I think I may have blown up my computer!!
Old 22nd December 2005
Lives for gear

I think I may have blown up my computer!!

I own a Carillon PC - Pentium 4, 3.2 GHZ - shipped with 1 gig RAM.

I was having some performance limitations with my computer on a specific session that I was working on. When I was chacking the computers performance on task manager it seemed that I was maxing out on my RAM consumption. I went out and purchased another GIG of RAM (DDR - 400 MHZ), I previously had only one GIG of RAM.

When I tried to install the RAM it was pretty tight and I had to undo one of the connectors right by the RAM and the HArd Drives. I installed the RAM and booted it up , everything worked fine. I was trying to get my Waves APA up and running so I had to boot up a few more times. I checked My Computer / Properties to make sure that the computer was recognising the RAM and it was.

Next I fired up PT-LE and opened up the session that I was having the performance problems with. Interestingly enough the same performance problems seemed to persist. As I was busy trying to get the session to play the whole system shut off. I don't mean it booted itself down, the computer just shut off completely - black screen and all.

When I tried to reboot it up the computer made a sound sort of like a police siren (high pitch, low pitch, high pitch , low pitch etc..) and then stopped.

Any ideas on what may have caused the problem? What could/should I check? Could I have accidentally unplugged some wires during the RAM install . ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 22nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Follow up - still not great news

Well I tried booting up the computer after about 30 mins and got the following message;

Intel Corporation D875PBZ Desktop Board
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor, 3.20 GHz
DDRà Operating in dual-channel dynamic paging mode

2048 System Ram

Legacy Keyboard …..Detected
USB Legacy…………Enabled

The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event (overheating)
Service the unit right away to resolve this

Press <F4> to Resume
Hit <F2> if you want to run set up
Press F12 if you want to boot from the network

Don't know if any of that helps but thought it might be worth adding. Maybe I dislodged the wire that runs the CPU fan?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 22nd December 2005
Gear addict

The beeps that you hear are actually indicating where the problem is. Check with your motherboard manufacturer

Common reasons for beeps are missing RAM or missing Video card.

I would start by putting everything back the way it was before, and see if it works.
If it does, try with only your new RAM chip, to see it that works.
If it does, then you're in business!

(BTW, I doubt that you're in trouble.. make sure every card and RAM chip are solidely in. Don't be afraid to push, some cards need good pressure to get it. dont go to far though )
Old 22nd December 2005
Gear addict

Just saw your 2nd message. Yeah, CPU fan would make sense. If you see that it's unplugged and don't know where to plug it in, then look in the motherboard manual,

good luck, im off to bed!
Old 22nd December 2005
Lives for gear

I didn't blow up my computer, just the power to the CPU FAN - I'm back in business!! Thanks for your help Simon, cheers!
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

You went thrermal.

You have cooling issues.

This happened to me a month or so ago. My CPU fan threw a vane and stuck the fan. I put a new thermaltake on it. You might want to look into placing the case in a more open environment that's not trapping the heat.

Intel PERL 865 - 3.2 GHz P4 - 2 GB DDR - WIN2000
Old 23rd December 2005
very crunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event (overheating)
Service the unit right away to resolve this
Go to the local computer store and pick up a GOOD cpu fan. Make sure it fits the right port (your P4 is either a socket 478 or LGA 775, chances are its a 478)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search