Login / Register
 
Just add to the List of Logic Issues that Drive Me Crazy
New Reply
Subscribe
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#1
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
  #1
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Just add to the List of Logic Issues that Drive Me Crazy

Hey everyone. Sorry know I probably complain about Logic here too much, but guess that's why we are here, to figure out issues.

This one has driven me crazy for awhile. If you start recording then, punch out, Logic s-t-u-tt-ers every time. Issue has been there for awhile, but like normal just gets lost in the mix. If you play then punch in and then out it is fine. But start with recording then punch out Logic will s-t-u-tt-ers.

This sucks for say you want to record then punch out to skip line then punch back in after wards. Can't do it, Logic will s-t-u-tt-ers on punch out.

Am I doing something silly here? Know I could press play then record after wards really quick, but should I really have to do this?

Punch on the fly is on before anyone asks. Sorry for the weird dashes in s-t-u-tt-ers, otherwise it would default to a face.
#2
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,218

phas3d is offline
Just add to the List of Logic Issues that Drive Me Crazy

Are you using the the toggle record key command?
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#3
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
  #3
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Hey phas3d, was hopping I would see you chime in, appreciate it. Yes using record toggle. Say I use the normal record to start then record toggle to punch out, still happens. If I use record toggle to start recording then punch out it does same thing. Obviously can't use regular record to punch out so that doesn't do anything.

Try this on your rig. Arm a track, from a stop start recording, then punch out, does it not st-utter on yours?
#4
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,218

phas3d is offline
It does. I never record this way. That's why i didn't notice it.
Do one thing if you intend to record this way. With the marquee tool select the section you want to punch and out. Now press record and when playhead reaches that section it punches in and out automatically.
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#5
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #5
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
It does. I never record this way. That's why i didn't notice it.
Do one thing if you intend to record this way. With the marquee tool select the section you want to punch and out. Now press record and when playhead reaches that section it punches in and out automatically.
Yeah the marquee tool is awesome for punch ins. Use it often. The issue is more of an annoyance than anything. The example I would use when this is an issue is say you want to get punch in for bar 1 and 3, but leave 2. So you also want your preroll, so you get your 2 bar count in. So You press record, then want to punch out leaving bar 2, but you cant do this and have the artist comfortably play along. Know there is always a work around, but just seems like such a simple thing for Apple to fix. Another example is sometimes, my boss will just have a lot of single notes he wants to punch in. So instead of telling the artist every note he is going to punch in he will just have the artist play along, while he does many punches. If the first part, is part that he wants to record and then do punches later this becomes an issue.

Like I said above you can press play really quick then punch in but just annoying. Also if you want your pre roll on for record, that messes this up also.
#6
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,218

phas3d is offline
The best thing is to use toggle record and record the whole troublesome section and then do the comping. It seems like the best solution. It's what I do anyway. And fortunately you can now edit takes, because in Logic 8 it was a pain.
#7
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #7
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250

radlid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
Hey everyone. Sorry know I probably complain about Logic here too much, but guess that's why we are here, to figure out issues.

This one has driven me crazy for awhile. If you start recording then, punch out, Logic s-t-u-tt-ers every time. Issue has been there for awhile, but like normal just gets lost in the mix. If you play then punch in and then out it is fine. But start with recording then punch out Logic will s-t-u-tt-ers.

This sucks for say you want to record then punch out to skip line then punch back in after wards. Can't do it, Logic will s-t-u-tt-ers on punch out.

Am I doing something silly here? Know I could press play then record after wards really quick, but should I really have to do this?

Punch on the fly is on before anyone asks. Sorry for the weird dashes in s-t-u-tt-ers, otherwise it would default to a face.

Hi try this, see if it does the trick:

So go into your key commands and type " record " in the search window.

remove the key command you have for " record toggle " and then add it to the " record/record toggle " command. That does the tick for me in in Logic 8.
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#8
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #8
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid View Post
Hi try this, see if it does the trick:

So go into your key commands and type " record " in the search window.

remove the key command you have for " record toggle " and then add it to the " record/record toggle " command. That does the tick for me in in Logic 8.
Cool will check it out tomorrow when I am at work! If it works for 8 bet it will work for 9, just know we have had the same issue since then. Will report back after I try it tomorrow.
#9
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,776

Ashermusic is offline
In an example of shameless self-promotion, I will say, Dick, you might want to purchase my book. It is inexpensive.
__________________
Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9"


www.jayasher.com
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#10
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #10
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid View Post
Hi try this, see if it does the trick:

So go into your key commands and type " record " in the search window.

remove the key command you have for " record toggle " and then add it to the " record/record toggle " command. That does the tick for me in in Logic 8.

Bummer! Didn't work. I thought I had tried this but wasn't sure, so got excited that it might work, guessing this is just how Logic 9 behaves. Would be super excited though if there was a way to get it not to do this, so any more ideas I would be happy to try them.

I am talking about a very specific thing. If you start recording immediately and punch out (not stop just punch out), on a session with audio and VIs, Logic st-utters and and drops a few things and then picks it back up after a sec. Is your rig not acting this way? It happens for me no matter what type of recording quick key you use. Below is how my record quick keys are set up if anyone has an idea.

Record *
Record Toggle shift + *
record/record toggle R

I pretty much always use R as my record quick key. Also know there is work arounds, ie press play first. Just would be great if there was a way for it not to st-utter.
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#11
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #11
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
In an example of shameless self-promotion, I will say, Dick, you might want to purchase my book. It is inexpensive.

