Login / Register
 
Reason 2.0 as a composing tool
New Reply
Subscribe
jho
Thread Starter
#1
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #1
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Reason 2.0 as a composing tool

I'm not familiar with Reason at all, just saw the ad for version 2.0.

Might this be the writing / composition tool I'm looking for? I usually write in Pro Tools since I mix there...I write everything on sythns/drum machines for the basic shell of the songs...

Pro's cons, feedback anyone? Thanks.
__________________
Jeff H
Charleston Sound
#2
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #2
Gear nut
 
3rdpath's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: island of misfit toys
Posts: 125

3rdpath is offline
i find reason to be an incredible writing tool..loads of great sounds and tons of loops to layer on. i have no idea how well it works with protools( i use performer) but i find i use my racks of equipment less and less since i bought it. the sequencer takes a while to get used to and the manual is worthless but most everything can be figured out by futzing with it.

it's only weak points to me( soundwise) are piano and strings...everything else is pretty amazing. i haven't downloaded 2.5 yet but plan to shortly.

for $250.00 you can't go wrong.
jho
Thread Starter
#3
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
That brings a good point, bringing into Pro Tools HD...they list everyone but PT for rewire...also I'm still on 9.2.2 not OSX...(5.3.1, not 6.X)
#4
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #4
Lives for gear
 
heinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,025

heinz is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdpath
it's only weak points to me( soundwise) are piano and strings...everything else is pretty amazing. i haven't downloaded 2.5 yet but plan to shortly.
Well there is that bit about not being able to change tempos during a song. But I agree I love this tool and working in it is fabulous. I render 24-bit stems out of Reason for import into Samplitude when needed.
#5
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #5
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: washington dc
Posts: 2,022

faeflora is offline
good enough for me to poop on!

#6
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Renie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,777

Renie is offline
PT 6.1 will support ReWire.

I've had brief demo's with Reason -I thought it sounded thin and was fiddly, but so many say it's great creatively, and it could have been the source material I was hearing as thin.

A current article in Future Music talks to the guy from London Elektricity who uses it a lot and PT, he sounded very split about it, loves it but sometimes he said the sound kind of folds and disappears.... but how much of that is digital/musical/mix/arrange skills...?

I will go back and check it out again one day soon.
#7
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #7
Gear interested
 
Deja V.U.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 28

Deja V.U. is offline
I've heard better audio out of 2 way pagers.
#8
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #8
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Ans (Liege) Belgium
Posts: 3,306

C.Lambrechts is offline
a DJ I work with does all his stuff in Reason. The sound sucks ... so do most of the sounds that come standard. He has how ever over time build up a nice sample CD collectionand uses that as a source. For specific kinds of music : dance / lounge / trance etc etc ... it can be an amazing creativity booster. After he's done with the arrangement he brings all the bounced files to the studio. We bring it into ProTools and do all the sounds over again ... track by track ... quite a job but well worth it in the end.

Almost like doing the same thing over again except that some stuff you come up with using softs like reason are quite unique.
__________________
Chris Lambrechts
jho
Thread Starter
#9
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #9
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
mmm. Starting to sound like more a bunch of toy gadgets then serious audio...hm...?

Fae you too funny
#10
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #10
Lives for gear
 
heinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,025

heinz is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Deja V.U.
I've heard better audio out of 2 way pagers.
I admire your choice in pagers, the 1 way pagers are total ass.

Given that one can get virtually any noise imagineable out of Reason, I would refer back to the pilot vs. plane theory.
jho
Thread Starter
#11
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #11
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Yeah I'm really just interested in a more fluid, faster writing tool that is also portable on my Ti, but for sure I'll want to not 'redo' anything once it's done...i'll want to use those tracks. After some more study, it looks like it will be somewhat of a PITA to get it into PT without rewire, which is for PT 6.1...I'm still on 5.3.1...I have to get a new CPU before I attempt that as I'm still on my trusty old Dual 450.
#12
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #12
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: washington dc
Posts: 2,022

faeflora is offline
wat aboot reektor?
#13
25th June 2003
Old 25th June 2003
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Renie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,777

Renie is offline
taint a sequencer iz it
#14
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #14
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: washington dc
Posts: 2,022

faeflora is offline
ooo oook oook! saway!
#15
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #15
Gear nut
 
spacebass's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 82

Send a message via AIM to spacebass
spacebass is offline
i just started using reason 2.5 for my live p.a. that i do and it is rocking my world!
you need to get your own samples and really tweek out stuff but man for live stuff it really kicks ass!

i use it with a peavy 1600x midi controller...set up the asci key board for mute,sends,ect....and i am in dub heaven.

i run it out of my motu sound card via light pipe into my o1v....
as one track is playing i open another...beatmatch the songs dj style....bring up the faders and rock the house....like i said i am in dub heaven!!!!!!!!

no more out board gear for me when doing a show....

as for in the studio i rewire it into cubase....that gives me alot more power to tweek stuff and will reaplce sounds with other synths if needed.

over all it is rock solid....resource friendly like a mofo and just kicks my ass.

