Symphony 64 PCIE questions
New Reply
Subscribe
TheSnig
7th September 2010
Old 7th September 2010
Gear interested

Arrow Symphony 64 PCIE questions

I was wondering if anyone could better explain how the Symphony 64 or 32 PCIE card helps with plugin processing? Does it work similarly to the way an accel DSP card works?

I know that it's only half a system without the x symphony card and some sort of rosetta. I currently have a macpro dual quad core and rosetta 800. I've been monitoring via the analog outs of the rosetta and mixing within logic 9. I'm thinking about purchasing the x card and the pcie card to complete a better system, but wanted to better understand specifically how the card handles plugin processing.

If I've missed this in other threads I apologize - I looked through the previously posted threads - found some helpful info about system setup and overall configuration, but nothing specifically other than what the basic description tells about plugin processing.

Thanks

Snig
7th September 2010
Old 7th September 2010
Gear maniac

Symphony PCIe system doesn't have processing power ,it's basically a soundcard with a great driver and very well integrated to OSX-Logic.
I have symphony 64 ,with rosetta and it's a great stable system.
(UAD 2 for processing )
7th September 2010
Old 7th September 2010
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnig View Post
I was wondering if anyone could better explain how the Symphony 64 or 32 PCIE card helps with plugin processing? Does it work similarly to the way an accel DSP card works?

I know that it's only half a system without the x symphony card and some sort of rosetta. I currently have a macpro dual quad core and rosetta 800. I've been monitoring via the analog outs of the rosetta and mixing within logic 9. I'm thinking about purchasing the x card and the pcie card to complete a better system, but wanted to better understand specifically how the card handles plugin processing.

If I've missed this in other threads I apologize - I looked through the previously posted threads - found some helpful info about system setup and overall configuration, but nothing specifically other than what the basic description tells about plugin processing.

Thanks

Snig
The Symphony 64 PCI-e card is only an I/O card - so there is zero DSP driven technology powering your DAW environment's plug in power, like the aforementioned system - however - what is extremely beneficial to note here is the fact that Symphony 64 does have extremely high channel count that is not as limiting as other system protocols. More importantly, the 64 card has an insanely low profile running on your DAW no matter what I/O and sample rate is utilized. The simplicity of the system is that it has very low DSP draw inside your Core Audio environment, [unlike others] and it will offer extremely good latency spec, no matter what is going on inside your Native environment - so there are definitely benefits to using Symphony 64 PCI-e with a Mac Pro and Core Audio Application. Logic is the only program that I know of that lets you run a 32 sample buffer, so you do actually get the best performance with Logic - but other Core audio Applications are seamless in operation and it does achieve the same attribute of low latency and low DSP draw for I/O count.

I hope this clears up some confusion about Apogee products.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search