the "today we build our studio pc"-thread
New Reply
Subscribe
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
avoid upgrading to 64-bit on a system that is using old parts since drivers are not always available - check first

This thread should either be taken with a large grain of salt IMO or very detailed for a few reasons:

1 some problems, like IRQ conflicts, are dependent of which slot cards are in, or what plug SATA drives use
2. driver errors (read: parts not working with eachother) are software problems, not hardware problems. Mobos support what is listed on thier specs and most people don't need help reading. So programs versions, OS type, OS updates, and driver versions are more important to know what piece of equipment works with what. Drivers updates can and DO change what works together, so what works today might not work for a future reader.
3 Other seemingly unrelated programs can cause driver problems, conflicts, and other general computer troubles by editing the registry.

Unless all of this information is supplied this info isn't any more useful than picking brand name equipment.

As for product specific 'this doesn't work with this' conflict the first place you should look is the comments on item at newegg.com

I think a more useful sticky would be: how to choose audio PC components. I see that question asked every day, and it is not always answered well.

agreed.

We are rather limited down here in australia in regards to this kind of pc assistance.

i dont want to build a whole pc and then have to nit pick.

i want something as plug n play as possible thats fast, and has 2 PCI (not PCIe) slots for my HD2.

my biggest question mark at the moment is the gfx card clashes? i have no desire for anything remotley flashy in the way of graphics so i just want something clash free and cheap.

are there chances of clashes with solid state hard drives? or does that depend on the sata connections?
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Gear interested

Cool 2x(3x4gb) = (6x4gb)?

Hey Everyone,

I've been a lurker for ages, but as I'm in the process of building a new audio production PC, this thread is very pertinent, so I am making my first post.

Quote:
Here's what I'm planning so far:
------------------------------------------------
MOBO: Asus 1366 X58 Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz 12 MB L3 Cache (Six cores!)
RAM: 2X Patriot Viper Xtreme Series DDR3 12 GB (3 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz 8-9-8-24
Graphics: RADEON HD 5870 1GB DDR5 HDMI Graphics Card
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case with Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX Power Supply
OS HD: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial C300 SSD
Data drives: 3X Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
-------------------------------------------------
What struck me is that though this is my studio PC, I appear to be building a hardcore gaming machine. The graphics card especially seems overkill, but I want to build it and have it last for 6 years, so why not spend an extra $100?

Which leads to two questions:

1) At first I was leaning towards a nice understated aluminum rack-mounted case, but the more I thought of it, the more I wondered if it wouldn't be appropriate to get a full-tower gaming case. I'm a bit concerned with noise, as the case I've chosen has six fans included, but they are all "silent" fans, and it seems beneficial to keep the system cool.

Do you think I would be better off getting a case with more restricted airflow that I could insulate better for sound, or go with the better airflow (and cool looks)?

2) I'm sure you've seen similar threads before, but I'm never satisfied with the responses, which say, "Check out the manufacturer's website," but offer little else in the way of enlightenment.

My dillema:

I want to use all 24GB of RAM that my MOBO will allow, but the best full set I've seen of 24GB RAM is 9-9-9-24. If I get 12GB in 3X4GB it's 8-9-8-24. I realize that if I get the set of 24GB it will be a matched set guaranteed to work well. But, the memory in the 12GB sets just seems better. If I attempt to plug in two sets of 3 into my board, am I kidding myself to think I will still get 8-9-8-24 out of them?

TIA for your feedback!

