BevvyB
12th July 2003
Old 12th July 2003
Mindreader

Send a message via AIM to BevvyB
Groove templates in Logic

I just wondered how many of you guys use the groove features in Logic, such as

a. Quantising one part with the feel of another

b. creating your own quantise templates and using those (especially for 'shuffle' rhthms which seem to be between the 16T on Cubase and the '24' setting on Logic)

c. creating midi notes from a kit recording and using the feel

d. abuse of this stuff to make interesting junk
12th July 2003
Old 12th July 2003
Gear Head

Importing Grooves in to Logic is a feature I have not been able to master. Its something I did all the time when I used Cubase (a feature I sorely miss). Cubase Grooves (even the Atari ones) are very good. I also had a bunch that were included with Studio Vision Pro on a demo download and those grooves were excellent. Sadly I no longer have them now.

Anyway, its something I would like to do, but cant. Will keep an eye on this thread for tips

Regarding your points. A is something I used to do all the time. Now I manually shift notes around which can be rather tedious. D, I do anyway with anything and everything.
Rab
12th July 2003
Old 12th July 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

All the time. For hiphop stuff etc, I'll use Recycle to create a midi groove from the main loop, then use that to quantize bass parts and extra kit tracks. One of the reasons I'm still flying the flag for the Luddites and sticking with OS9...
14th July 2003
Old 14th July 2003
Lives for gear

when you're in the sample edit window you can select the audio part and use - audio to midi groove template -in the functions menu and dont forget to process on user preset.
Audio to score is also quite mad if you try and do it on a whole song ...
14th July 2003
Old 14th July 2003
Mindreader

I miss the 16T shuffle thing on cubase/pro 24

For some reason (and I have had mathematical arguments about this with arseholes who can't use their ears)...

...for some reason 16T on Cubase always sounded like the 'right' kind of shuffle to me, and the Emagic '24' setting has never really done it for me...the 24 setting sounds kind of 'maths' like....a bit like watching my old Physics teacher trying to dance..by the book but wrong..
14th July 2003
Old 14th July 2003
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Stick
I use the 16B-16D (or 8B-D depending on the meter) in the Quantize paramater section in Logic. Those vary the amount of swing, and still feel pretty good to me. I think the 24 is just basic triplets...

And no, I've never taken the dive into making my own grooves... probably should...

Peace,
stick
14th July 2003
Old 14th July 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah. I do it all the time, as Logic's grooves have not changed in God knows when and they are at times not enough. I used to use Opcode Studio Vision in the past and really liked their grooves. The Linn grooves were killer. It's too bad that Emagic hasn't expanded its grooves in Logic since ... Logic 3 (when I first got Logic).

As far as making grooves from audio files, I do this all the time. My only complaint with how Logic does this is that you basically have to guess at how much of the groove you're using to create the template. The process however has worked fine for me with good results.

In logic, I seem to always use 16A over most everything (unless the song is in 3 or 6/8).
15th July 2003
Old 15th July 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Opcode Studio Vision in the past and really liked their grooves. The Linn grooves were killer
YES, thats the one. I lost all those fantastic grooves when I had a drive crash and have not been able to find them anywhere else.

Any Ideas?

Back to the original subject. My favourites groves have to be
Sl Shuffle
Hv Shuffle that were on the Atari Cubase 2.

Logics preset ones all stink. The only happy medium I can find is 16c. Its not quite enough but 16d is a little to much. I have tried editing them but I tend to go up my own ass.

In fact acn anyone tell me how to import a groove in Logic and have it come up on the quantise list. I have asked the users at Sonik Matter but didnt really get a proper answer. It was all rather vague responses
BevvyB
16th July 2003
Old 16th July 2003
Mindreader

aha this is what I wanted
and is now proven by musicians with a feel for what they are doing
everyone is saying the same thing

16b...or c...or d..
24...or t..whatever
and some just aren't as, erm, good...can't explain why though, exactly..

MY GOD the very thing that was the saviour and creator of many things (quantise) has been left to rot for how many years?

While all else has progressed...can't there be some better 'default' quantise?
16th July 2003
Old 16th July 2003
Gear addict

A friend of mine showed me a great way on how to make your own templates.

turn off the metronome in rec mode. don´t even look at the monitor and the SPP. feel free to record whereever you want. when your done, open the matrix editor and take the downbeat and move it to 1 1 1 1 from there adjust the tempo so it matches the rest of the hits as close as possible. Close the window, make sure your midi region is selected, name it and then press your key command for "make groove template" and the new quant template will show up in the quant pull-down window.

For those who don´t like the 16a-f try double click the "qua" to reach the extended parameters such as swing, strength etc etc. this is were it happens.

Jens
16th July 2003
Old 16th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
For those who don´t like the 16a-f try double click the "qua" to reach the extended parameters such as swing, strength etc etc. this is were it happens.
Jens
I agree. As I said 16A is usually my default quanitization, but I rarely use it at 100%. Most of the time, my strength is set to ~40% so that the natural swinging goes on. I also play with the other parameters like swing, etc... The extended parameters is indeed where things start to get deep.
17th July 2003
Old 17th July 2003
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
, open the matrix editor and take the downbeat and move it to 1 1 1 1 from there adjust the tempo so it matches the rest of the hits as close as possible. Close the window, make sure your midi region is selected, name it and then press your key command for "make groove template" and the new quant template will show up in the quant pull-down window.

What were I thinking. The proper way of getting the hits aligned to the grid is to time compress/expand the region by ctrl dragging it. Sorry for the confusion.

Jens
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search