Nomad Factory Magnetic-Sound of DASH?
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Nomad Factory Magnetic-Sound of DASH?

This has got to be a joke. This is from thier descrption: With the MAGNETIC, Nomad Factory has captured the essence of DASH technology and made the sound of high-fidelity digital tape recording available in plug-in format.
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Mitsubishi's ProDigi and Sony's Digital Audio Stationary Head (DASH) were the primary digital reel-to-reel formats in use in recording studios from the early 1980s through the mid 1990's. With the MAGNETIC, Nomad Factory has captured the essence of DASH technology and made the sound of high-fidelity digital tape recording available in plug-in format.

What will they think of next ?!?
Old 22nd November 2010
Huh. So it's kind of a fancy bypass control?
Old 24th November 2010
Gear interested

I gave it a shot today since I'm always digging a good saturation plug (and soundtoys' decapitator follow up ain't out yet..)

I dunno about the DASH silliness, but for 50 bucks (til 11/30??) it's a no brainer.

Really versatile saturation machine with some simple EQ and a cool little limiter. You can get some real phat and sparkle with it, the tape speed and grit controls really work, and it's capable of some gorgeous sounds. I love decapitator but everything useful (in my opinion) with that plug is in the first 5% of it's range - just kinda too much for me. Magnetic is what I was wishing 112DB's Redline Pre would be.

It won't eliminate compression or EQ from your vocal chain, but it will pretty things up, and it was rockin' on bass guitar today and really added an ethereal quality to a female vocal that had a little much "edge" for the song.

Seriously, try it before the 30th if you're looking for something in the SPL TwinTube/SoundToys decapitator zone. I'm buyin' it.
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

The DASH setting does roll off the high end above 10k slightly (-0.5dB or so at 20k)...
Old 24th November 2010
Gear interested

It is a good tool.

I used to love using Antares "Tube" a few years ago, but with Win7 64bit, I can't seem to get that program working anymore.

It seems this effect suits my purposes well (as a replacement for that). I would not say it is the "same" (as Antares Tube), but it does have a nice, musically-controllable way of taking off some sterile-sounding, digital edge in a recording (when you want that effect).

So far, I've found it to work well on isolated instruments and full mixes as well.

For $50, I am happy to have it in my arsenal of plugins.

-Cefshah-
www.cefshah.com
Old 24th November 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefshah View Post
I used to love using Antares "Tube" a few years ago, but with Win7 64bit, I can't seem to get that program working anymore.

www.cefshah.com
That was the worst tube emulator ever!!??? You LOVED it?
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

People should stop searching for reasons to keep certain images the way they are and try themselves instead, really.

This thing really kicks ass..seriously! It's a good sounding and fun to use saturator...who cares about the press text?

I've tried, owned, used quiet a few saturation/tape-ish plugins and magnetic is absolutely in the front row!

Try first before you diss!
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

After quite a few hours mixing with Magnetic, my earlier post still stands. Really useful tool for getting some sparkle & sheen, and also some real big warmth. I've liked TwinTube on a lot of things, but it's somewhat limited in its controls. This thing is just crazy useful. Nomad's a real hit & miss developer, but man, this one's a hit.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search