i7 Laptop with Firewire
New Reply
Subscribe
musicsound-2
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear addict

i7 Laptop with Firewire

I am looking for an i7 laptop with a firewire interface. I prefer 16" or 17".
After some research I was considering to maybe buy an Acer or Asus although not all of them has a Firewire interface and/of a card slot.

My DAW is Cubase /Windows and the FW Interface I am considering is Steinberg MR816, RME Fireface or a Focusrite.

Any positive experience or recommendation for a working and stable i7 laptop solution ?
musicsound-2
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear addict

no one is using a Windows i7 laptop /FW successfully for music ?
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

even if they have firewire it wont be TI and wont work.
most off the shelf laptops wont work for audio even by adding a TI based Express card.
while there are a few (very few) exceptions to this, you could litterally buy 50 laptops and still not find a working one for firewire.

USB has a better chance but still can suffer from the same issues

Scott
ADK
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear maniac

Your best bet would probably be an audio specific laptop manufacturer. A good spec sheet does not equal a good computer.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Head

I own a Dell STudio 15 with i7 720 QM. Its got firewire from ricoh and im not sure if i can recommend it. Sometimes (especially when the CPU usage is high) it loses connection to my firebox forcing me to restart the computer. However, Mackie onyx satellite works perfectly well at ~70% CPU...
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear interested

I as well am seeking out i5 or i7 computer with firewire or express card. After looking at an MSi S6000 at a store the other day, I felt it was a little cheap looking. I found a place that had Lenovo G560, they only had 2 laptops in their store and was the kind of place that makes their own laptops in Denver. At a place like this where people actually know what they're doing I felt like that was almost a recommendation from people who really know computers. As opposed to when I've stopped by Best Buy and other retailers in the US where salespeople have literally just made things up to try to get me to spontaneously buy something.

I'm seriously considering Lenovo at this point. I'm just not understanding the whole "it's not going to work" thing. What is this all about? I'm just skeptical that this may be just a marketing technique of certain companies that may or may not be posting on these forums
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

i can assure you your last comment is not correct. if it was i would have been called out long ago.
do i sell laptops yes.
but thats not the point.

you do enough forum searchs you will see how many people have had issues.
having tested countless laptops (looking for one to sell) most do not work.

there are numerous issues with newer laptops. you have to realize that laptops are designed for the masses, the thought of using a laptop as a workstation anymore
is well the manufacturers dont get it...
because of this many issues have popped up in present laptops.

1) if there is firewire it wont be TI and chances of it working are extremely thin. Usually (Ricoh, jmicon)

2) most laptops dont have firewire, so the only option is adding an Express card with TI chipset.
however this rarely works. it has a lot to do with how the bios is written, and how Vendor ID is dealt with.
""Also known as a VID, a vendor ID is a unique number assigned to each computer hardware device that helps a computer identify the hardware being installed in the computer. Most vendor IDs start with 0x, for example, 0x9710 or 9710 is an example of a Vendor ID. Other Vendor IDs may be the first few letters of the company's name or an abbreviation. ""

this is one of the reasons the RME works better than a stock Fireiwre express card. it has a specific vendor ID where most firewire cards are read as non specific.
they still dont work in at least 50% of laptops however

3)designed for long battery life. again this is the cry of the masses give us long battery life, give us "green", give us really good wifi.
so ther are a good deal of things in the bios that are designed to SAVE power not use it. and put power where it should not (wifi)
thus making the Express slot under volted most of the time. (vendor ID tells the bios to up the voltage for the RME)

the Firewire port (if ther is one) can also suffer from this or suffer from sleep states whisch is my next statement.

4) C-States (various states of reduced power to the Processor) aka sleep states.
see this thread
C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking

with the laptop bios you do not have the options of turning these off (our laptops have custom bios' wrote with these off and other things)

5)DPC latency. you can download a program called DPC latency checker..
this never use to be an issue (well at least not as previlent as it is now) you can be an issue with Desktops as well.

DPC issue can come from numerous problems. WIFI is the big one, (disbale in windows doe not always fix issue) others are ACPI battery (this can be disabled in windows) as several other tweaks
but often even after doing all the windows tweaks you still have a laptop thats near useless.

