How can I add firewire to my laptop?
Old 11th September 2010
Gear Head

How can I add firewire to my laptop?

I just bought an HP dv4 1145go laptop from a friend......gotta good deal so...........

It doesn't have a firewire port but it does have an eSata port and a 54mm card slot. I need to have a firewire input for audio or video.

Can the eSata port be used / converted to firewire? Firewire card suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2010
Gear interested

I've seen some Expresscard Firewire adapters, but the ones I read up on seemed to lack Vista drivers or have other problems. I never got to finding which, if any, used the Texas Instruments chipset (the right one for reliable audio work). I'll be interested to see the replies too.

[edit] Oops, 54mm -- that's standard bus card form. I was thinking 34mm. Beg pardon. 54mm is a much more popular form, so there should be something available. The SIIG NN-PCM312-S2 has a TI chipset but it's ancient; I've no idea whether there are drivers for modern OSes.
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

I would contact Scott @ ADK who builds laptops for DAW purposes, and get some opinion with your model if firewire is really feasible path or not. He might say that's not a good idea with your particular model. I would be also willing to buy firewire express card from him, if he can suggest a good one.

I use ADS Tech Pyro 64R2 PCI card with much success with desktop PC motherboards without 1394 port, but never tried laptop firewire even my Toshiba Satellite has TI chip in it. I usually go to USB with PC laptops, which may be the better option for you.
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticusiam View Post
I just bought an HP dv4 1145go laptop from a friend......gotta good deal so...........

It doesn't have a firewire port but it does have an eSata port and a 54mm card slot. I need to have a firewire input for audio or video.

Can the eSata port be used / converted to firewire? Firewire card suggestions?

Thanks.
Siig, Belkin, Startech all make good Express card to firewire.
this is the only way to do it.

good chance it wont work so try to buy it locally so you can return it.

make sure what you are buying has the TI chipset
no combo cards, must be a straight firewire 400 only card.

Scott
ADK
Old 12th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
Siig, Belkin, Startech all make good Express card to firewire.
this is the only way to do it.

good chance it wont work so try to buy it locally so you can return it.

make sure what you are buying has the TI chipset
no combo cards, must be a straight firewire 400 only card.

Scott
ADK
Hi Scott,

I'll check into the cards you recommend. But before I do, I'm curious about why you think there's a good chance it won't work?

Thanks again!
BC
Old 12th September 2010
Banned

The STLAB express card from maplin uk HERE
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search