pro tools 9 compatible computer
New Reply
Subscribe
jtwoods4
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Head

pro tools 9 compatible computer

I am an information technology consultant. For years I have built my own computers. I recently ordered pro tools 9. I noticed that the avid website recommends certain computers for use with pro tools 9. These computers are overpriced dell and hp workstations. I'm going to build a custom pc instead. Is there anything I need to watch out for when building a custom pc for pro tools 9? Do the recommended compatible dell and hp computers have anything special that I need to know about?

For example, is there any reason I cannot use an ssd drive. Avid it says they have not tested these drives with pro tools 9. But there is nothing different about how these drives work compared to regular hard drives as far as communication with the rest of the computer.

What about laptops? Are they powerful enough to record 16 tracks without any problems?
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

the big things to look out for are chipsets (nvidia seem to cause problems as will mismatched chipsets), FW cards (TI chipset is essential), drives (speed for internal and FW only for external) and graphics cards.

if you want to learn more than the avid site offers, go an register at the DUC avid forums and look up the i7 thread in the "protools LE for PC" area. i got an i7 custom built to the best working specs in that thread and everything is smooth as butter with it.

there is no black and white with protools on pc and many have success running unsupported systems (i ran LE on a stock dell p4 for a long time) but when you run into trouble and go to avid for support the first thing you'll be told is that your system isn't supported.
jtwoods4
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
the big things to look out for are chipsets (nvidia seem to cause problems as will mismatched chipsets), FW cards (TI chipset is essential), drives (speed for internal and FW only for external) and graphics cards.

if you want to learn more than the avid site offers, go an register at the DUC avid forums and look up the i7 thread in the "protools LE for PC" area. i got an i7 custom built to the best working specs in that thread and everything is smooth as butter with it.

there is no black and white with protools on pc and many have success running unsupported systems (i ran LE on a stock dell p4 for a long time) but when you run into trouble and go to avid for support the first thing you'll be told is that your system isn't supported.
Can you send me a link to that thread? I did a search and there are too many results for custom built PC's
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

jtwoods4
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Head

Your are right that thread is just to much to read (300 plus pages). Can you just send me the specs for your Pro Tools 9 system? I can just build one like yours since you are having no issues.
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

sure,

ill generate a report later when im in the studio and send it over to you. but im still running protools 7.4 here so you'll have to disregard certain things such as OS. all hardware will be compatible though as long as its windoze 7 compatible (im on xp still)

just drop me a PM to remind me
jtwoods4
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
sure,

ill generate a report later when im in the studio and send it over to you. but im still running 7.4 here so you'll have to disregard certain things such as OS. all hardware will be compatible though.

just drop me a PM to remind me
Thank you very very much.
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

email sent. hope it helps.
12th December 2010
Old 12th December 2010
Gear interested

Can I also get a copy of your PC spec? I have also trawled the 400 odd pages and it is very confusing and difficult. Thanks in advance.
Is equal to the Love you make.
13th December 2010
Old 13th December 2010
Gear interested

Hi Rhythmtech Could you send me also your spec or maybe u could post it here?

I thinking also to put together own pc, beside Protools 9 compatible pc parts did you use some special parts to minimize coputer noize level?

I found on other thread info abt this ADK company..
They do compatabible with Pro Tools 9 computers and they have this
specification:
ADK Pro Audio PC, Laptops, Digital Audio workstations for Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude
Not sure if those are owerpriced or not?

Its looks like they have few solutions for computer noize emission also..
I have old pc and its soo noizy.. coolers, harddrives, etc..
I dont have yet proper stuido monitors and studio acustic treatment so its not a big problem yet..
but I hope upgrade my gear soon..
and I'm bit worry that if I want to mix some gentle ambient, orchestra tracks noizy computer could be a problem, probably I should made new thread but while I'm here, what is your opinion abt it?
13th December 2010
Old 13th December 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoods4 View Post
...I noticed that the avid website recommends certain computers for use with pro tools 9. These computers are overpriced dell and hp workstations...
My experience has been that you get what you pay for.

The smartest computer purchase I ever made was the Dell workstation that replaced my previous home-brew computer that had been made from parts recommended in the DUC and elsewhere on the net. Among other things they all are bundled with with a three year next day on-site service contract whereas most other solutions could leave you with at least a week of down time if there is a hardware problem. A great percentage of the folks who buy HP and Dell workstations are developers, scientists and engineers who are far more tech-savvy than most and would be more than capable of building their own if they saw any advantage.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoods4 View Post
I am an information technology consultant. For years I have built my own computers. I recently ordered pro tools 9. I noticed that the avid website recommends certain computers for use with pro tools 9. These computers are overpriced dell and hp workstations. I'm going to build a custom pc instead. Is there anything I need to watch out for when building a custom pc for pro tools 9? Do the recommended compatible dell and hp computers have anything special that I need to know about?
FWIW, start the clock now, and see how long you spend researching and building your PC.

Take the hourly rate you make at your job/you earn from recording, and multiply that by the hours taken.

Then compare the cost to a qualified machine (or a mac for that matter).

I'm not being cocky, I'd just be interested to see what the true cost difference is.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Man.. I don't want to build a new PC... I just want it to work on mine...
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
Gear maniac

Can you post the specs here so we can all see what it takes to get PT running smooth on a custom system?
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomhead View Post
Can you post the specs here so we can all see what it takes to get PT running smooth on a custom system?
+1..I am getting ready to build a new PC for PT and would really appreciate your spec's!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search