DPC can and will come from the video card of the laptop (or desktop) onboard intel video or dedicated video can still cause DPC.
2 of our laptops we had to lock down the video card to its slowest speed (fine for audio) (again in the bios you can't do this any other way)

there is a lot more to this but i think i have already said too much.

now with that said i have seen a small handful (very few) who say that have laptop x working with firewire.
how well i cant say. To me being able to run @ 64 buffer or at most 128 with a 40-50 track project and effects and VSTi is my idea of working.

YMMV.

Scott
ADK
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear interested

13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://cubase.de/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=971390&sid=aee3c91ae145d0799afdee0268cb1810
Play games etc. No problem with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M.
Well it made me laugh anyway.

What Scott says is true. I spent a year testing solutions from Acer, Asus, Gigabyte, Msi and all sorts of other companys and I did get a few working for audio but still with elevated DPC levels.

To do so I had to strip down the O.S to it was just about unusable, disable all the power saving facilitys, remove the wi-fi in most cases and generally waste a day getting each one to an even remotely useable condition with most of sound interface solutions I tested.

It's a lot of messing about and if you want to keep a working wi-fi solution in there as well then good luck.

Yes, we sell laptops, and yes we sell ADK laptops. The's a reason. Even through we sell firms like Asus/Acer/Msi for our standard office/home units and in all honesty we'd make far, far more selling the big brand units like those to our audio clients, I know they don't work in a lot of situations and that's what's important at the end of the day to the end user.

You may get lucky and find a solution that works first time. Some laptops may work in certain configurations or some may begin to glitch the audio when you start trying to work with them this is the biggest problem if you've never seen what DPC Latency does to your system.

Or you may not. You may spend $500 on a laptop and find it unusable and then when you tell Dell/HP/Acer they won't be able to do anything as it's a "Working as intended" problem. DPC Latency means nothing to people outside of audio and if it happens, it happens and certainly isn't a reason for you to ask for a refund if your not happy.

The day you see a thread with a dozen different people saying "This "brand x" laptop works great and these are our configurations" then that's the day you go out and buy the laptop. Hell if I'd seen a thread like that I'd have ordered them in. But the only threads i've ever seen with loads of people 100% happy with their laptop solutions have been clients of Scott's and that's why I became one.

A single person saying that laptop X worked for him only indicates it works with his exact setup. The's too many variables in each persons studio to take into account to be able to say off a single result it's going to work for everyone.

At the end of the day if you buy a system on someones advice from a forum you have no comeback when it doesn't work. You buy it from a speclist at least they have the requirement that they have to get it working for you, in your setup no matter what. That's what you pay for.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

FW does not necessarily have to be a TI solution. The revision 7 LSI/Agere chipsets in current Macbooks work very well. And even the revision 6 ones can be made to work for those interfaces that have problems with it. I had one VIA based PCI card that worked well while an onboard VIA FW port did not.

Many DPC related problems can be solved/worked around, it's not always easy though. WLAN, USB and GPU are the most often found culprits. Drivers/applications that control "special keys" on laptops (brightness, volume, quick start etc) can also pose a big problem (like Apple's KBDMGR.EXE coming with Bootcamp 2.x).

Taking a look at Microsoft's "Update Catalog" site instead of using drivers coming with CDs or vendor downloads can help sometimes (like for Broadcom WLAN drivers).

When you run into DPC related problems one of the first things to test on Windows Vista/7 is to switch the graphic-driver to the "Microsoft VGA Standard" one. Turning off the "ACPI compliant battery" driver will help against small DPC spikes that happen every 15 seconds (might be different with each laptop).

Last but not least, an USB or ExpressCard based solution might be something to try if FW remains to be the culprit.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajaphonics View Post
Here is a testimonial from a laptop Lenovo user working with Cubase

I would like to point out that Lenovos are considerably less expensive as well.
he doesnt even say what interface is working, may be using onboard sound..
considering it was in the cubase essentials forum probably is.

now in all fairness i did see someone post a working with firewire lenovo. i never could get an answer to what buffer setting and how large a project.

Scott
ADK
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear maniac

Well I can speak from experience what a pain in the ass getting an off the shelf PC laptop working well with a Firewire interface is. Laptops are completely different beasts from desktops when it comes to music production and firewire interfaces, you have to understand that.

If your definition of "value" is buying the cheapest option and hoping that it works then by all means buy from a standard OEM... but just know that there are laptops out there created specifically for audio that will save you a lot of headaches.