Last edited by George Necola; 17th January 2011 at 12:47 PM..
17th January 2011
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
What about the financial abuse of dealing with Apple for its no longer innovative hardware and the mental anguish of dealing with Linux and its complete absence of any non-kludgy DAWs?
Cute. I used to make music on Cubase and in Windows 7 it was flawless. Always wanted a Mac though. Subtle things are nicer on the Mac; no virii, nicer screens. You can say Apple no longer develops their hardware, but they engineer everything better then any PC manufacturer ever will. I'm sure the difference between the $160,000 Ferrari and the one that is $240,000 isn't that far off; just the subtle differences.
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
it's just about the ram. if you run win7 32bit you can only adress 4 gigs of ram, with win64bit a lot more.

if I were you, you shuold just wait 5 seconds before building something as the new sandy bridge CPUs are on the way. according to my info they are not faster then the ix - 7xx or ix - 9xx cpus, but the older ones will get cheaper then.
George,

Thank you, and I do plan to wait as long as I can. When do you think the prices will start dropping on the x58s? I am happy to see those mobos have been tested and work great on DAWs.
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
George,

Thank you, and I do plan to wait as long as I can. When do you think the prices will start dropping on the x58s? I am happy to see those mobos have been tested and work great on DAWs.
the CPUs and benchmark have just beeing released. the new CPUs seem to be much cheaper and outperform the i-5, i-7 cpu's (except the xtreme editions).

OCZ just released a Harddisk which has theoretically 550megs write/read. that would be lighting fast as a C: drive and would theoretically hit the SATAIII max-standards (6xy something megabyte write/read).

will put together a combo and post it here asap.

cheers
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Awesome. I am putting together an x87 on new egg and pretty much copied your build on page 1. I am hunting the net for a DAW build guide for these x87 mobos. Is there any such guide where you get all the details on the build process? I am really interested in knowing how to configure the bios, and what needs to be activated and deactivated for the best performance.

Also, does anyone know a ti firewire card i can get on new egg that works? I want the asus sabertooth mobo because i currently have gigabyte and am not a huge fan of their motherboards..so no onboard FireWire for me.
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

http://soundcloud.com/sohail-khan

http://soundcloud.com/sohail_khan/alive-roughmix
George Necola
19th January 2011
Old 19th January 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Awesome. I am putting together an x87 on new egg and pretty much copied your build on page 1. I am hunting the net for a DAW build guide for these x87 mobos. Is there any such guide where you get all the details on the build process? I am really interested in knowing how to configure the bios, and what needs to be activated and deactivated for the best performance.

Also, does anyone know a ti firewire card i can get on new egg that works? I want the asus sabertooth mobo because i currently have gigabyte and am not a huge fan of their motherboards..so no onboard FireWire for me.
any TI FW card should work.
19th January 2011
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

How important is a 3rd party heatsink with the i5 750 Lynnfield Mobo? I have a build that would be under $900 shipped right now and I am wondering if I need a better heatsink than the one it ships with.

EDIT : George, thank you. As usual you have been a big help. I try not to inundate the forum with DAW questions, but this stuff can get confusing at times!
George Necola
20th January 2011
Old 20th January 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
How important is a 3rd party heatsink with the i5 750 Lynnfield Mobo? I have a build that would be under $900 shipped right now and I am wondering if I need a better heatsink than the one it ships with.
no it's ok. you don't need a "better" one.
20th January 2011
Old 20th January 2011
Gear interested

Hi,

First post I'm about to build myself a new studio machine. Here's what I'm getting:

Quote:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE
OS drive: Corsair SSD Force Series 60GB 2.5"
Data drive: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4EG
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1333MHz XMS3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Fractal Design Define R3, Svart
PSU: Corsair VX 550W 80+
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5450 DDR3 DisplayPort 512MB
Optical drive: NEC ND-3520a (salvaged from an older machine)
Thoughts? I'm mainly wondering two things:

1. Whether anyone has anything bad to say about the onboard FireWire chipset (VIA VT6308P)
2. If I should go for the 1600MHz RAM and the Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD instead. In the case of the RAM, I'm thinking it will only be useful for overclocking (which I probably won't)

Cheers
20th January 2011
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzgrowl View Post
As the PNY quadro FX 380 has a fan, would not he PNY Quadro NVS 295 PCIe be a better choice?

Also, a friend has the Gigabyte X58 motherboard and is experiencing shutdowns. He will eventually figure it out but has already changed memory, a drive and now the graphics card.

If he's done all that and there are shutdowns, I'd be curious as to what the system is doing when the shutdowns occur.

