When Multitracking in Logic, changing the selected track in arrange stops recording!
faeflora
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Lives for gear

When Multitracking in Logic, changing the selected track in arrange stops recording!

When I multitrack record 2+ tracks, if I change the selected track in the arrange window, recording stops for about 1/2 a second then starts up again!!! This happens in OS 9 and OS X!!! This didn't happen in v4.x.

I'm running LP6.1 on Mac G4 dual 1.25ghz 1GB RAM, RAID 0 2 drive Seagate 15K RPM disks.

With this "feature" or bug, multitracking is almost useless as an accidental click will mess up every single track of a take!

This "feature" is total BS if it's not my config or a bug! Why should recording stop then start just because I click on a track??? I've got massive amounts of hard disk power available for my audio recording, the OS is on a seperate drive, I'm on the top of the line OS 9 mac etc! This should not happen! I guess most Logic users don't do multitrack recording. I'll have to try out Nuendo.

Does this happen to anyone else?
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Gear addict

same thing here. the output mutes for a second when you click on a different track. i didn't actually play back the recording to check whether it was affected, or if it was just that the outputs were muted for a second ( the take was fluffed and we re-did it). i didn't take the chance again of clicking on a track after that. have you actually checked the audio after recording to see if the mute is there? sorry thats a pretty basic question, i assume you have checked, but just thought i'd mention it.
faeflora
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by fatty
same thing here. the output mutes for a second when you click on a different track. i didn't actually play back the recording to check whether it was affected, or if it was just that the outputs were muted for a second ( the take was fluffed and we re-did it). i didn't take the chance again of clicking on a track after that. have you actually checked the audio after recording to see if the mute is there? sorry thats a pretty basic question, i assume you have checked, but just thought i'd mention it.
Yes, I checked the audio.

Actually, the file totally STOPS, then Logic starts writing a NEW FILE with a SECOND LONG BREAK BETWEEN!

**** EMAGIC! I HATE THEM! $1000 of POS SOFTWARE!!!
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Mindreader

Listen, just go into play and click a few tracks. Is that flawless? I think not.

Yes, it's a 'new' feaure *groan* but it's been doing it a while now.

And it's a major pita

Bug them, I would, shout at them

Actually, i'll shout at them too
faeflora
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
Listen, just go into play and click a few tracks. Is that flawless? I think not.

Yes, it's a 'new' feaure *groan* but it's been doing it a while now.

And it's a major pita

Bug them, I would, shout at them

Actually, i'll shout at them too
Har, yes, I see about the whole playback fuggering up as well.

I called up Emagic USA tech support this morning and they confirmed the "feature". They said it's actually always been around. I asked when it would be fixed and the tech said that he didn't know. I asked if I could send a letter or complaint or something somewhere. He said that doing so wouldn't help since they've known about the feature forever.

GRRR.
faeflora
2nd July 2003
Old 2nd July 2003
Lives for gear

This feature confirms my thoughts about Logic's audio engine.

It's been stapled onto the sequencer.

Seriously this makes Logic unusable for multitrack recording. Yes, I can stay away from the keyboard while doing it, but what if I TOUCH THE FORBIDDEN KEYBOARD or MOUSE ACCIDENTALLY? Bye bye to all active takes! Hello pissed off client! Hi me looking stupid!

Can Logic load up Nuendo songs? I can't do pro tools because I don't have $100000 I mean $10000 lying around.
3rd July 2003
Old 3rd July 2003
Gear nut

Man am I glad I stayed with a windows system !Flawless speed and performance 5.5 ROCKS.Who needs the freeze function with 2 universal audio cards!!!The Mac thing is great I still have one running Logic in the studio but must say the windows system is way more stable.Dual Tyan motherboard/2-1 ghz chips 512 mgs ram/3 -30 gigabite western digital scsi drives with 8 mg on board ram.IT KICKS ROYAL ASS
3rd July 2003
Old 3rd July 2003
Mindreader

Rob -

Do what?

and

freeze is a cool feature. whaddya mean who needs it. people who need it need it. i used it yesterday. gave me just enough juice to get the mix i wanted. fyi it's also really useful for making stems too. and no matter what cards you've got, they're not gonna give you more polyphony on the old exs24, which is why i use it mostly when i've got rather large chord things going on for orchestral mock ups.

this is a thread about 'why does logic screw up recordings between track changes', although I'd love to hear about your fantabulous system on another thread

(On a side note, apparently the g5 can play back with 1000 note polyhony, but that's onother thread too)

Fae -

What's the deal with the logic control, perhaps that would be a better way of doing things....

