Reason 5 > Nuendo 4 ReWire Sync issues...
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Exclamation Reason 5 > Nuendo 4 ReWire Sync issues...

It's not often that I ReWire but I did for the first time with Reason 5 yesterday and found a serious sync issue going on.

I programmed a few VSTi instruments in Nuendo then opened up Reason 5 for a ReWire session for a programmed Piano. Here's what's happening...

If I move the marker to the start of the session and hit play Reason plays a few samples, or milliseconds ahead, ahead of Nuendo. In fact it's bad like a bad DJ in a night club that f*cks a mix up! It's almost like Nuendo takes a little longer to adjust to 'A Clock' of some kind when you hit play. But if put the marker at the start of my patterns, 4 bars in, then they play in sync. In fact placing the marker anywhere but the start ensures a sync between the two... or so I thought. And this is where it gets weirder...

Still in ReWire I go to the Reason sequencer and place the marker on bars and it places the marker slightly off the bar; If I place the marker on 5.1.1.0 the marker shifts back slightly to 4.4.4.236. Despite this happening in Reason a quick glance in Nuendo shows that the marker has been placed correctly.

And to top of the major ReWire issues with Reason 5 is the start and end markers. They save to their positions fine when not in ReWire but as soon as you load Reason 5 in ReWire the Start/End markers default to the first 8 bars!

So i'm not sure if this is a Reason 5 issue or Windows 7 issue but it's happening. I didn't have this problem in XP with Reason 4 so I guess i'll have to test Reason 5 in XP to see.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quick update:

I tried the same project in Reaper and there were no syncing issues at all!

Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
So i'm not sure if this is a Reason 5 issue or Windows 7 issue but it's happening. I didn't have this problem in XP with Reason 4 so I guess i'll have to test Reason 5 in XP to see.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry, but it's not a Reason 5 or Win 7 issue --- I'm running both, and I have no timing issues rewiring Reason into Nuendo here. (Only difference being I'm running W7 x86).

What order are you opening the projects in? If you start Nuendo, open the Nuendo project, then open the accompanying Reason project, you will notice on your transport bar that your tempo will change from "track" to "fixed". Try starting up Nuendo, then open the Reason project, then open the Nuendo project. It sounds like your tempos are very slightly mismatched --- I've seen this happen every now and again --- if you set a "fixed" tempo of eg 110bpm in Nuendo, Reason will sometimes be sitting at 109.990bpm, which will obv cause tempo drift as you play the project. I've found it doesn't happen if you set the tempo using Nuendo's tempo track (ctrl-t by default).
Give it a try anyways -- it's the only thing I can think of off the top of me head.
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response. I've since narrowed it down to one particular project. I'm opening the programs in the correct order too but it isn't a problem with tempo, it's a problem with the markers on both programs not syncing properly.

If I move the marker in Nuendo to 0 the marker in Reason sits a few points after 0 and this is the case where ever I put the marker, in Reason it seems to place itself a few points ahead. If fact if I go into Reason and try to pop the marker on a grid line it shifts a few points forward when I release the mouse button.

It's only with this one project though. And the only thing that's different with this Reason project is that it contains a MIDI file originally from Nuendo it's self.
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I've since narrowed it down to one particular project. I'm opening the programs in the correct order too but it isn't a problem with tempo, it's a problem with the markers on both programs not syncing properly.

If I move the marker in Nuendo to 0 the marker in Reason sits a few points after 0 and this is the case where ever I put the marker, in Reason it seems to place itself a few points ahead. If fact if I go into Reason and try to pop the marker on a grid line it shifts a few points forward when I release the mouse button.

It's only with this one project though. And the only thing that's different with this Reason project is that it contains a MIDI file originally from Nuendo it's self.
That shouldn't make a difference tbh -- I've freely exchanged MIDI between the two before without incident. It's an odd problem you're having, no doubt --- have you tried posting over at Nuendo.com? You're much more likely to run into someone who's encountered a similar problem there . I have had odd Rewire behaviour in the past, not to do with markers/transport bar.

fwiw I usually prefer to keep all my audio and MIDI in the same place, so if I've started something in Reason, I tend to export the MIDI, and then import it into the Nuendo project --- so I'm essentially then using Reason as a big instrument/effects rack. I've found this way of working tends to cause a lot fewer headaches. Of course, ymmv.
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've sussed it!

The MIDI track I exported from Nuendo had a resolution of 480 PPQ, you can set it in a little box that comes up when you export MIDI. It needs to be 240 PPQ, the same as Reason 5.
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've sussed it!

The MIDI track I exported from Nuendo had a resolution of 480 PPQ, you can set it in a little box that comes up when you export MIDI. It needs to be 240 PPQ, the same as Reason 5.
Wow, how strange --- maybe I've just been incredibly lucky, but I've never had an issue with MIDI resolution before --- I will remember that though, just in case it ever happens....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search