Login / Register
 
Slate Digital VIRTUAL CONSOLE COLLECTION beta 1
Closed
Subscribe
Steven Slate
Thread Starter
#1
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
  #1
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,911

Thread Starter
Steven Slate is offline
Slate Digital VIRTUAL CONSOLE COLLECTION beta 1

Hey guys. This may come as a surprise, but for the last year we've been secretly developing a plugin called the Virtual Console Collection.

What it aims to do is precisely emulate the sound of mixing through a legendary analog desk. We've worked very hard on the algorithms and we're happy to say that in our testing, it was extremely difficult to pick out the real desk verse the emulation in an blind A/B test.

Fabrice Gabriel implemented modeling techniques that capture the entire dynamic response of the desk, meaning that the sound of the desk, (depending on the emulation), can change as you drive it harder.

Its a two plugin package including the Virtual Channel and Virtual Mixbuss. The Virtual Channel is applied to all channels, the Virtual Mixbuss can go on master faders and some groups.

This is a beta version, and it must be shared that users may find some initial bugs. Therefore, this version is being offered for $50 less then the final retail version, and will be updated to the final version when completed for no charge.

We can't track bug reports in this thread, but we will certainly work with you if you post detailed reports at our support forum www.slatedigital.com/forum and via our support ticket system www.slatedigital.com/support. Its probably a good idea to check the support forum to make sure your bug hasn't already been reported.

A demo of the VCC will be posted tomorrow and will be fully functional with the exception of a rather loud and awful belching sound every four seconds. I kid, I kid. It'll have a quick mute every 30 seconds, and this time we'll make sure to have it all synced up so you'll have 29 second bursts of precious audio to test the VCC on. I'm really sorry for those of you who dislike this type of thing and from the bottom of my heart I wish we didn't feel forced to implement it. But this is the policy right now.

These gearslutz announcements have a tendancy to attract people who share their opinions in a somewhat unprofessional manner. We can't stop this, but I do ask that everyone shares their comments, suggestions, and opinions with respect. We'll be glad to return the respect by listening to you, implementing your suggestions, improving things based on your requests, and helping you out with any problems. Our main goal is to receive an email from you telling us how great your mixes sound with our products.

About Console Emulation:
Console emulation is not like adding an eq or a compressor to a source. For the most part, its quite subtle. Running audio through the console circuitry tends to add some minor nonlinearities like harmonic distortion, phase distortion, saturation, and crosstalk. Some people find that these small bits of nonlinear artifacts add a "vibe" to the mix, which is why so many major mixers still prefer to mix through analog desks.

We hope you enjoy the Virtual Console Collection, and make great music. Visit our online shop at www.slatedigital.com to purchase.

Steven Slate
__________________
Steven Slate

www.slatedigital.com
www.stevenslatedrums.com
www.slateproaudio.com
SLATE SUPPORT:
www.slatedigital.com/support

I DO NOT CHECK PM's! Please EMAIL ME instead NON TECH SUPPORT Questions to slate@stevenslate.com

Follow us @ www.twitter.com/slateproaudio
#2
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,496

Silver Sonya is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
Hey guys. This may come as a surprise, but for the last year we've been secretly developing a plugin called the Virtual Console Collection.
Kinda genius opening line.

- c
#3
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,628

noiseflaw is offline
Smile

Yeah whoa! you kept that a bit quiet.

Great news, thanks!
#4
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ruud Unit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 578

Ruud Unit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Kinda genius opening line.

- c
Haha! I laughed. It's the kind of joke that takes many months to set up (no offense intended - I genuinely appreciated the humor)
#5
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
h4nc0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 627

h4nc0 is offline
After all this time, no time-limited fully functional demo? C'mon, guys. That policy sucks.
#6
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #6
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 273

musicianof1 is offline
"Hey guys. This may come as a surprise, but for the last year we've been secretly developing a plugin called the Virtual Console Collection."

I'm caught completely off guard. Why wasn't there any buzz about this?
#7
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Agzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,186

Agzilla is offline
Heh..

