a ton man. So then can you critique this for me? Tell me what is good, what is bad, what needs to be changed. For example, the SSD is not known to run well so get X. The case is too noisy so get X.

Thanks !!
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...bc3f4335490e95
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio ManCave View Post
i expect that's software dependent not computer dependent, yes? my daw does 384 kHz. crazy. i can't figure out why you would ever use that. just saying.

you know, i really should do a quasi scientific test with 44.1 48 and 96.1 then get back to you. i do know i can still hear to 19.5k at age 40. did a lot of ear training where i could reliably pick out 1/3 octave bands by name. i tend to hear things like dog fences and pest deterrents. to bad good hearing doesn't make good engineering. :( some of those guys who only hear to 16k can probably run circles around me.

i don't want him to take my word for it. i want him to listen and see if he hears a benefit.

Quote:
the idea is that bad or extreme filters kick artifacts down into the audible range. bob katz has a good section on this in mastering audio. so the advantage to 96k isn't the added frequencies it's about making the filter less intrusive.

for example, if you record at 44.1 you need a filter at 44.1. well according to the nyquist theorem your frequency range is 20k...right at the end of human hearing. so you have a very steep filter very close to the audible range kicking down artifacts.

i'm not doing bob katz any justice here but that's the jist.

Quote:
what i said: the other thing is...if you are recording you need an interface to support 96k. i expect many would these days.

just didn't want the guy to forget that point. some interfaces may not support 96k.

Quote:
and he may get in some work at higher sample rates...

Quote:
me too.

Quote:
+1. I like mine and it does support 96k

Quote:
wow, first name basis and i didn't even buy you a drink. :D

just my 2 cents on the cost/value of working in 96k. i should have said i'm not opposed to having the option. doesn't most software and hardware support 96k now anyway?
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:

just my 2 cents. did my research about 6 months ago.

i like the power supply being overkill at 1000 watts. from my research a failing power supply or an underpowered one isn't always easy to diagnose.

why are you going with the 1156 socket? aren't most daws running 1366? and i believe the 1366 is a higher performance socket as well. someone correct me. probably have more room for chip upgrades too.

looks like you will be overclocking? if not, you don't need cpu heatsink/fan. ditto for the extra case fan...unless your case doesn't ship with fans or you are replacing it for noise reasons. but fan noise (white-ish noise) bother's me far less then tonal noise (hard drives). so i would swap the fan out on a need to basis. in fact, i'd build the basic rig first and then decide if i needed some of the extras.

the SSD drives are really only going to help you boot fast and maybe with samplers. but i think most samples will try to load up ram not use a SSD. anyone know? SSD drives excel for random access but i don't think the throughput kills standard drives.

btw, i believe the enterprise models from seagate and WD offer 5 year warrentees. velociraptors and barracudas are pretty popular.

for my money i'd rather skip the SSD and get a 1366 motherboard and cpu.

it's worth reading through the comments of newegg or tiger direct for known issues. also, check out what daw builders like ADK are using.

i'd get a 3rd drive for backup.

good luck. let us know how it goes.
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
just my 2 cents. did my research about 6 months ago.

i like the power supply being overkill at 1000 watts. from my research a failing power supply or an underpowered one isn't always easy to diagnose.

why are you going with the 1156 socket? aren't most daws running 1366? and i believe the 1366 is a higher performance socket as well. someone correct me. probably have more room for chip upgrades too.

looks like you will be overclocking? if not, you don't need cpu heatsink/fan. ditto for the extra case fan...unless your case doesn't ship with fans or you are replacing it for noise reasons. but fan noise (white-ish noise) bother's me far less then tonal noise (hard drives). so i would swap the fan out on a need to basis. in fact, i'd build the basic rig first and then decide if i needed some of the extras.

the SSD drives are really only going to help you boot fast and maybe with samplers. but i think most samples will try to load up ram not use a SSD. anyone know? SSD drives excel for random access but i don't think the throughput kills standard drives.

btw, i believe the enterprise models from seagate and WD offer 5 year warrentees. velociraptors and barracudas are pretty popular.

for my money i'd rather skip the SSD and get a 1366 motherboard and cpu.

it's worth reading through the comments of newegg or tiger direct for known issues. also, check out what daw builders like ADK are using.

i'd get a 3rd drive for backup.

good luck. let us know how it goes.
It's an 1155 chipset for Sandy Bridge processors.

I agree about skipping the SSD for now, just for the simple fact that by Xmas, the prices should drop.