For example, if you have no idea what Timur was referring to in his post, then the extra money spent on an audio specific PC will be well worth it.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear interested

Elevated DPC

What DPC reading do you consider is elevated? Anything under 500 in the checker is green. Is 250 considered elevated for audio work, 200, 150? Not confining my question to laptops.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

It depends on the audio buffer size you intent to be using. I consider anything around 300 us good enough for most applications and anything around 100 us perfect (Microsoft spezified 120 us maximum as far as I remember). Anything below that is just a bonus that you wont notice anyway.

Why does it depend on the buffer? Simple: If your audio buffer is 1 ms = 1000 us large then 500 us is 50% of that. If your audio buffer is 10 ms = 10000 us large then 500 us is only 5%. Those 5% can still cause trouble, but the chance is a lot lower that it does (especially with audio applications running at higher priorities and thus often blocking other apps from accessing hardware).
14th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using a Dell Studio XPS 16 with an I7 processor. I use an RME Fireface 800 running 16 in and 2 out at 44.1k (and also an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, using USB 2.0 when I need just a couple of I/O channel pairs) and it's terrific with Cubase. The notebook is overall too heavy, and the fan is too loud for my tastes, but it's been a fantastic computer for me.

I'd recommend trying one out. If you don't like it, I think that you can return it (but check into that).
musicsound-2
14th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58lespaul View Post
Well I can speak from experience what a pain in the ass getting an off the shelf PC laptop working well with a Firewire interface is. Laptops are completely different beasts from desktops when it comes to music production and firewire interfaces, you have to understand that.

If your definition of "value" is buying the cheapest option and hoping that it works then by all means buy from a standard OEM... but just know that there are laptops out there created specifically for audio that will save you a lot of headaches.

For example, if you have no idea what Timur was referring to in his post, then the extra money spent on an audio specific PC will be well worth it.
unfortunately I don´t know such a company here in Germany
musicsound-2
14th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Gear addict

RME Madiface better than Firewire ?

since it seems not to be an easy choice and you need some luck as well I am now considering a Madiface Expresscard from RME + some good converters.

Any success with this ? Any view ?
14th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsound-2 View Post
unfortunately I don´t know such a company here in Germany
I don't remember the name, but I think there is at least one such company in Germany (would have to do a search once I find time, but I think there's a link on the RME forum somewhere).

Your other option is to buy a stock laptop of your choice as a private customer (which in Germany allows you to send it back without refund within 14 days) and just try. You can also have it send to me and I'll set it up for you, but that will cost you 178.50 Euro (incl. VAT/MwSt).

Last but not least you can go for a Macbook (Pro) and either run OS X or Windows (bootcamped). This has the benefit of even getting a full powered Firewire port. If you are running bootcamped Windows you might need to have it setup though, because several drivers can cause problems (I did a long post/thread with all kinds of setup hints for that here on GS and the RME forum).
4th October 2010
Old 4th October 2010
Gear nut

Might be a bit late, but I'll post my $.02

I've been looking for windows laptops with FW, and most manufacturers are phasing them out at this point. I don't want to carry around an express card all day long...

I had a Lenovo R series laptop with Firewire, and the firewire worked fine, but I didn't like all of the extra software that lenovo loaded onto the computer, and it ran much slower than it should have even after disabling programs and optimizing for recording. I got fed up and gave it to my parents haha.

Sony still has iLink in some of their laptops, which is 4 pin FW.

Dell also makes a few laptops (business - latitude, and dell studio 15) that have firewire. The studio 15 has a core i3/i5, so the i5 should be able to handle your recording needs.

Like the previous poster said, build quality in MSI isn't great. From my own experience I haven't had good experiences with MSI.
4th October 2010
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

I gotta chime in and agree with Scott on this (yes, I do sell laptops too). It is tough to find a configuration that works. However, I have found even some of the crappy firewire chipsets will work with some audio devices. The Steinberg Boxes apparently are not one of though! Some people are not able to get them working on anything but a TI card.... while others are. Anyway... buyer beware!

One nice about Cubase 5 though, is it allows you to turn off all "C-states" and other power saving features from it's device settings. I have found this to work well even on laptops that do not include this feature in their bios.

jmtc...
23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
CBJ
Gear interested

USB, Firewire, Esata

I felt compelled to post this so people don’t get completely disillusioned by laptop recording. Seems everyone who has tried to implement a laptop into professional recording has some nasty and frustrating results. So here’s my CBJ 360 “keeping them honest report”!