I'd put money on the following (in decreasing order of liklihood based on personal experience):
  • internal temp for the system is too high
  • the primary power cable isn't seated 100% properly (sadly, I've seen this more than I care to admit, both with DIY and vendor-built; Dell seems to have the highest frequency of this)
  • defective mobo (though there are usually other issues which accompany this particular cause)
  • defective power supply
Hopefully, your friend has been keeping a log (or at least is observant) of what's going on when the shutdowns occur.

Since we're talking about what to do or not do, I'd like to include the need for smart case fan selection. This is especially true if you're going to keep the system in the same room as where you're recording your tracks. Not all fans are created equal and I've had the best luck with the Scythe, Noctua, and Antec fans. Since most of the fans out there have some form of variable fan control, it's usually worth the investment to grab a good fan controller (or use one of the multitude of apps or mobos that support this feature). If you've done your homework, then being able to undervolt or turn off a fan or two will really help your recording environment without increasing the risk caused by temperature build up within the case.

Speaking of which, another thing that should go without saying, but needs to be mentioned regardless is good cabling practices. It plays a greater role in the regulation of temperatures than most people think, and it makes for a cleaner environment when you perform the eventual HW upgrades that most DIYers perform. It's a small amount of work to do when you build, but the payoff is usually more than worth it (if not for the clear airflow and lack of heat issues, than for the lessened aggrivation if you don't have to juggle with that stuff whenever you open the case).

Just my $0.02.

My Blog - A Man, A Martini, and a Lot of Microphones.
24th January 2011
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtah View Post
Hi,

First post I'm about to build myself a new studio machine. Here's what I'm getting:

Thoughts? I'm mainly wondering two things:

1. Whether anyone has anything bad to say about the onboard FireWire chipset (VIA VT6308P)
2. If I should go for the 1600MHz RAM and the Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD instead. In the case of the RAM, I'm thinking it will only be useful for overclocking (which I probably won't)

Cheers
Looks like a decent system. I'm interested in this one too. The Asus P8H67 has video out onboard right? So why the GPU?
24th January 2011
Old 24th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
Looks like a decent system. I'm interested in this one too. The Asus P8H67 has video out onboard right? So why the GPU?
The P8P67 is a P67 board, so no video out I'm afraid. Unlike the H67, the P67 allows for overclocking. In addition to that, the LE board has onboard firewire and supports IDE devices so that I could salvage and old DVD burner and save a few bucks. It's also the cheapest of the ASUS P67 boards.

As for the system, I've revised it. The final build that I'm about to order looks like this:

Quote:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE
OS drive: Corsair SSD Force Series 60GB 2.5"
Sample drive: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4EG HD204UI
Project drives: 2x1B Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz XMS3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Fractal Design Define R3, Svart
PSU: Corsair VX 550W 80+
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5450 DDR3 DisplayPort 512MB
Optical drive: NEC ND-3520a (salvaged from an older machine)
Changes:
  • added two 1TB drives for project data (in RAID1 for redundancy)
  • sprung for the 1600MHz RAM for overclocking reasons, although it feels like overkill (not a big price difference though)
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

first time building

first, here is my gear:

presonus firebox 24/96k
art tube mp mic pre
audio technica at2020
m-audio axiom 49 controller
krk monitors

daw's
fruityloops9
sonar8

i've been working with budget gear and cpu for some time now so i'm going to be upgrading everything. i'm taking it one step at a time and have decided that my first step NEEDS to be a solid cpu foundation. it's my first time building a computer. this is what i've come up with by doing research and reading the forums. any opinions? anything not gonna be compatible?

mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

cpu: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

ram: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9

hd: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

video: HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

like i said, i've never built one before so any info or opinions would be great.

what operating system would you reccomend? and do i need to add an OSHD? (not even sure what that is). thanks.
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtah View Post
  • sprung for the 1600MHz RAM for overclocking reasons, although it feels like overkill (not a big price difference though)
Did you choose for the 2x RAM option in stead of the 4x RAM for possible expansion in the future?
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear maniac

*cough* Mac Pro *cough*

But honestly, good idea for a thread. Hopefully will help out some of the people having issues with building their rigs. Rock on!
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Head

*Hmmm* CustoMac *Hmmm* ..............
Maybe some one who jumped on a Sandy bridge system can give their specs.......
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0ud View Post
agreed.