it isn't my strat though my old super reverb but hey it sure is fun
#16
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #16
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: washington dc
Posts: 2,022

faeflora is offline
How do you like that peavy controller?
jho
Thread Starter
#17
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #17
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by spacebass
i just started using reason 2.5 for my live p.a. that i do and it is rocking my world!
you need to get your own samples and really tweek out stuff but man for live stuff it really kicks ass!

i use it with a peavy 1600x midi controller...set up the asci key board for mute,sends,ect....and i am in dub heaven.

i run it out of my motu sound card via light pipe into my o1v....
as one track is playing i open another...beatmatch the songs dj style....bring up the faders and rock the house....like i said i am in dub heaven!!!!!!!!

no more out board gear for me when doing a show....

as for in the studio i rewire it into cubase....that gives me alot more power to tweek stuff and will reaplce sounds with other synths if needed.

over all it is rock solid....resource friendly like a mofo and just kicks my ass.

it isn't my strat though my old super reverb but hey it sure is fun

So, I could use Reason 2.5 with my Ti Mac in OSX and with a midi controller, or a zen drum, trigger synths, samples, loops, etc, instead of carrying a rack of gear to gigs? And the sound quality blows you away? I'd have to buy a sound card and a few other items for the Ti...if this is the way to go, which is recommended for a Ti notebook? Would have to be a cardbus ..
#18
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #18
Gear nut
 
3rdpath's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: island of misfit toys
Posts: 125

3rdpath is offline
just read about about software called "reFuse" that syncs reason and PT and allows recording reason instruments directly into PT. works on OS 8.6 thru 9.2.2 but not X.

it's $29.00 and can be found @ www.refusesoftware.com
jho
Thread Starter
#19
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #19
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Excellent. Now which sound card (cardbus slot) for my Ti ? What's the best price/performance card? Any with midi also built in? (sorry for the dumb Q's, I'm a newbee at reason)

Again this is for live use using a midi controller, and for studio use/composing (yeah i morphed into the live needs too )
jho
Thread Starter
#20
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #20
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdpath
just read about about software called "reFuse" that syncs reason and PT and allows recording reason instruments directly into PT. works on OS 8.6 thru 9.2.2 but not X.

it's $29.00 and can be found @ www.refusesoftware.com
Another question, is ReFuse / Reason / PT all required on the same CPU, or can i have it on two separate systems (reason on one, PT on other..) I guess there is probably a export method too if that's the only way to bridge the two system.
#21
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #21
Gear nut
 
3rdpath's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: island of misfit toys
Posts: 125

3rdpath is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Another question, is ReFuse / Reason / PT all required on the same CPU, or can i have it on two separate systems (reason on one, PT on other..) I guess there is probably a export method too if that's the only way to bridge the two system.
i've read of people running seperate systems with reason on one and PT,DP or whatever on another but most everone i know runs them all on the same machine. reason is very cpu friendly though it does use a good deal of ram for it's sample player. if you're running all in one machine then thats one less midi/audio i/o you'll need since everything will take place internally. i wouldn't mind having another monitor to strictly view reason though. i've got 2 19"s and a third would be nice...

sorry, i know nada about Tibooks and related stuff.
jho
Thread Starter
#22
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 1,585

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to jho
jho is offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i've read of people running seperate systems with reason on one and PT,DP or whatever on another but most everone i know runs them all on the same machine. reason is very cpu friendly though it does use a good deal of ram for it's sample player. if you're running all in one machine then thats one less midi/audio i/o you'll need since everything will take place internally. i wouldn't mind having another monitor to strictly view reason though. i've got 2 19"s and a third would be nice...

sorry, i know nada about Tibooks and related stuff.
3rd, thanks for all the answers man. So can reason save the whole session to pull up on another machine, kinda like PT does 'save session copy as'. If that was the case then i could use on both machines..
#23
26th June 2003
Old 26th June 2003
  #23
Gear nut
 
spacebass's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 82

Send a message via AIM to spacebass
spacebass is offline
Quote:
How do you like that peavy controller?
it is cool...a few years old but built like a tank and fully programable.
16 faders, 16 buttons, 2 cv pedals and a continous cotroller.
there are new things out now that i would get but this what i got so that is what i rock

Quote:
So, I could use Reason 2.5 with my Ti Mac in OSX and with a midi controller, or a zen drum, trigger synths, samples, loops, etc, instead of carrying a rack of gear to gigs? And the sound quality blows you away? I'd have to buy a sound card and a few other items for the Ti...if this is the way to go, which is recommended for a Ti notebook? Would have to be a cardbus ..
i am sure you could use it with the ti mac....
and save your back from heavy gear and the set up time is quick as hell....
i use it with a rack pc that i built ....i plan on getting a laptop as soon as i can afford one.

as far as the sound quality goes....it doesn't "blow me away" but for live none of the drunk/stoned/high people at a club have a clue if it is a "real" synth/sampler or reason.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
flex / Music Computers
8
wedgewedge / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
1
wedgewedge / Music Computers
0
chris777 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
22

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.