My experience since 1986 has led me to stay away from certain products claiming they can do the job. Here’s a short list of products I have purchased and was not able to make work in my studio along with some that are key products that are bulletproof with even some of the oldest Pentium 4 CPUs. Be aware these are true experiences and not things I have read about in magazine or Internet reviews.
  • The latest acquisition was a Roland V-Studio with 2 Rack expansion boxes (V-700R) for 16 channels of I/O. Don’t get me wrong, Roland is one of favorite manufacturers of audio equipment but I believe they fell into a trap after investing so heavily into the USB audio that they had to get back some of their investment in R&D. After trying to integrate this into the Post Production master system it was returned to my dealer who were gracious about taking this product back.
  • AMD processors in Laptops & PCs just don’t seem to work for Audio recording. They may work for 4 or 8 channels but fall short in the pro requirements. I have set up many systems for my friends and would always have to spend many extra hours to get them going and inevitably would end up with flaky results. I guess there’s a reason why they are cheaper. For more simple tasks like Cruising the Web, MS Office, and playing games they are OK but integrating audio recording is not one of them.
  • USB is not something you want to use for Pro-Audio when it comes to streaming audio. Although there are many opinions regarding this topic results are the only thing that should be considered. Painless Results! External USB is very unstable for larger pruductions over 8 channels. I have tried many different brands and many different types of interfaces such as Guitar processors and Effect processors .They all fall short in producing simple results. As an example, you cannot use a (Guitar Processor) Roland GT40 and leave it plugged in at the same time that you have a Digitech 1101 plugged into the USB. The PC will recognize one or the other but not both at the same time depending on which unit is on first during the boot-up or powered up first. The only way to circumvent all this is to make a network of PCs and feed them back to your main PC. This must then be accomplished via the network card and special network software such as FX-Max. This in turn adds to the cost and dramatically taxes the expertise level required to setup a recording system.
  • READ THIS CAREFULLY AS THIS ONE ITEM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ACHIEVE SMOOTH RECORDING! The biggest culprit in audio recording is USB and especially external USB Hard Drive enclosures. I have a couple of dozen external enclosures made by Vantec that all have a dual access port being USB 2.0 and Esata connectors. I have even tried USB 3.0 boxes but the only protocol that seems to get the job done is the Esata.
    • Transfer rates are as follows.
      • USB 2.0 – 480 mbs not bidirectional
      • USB 3.0 – 3 to 5 gbs advertised as bidirectional but independent test do not fully support claims
      • Firewire A –400 mbs bidirectional
      • Firewire B – 800 mps bidirectional
      • Esata – 1.5 gbs bidirectional with access to buss
Here’s what I use

Make sure you understand that these laptops are used for live recordings only. No post production is performed on the laptops. Once the initial recording has been performed on the 1tb external hard drives (connected via Esata) they are disconnected, then re-connected to a desktop PC (connected via Esata) and post production is continued on this desktop. Although I have performed post production on Laptop #1 (Acer) it is cumbersome unless there is an additional 22 inch monitor attached. The plug-in count drops dramatically due to the 4meg CPU cache which is @ 12meg on the desktop.

Although I have at least 6 additional laptops that all have Firewire a, a PCMCIA slot loaded with Windows XP 32 bit and Windows XP 64 bit I use two different main laptops depending on how many jobs need to be recorded on the same day.

Laptop #1 (Three years old)

Acer A9810 w/20 inch LCD
CPU - Intel T7200 dual core @ 2Ghz CPU, w/4mb Cache
RAM = 2GB
Internal Hard drives – 2, 500 GB, 7200 RPM HD
External Hard drives – 2, 1tb, 7200 RPM HD connected via PCMCIA Esata adaptor card
OS - Windows XP Home w/Service Pack 3
Built in Internal Firewire a - 4 pin connector
Recording Hardware Used
36 channels of audio via 2 x Mackie Onyx 1640i 16 channel mixer w/Firewire a - 6 pin connectors
Recording software
Sonar by Cakewalk.