We are rather limited down here in australia in regards to this kind of pc assistance.

i dont want to build a whole pc and then have to nit pick.

i want something as plug n play as possible thats fast, and has 2 PCI (not PCIe) slots for my HD2.

my biggest question mark at the moment is the gfx card clashes? i have no desire for anything remotley flashy in the way of graphics so i just want something clash free and cheap.

are there chances of clashes with solid state hard drives? or does that depend on the sata connections?
You are far away, but I offer my help. Computer expert here, 20+ years exp. If you have another computer with email, or we could setup chat or I could even call you if cost is a concern and answer any question regarding building a desktop system, configuring it, and anything else you can think of. Why do you folks buy nice graphic cards for music production? I used to use Matrox 2D cards, lol. Ain't nothing 3D on a DAW unless you playing games on it. You have no need for fancy graphic cards unless you are doing video production, playing games or have an obsession with Audio Visualizer Plugins. Honestly I ran Win7 64 bit on a dell system and it was great. An Optiplex 755. You can get a dell system on a deal somewhere and not deal with the headache of building.

I'm not sure where the concern of a graphics card comes into play with a system. Please read up on whatever motherboard you purchase. I recommend, since you guys are building killer rigs is look up what the overclockers are doing or the hardcore gamers and just build that system (minus the ridiculous graphics cards). Buy all the parts if in the USA from Newegg if you want it easy, or buy parts from eBay if you want it cheap!!!!

I'd say the most important part of a computer is the motherboard. Be sure to get the right motherboard with the right chipset for the current processor. Stay away from VIA chipsets if you can, use intel chipsets. Newegg is an awesome resource for building a machine. Users post reviews regarding a Motherboard, CPU, Memory and conflicts within systems. I would go to Newegg to build a system and get the parts elsewhere. Run Win7 64 bit on your DAW, more memory, it runs better and it can run 32 bit applications no problem. Good luck and please contact me if you need any help.
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Gear interested

User ratings on Newegg: how should one interpret these?

User ratings on Newegg: how should one interpret these?

I don't remember ever seeing a MB that had less than 10% one or two star rating - i.e. more than 10% of users found serious faults.

Is this a sample base issue (the happy do not post positive ratings as much)?

Is this the fact that you have too many amateur builders that actually do not have the competency or patience required for a custom build (including design, sourcing and ensuring compatibility) ?

Given a decent amount of ratings (say, 100 or more), what does a hypothetical 10% dissatisfied (* + **) rate mean to knowledgeable builder - 1%?

cheers, Buzzgrowl
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Gear maniac

I am in the middle of a Audio Computer build as well, and was pumped to see this thread.

The decision I am really struggle with is between the P67 chipset or H67 chipset.

I am not going to be overclocking. I do, however want to make sure I do not limit myself too awfully much in regards to expandability. Typically, the H67 has fewer PCIe slots.

Any thoughts on these 2 chipsets and which would be sufficient. Or if there is too negligible of a gap between them?
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear maniac

mb: asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3.0 sata 6.0gb
cpu: amd phenom ii x4 3.4ghz quad-core
mem: ddr3 g.skills ripjaws 2 x 4GB 1333
psu: ultra lsp 650
hdd: ocz vertex2 40GB SSD (OS), WD sata 6.0gb 1TB 7200 (data)
daw: reaper and ableton
soundcard: m-audio 24/96 (on its way out asap)

not overclocking atm. anyone recommend a good 2 channel interface (firewire or usb) with very nice clear sounding A/D converters? I really only need stereo ins/outs since it is only for my bedroom compositions but I feel that the m-audio converters are slightly cloudy.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Gear addict