Considering the amount of hysteria discussion and heated exchange we've had here over this product in the run up to it arriving on our tables...

There is a remarkable sudden calm come over this site just now with the posting pausing for a moment on this heated topic...

Like when everyone is waiting for their food talking away, then there is that silence of everyone getting stuck in when the plates just arrive...

So, after which we're in for a few drinks too many and the debate will break out again i reckon.... how long? 8 hours? 23 mins?


Love this place..... Must be the cognac and analogue modelling getting to me...





Zz.
#8
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,447

djanthonyw is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
Hey guys. This may come as a surprise, but for the last year we've been secretly developing a plugin called the Virtual Console Collection.


Steven, I'm very excited for you guys. I think you guys are filling an apparent void ITB. I also think offering a public BETA option to those that want it is a really good move!
#9
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #9
Gear interested
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 8

daniel.rauch is offline
Stoked. The purchase portal on the site says "Coming Soon." Am I looking in the correct place?
#10
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
h4nc0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 627

h4nc0 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.rauch View Post
Stoked. The purchase portal on the site says "Coming Soon." Am I looking in the correct place?
Software

At the bottom.
#11
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 8

daniel.rauch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nc0 View Post
Software

At the bottom.
Why thank you sir.
#12
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 191

freaken is offline
Is there a special price for FG-x owners or is it a straight $200?
#13
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Ruud Unit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 578

Ruud Unit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaken View Post
Is there a special price for FG-x owners or is it a straight $200?
While it's in beta, anyone gets it for $200. If you own FG-X, you can still get it for $200 after beta ends.
#14
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #14
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 128

Protoolie is offline
So can we Demo this software or do we have to pat to Demo this software?
#15
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #15
Gear Head
 
kaboomer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 66

kaboomer is offline
Just my 2 cents on the demo protection thing:

I totally understand why people want a fully-functional, time-limited demo, but I actually prefer something like the Airwindows "use this for as long as you want, but we're muting it every 30 seconds", or the FG-X "no saving presets/rendering" scenarios.

That's because I typically don't have one or two days of concentrated time to focus on a mix, or a new plug-in, and often by the time I get around to checking out a new plug, my demo has expired.

I understand that this may be seen as a less "professional" point of view (and I do in fact have a day gig), but I wanted to just mention this anyway.

Looking forward to trying out the VCC!
__________________
"Radio Nowhere? What the hell is that? We wanted him to be a lawyer" — My Mom

Okay, so she didn't like it. But you just might! Loud guitars, award-winning songwriting, and visits from the devil.

Check out singer/songwriter Radio Nowhere and pick up a free EP here.
#16
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #16
Frequency Wrangler
 
CaptainHook's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 560

CaptainHook is offline
I was surprised by how many instances i could run of this at work on our old
PPC G5! I had about 30 of the channel plugs and about 4 or so of the buss ones
going.

After a quick play with it, i'm definitely liking what it does while mixing through
it. Even comparing to some mixes i've done on our neve i was super impressed,
and while mixing ITB with these plugs i was saying "this sounds like a record -
and without much work!". Bypassing the plugs would make the mix fall apart.
Not that it sounded bad without them, but it no longer sounded "finished".

Just curious why there is no mono version of the bus plug? I wanted to use
some on some mono auxes as well as stereo auxes.

Nice job Fabrice and the rest of the Slate Team. thumbsup
__________________
=> York Street Recording Studios <=

"Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore
#17
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
climber's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: new hampshire
Posts: 2,263
My Recordings/Credits

climber is offline
ordered my VCC this evening. download went OK, got the iLok code email, downloaded the license to my iLok, installed the plugin on my Mac Pro, booted up Digital Performer & it works. no time to actually play with it tonight, but I just wanted to say that all the process seems to be in place and functional. looking forward to an hour or so tomorrow to give it a try.
__________________
Al Hospers

Clever Sounds Recording
engineer, producer, composer
have bass, will travel...