Are you saying there is a way to get Logic not to do this? Again I am talking a very specific thing. Start recording audio from a stop and punch out with Logic still playing, does it not st-utter for you? Also know there is ways to work around it, has more to do when I am not running the rig. Also just would be nice not to think about how to do something so simple.
#12
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250

radlid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
Bummer! Didn't work. I thought I had tried this but wasn't sure, so got excited that it might work, guessing this is just how Logic 9 behaves. Would be super excited though if there was a way to get it not to do this, so any more ideas I would be happy to try them.

I am talking about a very specific thing. If you start recording immediately and punch out (not stop just punch out), on a session with audio and VIs, Logic st-utters and and drops a few things and then picks it back up after a sec. Is your rig not acting this way? It happens for me no matter what type of recording quick key you use. Below is how my record quick keys are set up if anyone has an idea.

Record *
Record Toggle shift + *
record/record toggle R

I pretty much always use R as my record quick key. Also know there is work arounds, ie press play first. Just would be great if there was a way for it not to st-utter.
Yeah I start recording immediately and then punch out no st-utter. It works here. I'd say maybe remove the key command for record and record toggle perhaps. Also make sure that "Puch on the Fly" is checked.
#13
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,776

Ashermusic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
Are you saying there is a way to get Logic not to do this? Again I am talking a very specific thing. Start recording audio from a stop and punch out with Logic still playing, does it not st-utter for you? Also know there is ways to work around it, has more to do when I am not running the rig. Also just would be nice not to think about how to do something so simple.
Yes.
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#14
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #14
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid View Post
Yeah I start recording immediately and then punch out no st-utter. It works here. I'd say maybe remove the key command for record and record toggle perhaps. Also make sure that "Puch on the Fly" is checked.
Hmm weird. Yeah tried your recommendation of deleting the other quick keys, but no luck. Have any other suggestions? Stuck in a session for the day but will try more things tomorrow. Also Punch on the Fly is checked. Have no problems punching in and out just when you start recording then try to punch out.
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#15
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #15
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
Yes.
Ha well thanks for the help. Maybe I should go around and any time I see someone asking recording tips just suggest they hire me. The funny thing is I am pretty sure I own about every Logic help book on the market, that I know of, except yours. Just like flipping through them when I am bored, always a good thing to learn new tricks.

It is obvious you are here to promote your book, nothing wrong with that. You just might want to actually try to positivly contribute to the forum from time to time so it doesn't come across so obvious. Or you run the risk of leaving such a bad taste in people's mouth, that they purposely choose not to buy your book, like myself.

Anyways thanks for the heads up that there should be at least a way to get it to not stu-tter.
#16
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250

radlid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
Ha well thanks for the help. Maybe I should go around and any time I see someone asking recording tips just suggest they hire me. The funny thing is I am pretty sure I own about every Logic help book on the market, that I know of, except yours. Just like flipping through them when I am bored, always a good thing to learn new tricks.

It is obvious you are here to promote your book, nothing wrong with that. You just might want to actually try to positivly contribute to the forum from time to time so it doesn't come across so obvious. Or you run the risk of leaving such a bad taste in people's mouth, that they purposely choose not to buy your book, like myself.

Anyways thanks for the heads up that there should be at least a way to get it to not stu-tter.
Yeah I have to say Ashermusic not very classy what you're doing there. You certainly don't have to help but to come here and tease and say hey I have the answer but you have to pay me first is shameless as you put it yourself. Perhaps a better way of doing it would have been to say: Here's how you solve that problem and you can find plenty of other helpful tricks for Logic in my cool book for a reasonable price.
#17
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250

radlid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
Hmm weird. Yeah tried your recommendation of deleting the other quick keys, but no luck. Have any other suggestions? Stuck in a session for the day but will try more things tomorrow. Also Punch on the Fly is checked. Have no problems punching in and out just when you start recording then try to punch out.

As a work around try autopunch
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#18
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
  #18
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid View Post
As a work around try autopunch
Love auto punch, but is there a way to set multiple auto punch locations? Because this is my issue. For example i want to start recording immediately then punch out then punch back in. When I punch out it has the st-utter. The really easy work around is just press play first then record right after that. Then I can punch in and out all I want. I can work around it, just is annoying. Also hate when I am not running the rig and have to hear about it from others.

Thanks so much Radlid for the advice on this, really appreciate you taking the time. I was asking another buddy today if he knew a way to not get it to st-utter like this, he just laughed and was like "it has always been that way, just figured it's how Logic was." So getting more and more curious to see how to work it out. Will play with it some more tomorrow morning and check back. Thanks. thumbsup

Also anyone else having or not having this issue?
#19
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,218

phas3d is offline
Guys, if you hit play and hit the toggle record key you won't run into issues. You can hit that key as many times as you like. I don't know why you need to complicate this. Just work simple...
Dick_Money
Thread Starter
#20
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
  #20
Gear addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 406

Thread Starter
Dick_Money is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Guys, if you hit play and hit the toggle record key you won't run into issues. You can hit that key as many times as you like. I don't know why you need to complicate this. Just work simple...

Ohh I agree phas3d. The issue being that I maintain rigs, but am not always the one running them, sometimes, sometimes not. So I have to hear from others about it. I put this out there as kind of a frustrated rant, hoping there might just be some setting that needed to be changed. It just seems like such a silly thing that it does this. Then I got excited when Asher and Radlid chimed in, seeming like there was a way to make it just work either way. So trying to figure that out. Just would be one less "issue" with Logic I have to hear others complain about at work.

If you look just above I mentioned I could just press play and then record, for it to work. Everyone I personally know just accepts this is how Logic works, but would be super cool if it wasn't. Also just seems like something that has been overlooked by apple, but also could be a setting wrong on my rigs, just curious and trying to see which it is.
#21
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,218

phas3d is offline
Can understand that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dick_Money / Music Computers
5
gearmonster / Low End Theory
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.