Waves X Click to remove clicks
New Reply
Subscribe
dougal engineer
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
Gear nut

I've been given a track to master and the mix is great, apart from the obvious that there is very slight audible clik track on the intro with the piano.

I know this is unacceptable for mix but there we go!

The mix cannot be changed as was done at a different studio and he didn't take mix settings on analog desk - not a great decision either.

So I've either got to remix it from the multis or try to get rid of the clik on the stereo file. I'm not a mastering engineer so any help on this greatly appreciated.

I can use x click on a friends rig. Is this worthwhile or am i wasting my time...?

Thanks
8ok
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
8ok
Gear Head

I'd recommend izotope's declicker first - I find the wave declicker sometimes makes it worse/doesn't do much. Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly but I found Izotope's easy to use and very effective.
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
when Waves X Click do not work....try Waves X Crackel
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal engineer View Post
I've been given a track to master and the mix is great, apart from the obvious that there is very slight audible clik track on the intro with the piano.

I know this is unacceptable for mix but there we go!

The mix cannot be changed as was done at a different studio and he didn't take mix settings on analog desk - not a great decision either.

So I've either got to remix it from the multis or try to get rid of the clik on the stereo file. I'm not a mastering engineer so any help on this greatly appreciated.

I can use x click on a friends rig. Is this worthwhile or am i wasting my time...?

Thanks
can we hear a snippet?
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

I have only used the demo a few times, but I was very impressed with their whole line of noise reduction/removal tools - worth a shot for sure!
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Izotope RX and spectral editing, get the demo

Matti
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

I use restoration plugs a lot in my line of work. The waves would be my last pick honestly. It can make things worse and it's a bit behind the times compared to the others. Izotope RX is where it's at and very simple to use. Just loop a part that is just the noise itself,adjust to take it out more or less and balance it out so no offending artifacts are added. I have great results with it. It doesn't add any more artifacts as much as some of the others do. Another one is Sonnox, but it has a steeper learning curve with the gui and options. I like the Sonnox but you have to really get into it to use all it offers and sometimes I don't have the time when I need to deliver on a short deadline.

Just be careful and listen to everything once you feel it has been taken out with whatever plug you use. Sometimes even though things are fixed a pop that wasn't there can be added by the plug if your settings are too much! It's a balance sometimes depending on how bad it is. Read the manuals

RX DEMO would be wise
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

+100 on Izotope RX
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Gear addict

De-click will probably not work for something like this. You need a spectral editor. I can attest to the fact that Izotope's RX suite (which includes a spectral editor) is amazing. Easily on par or better than the Waves stuff. Waves doesn't include a spectral editor, or at least it didn't use to.

With the Izotope spectral editor you'll be able to very easily see the clicks and experiment with varying levels of attenuation. The first thought I had upon using it was similar to what I thought the first time I used a Little Labs IBP or Transient Designer...black magic voodoo, but it works.

Try the demo.

If you're in Pro Tools, the spectral editor or "spectral repair" as they call it is Audio Suite only...for obvious reasons.
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

As an altenative to using a de-clicker, first try to zoom in close on the waveform at the spot where the click is. Often you can see an obvious spike in the wave. If you can see one, then often it's easy to re-draw the waveform with a pencil tool and remove the click completely with no noticeable other change to the audio. I usually try this method first before resorting to a plug-in fix.
Deleted User #43854
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Deleted User #43854

"Click Repair and Denoise plugins" simply the best and cheapest I've found at $40! Brian Davies really knows what he's doing and gives you the best tools for this purpose. You can choose exactly which clicks you want to get rid of on a vinyl for exemple, never touch your transients on drums. The only repair plugins I trust, better than Waves, etc.... Check them out for yourself at: Resurrect your old recordings | Audio Restoration | Brian Davies
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Head

I used Waves X-click, X-noise and X-hum to restore the two CD's Robert Johnson's old 78's. I had mixed results. I'd say they were about 90% clean. A few artifacts left behind bothered me. Should I get the yen, I'd probably have a look into Izotope's noise reduction suite and have another shot at the Robert Johnson collection. I may even take the liberty of adding a little convolution reverb to widen the setting. The purists would be displeased but the resultant sound would be its own reward.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

iZotope Rx Advanced or Wavelab (hit 'r' to bring up the repair tool and zoom in until you can select less than 3ms of audio and start there). Tbh I'd probably try Wavelab first, Rx is great but it's a slower workflow than the Wavelab repair tool.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search