Laptop #2 (Seven years old)

HP Presario P3015US w/16 inch LCD
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 @ 2Ghz CPU, w/512kb Cache
RAM = 512 mb
Internal Hard drives – 1, 160 GB, 7200 RPM HD @ replaced the original boot 40gb 5400rpm HD
External Hard drives – 2, 1tb, 7200 RPM HD connected via PCMCIA Esata adaptor card
OS - Windows XP Home w/Service Pack 2
Built in Internal Firewire a - 4 pin connector
Recording Hardware Used
Currently 32 channels of audio via 1 x Presonus Studiolive 24-2 mixer w/Firewire a - 6 pin connectors
Recording software
Sonar by Cakewalk or Capture by Presonus
Note * This laptop is old but has worked flawlessly for years with absolutely no issues for recording 36 channels of simultaneous audio through a pair of Mackie Onyx 1640i Firewire a mixers.

Even though I fully endorse Intel products I guess I would be a pain in the ass for Intel attempting to market their i7 CPU and claiming you need their fastest innovation to complete the job. You don’t! That being said, I am scheduling the purchase in the next couple of months for their i7 980 Extreme as my main PC. Currently I use a Core 2 Quad @ 2.83ghz w/12mb of cache as the main production PC system.

My main PC is equipped with an Ego-Sys Maxio 032 PCI based audio card that is incredible. It will operate @ 5.3 ms of latency set @ 128 sample as the sampling rate. For smaller projects I have operated it @ 64 samples @ 2.7 ms of latency with no issues.

To sum up there are only a few important issues you need to pay attention to.

#1 Depends on what protocol you use to stream the audio to and from the hard drive. My only choice is Esata and not USB or Firewire.
#2 The only audio device that will produce predictable and reliable results for post production is a PCI or PCIe based audio system.
#3 Do not use a notebook unless you utilize the PCIe via an Esata port for streaming audio to external drives.
#4 The PC choice is not as crucial as opposed to the way data is passed from one point to the to another.
#5 The bit rate is not that big an issue with PCI or PCIe as I have used it set from 16 to 32 bit @ various sample rates with very little difference in performance.

Footnote!

Don't forget that once a system works after being configured there is very little reason to upgrade or assume you are missing something by upgrading your PC. Thinking that you require an update to the latest Sonar or Pro-Tools is dangerous and a diversion from the art. You become a techno nerd rather than an artist or recording engineer that produces music. If you need to update do it on another machine rather than experimenting with a working machine.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy music making.
Tele' O'Neil
Tri-Net Media
Feel free to contact me if you need any help at cbj@shaw.ca
23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
AMD processors in Laptops & PCs just don’t seem to work for Audio recording. They may work for 4 or 8 channels but fall short in the pro requirements.
Wrong on several levels! Before Core2Duos AMD CPUs were even superior to Intel CPUs in audio related processing. Not to mention that AMD used to build the mathematical co-processors for Intel, which is why they are still allowed to build Intel compatible CPUs.

Quote:
USB is not something you want to use for Pro-Audio when it comes to streaming audio. Although there are many opinions regarding this topic results are the only thing that should be considered. Painless Results! External USB is very unstable for larger pruductions over 8 channels.
Again wrong! USB 2.0 comes with isochronous transfer modes that can easily match Firewire and transfer dozens of audio channels painlessly.

You generalize from your specific experiences with badly implemented product on the general technology. Good products have shown that both of your statements are not true, sorry.
22nd April 2011
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear interested

Would a Linux Pro Audio distribution be a smimilar option to ADK?

This is an extraordinary thread. Thank you all!

I know of all the trouble with finding decent hardware that will work at all with Linux. Mostly because the FW development (the FFADO project - ffado.org | Free Firewire Audio Drivers) has been very slow - almost stalled - in the last couple of YEARS. Yes I said years...

At any rate, here is my question:

Provided that the ffado driver finally works well with the hardware: Would the optimizations done by Pro-audio distros like Ubuntu Studio, Musix, Planet CCRMA, Transmission Linux (from indamixx.com), Studio 64, PureDyne, JackLab, AV Linux, etc., most of which offer Real-Time Kernels, address all the same problems the dedicated Windows-7-platform manufacturers like ADK solve?

Someone was telling me that having the ability to have a pro-audio RT-kernel, within a distro that is put together with audio in mind, would actually be even better than patching Windows 7...

Thank you for any comments on this!

Be well!

Gabe.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

wow, this thread is right up my alley...

im considering buying the steinberg mr816 as well....and thinking about getting a laptop...

what about a macbook pro? never owned a mac before, but i could probably score one off of ebay since they are plentiful...and the macs come with a firewire port right?