That is a good question as to what benefit SSD would have. The only benefit I can see is as you mentioned, loading samples, and also recording many, many tracks of audio. Anyone have the 411? Thanks.
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear addict

Hey guys! To be honest, and i know its going to sound dumb, but I really want to get the SSD. I have used them and really love everything about them.

As for my motherboard, should I get a different one? I thought the one I was getting was really nice, but if it is not going to work I do not want to get it.

How about my graphics card? Am i better off going for a Radeon 5770 or something?

I do not want to overclock my processor and I heard that the Sandy Bridge is meant to be overclocked, so should I not get it? And do I really not need a heat sink or whatever? Thanks so much and if you could help clarify I'd appreciate it !!!
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear nut

ssd are cool. quiet. fast. but expensive. just trying to balance things. and i think unesesary for working with audio. someone who knows this area can tell you about how they rate in terms of data transfer. the sata ratings are max ratings. drives don't actually do that. my older sata 3 drives do maybe 20% less in data transfer then the newer ones.

your cpu will come with a heatsink/fan. you don't need to purchase one separate. unless...you want better cooling for overclocking. i've heard you can purchase CPUs in bulk without heatsinks but that's not relevant to most daw builders.

for a daw i only consider 2 things when i get a video card. i don't want a noisy failure prone fan. had these die noisy deaths on me. and will it support my screen/screens resolution.

you are right to think about your motherboard and i wish i knew something about yours. i don't. me, i'm a scardy cat. if i don't see a certain CPU/mobo getting used for DAWs a whole lot i shy away. i am not so tech savy as to be on the front line.
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Hey guys! To be honest, and i know its going to sound dumb, but I really want to get the SSD. I have used them and really love everything about them.

As for my motherboard, should I get a different one? I thought the one I was getting was really nice, but if it is not going to work I do not want to get it.

How about my graphics card? Am i better off going for a Radeon 5770 or something?

I do not want to overclock my processor and I heard that the Sandy Bridge is meant to be overclocked, so should I not get it? And do I really not need a heat sink or whatever? Thanks so much and if you could help clarify I'd appreciate it !!!
Motherboard is fine. I mean, since they fixed the initial release problems the with the p67, there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as whether or not it's the right motherboard for you, well I'm still trying to figure that out for myself. I can tell you that that motherboard only has two USB 3.0 connectors. However, it won't be hard to add on USB 3.0 PCI card later to add more ports if you need.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to overclock at some point. Most of the BIOS today make it pretty easy. You'll need a quality mobo fan/heatsink when you do. Make sure you try and find a quiet one.

The card in your cart is a Radeon 5770. Oh, and agree cporro quiet card is a must. The 5770 scores well on noise tests as an FYI Mikeey
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear addict

Awesome guys! Thanks everyone for all the help!

So I have taken some advice and with some of my own input, came up with this. What do you think? Where can i cut down and where can I add? Thanks!!

George Necola
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
updated reference system I just built for a client:

Quote:
housing is from thermaltake.. not sure. I didnt order it.
Intel Core i7 2600K BOX, 3.4GHz, LGA 1155, 4C/8T, unlocked
Asus P8P67 PRO (B3), Intel P67 B3, LGA1155, CFX/SLI (pro because it has bluetooth and he has a phone which can control his DAW via bluetooth)

Corsair Vengeance, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL9@1.5V
OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120GB, SATA-3, 2.5 Zoll (for C:\)

ADATA SSD 2.5" auf 3.5" Einbaurahmen (means converts the 2.5" to 3.5")

2x WD VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX, 10'000rpm, 32MB, 600GB, SATA-3 (Raid 0)

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER, E8 500W 80plus Silber
abut 1500 US$
George Necola
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

if someones interested. I just bought this setup for a friend and i can make fotos and document the installation of the components and the OS? interested?
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gear addict

I think anyone building a Sandy Bridge machine should only use the P67 motherboard, not the H67, as you can't overclock on a H67. Sure, you lose video, but you're probably going to use a video card, right?
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsound View Post
I think anyone building a Sandy Bridge machine should only use the P67 motherboard, not the H67, as you can't overclock on a H67. Sure, you lose video, but you're probably going to use a video card, right?
Correct, but I am nervous to overclock as it can sometimes be unstable or create additional noise/heating. Plus, there isnt much need because the processor is still very very strong without it. I am getting the Gigabyte GA 67 which does not have integrated graphics either
George Necola
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

machine is finished and runs stable.

the Coolermaster CM690 is btw. a fukkin nice tower.
FBM
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
FBM
Gear addict

Buy or Build?!