...Not that getting more gear is ever a good idea just 'cos something doesn't work properly (looks at his 2408mk3 which he changed from the mk2 'cos it, erm, had a kernel panic feature thus buying into motu's 'hardware curve' made so popular by digi )

I'm going to have a pratt about with logic and see if there's anything you can do. It MIGHT be to do with the newish midi implementation which didn't used to let you change the track info on midi tracks using internal synths (the midi universal thingy) Perhaps it can be turned off for audio recording.

Help desks. Who needs em. I'm fed up phoning them and them going 'oh yeah, so it does, never knew that'

Apart from Al of course. He's a one man help desk. He should just put a big piece of wood around himself with a bell on it.
faeflora
3rd July 2003
Old 3rd July 2003
Lives for gear

Actually, I do have a Logic Control already. Unfortunately, if I have the "select track when touching fader" option enabled, I think I still get the recording pause thing.

Plus it kind of sucks when there's 20+ tracks in the arrange to page through "bank" after bank of faders. It's easier to click to turn on the channel select light on the LC.

Oh well. I guess this is what $1000 gets me. I know that Emagic would've had to totally trash and recode their sequencer to get get an audio engine functioning properly. Unfortunately Logic's just a great sequencer with sloppy audio! Aggh I'm complaining but I feel like I'm being rammed by Emagic.
3rd July 2003
Old 3rd July 2003
Gear addict

i believe there's an option somewhere in the Prefs section that has a check box for "change tracks in record mode"

un-check it.

not at my box now, so I'm flying from memory.

-sm
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
Gear interested

Quote:
i believe there's an option somewhere in the Prefs section that has a check box for "change tracks in record mode"

un-check it.
I don't ever recall seeing this in pref's.

faeflora,

While agree that this is a major "bug" with Logic's audio engine, I believe that there are ways around this. I read your posts on sonikmatter, and if I remember correctly, a couple of reasons you wanted to be able to switch tracks while recording were...

1)Zooming in on a track while recording.
I have the 4 arrows on my keyboard set to zoom in and out, up and down. Using these, I can easily zoom in on a single track while I have 24 tracks recording.

2)Quickly finding a selected track in the environment.
If you've taken the time to pre-name your tracks (which is a mandatory for audio management reasons), use the track mixer to look at meter levels, for instance. In the track mixer, all your names appear at the botton of the fader, which are easy enough to spot.

No, you can't highlight a new track while you've got a bunch of tracks in record without the wrath of Kahn, but like most applications, you learn how to work within the exsisting parameters.

Obviously, this is enough of an issue for you that you'll probably look at other options. I for one (who frequently multitracks with Logic), have never considered this a big deal breaker. I've learned to navigate around it very easily. Besides, back in the day when I recorded to tape machines, I don't recall there being a whole lot to look at while tracking, other than meter levels.

Different strokes I guess...
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
There is only one

DP doesnt have this problem. i can do basically anything i want while recording.... except maybe load a plugin.
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
Lives for gear

Oh hell... I was almost bought on Logic 6.1 tutt
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
There is only one

you know, im a DP user but i have been thinking of another route lately. but logic is the last on my list to move to. sad thing is there just isnt much out there on the MAC platform. pyramix, samplitude/sequoia are all windows based. other than that im keeping my eye on the genex 9048 which is a shitload more $$$.

none of the "bigger" DAWs interest me that much [logic, nuendo, cubase, pt]

i like samplitude for the room convolution thing. and pyramix for the dsd capability, and the mixer is easy to use. neither however use midi. of course, i havent used midi in years.
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
Lives for gear

I don't use MIDI either... so maybe Logic is not the logic solution isn't it?
What about nuendo?
Hey alphajerk... do you use DP AND PT?
4th July 2003
Old 4th July 2003
There is only one

just plain ole DP. on a dualGHZ. i max it out bigtime and i dont do huge ass track counts. 20-35 is where i top out.... oddly, things sound much better when i stay below 12. but i dont think its the math and more of arrangement/purity.

pyramix is only 8tracks of DSD right now. they are talking about moving it up to 24 sometime but who knows when. of course the genex at 48 channels is a lot more than i need... and i wonder if i can only buy say 16 A>dsd convertors and 48 dsd>A convertors for it and move the 16 about to various tracks while tracking to save some money. or even 24.

but i want to hear how the thing works first before i give it too much serious consideration. im also thinking of an ATR108 w/ Aria electronics, got to get the best if im going to add analog.

of course with DSD, you have to mix analog it seems... although then i wont have to think about latency anymore. but i wont be able to mix like i have become addicted to jumping around from song to song mixing a whole album at once kinda deal. such tradeoffs everywhere.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search