23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

The Firewire ports of 2009 and later Macbooks should work with any interface. Before that Apple kept changing between a faulty LSI/Agere chipset (first Unibody in 2008 for example) and the working TI. The faulty chipset can be worked around by using another FW device in between, including a simple FW repeater cable (sold by Lindy).

The ExpressCard slot of 2008/09 Unibody Macbook Pro is broken, but fortunately that mostly affects eSATA cards, but can also affect Firewire in certain situations. Audio cards should work, but there have been some reports of Macs freezing (not necessarily connected though). The 2010 ExpressCard slot works a lot better (still not perfect) and I don't know about 2011 yet.

When you are running bootcamped Windows on one of the NVidia graphic based Macbook Pro you need to fight with the NVidia graphic-driver for audio without drop-outs. Fortunately it can be done with a few simple tricks.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

timur...or anyone

so what do you think about about this setup on macbook pro?

win7
steinberg mr816x interface
cubase 6

how can i know when a macbook was made while shopping around on ebay....if like you say i need to find something made after 2009?

is 2gb sufficient for some light tracking? can RAM be upgraded on macs? sorry, i know nothing about them.

thanks
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

You have to ask the seller about the year (or Macbook version). I don't say that you cannot use Macbooks before 2009, depending on the interface you might need to use a repeater/hub/HD in between though. The only drawback is the additional stuff to carry around and plug in between (plus one more thing that can break).

I used a repeater with a Fireface 400 on a Macbook Pro 2008 for one year without problems. Now that the FW chipset issue is resolved I still use the repeater for when I need up to 10 m cable-length, even works bus-powered. I once even used a MOTU Ultralite for translating between the MBP and the FF 400, so obviously the MOTU had no problem with the faulty chipset.

When you are running Windows 7 on a pre 2010 Macbook Pro you will not be able to use the ExpressCard slot (which since 2009 is only found on 17" models anyway).

In order to get around the NVidia graphic-driver issues with W7 you will need to use a small and free third-party utility called "PowerMizer Manager" for the 2008/09 9600M GT based MBP. If you are using a 2010 330M GT based MBP you will also need to do some registry tweak that I worked out after hours of analyzing and probably may even want to use a modified Quadro driver. The same applies to most laptops using these GPUs though, not only MBP. Nvidia keeps promising to fix the issue, but they did not for the past 2.5 years, so I wont count on that.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I gotta chime in and agree with Scott on this (yes, I do sell laptops too). It is tough to find a configuration that works. However, I have found even some of the crappy firewire chipsets will work with some audio devices. The Steinberg Boxes apparently are not one of though! Some people are not able to get them working on anything but a TI card.... while others are. Anyway... buyer beware!

One nice about Cubase 5 though, is it allows you to turn off all "C-states" and other power saving features from it's device settings. I have found this to work well even on laptops that do not include this feature in their bios.

jmtc...
Always, always and again Always try to get the industry standard Texas Instruments!!! I remember Apple trying to literally trying to save a dune and swifter from TI to Quakcimm or something in their MBP. Nothing but problems with FCP and Logic. Switched back following QTR.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear interested

So it turned into another Mac thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundpro69 View Post
This is an extraordinary thread. Thank you all!

I know of all the trouble with finding decent hardware that will work at all with Linux. Mostly because the FW development (the FFADO project - ffado.org | Free Firewire Audio Drivers) has been very slow - almost stalled - in the last couple of YEARS. Yes I said years...

At any rate, here is my question:

Provided that the ffado driver finally works well with the hardware: Would the optimizations done by Pro-audio distros like Ubuntu Studio, Musix, Planet CCRMA, Transmission Linux (from indamixx.com), Studio 64, PureDyne, JackLab, AV Linux, etc., most of which offer Real-Time Kernels, address all the same problems the dedicated Windows-7-platform manufacturers like ADK solve?

Someone was telling me that having the ability to have a pro-audio RT-kernel, within a distro that is put together with audio in mind, would actually be even better than patching Windows 7...

Thank you for any comments on this!

Be well!

Gabe.
I was hoping for continued discussion of the system details for audio in PCs this thread was so greatly exploring, rather than "how about buying a Mac?" discussion. That's why I revived it.

Any takers on my question above?

Thank you all!

Gabe.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search