I'm on an i7 build and I was really happy to have gotten this last night...
with two OWC Mercury Pro SSDs on SATAII in a Raid0.
30th January 2011
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
This is a bit old but might still be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
One of the considerations for those choosing a motherboard is the number of PCI and PCIe slots. When I upgrade, I'd like to be able to accommodate my Powercore and UAD-1 cards. It would be also interesting to see if it had firewire, and if possible what chip set is used for it.

js
I also wanted a legacy PCI slot and needed a good Firewire chipset so I went for an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 (TI Firewire Chipset). The fact that it came out as either the fastest or the most stable in various regular and overclocking tests didn't hurt either. (Although I am sure there are faster boards now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow
Power: Corsair 850HX 850W
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.6 Ghz
Mem: Kingston HyperX 6GB (3x2) DDR3 1600 CL9 XMP
Video: PowerColor Radeon HD5750 1GB (silent)
Disk: 4X 1GB internal disks (2x Hitachi. 2X Samsung), 2 external disks for storage
Case: Lian-Li casing (Excellent aluminium casing with Ich Bin Stille silencing but not in production any more)
Cooling: CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen2B
Case cooling: 2x Scythe Karma Bay front fans, 1x Papst rear fan.

Audio: PrismSound Orpheus
I did this build nearly a year ago and am still very satisfied with it. If I run out of power at some point I'll upgrade to a 6 core CPU. (Or whatever is interesting by then).

Alistair

"There's a sucker born every minute" -- P.T. Barnum
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
You guys should seriously consider a SSD (solid state drivre) harddisc for your C: harddrive (where windows and the program folders are installed).

They are reliable, quiet, provide the best speed and arent expensive anymore.

The Crucial Real C300 serves me well, I'll never go back to a standard HD for the system disk, SSD FTW
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Yes, about graphic cards.

I totally agree, that we need no 3D 2GB RAM gamer card with 6 fans and huge aluminium termo spreader

Can someone suggest good dual DVI graphic card w/out fans to use with DAW and possibility use video in that DAW (Cubase/Nuendo)? Somewhat from Matrox? I used MGI P75-A8X64, but it's too old and slow for Nuendo zooming

My DAW runs on Intel DG41RQ MOBO (onboard VGA), 2GB RAM, E5300 2.6 GHz 2Core.
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazznfunk View Post
Yes, about graphic cards.

I totally agree, that we need no 3D 2GB RAM gamer card with 6 fans and huge aluminium termo spreader

Can someone suggest good dual DVI graphic card w/out fans to use with DAW and possibility use video in that DAW (Cubase/Nuendo)? Somewhat from Matrox? I used MGI P75-A8X64, but it's too old and slow for Nuendo zooming

My DAW runs on Intel DG41RQ MOBO (onboard VGA), 2GB RAM, E5300 2.6 GHz 2Core.
9800GT Fanless?
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazznfunk View Post
I am using a PowerColor Radeon HD5750 1GB (silent) which is very powerful.

At the time I bought it it was the fastest silent video card. That might not be important to you but it does mean it should be compatible with many things far into the future. The one thing to keep in mind is that it needs a decent power supply.

Alistair
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

I got a passive Sapphire Ultimate 5670 that's way more than enough. $99.
7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Gear interested

Well, I'm in a predicament. I'm torn between 2 processors. Ever since I heard of the LGA1155 mobo recalls, I've decided to not get the 2500k i5 I planned on getting. I then thought on settling with a i5 760 as I would save money and money saved is big for me. And then I researched AMD processors and came across the Phenom II X6 Black Edition which looks better than the i5 760 and is a little cheaper. I see you guys mostly going with Intel and I don't know if that's out of fanboyism or if Intel processors actually have more merit as audio processors than AMDs do. I'm upgrading from a 6 year old AMD Athlon X2 Dual core. I also use many VSTs. Another question: I've been reading up on 64 bit VSTs and can't really get a solid answer on it. Will Windows 7 support FL Studio and my VSTs? I use Colossus, NI Massive, EZdrummer, Waves plugins, Amplitube, etc. Any help is appreciated.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search