------------------------------------------------------
nMP, Slate Raven MTi, Focal 6BE's, ProTools 11 native, ADL600, Focusrite 428, Dimedio, Obsidian, Distressor, BAC500, One LA, Serpent 4001, MAAG 2 EQ, Grace 501, Harrison 32EQ, etc.
#18
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #18
Gear addict
 
s34nsm411's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 470

s34nsm411 is offline
Just pulled the trigger on getting the beta, figured I might as well take advantage of the 50 dollar discount now

only had about 15 min to play around with it but so far I am very impressed! threw it on a kinda mellow rock mix ive been having trouble with and it instantly got much bigger. My cpu seems to be holding up well with many instances as well. Will play around with it some more tomorrow...
#19
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 558

ghetto3jon is offline
hey climber,

i'm trying to figure out if this issue is specific to me. i'm running DP7.21 on OSX10.6.4, and when i hit the "Group" switch or the little arrow next to the group switch, the entire GUI disappears, and i have to restart the plugin. so i can't use the group function at all. does happen for you? i ask because you mentioned DP...
#20
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #20
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 228

telluride is offline
Using it on stems/ sub-mixed tracks along with the mixbuss on the master out.
It adds a nice analog vibe to the material.

However selecting or switching consoles crashes & freezes Sonar 8.5.3. Sometimes closing projects can cause them as well.
Submitted a support ticket.

Minus the crashing am enjoying the results.
__________________


Last edited by telluride; 28th September 2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: update
#21
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
h4nc0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 627

h4nc0 is offline
Just pulled the trigger too.

solved my issue with activation.
#22
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,447

djanthonyw is offline
All you have to do is log into your iLok account and on the left hand side click on the link that says "Redeem License Code". Enter the code that you were given and then you should be able to download the VCC license onto your iLok.
#23
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #23
Gear addict
 
Loopy C's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Valyermo, CA, USA
Posts: 442

Loopy C is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
We can't track bug reports in this thread, but we will certainly work with you if you post detailed reports at our support forum www.slatedigital.com/forum and via our support ticket system www.slatedigital.com/support. Its probably a good idea to check the support forum to make sure your bug hasn't already been reported.
I don't see anything specifically for VCC on your forums? Where would I report or get support for the VCC beta then on your forums or is it 'tickets only' for now? (and I am a logged-in registered member of forum). Thanks ;-)
#24
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #24
Gear addict
 
Loopy C's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Valyermo, CA, USA
Posts: 442

Loopy C is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
hey climber,

i'm trying to figure out if this issue is specific to me. i'm running DP7.21 on OSX10.6.4, and when i hit the "Group" switch or the little arrow next to the group switch, the entire GUI disappears, and i have to restart the plugin. so i can't use the group function at all. does happen for you? i ask because you mentioned DP...
Hitting the 'Group' arrow expands the plug-in window s(up to 3x the VCC width for all panels) so I suspect it is a GUI/plug-in resize problem in DP (I am in Logic).
#25
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #25
Gear addict
 
Loopy C's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Valyermo, CA, USA
Posts: 442

Loopy C is offline
Speaking of Logic (in lieu of a Slate VCC forum at present), anyone else using it? I can't seem to get the 'Group' bypass function to work, the other functions of group (console type, oversample, drive, etc) work fine. (and don't worry Slate, as soon as I know it's not user error I will report it to the 'proper authorities' via your site or support ;-) Just thought I would do a quick check here.
Steven Slate
Thread Starter
#26
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #26
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,911

Thread Starter
Steven Slate is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post


Steven, I'm very excited for you guys. I think you guys are filling an apparent void ITB. I also think offering a public BETA option to those that want it is a really good move!
I think it'll be cool.. I think its gonna be a quicker path to a stable final version then doing a longer private beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
I was surprised by how many instances i could run of this at work on our old
PPC G5! I had about 30 of the channel plugs and about 4 or so of the buss ones
going.

