Is Duende Native Real? SSL speaks...
New Reply
Subscribe
Jim@SSL
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Solid State Logic

Well, what a weekend! Why is it that these things only happen when people are out of the office???

Rather than jump into yet another encyclopedia thread I thought it might be a bit more useful to put up a "first post" about the roadmap forwards for Duende. Those who know my posts will know that this is unusual for me, as we tend to keep our product development private rather than public. However when some bright spark finds your staging server and posts it in a public forum your options become rather limited...

Viral marketing?
No.
Less-than-sound IT policy?
Absolutely.

Anyone clicking on the links in the other thread will now find that the link is password-protected. I'm sure that you can understand that we would prefer our internal servers to remain just that.

Computers are getting faster and faster. They're not going to stop getting faster either. Power is no longer a problem - even for those with 3 or 4 year old computers. The limiting factor for any DSP-assisted system these days is the environment that it has to work in. With Soundscape (as an example) it is written from the ground up to work with DSP processing so you can get latencies of only 4 samples running plug-ins. In an AU/ASIO system latency is driven by the buffers of the host application (which invariably was not written for DSP-assisted signal processing but for host CPU processing) and this is one of the downsides of things like Duende, UAD, Powercore et al. So looking forwards at this we at SSL decided that unless you are in an absolute mission-critical application a Native system is more than adequate for the job of making music. Rather than develop a new hardware platform for Duende we came to the conclusion that most people just wanted Native plug-ins.

I can confirm that we are working on Duende Native. We will be rolling out a public-beta test phase in the next 4-8 weeks and will be looking for people to join in. Register onto SSL's mailing list to find out when.

Judging from a few comments on the other thread I would like to add the following:

If you are still running a V2/V3 Duende system and are happy with it, then why change? It will be possible (at the point of installation) to decide which of the Duende plug-ins you want to continue to run under V2/V3 and which you want to run Natively. Launching Duende Native does not mean that the plug-ins you own now will not run on the DSP you own now.

Anyone who has a registered Duende will receive a free cross-grade of every plug-in they own. You might want to use this on your main computer and then take the Duende hardware you own and install that on a second machine? Give it to a local music charity? Sell it? Put it on a spike and post it to us? Your call...We will hold the free cross-grade (one per registered unit) open for some time to come. We will not freeze our existing users out of the future of Duende or charge them to be part of it - unlike other manufacturers.

Anyone who has purchased one of the 64 or 128 channel upgrades for their Duende V3 system will get something from us. We have no intention of ripping you off - especially those people who only bought the 128-chanel upgrade in June in our summer special for an INCREDIBLY reduced price.

Pricing of the Native plug-ins will be comparable to the price that most users paid for the V2/V3 versions. The point of SSL plug-ins is their sound. This is where the value of all of our products lies.

There will be free time-limited demos for all, and not just once. We will be offering multiple demo periods on all plug-ins. You will all get plenty of opportunity to use them and make your own conclusions.

I've been mis-quoted by a number of people in the thread in regard to my statements about Duende V3.5 (which by the way works great and most people seem very happy with it). I always said that Duende V3.5 will need Duende hardware to run. Even with the Hybrid Core Processing there is some stuff that the hardware needs to do and (JUST TO BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR) this is not just about copy protection. The onbard DSPs are doing some work.

I never posted to say that Duende Native did not exist. To avoid accusations of "politician" or "not the whole truth" WTF do you expect me to do - suddenly hold up my hands in surrender and say "Yes, you've rumbled me. And by the way, here's what we're planning to launch next year as well"? Unlike other companies it is our policy not to tout vapourware. If it's not ready to ship in 6 weeks we won't talk about it. There is nothing so frustrating and being teased about kit and then being made to wait.

The news leaked out a little earlier than we had planned, but this news was going to come out anyway....

Right, no further comment from anyone at SSL until we're ready to go into public beta. When this is ready you'll all have the chance to find out about it. Before then I think it is in the best interest of all to nip any "Duende Native vs Duende DSP" or "Duende Native vs Waves" threads. There is no point going over this ( in usual GS fashion) until you all have the chance to actually use them and talk about them with some sense of validation and fact rather than conjecture and opinion.

Keep 'Slutting!

Why Do You Work That Way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NEV...-lhM4PkYItjDzw

Examine things you might not realise affect your workflow...
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

bravo SSL thumbsup
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
bravo SSL thumbsup
+1
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Finnish
Bring 'em on!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Awesome!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear addict

Very good decision SSL! Cant wait to demo X-Verb!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Well done SSL! I guess it must have been a tough decision, but I am sure it will pay off.