Hi,

When I read most posts related to this topic I miss the possibility we have to go to a pro-computer shop and let a computer been built by a professional.

You can choose what ever components you want and they put it together for you.

The prices are "relative" low compare to supermarket computers, because they are built out of quality components.

The benefits are: Full warranty for some time and a big time saver.

From my experience you pay not much more (maybe 5% and a tip) to let the job been done.

I'm also surprised to see lots of people putting there duo, quad core etc. in the bin, not been aware of the fact that almost all computers from the last 4 years have a 32bits OS running on a 64bits computer.

All they have to do to unleash the monster inside their computer is upgrade to Windows 7 64 en expand the memory.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
How do you know the board has TI Firewire? I've looked at specs and it doesn't say as such.
From the specs @ Newegg

Quote:
Onboard 1394 Onboard 1394 2 x 1394a
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

That doesn't tell me it's a TI chipset.
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
That doesn't tell me it's a TI chipset.
My bad. I actually forgot that chipset mattered with old PT and other bizarre interfaces.
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Gear nut

I posted this in another thread and realized this might be the more appropriate place to post my recent DAW build that is up and running with no issues. Keep in mind this is a first ever DIY build for me:

- Gigabyte UD4 motherboard
- G.Skill 8gb DDR3 1600 ram
- i7 2600k CPU - stock cooling
- corsair 650w PSU
- 64gb Kingston SSD running win 7 32 bit (for now)
- 1TB caviar black recording drive
- 500gb caviar blue sample drive
- LaCie firewire 400 pci card
- antec 300 illusion case

I'm running reaper and run all plugs off the SSD with no issues! Interface is a rosetta 800 (hence the 32 bit OS) and this is truly an incredible upgrade from the pentium 4 2.3ghz comp I was running before! This was mostly a new experience for me but it was so straightforward when putting together I would highly recommend a DIY build to anyone who is considering. Just do your research first! When you consider that the new sandy bridge iMacs are $1999 and still don't compare to a setup like the one I put together for approximately $1100 taxes in it feels well worth it!
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
I posted this in another thread and realized this might be the more appropriate place to post my recent DAW build that is up and running with no issues. Keep in mind this is a first ever DIY build for me:

- Gigabyte UD4 motherboard
- G.Skill 8gb DDR3 1600 ram
- i7 2600k CPU - stock cooling
- corsair 650w PSU
- 64gb Kingston SSD running win 7 32 bit (for now)
- 1TB caviar black recording drive
- 500gb caviar blue sample drive
- LaCie firewire 400 pci card
- antec 300 illusion case

I'm running reaper and run all plugs off the SSD with no issues! Interface is a rosetta 800 (hence the 32 bit OS) and this is truly an incredible upgrade from the pentium 4 2.3ghz comp I was running before! This was mostly a new experience for me but it was so straightforward when putting together I would highly recommend a DIY build to anyone who is considering. Just do your research first! When you consider that the new sandy bridge iMacs are $1999 and still don't compare to a setup like the one I put together for approximately $1100 taxes in it feels well worth it!

Congrats!
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Gear interested

hi gearslutz, this is my first post on here. im french and don't speak perfect english so my apologies for that.

i plan to build a new computer but i don't really know much about it.
i've been reading a lot of information in the last 3 weeks about which parts to choose and now i need some help to find out if i didn't make any mistake, if some things not compatible with each other or not appropriate for music producing.
iwill be doing mostly rap music inspired by outkast and ugk and other greats like curtis mayfield and others and surely will use a good amount of virtual instruments.

so here's what my custom pc should look like:

i7 intel 2600k
asrock p67 pro 3 rev. b
sapphire radeon hd5450 512 mo
2 x 4 go g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl9
1 x samsung spinpoint f3 500 go (for os, apps and misc)
2 x samsung spinpoint f3 1to ( for samples and projects)
samsung sh-223
corsair vs450 watts
scythe mugen ii rev. b
fractal design r3
iiyama e2473hds
windows 7 x64 home-premium

for the graphic card, should i choose gddr2 or gddr3? they are almost exactly the same price. should i be looking into 512 mo or 1 go or does it doesn't matter?

for the hard-drives do you will consider overkill 1 to hard drives for sample libraries and projects?

450 watts psu should be enough for my use, right?
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Finnish
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search