After a quick play with it, i'm definitely liking what it does while mixing through
it. Even comparing to some mixes i've done on our neve i was super impressed,
and while mixing ITB with these plugs i was saying "this sounds like a record -
and without much work!". Bypassing the plugs would make the mix fall apart.
Not that it sounded bad without them, but it no longer sounded "finished".

Just curious why there is no mono version of the bus plug? I wanted to use
some on some mono auxes as well as stereo auxes.

Nice job Fabrice and the rest of the Slate Team. thumbsup
Very cool! Great to hear people with real console experience chime in. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on getting the beta, figured I might as well take advantage of the 50 dollar discount now

only had about 15 min to play around with it but so far I am very impressed! threw it on a kinda mellow rock mix ive been having trouble with and it instantly got much bigger. My cpu seems to be holding up well with many instances as well. Will play around with it some more tomorrow...
Good to hear! Which emulation did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
hey climber,

i'm trying to figure out if this issue is specific to me. i'm running DP7.21 on OSX10.6.4, and when i hit the "Group" switch or the little arrow next to the group switch, the entire GUI disappears, and i have to restart the plugin. so i can't use the group function at all. does happen for you? i ask because you mentioned DP...
DP GUI issues seem to be a common bug, so we're on it. It would be helpful to report it via support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
I don't see anything specifically for VCC on your forums? Where would I report or get support for the VCC beta then on your forums or is it 'tickets only' for now? (and I am a logged-in registered member of forum). Thanks ;-)
It was there earlier, but IT guys must have taken it down for some reason, probably to fix some type of error. For now use the support ticket. thumbsup
#27
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #27
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 33

GetHimEatHim is offline
Very close to pulling the trigger on this -- just want to verify that it will work on MacOS 10.4.x. Anyone?
#28
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
h4nc0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 627

h4nc0 is offline
Does Oversampling option supposed to eat alot of CPU? A project with 7% CPU usage goes up to 35-50% with oversampling turned on, with only 2 instances of Channels & 1 Mixbuss. Probably not usable on my system. (i7 @ 4ghz)

BTW, I really like what VCC is doing to the sound. No regrets.
#29
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #29
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,179

Johnkenn is offline
This is TERRIBLY unscientific, but I had a song with about 12 stems and 4 more tracks. Added Brit Discrete to one with the knobs straight up and then did the same with the AlexB Vintage Blue Console. There's also a file without either on it too...Drums, amps, bass are all fake, so it's not as big as if it were recorded in a good studio, but this will kinda show the sounds for those that are interested.

Also - it's going to be a lot easier to use this tool when you're mixing into it. This project was already done, so I just slapped on both these programs without changing any EQ or compression. I can't wait to have VCC up on a mix and THEN start getting sounds...

Sorry for the MP3's...couldn't get a decent sample under 6 mb's for a wav.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 No VCC sample.mp3 (2.18 MB, 1439 views)
File Type: mp3 Brit Discrete.mp3 (2.18 MB, 1393 views)
File Type: mp3 Alexb VBC.mp3 (2.18 MB, 1208 views)
#30
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
  #30
Gear nut
 
solveforq's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 140

solveforq is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
This is TERRIBLY unscientific, but I had a song with about 12 stems and 4 more tracks. Added Brit Discrete to one with the knobs straight up and then did the same with the AlexB Vintage Blue Console. There's also a file without either on it too...Drums, amps, bass are all fake, so it's not as big as if it were recorded in a good studio, but this will kinda show the sounds for those that are interested.

Also - it's going to be a lot easier to use this tool when you're mixing into it. This project was already done, so I just slapped on both these programs without changing any EQ or compression. I can't wait to have VCC up on a mix and THEN start getting sounds...

Sorry for the MP3's...couldn't get a decent sample under 6 mb's for a wav.
Even in the MP3 form I can hear something really nice happening in the brit discrete low to low mids. I really like it in Comparison to the dry sample. Being a nebula user I'm really bummed that I like the dry sample better then the nebula.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Bang / Product Alerts older than 2 months
1655
Steven Slate / Product Alerts older than 2 months
487
Steven Slate / Product Alerts older than 2 months
251
mrufino1 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.