Fantomen has been iTunes #1 in Spain in Electronic and has received support from Markus Schultz, DJ Feel, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Danilo Ercole, Johan Gielen (Airscape), DJ Jurgen, Miss Nine, Pedro del Mar, Vicky Devine, Aerofoil, M.I.K.E. and 200+ other global DJs.

https://soundcloud.com/fantomen-1/fantomen-circles-radio-edit-2
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Good decision. I don't want run run plugins using firewire and the PCIe slots are precious.

Way to go.

Just make the software protection as non-intrusive as possible.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for confirming that hybrid is at least a little, uh... hybrid.

Like I said, this is going to be interesting.

Oh, and while I'm here, I'd like to put in a vote for non-wrapped RTAS.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@SSL View Post
. Before then I think it is in the best interest of all to nip any "Duende Native vs Duende DSP" or "Duende Native vs Waves" threads. There is no point going over this ( in usual GS fashion) until you all have the chance to actually use them and talk about them with some sense of validation and fact rather than conjecture and opinion.
I agree, but in true GS fashion Duende Native related threads surely will pop like heated kernels

Noma Children Hospital Sokoto
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Levi
Handled very well, Jim... thank you! And the very best of luck in the new direction of the SSL plugins!!! Very exciting!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

What about copy protection? iLok or Syncrosoft?
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
What about copy protection? iLok or Syncrosoft?
I remember from their site ( before the page got locked ) that you had a choice of software protection or hardware dongle. No mention of what brand of dongle precisely.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Thks Jim !

Dsp still have its place on my setup !!

The fact that ssl gonna make a free crossgrade plus upgarde owner (64 128 , hope 16 to 32 for the mini too!) is something very good that not everycompany would make !!

In that case you have a dsp soltution AND a native soultion for the price of one !

Happy SSL supporters here

ps : are we going to be able to still buy dsp 's pcie and mini ?
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman

I remember from their site ( before the page got locked ) that you had a choice of software protection or hardware dongle. No mention of what brand of dongle precisely.
Only Syncrosoft has this option and that protection sucks, had a lot of problem. iLok is ok.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
maybe the same one Pro Convert uses, which is neither of those.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@SSL View Post

Judging from a few comments on the other thread I would like to add the following:

If you are still running a V2/V3 Duende system and are happy with it, then why change? It will be possible (at the point of installation) to decide which of the Duende plug-ins you want to continue to run under V2/V3 and which you want to run Natively. Launching Duende Native does not mean that the plug-ins you own now will not run on the DSP you own now.

Keep 'Slutting!
Ok just to understand ,can we choose , for exemple ,the buscomp install as native AND dsp on the same setup for exemple or is it exclusive ?

Install only allowed on one PC ? or ilok kinda ? i knwo we must wait but i think our feedback is something to have in perspective for a real blast after the launch !!!

Go ssl go !
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear nut

All good! 3.5 was a great release, but now I honestly can't wait to be freed from the tyranny of external DSP!

Plus I'm sure SSL will look after people like me who bought into it from the beginning and bought the 128 channel upgrade at full price
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010

What's good also is that with no more hardware limitation , they will be able to release all kind of plugins !!

the only question will be : what about the dsp user ? no more plugins on the menu ?
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010

Thanks Jim for the information. thumbsup
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear interested

Thanks for the update Jim.
It's great to see that ssl gives a free crossgrade to the current duende owners.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear Head

Bravo SSL!
Great move!
Deserves respect
Thanks!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Great move !
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear maniac

+1 thumbsup

Very happy about that.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear interested

I've been using the Waves SSL plugins for a while and have always been intreagued as to how this compares to that. They both got 10/10 in an older edition of Computer Music Magazine when both were released.

How much is one of these anyway these days?
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to anguswoodhead
And SSL plugins move back into a positive light - nicely done Jim.
X-Verb is killer !!!!!
A vote for iLok here - we've all got them right?

Mastering all styles and genres using an hybrid approach.
Special rates for unattended online mastering.
Add 24 Ch SSL analog summing for an extra $50 per song.
Prefer 10 stereo stems.

Sunshine Coast Mastering, Queensland, Australia
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

I believe so. ( Although i'm not even sure he uses SSL boards. Doesn't he mostly mixes on the Sony Oxford ? )
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear addict

good to hear...can a sidechain filter be added to that buss compressor in the next update...that would be awesome!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search